ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody feelin' 67

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Heck, anyone even old enough to remember the classic 1967 Monterey Pop Festival - a few damn good acts, and Janis broke out there? (67 also SKs HS number). Anyway a little Hump Day tune from one of the best and most underappreciated vocalists of the 1960s. Also had one of the best bass players in rock; Chas Chandler. We Gotta Get Out of this Place (Classic played at fire bases around Vietnam) was the first Top 40 song ever to start with a bass-lead, betcha didn't know that. SK a little bored waiting for Ft Myers Tsunami Defense to come to Punta Gorda Friday.

Hot dog, Hammer time, there you go. The culture and depth of this board never ceases to amaze me (Also, sometimes the depth of depravity).

I was too young to listen to that kind of music in '67. I did see Don Henley on TV last week and he has a new album out. What a voice!

Reactions: Silver King
You're a man of good taste Danny. Man she tore it up, what a voice. I was a huge Janis Joplin fan. Somewhere around here I have a brick from her house in Port Arthur, Texas. In college she was a big part of my pre-game music. No head sets, just the LP before heading to dress or the bus. How about Momma Case diggin it?

OK, since I wrote that this morning I've been thinking about that bass riff all day. Since its the 50th anniversary of this song and Lyndon B. Johnson sending combat troops to Vietnam, here it is

OK, since I wrote that this morning I've been thinking about that bass riff all day. Since its the 50th anniversary of this song and Lyndon B. Johnson sending combat troops to Vietnam.
Good music, but unfortunately it always evokes memories about American blood being spilled in a Civil War in a damn jungle on the other side of the world.

Yeah for sure, I'm writing a book about Vietnam right now, about 180 pages in. Most of the guys I've interviewed said we shouldn't have been there. Here's what the architect of that war, Robert S. McNamara (Sec of Defense for both Kennedy and Johnson) confessed when he was 85: They believed that we had simply replaced the French as a colonial power, and we were seeking to subject South and North Vietnam to our colonial interests, which was absolutely absurd. And we, we saw Vietnam as an element of the Cold War. Not what they saw it as: a civil war.

Yeah for sure, I'm writing a book about Vietnam right now, about 180 pages in. Most of the guys I've interviewed said we shouldn't have been there. Here's what the architect of that war, Robert S. McNamara (Sec of Defense for both Kennedy and Johnson) confessed when he was 85: They believed that we had simply replaced the French as a colonial power, and we were seeking to subject South and North Vietnam to our colonial interests, which was absolutely absurd. And we, we saw Vietnam as an element of the Cold War. Not what they saw it as: a civil war.
Nu'Trelle have always been a car guy and a little over four years ago acquired a fully resored, show-quality, numbers-matching, muscle car that was built by Pontiac in 1965.

The real joy of owning the car - and it is a joy - is taking it to cruise-ins, car shows, and other free-to-the-public displays where people Nu'Trelle's age can walk up, reminisce, and tell stories about the powerful cars they once owned.

A guestimate of the percentage of people Nu'Trelle's age who mention the war in Viet Nam while checking out the car would be 50 percent. As I'm sure you know, lotsa lives were affected. A lot of good people never made it back.

Nu'Trelle - who served in the Army from '68-'74 - has listened quietly to hundreds of Viet Nam stories since acquiring the car and has put his arm across many a shoulder. The stories that are the toughest for Nu'Trelle to weather are when somesone looks at the car, starts to tear-up and says, "My (brother, cousin, next door neighbor, guy I played ball with) bought one just like this, then got shipped to Nam and never made it back."

Decades have passed, but those kinds of wounds are very slow to heal. When a person breaks down, there really isn't much a man can do except stand up, give them (male or female, either one) a hug and cry right along with 'em.

Please let Nu'Trelle know when the book is published. He would like to buy a copy.

Nu'Trelle have always been a car guy and a little over four years ago acquired a fully resored, show-quality, numbers-matching, muscle car that was built by Pontiac in 1965.

The real joy of owning the car - and it is a joy - is taking it to cruise-ins, car shows, and other free-to-the-public displays where people Nu'Trelle's age can walk up, reminisce, and tell stories about the powerful cars they once owned.

A guestimate of the percentage of people Nu'Trelle's age who mention the war in Viet Nam while checking out the car would be 50 percent. As I'm sure you know, lotsa lives were affected. A lot of good people never made it back.

Nu'Trelle - who served in the Army from '68-'74 - has listened quietly to hundreds of Viet Nam stories since acquiring the car and has put his arm across many a shoulder. The stories that are the toughest for Nu'Trelle to weather are when somesone looks at the car, starts to tear-up and says, "My (brother, cousin, next door neighbor, guy I played ball with) bought one just like this, then got shipped to Nam and never made it back."

Decades have passed, but those kinds of wounds are very slow to heal. When a person breaks down, there really isn't much a man can do except stand up, give them (male or female, either one) a hug and cry right along with 'em.

Please let Nu'Trelle know when the book is published. He would like to buy a copy.

CLEAN UP, Aisle 6! Somebody done dropped a whole box of character!
Nice post.

I was just a pup in the 60s, but because of the political and social issues of the time, the music was something pretty special, and I love it. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to the genius that is Jimi Hendrix, and as a matter of fact, Little Wing is my ringtone. After Monterey Pop, there was no music lover in the world who didn't know who Hendrix was.

I'm a Hendrix fan myself, although truth be told, I'm just a guitar player fan. Jeff Beck, 60's era Clapton, Stevie Ray......I'm all in.

MI0002525391.jpg
Not 60's but an awesome listen.

Choc Girl and M-Mom, we have the coolest chics on here. Hammer Time, Clapton was better when he was on heroine, but still one of the greatest loved hi with Cream and Blind Faith - ever listen to John Mayall? He started out a few rippin guitarists - caught him at a place called Jugs in Hays, Kansas in 78. Take a listen to this, seeing it live was special.

Neut, I hear you brother - here's a profound quote I'm using to close a section from a Marine I interviewed. This incident occurred during the first large scale battle in 1965 with main force VC in Operation Starlite (LBJ sent in Marines to protect Da Nang Air Base after a helicopter base at Camp Hollaway had been attacked) . He was 18 at the time:

When asked if any particular image still remains with him from LZ Blue, Mazy didn’t hesitate: “Yeah…my first kill. A 14 or 15 year old boy with a grenade in his hand and a finger on the pull pin. Me with my M-14. We stood there, about 20 to 30 yards apart staring at each other with tears welling up in our eyes, knowing the outcome. He moved his finger, I moved mine, bullets move much faster. I cannot wait to reach heaven so I can embrace him and tell him how sorry I am.”

Mazy didn’t hesitate: “Yeah…my first kill. A 14 or 15 year old boy with a grenade in his hand and a finger on the pull pin. Me with my M-14. We stood there, about 20 to 30 yards apart staring at each other with tears welling up in our eyes, knowing the outcome. He moved his finger, I moved mine, bullets move much faster. I cannot wait to reach heaven so I can embrace him and tell him how sorry I am.”
One aspect of the war that is often overlooked is the number of American soldiers who came home with emotional scars that have never healed.

In the years following the war, Nu'Trelle tried to reconnect with a few who were just as close to him as your friends undoubtedly were to you while growing up, going to school, playing ball, etc. For the most part, Nu'Trelle found that these guys were changed men. Most were unable to express their feelings or admit to the fact that they needed help if they were ever going to have any hope of leading a normal life.

A couple of these friends are still alive, but the vast majority have passed. In total fairness, they should be added to the list of casualties and their names inscribed on the wall.

They were men who survived the conflict and came home, but never really returned.

Wow, Neutral, I didn't know you had served. Most men who went to college did not later serve in the war. Or did you serve before college. Either way, I commend you for that!

I was so lucky in that I only had one uncle who went to Vietnam. He was career with the Army Corp of Engineers. Every time they blew up a village, he would go in and rebuild. Then they'd blow it up again. He was able to leave his second tour only after developing an ulcer. I never had a chance to talk to him about the war. About the time he retired and moved back home, I married military and started our moves.

Most of my classmates did not serve. My older brother had a low number but the draft ended before he was called.

I listened to the music and it was great! I love the sound of the harmonica. Can't wait to read your book. I'm sure my son would want to read it also!

Wow, Neutral, I didn't know you had served. Most men who went to college did not later serve in the war. Or did you serve before college.
Let's clear things up. Midway thru 1968, Neutral had enough credits to be a junior, but ran out of money and could no longer afford to pay tuition. His draft status changed to 1-A, so rather than wait around to get drafted, he decided to enlist. By some stroke of luck, he was never deployed overseas. He stayed stateside his entire hitch, went back to college after leaving active duty and was still a Reservist at the time he received his degree in 1971.

Reactions: Wavebb
What a coincidence, Neutral. Wave love the old muscle cars too. Is you got a 389 GTO? 4-speed Hurst? Wave had a '70 400 ram air. He got a Hellcat now. Tampa Hard Rock is only a 45 minute ride now. Wave pickin u up tomorrow at 6:00 to watch the Wave take it on the chin as usual against SK's Tarps. WAVE OUT!

Hey change of plans buddy. My house 4pm, we're pre-gaming in the river, seriously - just built a new dock this summer and my buddies who helped enjoyed having cocktails in the river so much, we make it an event every so often. Call me for directions. We keep a pistol handy for too friendly gators or bull sharks.

Reactions: Wavebb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT