941 area

SotaCoach2

Oct 23, 2017
I think Venice (easily) gets through along with Charlotte River Mooney

Booker
Palmetto
Manatee
See you in 2019

Who wins: Cardinal Mooney, Venice, and Riverview.
Who loses: Palmetto, Charlotte, and Booker.

I think Palmetto will lose a close one even though the opponent is undefeated. Charlotte loses in an upset, and Booker loses convincingly.

I just read how Treasure Coast runs the single wing. I think Riverview may be in trouble. Vero Beach beat Venice, and Treasure Coast lost to Vero Beach by a field goal. This game could go either way.

How much film have you watched of any of these teams? Did you watch any of the Vero/Venice game? Treasure Coast has some good size on its OL, and with the offense they run............ I say "Yes" this game could be a tight one. Riverview has good defensive speed as well as good size, I watched them take away the perimeter from Manatee, as well as not allow one of top 10 in 8A (100 meter) guys to turn the corner on them. The deception of the single wing is the only thing I can see causing Riverview some problems defensively. Offensively Boyce at RB for Riverview is an absolute work horse, and while Riverview doesn't have a OL like last year its still very big and will open holes all night long. I was impressed with the Riverview QB, with his ability to know when to run and his arm.....................the Riverview passing is a very under estimated part of its offense

Go Canes Go!

Lol. We all have been wrong before. I was totally wrong with a lot of my predictions. It happens. It was some great football played yesterday.

Can Palmetto get to the regional finals? What do they have to do to get past Bloomindale?

So can Riverview make another run or does Manatee find a way?

* Manatee QB has to play much better than he did the 1st game, his errant pitches the 1st half killed drives as well as gave Riverview a short field to score on, he missed a number of open downfield throws. Just felt that 1st game the mid-level to deep routes were there all night for Manatee, but Manatee abandoned the deep routes completely the 2nd half except a couple of throw late in the game.
* Gotta put Ethan Walz at the LB position and position Porter to the outside of the strong side like they did the 2nd half that 1st game against Riverview, to put Manatee in a better position to counter what Riverview does offensively. Boyce carried it 30+ times that first game against Manatee and for all intent and purposes he is the Riverview offense
* Manatee has to play with an emotional intensity from start to finish
* The Manatee defense from the 4:16 mark of the 2nd QT held Riverview to 3 points the rest of the game and in fact outscored Riverview 10-3 from that point. If the Manatee defense can hold the Riverview offence at bay similar to what they did with Osceola, and the offense plays more up to the level its capable of, YES they can win this game!
* Brandon Shannon for Manatee on defense is one tuff little mutha! Watching him destroy the Riverview TE play after play the 2nd half was a sight to behold that 1st game

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
From their first encounter, Manatee was out-coached. Manatee needs to feed the #1 (I think that is his number) the ball the entire game. They ran this big back who was ineffective instead of running the #25 back who was more effective in the small amount of carries he had. Manatee did not make the needed adjustments. If they make those adjustments they win the game. The only difference in this game is that Riverview has a D-1 receiver/safety that was injured but is back now at 100%. He is a tough kid and very physical with good hands. He will be the difference maker.

Any thoughts on this one? Palmetto is so jekyl/hyde
I don't think Palmetto is jekyl/hyde at all....................their vulnerability has been the defense all season long. I don't know enough about Bloomingdale to venture a guess on the game. About all I know is they have a 6'8" 300+ lbs OT that likes to get physical with guys that don't physically match up with him.......which is pretty much everyone at the HS level.

Go Canes Go!

Palmetto couldn't sustain the entire game vs Venice. Had the lead early at 14-0. Then couldn't stop the run. The running QB came in and Venice went for it on 4th down what seemed like 5-6 times and produced a 1st down each time. Undisciplined as well with a few free 5 yard offsides.
Athletes they have. I'm not sure what exactly they are missing but experience is what I think of most.

That's why I ask how Bloomindale is. What do they do well?

Palmetto couldn't sustain the entire game vs Venice. Had the lead early at 14-0. Then couldn't stop the run. The running QB came in and Venice went for it on 4th down what seemed like 5-6 times and produced a 1st down each time. Undisciplined as well with a few free 5 yard offsides.
Athletes they have. I'm not sure what exactly they are missing but experience is what I think of most.

That's why I ask how Bloomindale is. What do they do well?

seems there isnt much answer or speculation about this one

I have a question for the Sarasota contributors......Last year when Todd Johnson step down and Smithers took over at Riverview, the media reported it was so he could pursue interests in the financial business. I was going back over the media guide yesterday, I picked up from the Manatee/Riverview game earlier this season. I was going over the roster for Riverview and suddenly I noted among the assistant coaches listing "Todd Johnson's" name among the assistant coaches? Did Todd just step down from being the HBC, but continued coaching as an assistant at Riverview?
Go Canes Go!

I have a question for the Sarasota contributors......Last year when Todd Johnson step down and Smithers took over at Riverview, the media reported it was so he could pursue interests in the financial business. I was going back over the media guide yesterday, I picked up from the Manatee/Riverview game earlier this season. I was going over the roster for Riverview and suddenly I noted among the assistant coaches listing "Todd Johnson's" name among the assistant coaches? Did Todd just step down from being the HBC, but continued coaching as an assistant at Riverview?
Go Canes Go!

from what i understand yes he still helps as a position coach. A LOT less hours and commitment from that end

From what I read in the paper and saw on some of the game a watched Palmetto is playing some guys both ways. That is tough at the level they are at and speaks as to why they couldn't finish in the 4th.

From what I read in the paper and saw on some of the game a watched Palmetto is playing some guys both ways. That is tough at the level they are at and speaks as to why they couldn't finish in the 4th.

I see a lot of teams play guys both ways this time of year. maybe not exclusively down for down but you MUST have your best 11 on the field certain times of the games whether its goal line packages ith OL playing DL or nickel packages with a WR playing DB i think that is universal. Both View and Venice have 2 way guys

Reactions: gatorman001
I see a lot of teams play guys both ways this time of year. maybe not exclusively down for down but you MUST have your best 11 on the field certain times of the games whether its goal line packages ith OL playing DL or nickel packages with a WR playing DB i think that is universal. Both View and Venice have 2 way guys

Right and it's gonna hurt them against a similarly coached/talented team that doesn't have to do it. I've coached teams with zero two way players and teams exclusively 2 way and I'd always rather have my 11 best defensive players and 11 best offensive players going their highest level on one side, not one or two guys on the field both sides 50-70%. It bites you against good teams. Manatee's last State Championship team had zero two way players, except a goal line fullback that got used like 2 times. I can't imagine Venice used many both ways last year except the odd play or two, but I'm not a Venice guy.

Right and it's gonna hurt them against a similarly coached/talented team that doesn't have to do it. I've coached teams with zero two way players and teams exclusively 2 way and I'd always rather have my 11 best defensive players and 11 best offensive players going their highest level on one side, not one or two guys on the field both sides 50-70%. It bites you against good teams. Manatee's last State Championship team had zero two way players, except a goal line fullback that got used like 2 times. I can't imagine Venice used many both ways last year except the odd play or two, but I'm not a Venice guy.
Venice in its playoff game against STA last year used a jumbo package that utilized both DT's, almost the entire game. Carpenter and Gregory were able to run so successfully between the tackles because of it. Near the end of the game they played the star WR in the defensive backfield as well.

Additionally Manatee won that 2011 state title game in a huge blowout, there was never a reason for Joe to have play anyone beyond their normal position in that game. I know for a fact however Joe has never shy'd away from utilizing his best players on offense and defense.......if needed!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
''ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY, GLORIOUS, OMNIPOTENT, ALL KNOWING, BEST LOOKING, MAN OF MEN, KING OF KINGS, LEGENDARY FORMER MANATEE H.C. JOE KIN..."

Ooops ... Nu'Trelle better not go quite that far.

Reactions: Trelle
That happens with Hurricane fans - hs or college, they miss old days. but they aint ever going to be what they used to, because times has changed.

when did you coach? and seen some teams win state titles w/2way guys its HS football if you are a DUDE you can go both ways especially skilled guys

Venice 2016 played some of their sophomore skill guys both ways and on special teams to replace the huge number of seniors lost from the team. Midway through that season they stopped. It freed up those players to get rest.
In 2017 they went with only special packages and had only a few guys run them. Mainly short yardage with defensive guys. Had WR Heiligh come in for a couple of last play late game DB plays for jump ball situations. Worked well so 2018 they added a few wrinkles.
Basically no 2 way players but in certain down and distance or critical times they will run out some different packages.

when did you coach? and seen some teams win state titles w/2way guys its HS football if you are a DUDE you can go both ways especially skilled guys
From 2000 til now. I agree some people do it but it’s hard to dabble in it. If you do it with a kid full time both ways he won’t be game conditioned for it until about week 5 in real games. If you decide to start doing it going into the playoffs your in trouble in the second half. Spotting a guy in on key downs is different. Especially DB/WR types that you can rest on both sides. With lineman you better have a few that can rotate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT