ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Weather

Hwy17

Jul 22, 2002
Every year these early season games get cancelled or postponed due to lightning or tropical systems. Looking like we are going to be dealing with a cat 1 hurricane early next week.

Every year these early season games get cancelled or postponed due to lightning or tropical systems.
"A bolt outta the blue" is more than an old expression.

This is the time of year when otherwise intelligent people get struck by lightning. A person can be sitting or standing in the sunshine with scattered lighning strikes on the horizon - intermittent strikes that are perhaps as much as 5-6 miles away. The person feels no immediate danger and discounts the fact that the strikes appear to be hitting the ground as much as 5-6 miles apart.

What does this mean? There's a definite threat that the next random bolt could come down right on top of his/her head or close enough to inflict a lot of damage.

Sadly, back in the 90's a kid named Tony McKenna was killed by a random strike during/after practice at Mariner HS. The field at Mainer was re-named in his honor.

Take precautions ... not chances. There are usually no "do-overs" when it comes to being struck by lightning. Stay alive!

"A bolt outta the blue" is more than an old expression.

This is the time of year when otherwise intelligent people get struck by lightning. A person can be sitting or standing in the sunshine with scattered lighning strikes on the horizon - intermittent strikes that are perhaps as much as 5-6 miles away. The person feels no immediate danger and discounts the fact that the strikes appear to be hitting the ground as much as 5-6 miles apart.

What does this mean? There's a definite threat that the next random bolt could come down right on top of his/her head or close enough to inflict a lot of damage.

Sadly, back in the 90's a kid named Tony McKenna was killed by a random strike during/after practice at Mariner HS. The field at Mainer was re-named in his honor.

Take precautions ... not chances. There are usually no "do-overs" when it comes to being struck by lightning. Stay alive!

Intelligent as in the ones who get on the golf course even though the sky is dark and black?

I may report to the Volusia or Brevard EOC.

Stay safe and have a plan now. This could do some damage to the CFLA coast. Lets hope it veers north and gives CatScratch and I some long period swell with sunny skies.

Neutral, because of you this is now all in one post....

Also, any protocol on missed practices Monday thru Wednesday and whether or not the teams play? We actually missed a game once because of the hurricanes.

Four out of our last eight practices delayed or cut short by lightning. This week we conditioned after stretching.
I want to be safe, but every time I wonder if our opponents are missing reps, too.

In Junior High my whole team got hit, not a harsh looking cloud in the sky, just some puffy white ones - that same year I think four kids got killed in Tampa at a practice. We all just got a bad bolt of electricity pulse through us. We figured it personasized us, because we went undefeated that year and handed Ft Myers JH their first loss in 5 years. I got hit another time working for Cable Services one summer home from college on the phone calling in from a job site and a bolt hit a transformer a block or so away. One of our coaches told me his car got hit once and blew a window out.

In Junior High my whole team got hit, not a harsh looking cloud in the sky, just some puffy white ones - that same year I think four kids got killed in Tampa at a practice. We all just got a bad bolt of electricity pulse through us. We figured it personasized us, because we went undefeated that year and handed Ft Myers JH their first loss in 5 years. I got hit another time working for Cable Services one summer home from college on the phone calling in from a job site and a bolt hit a transformer a block or so away. One of our coaches told me his car got hit once and blew a window out.
This would be one of those Aah-Ha moments.

Reactions: Silver King
Governor Scott declares state of emergency this morning. Looks like Erika is coming!
This state of emergency is brought to you by ... Home Depot, we make do it yourself easier. ... Publix Supermarkets, where shopping for batteries and bottled water is a pleasure. .... and The Weather Channel, instilling panic since 1988.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
,Gov. Scott driving the economy.

After Charley, SK's hometown looked an awful lot like Berlin did in May, 1945. SK hadn't even weaned off the Rum yet before the Red Cross arrived with water - then they started handing out those MRIs that had a caloric intake for a 20 year old kid humping 75lbs of gear all day in a combat zone.

Now SK has stared down two Cat 4 Hurricanes; Miss Donna and Sir Charles. SK's advice for anyone new to this phenomena is this: Put 2-3 handle bottles of alcohol at the top of your hurricane list, some limes, invest in a Yeti and put block ice in it. You have a generator and $99 window shaker A/C and Bob's your Uncle. Both Donna and Charley were what they call around Punta Gorda, "Two bottle hurricanes."

,Gov. Scott driving the economy.

After Charley, SK's hometown looked an awful lot like Berlin did in May, 1945. SK hadn't even weaned off the Rum yet before the Red Cross arrived with water - then they started handing out those MRIs that had a caloric intake for a 20 year old kid humping 75lbs of gear all day in a combat zone.

Now SK has stared down two Cat 4 Hurricanes; Miss Donna and Sir Charles. SK's advice for anyone new to this phenomena is this: Put 2-3 handle bottles of alcohol at the top of your hurricane list, some limes, invest in a Yeti and put block ice in it. You have a generator and $99 window shaker A/C and Bob's your Uncle. Both Donna and Charley were what they call around Punta Gorda, "Two bottle hurricanes."

Latest track showing it going south of Cuba and to the west, hitting Florida around Naples or Marco. Sounds like Charley, but I recall Charley was already a cat 2 by this time.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
Charley also stayed over open water in the Gulf until it bolted up Charlotte Harbor and sucked up that hot shallow water that acts like jet fuel for a hurricane. If this skates along the coast it won't be as bad as one bumped in by the right low and high rotations from off shore. Now hopefully it won't gain steam in the straits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT