ADVERTISEMENT

4 Manatee County football coaches suspended - Update

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
So as I continue to dig into this, I more and more get a sense of this being a situation with its roots being based in local politics..(what a big mess the whole situation with the Lincoln Memorial Academy that is at the center of this situation. Those of you interested should look into that ongoing situation. Related??? Not sure but the timing of all this is certainly interesting),....and then using the FHSAA as a means to hide behind, to send out its iron fisted messages locally! Bottom line until someone provides me with something substantive regarding these 4 coaches actions, I will hold fast to my belief that the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this instance.

Before I moved away from Manatee County on 9/17/93, I had already come to realize that corruption within the Manatee County Government was present and vibrant with a number of officials....(some I knew personally, some I knew just in passing), as I had become aware of number of lands deals that were taking place in what at the time was still undeveloped land east of I75. A battle a group of us waged with the county to bring the Rye homestead back into family ownership, that was ultimately muted by a mysterious fire that destroyed the original home and its detached kitchen left a particularly bad taste in my mouth......with what I thought was a close friend, Eddie Chance, as it became clear at that point he instead of being a Ally had been simply patronizing our group's efforts.

Got the same sense of the royal shaft with the way Joe Kinnan was treated, in hindsight I feel politically there was a concerted effort to rid the county of Joe's presence on the sidelines and that those with influence were determined to make mountains out of moles hills if necessary...(Although the situation was Frazier certainly wasn't a mole hill). with Joe until he quit or was forced out. When I watched Joe leave the stadium before halftime ended at a game the 1989 state title team was honored this past season, as well as not interact with anyone beyond former players and the radio guys in the press box, spoke volumes to me about the bitterness he must still feel about how things went down foe him.

Sad sad state of affairs for those that still believe in fairness and equity in the treatment for everyone.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT