ADVERTISEMENT

3 - 1st downs and 45 yards of total offense

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
So I watch and it was extremely painful! I don't want to take anything away from Lakeland, but this Manatee team on offense and defense was totally un-prepared........the play calling was terrible in fact worse than I ever seen...............no coherent flow and pass plays that required too much time for the QB to find a WR? or make throws that allowed Lakeland DB's to make it easy for them to defend.

Will let this season play out, but will be keeping a watchful eye on 2 Manatee alums Spencer Hodges and James Booth and how their respective teams do this year.....Hoping Manatee will be looking for a new HBC by then!

Go Canes Go!

So I watch and it was extremely painful! I don't want to take anything away from Lakeland, but this Manatee team on offense and defense was totally un-prepared........the play calling was terrible in fact worse than I ever seen...............no coherent flow and pass plays that required too much time for the QB to find a WR? or make throws that allowed Lakeland DB's to make it easy for them to defend.

Will let this season play out, but will be keeping a watchful eye on 2 Manatee alums Spencer Hodges and James Booth and how their respective teams do this year.....Hoping Manatee will be looking for a new HBC by then!

Go Canes Go!

Lakeland is best team in FL (yes I would pick them over STA and IMG)

Lakeland will win 7a

Go Canes Go!

Plant City is looking pretty good.

That was awful

The game was hard to watch as a manatee fan. The kids were just over matched and played way too slower than Lakeland, however it doesn't help playing one of the best teams in the country without a pre-season classic. Manatee is super young. Many of the starters on that team saw their first varsity action against the defending state champions. Also many of Manatee fans are stuck in the past. Manatee isn't getting the players it once got. Much of high school football is about the players. If you have better players, it makes a coach look better than they are. It's a long season and Coach Shakir is known for playing a tough schedule. Every year they have went a round farther in the playoffs so let the season play out. Way too early to judge.

yalll are bashing Manatee and Shakir but they played a team that is prob best in state of Florida and could compete nationally... They play Palmetto this week the game will slow down and I'd bet the take is different a week from now... pump the breaks boys

yalll are bashing Manatee and Shakir but they played a team that is prob best in state of Florida and could compete nationally... They play Palmetto this week the game will slow down and I'd bet the take is different a week from now... pump the breaks boys

We'll re-visit your last sentence about the Palmetto game, probably for me Friday night after the game!

I know everyone is taken with all of Lakeland's skilled talent this year, but I still feel like last years team was in a better position to compete with a team like STA, because of it maturity on both the offensive and defensive lines, TE and linebacker positions......they don't have that kind of maturity at those same positions this year. They are incredibly fast and so far the teams they've faced, aren't in a position to deal with that. After watching STA later friday night, in 7A they'll be able to handle lakeland....there still might be others as well.....some are saying Armwood might be just that type of team!
Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
We'll re-visit your last sentence about the Palmetto game, probably for me Friday night after the game!

I know everyone is taken with all of Lakeland's skilled talent this year, but I still feel like last years team was in a better position to compete with a team like STA, because of it maturity on both the offensive and defensive lines, TE and linebacker positions......they don't have that kind of maturity at those same positions this year. They are incredibly fast and so far the teams they've faced, aren't in a position to deal with that. After watching STA later friday night, in 7A they'll be able to handle lakeland....there still might be others as well.....some are saying Armwood might be just that type of team!
Go Canes Go!

We like this type of talk. The same type of talk everyone had last year.

Y'all keep on giving St. Thomas credit for beating those private school boys. Lakeland is one of few publics that will slap the richness out them boys.

Reactions: 250XS
I was looking at Lakeland Schedule ( Terrible). Do they ever travel to South Florida to play a regular season game?

Not sure. Nu'Trelle have seen them play as far away as Ohio. Maybe their plane be broke down right now. Or maybe it jus outta gas?

I was looking at Lakeland Schedule ( Terrible). Do they ever travel to South Florida to play a regular season game?
The last time Lakeland scheduled a trip to S. Florida (that I remember) was in ‘92 and Andrew canceled that game. We ended up playing Cooper City at Lake Gibson’s stadium as another event was scheduled at Bryant stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT