ADVERTISEMENT

Apopka 49 Deland 7

DarterBlue2

Aug 2, 2003
On its first drive Apopka fumbled away the ball. Deland proceeded to march 60 yards on its drive to score first ... and then ... the wheels fell off.

When I left midway through the third quarter with a running clock going, Apopka led 42-7 and had, I believe, over 400 yards rushing with not a single pass attempt. This was by far the best performance on the ground by Apopka to date (aside from two lost fumbles); however, some clouds exist. Without a passing game, better, more athletic teams will slow down if not stop the ground game. Secondly, some injuries were sustained in the game. Hope the kids are not out long, but with a not too deep roster, this is not good. Finally, early in the game Deland actually moved the ball pretty well. A team with a quick quarterback with a good arm (I am thinking Mainland), would give the defense a lot to think about.

Still, all in all, it was a pretty good night and our best start in several years.

Dp couldn't stop Barrett! West Orange scored w/ 20 secs left then got the 2 to go up by 1... ahh what a game. Looking forward to next week! DP-APK oh yeah ohh yeahh

Darter, nice venue there at Spec Martin. Apopka is out of the gate strong this year. The offense is rolling. They looked really good on the Channel 9 ,11:30 highlight show. Deland is a shell of what they were a few short years ago( saw them beat Apopka in the playoffs). Athletes are leaving in bunches. God knows there's enough great ones in that little sleepy town. When the product on the field looks like Mainland West they'll be back. Until then 49-7.

Dp couldn't stop Barrett! West Orange scored w/ 20 secs left then got the 2 to go up by 1... ahh what a game. Looking forward to next week! DP-APK oh yeah ohh yeahh

Mid I don't like this scenario playing out over there at Dr Phillips. ( you either, I'll bet ) My hope was you would be undefeated. Apopka then Mainland, right ? Did DP ever lose three straight ? Good teams always right the ship before that happens....poor Mainland :)

Darter, nice venue there at Spec Martin. Apopka is out of the gate strong this year. The offense is rolling. They looked really good on the Channel 9 ,11:30 highlight show. Deland is a shell of what they were a few short years ago( saw them beat Apopka in the playoffs). Athletes are leaving in bunches. God knows there's enough great ones in that little sleepy town. When the product on the field looks like Mainland West they'll be back. Until then 49-7.

Yes, very nice venue. The only thing missing is adequate parking. I sat on the home side the first quarter as the sun was still too hot on the visitor side for an old geezer like me then. They like their football and know the game. I would best describe them as "Southern Polite." It reminded me of a game I went to in North Carolina when I was out of town on assignment. Deland lost because they had trouble with Apopka's blocking schemes and could not cope with our speed. Against more conventional, less athletic offenses they will be fine.

Actually the demeanor was kind of alright at Dp. We lettem off the hook! 1st and goal from the 2, up 13-0 with time winding down in the half and we cant go up 20-0. Half 13-12 after some great plays for WO.

I like this schedule. If we went 10-5 and won the title i'd be good...

Apopka is on cruise control on offense.. What's scary is how early it is. They face a good opponent this week.

BTW, I hope Apopka doesn't travel to WOHS this year. I don't usually do this, but they were manipulating the clock at the end of the game. I yelled from the stands and then everybody started noticing. While DP was driving (27-27, 4 minutes left) they were stopping the clock when no first down was made. DP scored with about 4 minutes left due to the clock.... Then, West Orange had it, and the clock just burned down to a spectacular convenience to WO. I mean right when the ref would signal, the clock would start on a dime as if it were a damn competition. Either way, we saw it. It was the last straw when they briught the clock from 23 seconds to 17 seconds at the end of the game WHEN WEST ORANGE WAS GOING FOR TWO. I yelled so loud that I believe the refs actually heard me and had the clock changed. It was THAT bad at the end. Get a new clock guy WOHS

MID, West Orange comes to Apopka this year. The only away district game we have is Evans. This Friday should be interesting. If DP keeps Apopka under 28 points you have a great chance to win, as I believe you will score some against us. But you never know ... that is why the game is played on the field.

Pham Nam saw the beast "rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of his jeep." (Darlington 13:1)

Offensive totals for Apopka were: Rushing, 36-519, 7TD; Passing, Let's see here. Oh, there they are.... 0-0-0, 0, 0TD.

DeLand totals: Rushing, 16-19, 1TD; Passing 22-38-1, 199.

BTW, I hope Apopka doesn't travel to WOHS this year. I don't usually do this, but they were manipulating the clock at the end of the game. I yelled from the stands and then everybody started noticing. While DP was driving (27-27, 4 minutes left) they were stopping the clock when no first down was made. DP scored with about 4 minutes left due to the clock.... Then, West Orange had it, and the clock just burned down to a spectacular convenience to WO. I mean right when the ref would signal, the clock would start on a dime as if it were a damn competition. Either way, we saw it. It was the last straw when they briught the clock from 23 seconds to 17 seconds at the end of the game WHEN WEST ORANGE WAS GOING FOR TWO. I yelled so loud that I believe the refs actually heard me and had the clock changed. It was THAT bad at the end. Get a new clock guy WOHS

As DB said, WO comes to Apopka this year.

Mid, Clock operator should have been zebra just like the guys on the field.

Clock operator would have been an official with the crew on the field... So I am not sure if you you can claim homerism on that as they would be Orange County Officials... Perhaps WO has technical clock issues though.

Jambun any thoughts?

I wish I videotaped. They even ran the clock on the two pointer before I (and probably some coaches) yelled and caught it. Brought it from 24 seconds to 17. Running back out of bounds with 4:00 left and the clock doesn't start until the next snap... keep in mind this is a game-winning drive where DP is trying to run. Remind me if I'm wrong on the out of bounds clock stoppage until the next snap (no first down on the play).

All I'm saying is I'm not alone on this one. It almost became a joke. I'd also like to see the 4th and 1 that WO converted on their game winning drive, looked like he made a football move before getting hit behind the LOS. I hate being a complainer but I call it like I see it.

Might have been a rookie clock operator... You might want to see what crew was doing the game that night because you might get them again home or away.

out of bounds the clock stops until the next snap

Is that 100% of the time? For instance, if an official is going to give forward progress and/or deems that forward progress was stopped in bounds...doesn't that mean he continues to wind the clock? I haven't been on a high school sideline in years, so I don't recall...I just know that's how it works in college ball.

If he deems forward progress was stopped in bounds, then he's not out of bounds......geez.

Thanks for clearing that up. I hope I didn't yell too loud on that one... I'm a real loose cannon in the stands sometimes.

Also, West Orange is excellent. Not taking anything away from them.

My question - will Apopka be able to pass? Lake Mary and West Orange were both able to move the ball through the air against DP, as both had very good QBs.... Woody Barrett of West Orange is 'elite' in my opinion... He's very good on the run and throws dimes.

I just hope our defense can limit you guys somewhat. There is lots of talent on D but right now they need to do better playing as a unit. Too many missed tackles last week and thats basically a death sentence (too far?) against Apopka. Our offense is good and can score on any play but has been inconsistent (penalties, some 3-and-outs, etc.

By the way, last note, not sure if you guys have checked out DJs latest ranking, but 5 CFLA teams are in. It could be 6 with Cocoa if they didn't play the Monstars last week.

Last edited:
My question - will Apopka be able to pass? Lake Mary and West Orange were both able to move the ball through the air against DP, as both had very good QBs....

Apopka is able to pass. The correct question is: will Apopka pass some or any at all? And therein may lie the key to the game.

Thanks for clearing that up. I hope I didn't yell too loud on that one... I'm a real loose cannon in the stands sometimes.

"Nothing that I can do will change the structure of the universe. But maybe, by raising my voice, I can help the greatest of all causes – goodwill among men and peace on earth.” Albert Einstein

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
Apopka is able to pass. The correct question is: will Apopka pass some or any at all? And therein may lie the key to the game.

I saw Apopka on film and I don't have much confidence in them being able to pass consistently. They will always have pass plays that will hit big because of the running attack, but their "QB" missed wide open receivers against Ocoee.

I'm certain there's no accounting for what Coach Darlington did against Lake City...it was a preseason game, right? I have met the man, the myth, the legend of Coach Rick Darlington (CRD) on one occasion - in Sumter County of all places! I have also heard him speak at a couple of clinics (I guess it's just two...although it seems like twenty!) and - like all good coaches - I've studied (at least unscientifically) his programs from a distance...here's what I have deduced over the years, concerning CRD:
  1. For him, he is not willing to pay what he could lose in a preseason game in exchange for what he could gain. This is a good one to follow, boys. Ask yourself, is one "real time" live scrimmage worth showing all your cards? Or, is it worth more of your time to show what you're not good at? For example, APK tossing the rock around against Columbia. It is easy to be committed to an idea...it is hard to stay committed to a process. Think about it.
  2. In the preseason, for the greats, all action is based on deception. So, when they are actively working on something, they appear inactive - maybe a third and long, seemingly meaningless inside trap play...truth be told, that's the play they're looking to work on. They try to appear uninterested..."Yeah, I'm going to play my freshmen and the sophomores who will only see the field for the last time this JV season."
  3. In the preseason, give both sides of the ball what they need, but don't give them too much so they don't grow overconfident. Ties in with #1...there is no way CRD felt the need to expose all of his strengths in order to win a game that counts for nothing. Base defense. Vanilla offense with an emphasis on what they're weakest at.
  4. Know when to fight and when not to fight...
  5. Know how to manage your resources so you have them at their strength when you really need them...
  6. Know how to manipulate preseason games to develop a strong sense of esprit de corps...
  7. Know how to let assistant fail in a safe environment...
I didn't go to the APK-LCC preseason game...but go back and watch the film and I bet I'm right on at least 5 of those 7.

Slight of hand with these fellas..."Yawn. Oh, we're terrible...Oh, we can't run the ball this year...Oh, please take it easy on us." Next thing you know, they light you up for 80!

Peezy, it sounds like probably a first year official who just wasn't paying attention, and maybe didn't know the rules for clock starting and stopping. There is no excuse for it though, and it is a shame that a big game like West Orange-Dr. Phillips had these issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT