ADVERTISEMENT

Apocalypto and the Private/Public debate

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Its Christmas and rather than good wishes, I see the board is consumed with a new wave of STA Private/public debates - a 3rd generation if you will since I’ve been on this board. New morphs arise to recycle the same party lines just like in a political election. It made me remember this scene from Apocalypto.

“These are the days of our great lament. A great plague infests our crops…I say we are a people of destiny. Destined to be the Master’s of Time. Destined to be the nearest to the gods.”

Broward isn't a morph though neither is Zoe. Same argument different folk which to me speaks more to the similarities in regional mindset without some made uo special needs identity.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Yea i see a few. But the main 3 in that argument arent... They kept the thread going by their selves really

Silver, sticking with your Apocalypto theme, as a tribute to those few public schools that play STA and ESCAPE with a win!

Go Canes Go!

Ha ha, good one Gatorman, we beat STA last time we played them, you guys have beat them. The battle is still being waged over on the other post with someone new because the one STA guy won't let alone. They just don't see how obnoxious they come off.

Ha ha, good one Gatorman, we beat STA last time we played them, you guys have beat them. The battle is still being waged over on the other post with someone new because the one STA guy won't let alone. They just don't see how obnoxious they come off.

They come off particularly obnoxious when they present more accurate information than the clowns that start the STA false BS statements, don't you think?

Let's call the individuals that are accurate in their statements the obnoxious ones, rather than point out and expose the jealous fools making false statements?

Let's call out the individuals that are continuing a string with accuracy and keep it going even if we have to call them the "obnoxious ones." You share no opinion for those that present BS, but one is in the wrong for accuracy. Forget facts, all that matters is we have to attack the guy presenting facts in defense of STA, right?
Great logic there.

No STA guy here, just a guy that backs up facts. But keep calling out the wrong individuals for keeping this string going....

Last edited:
They come off particularly obnoxious when they present more accurate information than the clowns that start the STA false BS statements, don't you think?

Let's call the individuals that are accurate in their statements the obnoxious ones, rather than point out and expose the jealous fools making false statements?

Let's call out the individuals that are continuing a string with accuracy and keep it going even if we have to call them the "obnoxious ones." You share no opinion for those that present BS, but one is in the wrong for accuracy. Forget facts, all that matters is we have to attack the guy presenting facts in defense of STA, right?
Great logic there.

No STA guy here, just a guy that backs up facts. But keep calling out the wrong individuals for keeping this string going....

BH, sometimes it is best to leave things be. Unless one gets inherent enjoyment from arguing for the sole sake of arguing, continuing the thread serves no purpose. What I can say is this: 1. Privates that have the express goal and financial resources are able to put together teams that only a few public schools in select locations can ever hope to compete with. 2. With the new changes going into effect next season, certain large schools in relatively low population areas will never again (at least not till rules are again changed) compete for a state title.

What implications the above have for high school football in the state of Florida are yet to be fully comprehended. My best guess is that the finals continue to see erosion in attendance. But I could be wrong ...

Honkeykong's kids are being recruited by public schools that are not their "assigned" school. Maybe public schools should be assessed 1.5 multipliers?? Or, should post-season success equate to a "move up" for any public or private school team?

STA is a joke!! Play a national schedule. U have an all star team with TERRIABLE coaches. The coaches are TERRIABLE

By any chance do you own a dictionary or know how to access one online?

How numb are you?

You don't know the first definition of "all-star"...

Here is a little help:

all-star: consisting of athletes chosen as the best at their positions from all teams in a league or region

Also....We are still waiting @ Keepingitrealinssrq . If you don't come up with a reply soon and continue to bash specific coaching, and a specific school I will have no other option but to report you to the moderating team here under those grounds.
BRING THE FACTS FORWARD!

But keep attacking coaching and a school while the FHSAA just laughs at the big picture and what you are whining about.

Last edited:
SK is intrigued by skunks and the movie Ground Hog Day too; but doesn't enjoy the smell of skunk no matter how much its perfumed nor does he need to replay the movie over and over.

While people weren't paying attention, here's what happened to the game of high school football.

Think of football as a bicycle race. Back in the day, all teams used to show up with one of these:
schwinn_0028-roadmaster.jpg

Then private schools that wished to exert their dominance became smart enough to figure out the rules could not prevent them from rolling out one of these:

whiz14.jpg

Inevitably, "big time" public programs realized that bringing a bicycle to a bicycle race was a recipe for disaster, so they started circumventing boundary-line restrictions and showed up with one of these:

vintage-motorcycles-gear-patrol-harley-XR750.jpg

That was then. This is now. To compete for a spot in today's FHSAA State Final "bicycle races", don't even bother to start the season unless you plan to roll out one of these:

Honda+CBR+1100XX+Super++4.jpg

WHAT DOES "PROGRESS" MEAN TO 99% OF ALL HIGH SCHOOLS?

StolenBikes_AsFnd_3.jpg

IT MEANS THEY HAVE NO PRAYER OF EVER CONTENDING FOR A STATE TITLE

Handi capper why don't you get it? Weather or not these kids are being recruited doesn't really matter. The point is a team like STA is a place where BCS level players just show up to play football. Is unfair to the rest of the schools in 7A. If the university of Florida had a loop hole to get 100 players school paid for where it is normally (85), and they found a loop hole to have unlimited home visits with these athletes year round, it would not be fair to the rest of the SEC. How can you not see a problem with a team rolling out 40+ BCS guys against a plant or Venice or Lakeland or who the hell ever? I know her comes the "Lakeland beat us 3 times in a row" yea but you guys were not "recruiting" or the 3 losses made more kids "just show up" that landscape was different for STA then. It was competitive before. Yes STA had a better roster than most, but nowhere close to what it is now.

QB- Jake Allen (Florida)
RB's
1. Epstein (Illinois)
2. Bryan (s. Carolina)
3. Carter (Michigan, OSU, LSU)
4. Llewelyn (n. Illinois )

WR
1. Grimes (OSU)
2. Harley (Mississippi st)
3. Palmer (Syracuse)
4. E. Moore (BAMA, Miami )
5. Merrill (FAU)
6. J. Moore (FIU)
7. Kelly (Rutgers)
8. T. Phillips (NC STATE, Temple)

O-LINE
1. Haslem (Florida)
2. Sweeney (Colorado st, UCLA)
3. Miller (Vandy)
4. Stainerling (Mississippi st)
5. Swann (Missisippi st)
6. Murphy (Kentucky)
7. Slawek (Sryacuse)

DEFENSE

D-LINE
1. Dunning (Missisippi st)
2. Benett (Tennesee)
3. Bell (Michigan state)
4. Bonitto (Florida)
5. Etienne (FAU)
6. Munoz (MIZZU, Kentucky)
7. D. Dummervil (Michigan st)
8. M. Dummervil (Florida, Usf)

LINEBACKERS
1. White (Notre Dame)
2. Tucker (Pitt)
3. Troutmam (L'VILLE)
4. Shelton (AUB, FSU)
5. Solomon (BAMA, LSU)
6. Mackie (Kentucky, NC State)

DB's
1. Blades (MIAMI)
2. Samuel (Miami)
3. Davis (MIZZU, Missisippi State)
4. Melvin (Syracuse)
5. Daranijo (UCF)
6. Wright (New Mexico)
7. Jacobs (Valdosta state)
8. Veilland (Georgetown)

Handi capper why don't you get it? Weather or not these kids are being recruited doesn't really matter. The point is a team like STA is a place where BCS level players just show up to play football. Is unfair to the rest of the schools in 7A. If the university of Florida had a loop hole to get 100 players school paid for where it is normally (85), and they found a loop hole to have unlimited home visits with these athletes year round, it would not be fair to the rest of the SEC. How can you not see a problem with a team rolling out 40+ BCS guys against a plant or Venice or Lakeland or who the hell ever? I know her comes the "Lakeland beat us 3 times in a row" yea but you guys were not "recruiting" or the 3 losses made more kids "just show up" that landscape was different for STA then. It was competitive before. Yes STA had a better roster than most, but nowhere close to what it is now.

Who said you could talk or comment on here?

I would vent your thoughts and feeling with the FHSAA. Bashing , venting , going back and forth about STA with me and others are not going to get you anywhere. Just make sure you have your numbers and ducks in order when you contact the FHSAA. They would probably prefer facts .....

QB- Jake Allen (Florida)
RB's
1. Epstein (Illinois)
2. Bryan (s. Carolina)
3. Carter (Michigan, OSU, LSU)
4. Llewelyn (n. Illinois )

WR
1. Grimes (OSU)
2. Harley (Mississippi st)
3. Palmer (Syracuse)
4. E. Moore (BAMA, Miami )
5. Merrill (FAU)
6. J. Moore (FIU)
7. Kelly (Rutgers)
8. T. Phillips (NC STATE, Temple)

O-LINE
1. Haslem (Florida)
2. Sweeney (Colorado st, UCLA)
3. Miller (Vandy)
4. Stainerling (Mississippi st)
5. Swann (Missisippi st)
6. Murphy (Kentucky)
7. Slawek (Sryacuse)

DEFENSE

D-LINE
1. Dunning (Missisippi st)
2. Benett (Tennesee)
3. Bell (Michigan state)
4. Bonitto (Florida)
5. Etienne (FAU)
6. Munoz (MIZZU, Kentucky)
7. D. Dummervil (Michigan st)
8. M. Dummervil (Florida, Usf)

LINEBACKERS
1. White (Notre Dame)
2. Tucker (Pitt)
3. Troutmam (L'VILLE)
4. Shelton (AUB, FSU)
5. Solomon (BAMA, LSU)
6. Mackie (Kentucky, NC State)

DB's
1. Blades (MIAMI)
2. Samuel (Miami)
3. Davis (MIZZU, Missisippi State)
4. Melvin (Syracuse)
5. Daranijo (UCF)
6. Wright (New Mexico)
7. Jacobs (Valdosta state)
8. Veilland (Georgetown)

Yeah, that look's about right for a the strongest HS football private school in SFL - The HS football capital of the US in a largely populated area. I expect the list to grow over the next few years.

Not to change the subject or anything but could you please present the 21 BCS players that transferred in 2016 in accordance with your self-proclaimed statement?

Question for you... Did the Venice Coaches, Players, Parents look at that roster pregame and decide "F IT WE GOT NO CHANCE"?

Question for you... Did the Venice Coaches, Players, Parents look at that roster pregame and decide "F IT WE GOT NO CHANCE"?

Peezy, I cant speak for what may or may not have happen pregame with the Venice coaches, players, and parents, but I can speak to the post game remarks which would seemed to indicate that more time was spent on excuse composition, than preparing their young men to be in the best position to win a game.........noimsayin?

Go Canes Go!

Peezy, I cant speak for what may or may not have happen pregame with the Venice coaches, players, and parents, but I can speak to the post game remarks which would seemed to indicate that more time was spent on excuse composition, than preparing their young men to be in the best position to win a game.........noimsayin?

Go Canes Go!

My same thoughts GMan. Which is why i asked

Based on how the game played out, probably yes. And in all honesty, if I were a Venice coach or Plant coach, I, too, would be pissed. However, I would keep that (S) to myself and try my best to put my team in a position to pull the upset. Afterwords, if I felt I could impact the landscape going forward, I would file my protests with the appropriate authorities with the hope of getting meaningful changes going forward.

A leader never turns his troops into cannon fodder for the enemy. He devises the best strategy he can with what he got. Between battles (in the off-season), you do what you can (if anything can be done) to try and level the playing field.

I remember Boone's staff taking the same position as Venice's facing Miami Northwestern in 2007. A lot of good it did them. Interestingly, the year before, with a very similar team, Lake Brantley made a game of it for the better part of three quarters, while Boone was beaten from before the opening kickoff. If kids (or men) see their leadership cave, you really can't expect much fight from them.

Darter, I thought Brantley lost to MNW in Miami the year before MNW beat Boone in Orlando. The year after that MNW lost to SEminole in Orlando.

Darter, I thought Brantley lost to MNW in Miami the year before MNW beat Boone in Orlando. The year after that MNW lost to SEminole in Orlando.

That is correct. What I am saying is that Boone should have taken the same approach as Lake Brantley. The year LB fought well into the third, in the semis, LB beat Boone 34-31 in a back and forth game. Boone 2007 was no worse than Boone 2006 which pushed LB to the limit. The difference was that LB thought they had a chance. Boone on the other hand entered the game "knowing" they had lost.

The following year Seminole beat NMW. But this was a depleted MNW team. So I hesitate to use Seminole as a measuring rod. The 2006 and 2007 MNW teams were very similar with, IMHO, 2006 being slightly better as they had Esterling at Running Back to compliment the QB and standout WRs plus they had the coaching staff that put together this great team fully intact. The 2007 team almost coached itself.

I'm told that Venice absolutely went into the game with the feeling they had a "puncher's chance".

But by halftime, reality and extra curricular stuff turned the game into a near riot.

I'm told that Venice absolutely went into the game with the feeling they had a "puncher's chance".

But by halftime, reality and extra curricular stuff turned the game into a near riot.

Yeah, one Venice mother was clearly under the influence of something. Pretty embarrassing. Did you see the video of here? Do you want to see it?

Keep kicking a dead horse. Man you know how Popeye can just stands so much and then can't stands it no more?

That lady who you identified as a Venice fan may or may not have been drunk or on something as you keep implying. She just looked like an irate fan making a passionate point she believed strongly in - no slurring words or stumbling (But you appear to be an expert on altered states, so I'll defer). And, I'll even agree with you, her actions were very embarrassing. But she was an individual not a representative of a team or program.

But since you're all about this embarrassment theme, what's your take on how actual representatives of a school or program look when a coaching staff cant control their team in a HAND SHAKE line? St Thomas Aquinas football players were stone cold sober I'm guessing, yet went completely out of control - not during an incident during a game, but in a handshake line. You know (maybe you don't); when you're supposed to show SPORTSMANSHIP. It's over at that point - before I brought up anything or anybody being embarrassed, I might be a little embarrassed about that institutionally.

SK

If you know the history of Aquinas athletics, especially football the last 25 years or so, those actions you speak of are "par for the course". And it will get worse under the current cartel.

That us "against the world"(and anything decent) mentality controls their every thought.

I know FHSAA officials that have told me stories that would make any law-abiding, tax- paying citizen cringe.

It is what it is, but stay tuned.

Yes I do know the history, I played in college with an STA LB, he showed me their program, and brought me to meet Chris Everett who he used to date (We missed her, she was practicing up state for a tournament, but met her dad and sister who loved the guy). He introduced me to his coach who had also coached Brian Piccolo. St Thomas quietly gave Charlotte their first gate in 2004 season only 2nd season after we beat them, after our school was destroyed by Hurricane Charley. STA, Ft Myers and Venice, all teams we've battled, were all very classy that way - it was sportsmanship at its finest.

I've never had a problem with them as a team, they have an advantage and are utilizing it. I've just had just some issues with a few of their misguided fans.

Keep kicking a dead horse. Man you know how Popeye can just stands so much and then can't stands it no more?

That lady who you identified as a Venice fan may or may not have been drunk or on something as you keep implying. She just looked like an irate fan making a passionate point she believed strongly in - no slurring words or stumbling (But you appear to be an expert on altered states, so I'll defer). And, I'll even agree with you, her actions were very embarrassing. But she was an individual not a representative of a team or program.

But since you're all about this embarrassment theme, what's your take on how actual representatives of a school or program look when a coaching staff cant control their team in a HAND SHAKE line? St Thomas Aquinas football players were stone cold sober I'm guessing, yet went completely out of control - not during an incident during a game, but in a handshake line. You know (maybe you don't); when you're supposed to show SPORTSMANSHIP. It's over at that point - before I brought up anything or anybody being embarrassed, I might be a little embarrassed about that institutionally.

It's only "kicking a dead horse" when BrowardHandicapper speaks, right? Only when that guy speaks relative to STA , right?

Who is the person that keeps pouring splash of gas on this Silver King, who would that be? :)

I have never seen anything like the Venice woman after a game. To run on a field and behave like that after a HS Football game and half of her senseless speech was not even about football, it was about race. Anybody that runs on a field during a media conference looking for exposure is either a clown or perhaps one-self/dangerous to others, or perhaps just flat out under the influence of something. Based on the individuals tone , I'll say the last. She actually was stumbling a bit (watch the video again) and although she was not a representative of the team she proudly sported a large "V" in silver glitter on her shirt while she cursed and basically referenced racism tied to STA. Am I right or am I right?

I am not going to get into internal details with STA in a "HAND SHAKE " line but I'm guessing there is more to the story then what you present. Do you find it odd that STA had hard fought, with what appeared to be frustrating losses to Bishop Gorman and BTW and the "HAND SHAKE" line and "SPORTSMANSHIP" went standard? Do you really think STA just decided to randomly avoid sportsmanship SOLELY with a petty 7A team? I have seen much nastier, more physical teams play STA here locally and in the end STA displays SPORTSMANSHIP. That said , I don't know the details of how/why that went down .
But hey.....Let's just blame it on STA regardless, right?
I don't represent STA institutionally and with all due respect STA probably doesn't give a damn about what a few clowns on this board say about them.

Last edited:
Yes I do know the history, I played in college with an STA LB, he showed me their program, and brought me to meet Chris Everett who he used to date (We missed her, she was practicing up state for a tournament, but met her dad and sister who loved the guy). He introduced me to his coach who had also coached Brian Piccolo. St Thomas quietly gave Charlotte their first gate in 2004 season only 2nd season after we beat them, after our school was destroyed by Hurricane Charley. STA, Ft Myers and Venice, all teams we've battled, were all very classy that way - it was sportsmanship at its finest.

I've never had a problem with them as a team, they have an advantage and are utilizing it. I've just had just some issues with a few of their misguided fans.

SK, the funny thing is, Broward is not really a St. Thomas fan; just a fan of South Florida football. And he is actually a nice person to hang out with, knowledgeable and willing to listen to opposing points of view when presented rationally. Thus, I find it a bit strange that this debate (actually the word here is a bit of a non-sequitur), has continued for so long.

SK, the funny thing is, Broward is not really a St. Thomas fan; just a fan of South Florida football. And he is actually a nice person to hang out with, knowledgeable and willing to listen to opposing points of view when presented rationally. Thus, I find it a bit strange that this debate (actually the word here is a bit of a non-sequitur), has continued for so long.

Nothing wrong at all with being a fan, just don't be a d$ck to people like keepinitreal, who doesn't share his view on Aquinas and recruiting in general.

I am not going to get into internal details with STA in a "HAND SHAKE " line but I'm guessing there is more to the story then what you present .

I played 10 years through college and from playing down in Lakeshore Belle Glade (rocks hitting the bus as we arrived) before it was Glades Central, to Sebring ( getting pelted with oranges) and watching the cops arrive because someone got knifed and killed in a fight in the bathroom. I was in some viciously fought games in high school and college and never once had an issue in a handshake line. But over that period of time, I had coaches that instilled in me and my teammates a respect of the game. You didn't cross that line in my programs or there were serious consequences. But I'm guessing with guys arriving for one or two year stints in a program, its hard to mold them into a complete, disciplined player.

Look, I don't know why you're so bent out of shape about this, particularly if Darter Blue is vouching for you - but you kept calling the Venice guy out after he disengaged asking for your list and then you decided to trot out this irate woman again. You're baiting him.

I haven't seen you post much until this latest STA run - we're used to it on this board, the Miami / Dade crowd coming and on crowing, started with STA. My very first post on here was a response to a guy called Oracle who was a horses ass of the highest order going on and on about their "annual playoff tune-up through the west coast". That was after we beat them.

Next it was a guy from Miami Killian threatening to get on a bus to go up and beat some Coco people's ass because they wouldn't agree that Killian was the overall best in the state. Then the Northwestern Crowd, Then Central telling us why their football is superior, why we should schedule more of their teams. Charlotte plays a couple of Miami Dade teams regular season and usually thump them - we put 66 on N Miami this season. What are there 40 teams in Miami with that massive population? And what, maybe 4-6 teams each year are great programs? Then as their fortunes change we don't hear from them anymore until the next genius arrives to crow.

Most of the crowd on here supports their teams during the good, the bad, and the ugly. You'll have to excuse us if we see a pattern developing like we've seen before; we tend to get a little tired of it.

My 3 sons played in my old program - you couldn't have offered any of us anything - not even a state title - for any of us to trade the experience we had playing with the guys we grew up with. Two of us got to semi-final games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT