ADVERTISEMENT

Why The Country Hates The SEC

LAZL

Feb 5, 2003
Primary Reasons college football fans in the North, Midwest, Southwest and Far West hate the SEC :

1) The SEC as a whole, doesn't play enough games against power conferences.

2) The SEC says they don't need to play these games because their SEC schedule is so tough.

3) Complete and total arrogance of the SEC fan base.

4) The SEC is the best and everyone likes the underdog.

In an attempt to see if the rest of the nation has a case from a scheduling standpoint, I went back to 2000 to look at the non-conference schedules of all SEC teams over the past 15 seasons. I thought I'd share this info with everyone because personally while not an SEC fan, I still believe this conference to be far better from top to bottom than any conference in the country.

Here is the non-conference data for the SEC (including Bowl Games) for the past 15 seasons sorted by number of games played vs. each non-conference league:

FCS-1AA 129 - 3 0.977
SUN BELT 120 - 7 0.945
ACC 73 - 49 0.598
C-USA 94 - 16 0.855
BIG 10 35 - 24 0.593
BIG 12 35 - 21 0.604
MAC 47 - 3 0.940
BIG EAST 17 - 25 0.405
WAC 34 - 3 0.919
Independent 19 - 9 0.679
PAC 10 10 - 12 0.455
MWC 13 - 7 0.650
AAC 8 - 3 0.727
PAC 12 4 - 1 0.800
BIG WEST 4 - 0 1.000

TOTAL 639 - 183 0.777
vs. Power Conf. 171 - 132 0.564
vs. Others 468 - 51 0.902

YEARLY AVG 42.6 - 12.2
vs. Power Conf . 11.4 - 8.8
vs. Others 31.2 - 3.4

ANALYSIS - The data shows clear arguments for both sides. The SEC only plays an average of 20 games per season against schools from power conferences. Most of these contests take place in Bowl Games. However, the SEC wins 56% of those games.

The SEC plays an average of 35 games per season against non power conference schools including FCS- 1AA schools. However, the SEC rarely loses these games, winning over 90%.

The most interesting information I have found when digging deeper into the data was that rivalries make up most of the non conference games vs. power conferences. For example, Georgia and South Carolina have each played 23 games vs. the ACC and have had huge success, compiling a 32-14 record since 2000. If you remove those games from the ACC total, the rest of the SEC is 41-35 against the ACC.

Here's one that adds fuel to the fire. Over the years, I have come to the realization that SEC fans hate the PAC 12 and visa versa. PAC 12 fans contend they are on par with the SEC and the head to head results tend to support this. Over the past 15 seasons the SEC and PAC 10/12 have only met 27 times, mostly in bowl games. The SEC is 14-13 in those contests. Additionally, it is interesting that 5 SEC schools have not played a game vs. the PAC 10/12 in at least 15 years. Those schools are: Mississippi, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina and Vanderbilt. Also, Texas A&M has not played a PAC 12 team since they moved to the SEC.

This post was edited on 1/10 10:02 AM by LAZL

Originally posted by LAZL:

BIG EAST 17 - 25 0.405

WELL! It's obvious that the Big East is a much better conference than the
OVERRATED SEC.

Look at that, the Big East holds a 59.5 WINNING percentage against the SEC.

Maybe UCF should move into THAT conference. They're a bunch of winners!
BTW, thanks for the numbers, Laz, your post does make the argument that there really should be no argument.

Stereotypes exist because they are rooted in truth.
This post was edited on 1/10 10:16 AM by blackpopsicle

Great data, LAZL. And, you are right about SEC fans disliking the PAC-12. At least that is true for this SEC fan. And, it will kill me to cheer for Oregon in the championship game but it's a better option than support UM. It's amazing how that life-threatening illness when away after he moved to Ohio!

Anytime the PAC-12 wants a home and home agreement with teams from the steamy southeast, I'm certain SEC teams will accommodate them. But, considering that most non-conference games are played early in the season, that will probably never happen.

I would love to hear what SEC team schedulers say about playing other power conference teams. Is it easy or hard to try to schedule them? Do they even try? Right after UCF moved up to D-1, a network new show did a story on the whole scheduling process. It included how far in advance games are scheduled and how difficult it is to complete a schedule some times. I'd love to see that story again.

Just curious LAZL, does a neutral site make a big difference? We know there is seldom a home field advantage in bowl games but I have seen a push to move many games between power conference teams to a neutral site. Does it help or hurt the other teams?

blackpopsicle,

Agreed. I have this information at my disposal so it's my duty to share it and try to spark some feedback. I long for the old days when this board provided so much enjoyment, laughter and in-fighting - We couldn't keep up with the amount of outrageous posts. It was simply, the best entertainment to be found anywhere.

By and large, the only SEC teams willing to play the Pac-12 are those that need to recruit nationally. Tennessee, for example, has played several Pac-12 games over the past 20 or so years, but they need to recruit nationally in places like California. And they don't have a natural, OOC rival. And then you've had a couple schools agree to neutral site games, that in actuality are much closer to their campuses and thus a fan support advantage occurs. But the only way a Florida will end up playing a Pac-12 school is if the landscape of the sport changes and they are FORCED to schedule one. If there ever is a split by the "power 5" conferences from the NCAA, they may make their own rules and scheduling requirements which could change things. Maybe a rule is a school can only play one non-power 5 school. That's hard to imagine passing though, as schools like Mississippi State want to go out and buy 3-4 gimme wins every year to pad the record.

SK, a life long Miami fan, long before they were good, who tooted their horn a bunch while they were dominating is only using this poll for his favorite conference: Sine 2000, counting this year, 4 different SEC teams have won 8 National Titles - that's more than half of them in this century. Statistics can say anything; results are hard to argue with. If you don't think the SEC is better than the rest of the conferences or hasn't dominated you're, as the guy in Animal House said: a MO-RON.

Originally posted by Silver King :
SK, a life long Miami fan, long before they were good, who tooted their horn a bunch while they were dominating is only using this poll for his favorite conference: Sine 2000, counting this year, 4 different SEC teams have won 8 National Titles - that's more than half of them in this century. Statistics can say anything; results are hard to argue with. If you don't think the SEC is better than the rest of the conferences or hasn't dominated you're, as the guy in Animal House said: a MO-RON.
So 4/14 being dominate means all 14 are dominate?

MO-RON!

Hang on to whatever you need to, whatever you have to tell yourself to feel good about your conference, team and meaningless bowl games - but talk to me when you team/conference wins a National title, or two,or three or four...you fit the definition to a T.

Hang on to whatever you need to, whatever you have to tell yourself to feel good about your conference, team and meaningless bowl games - but talk to me when you team/conference wins a National title, or two,or three or four...you fit the definition to a T.
Fit the definition of what? Someone who understands that 4 teams out of 14 are dominate doesnt mean THE ENTIRE SEC is dominate? Is Bama dominant? Yes. Is AU dominant? Most years. Is LSU dominant? Most years. Is UF dominant? Most years. Is Tennessee? No. Kentucky? No. Ole Miss? No. MissState? No. Vandy? No. USCe? No. UGA? No. Mizzou? No. TAMU? No. Arkansas? No.

Hang on to whatever you need, bro. The SEC doesnt have 8 National Title Rings; the teams have them. The 4/14 teams that are actually dominant have them. Go on being a homer though. We will welcome you back to reality whenever you want to come back though.

Ok, so what is the question, again? I thought it was which conference is the best conference. That's what we are arguing about, right?

Can we agree that best implies ONE? Right? Which conference is best.

Plenty of people will say the SEC is. Almost as many will bitch and moan and say they are not.

So. If the anti SEC folks will not concede that the SEC is the best, then they must declare one of two things:

1. The conference that IS the best.

OR

2. There is no BEST conference.

So, Magpies, what's it going to be?

Just curious, but why does it take so many years in advance to schedule football games?

These same schools schedule numerous basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, lacrosse, track and field, and volleyball. Many of them are done no more than half a year earlier than the schedule. I mean the NFL schedules during the off-season (granted they have a system in place), but they are flying across the country similar to some of these college teams.

I think many of the OOC games that are not traditional rivals are often lame. In 2017 at Dallas, Florida is playing Michigan, who knows how either of those teams are going to be.

I just think it has to be easier than some of these teams make it out to be.

Originally posted by gatorman-uf:
Just curious, but why does it take so many years in advance to schedule football games?

These same schools schedule numerous basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, lacrosse, track and field, and volleyball. Many of them are done no more than half a year earlier than the schedule. I mean the NFL schedules during the off-season (granted they have a system in place), but they are flying across the country similar to some of these college teams.

I think many of the OOC games that are not traditional rivals are often lame. In 2017 at Dallas, Florida is playing Michigan, who knows how either of those teams are going to be.

I just think it has to be easier than some of these teams make it out to be.
The only reason that would make sense to me is that the athletic departments do their budgets out years in advance.

Even if Florida improves significantly, Michigan could be a tough game. I remember the Gators losing at least two bowl games to them. I looked it up and the years were 2007 and 2002.

I understand the argument being made. If Ohio State or Oregon win the championship, are either the PAC-12 or the Big-10 the best conference? Absolutely not! But, there's a lot to be said for a conference that has four different teams who have won championships. Mizzou is about to break out and Georgia is long overdue to go all the way. You know when Spurrier will build a championship caliber team. And, Tennessee has been slowly improving. What's the best conference in basketball? Many would answer the ACC but the Big-12 is coming on strong. Even if Kentucky goes undefeated this year, the SEC would not be the best basketball conference. They will be conference with one great team and a few other very good ones.

I will admit the SEC had a down football year in 2014 but I expect them to be stronger in 2015. They always come back!

That number is 7 in a row...

Originally posted by Cocoa2010:

Fit the definition of what?

That your team has none. crickets

Fit the definition of what?

That your team has none. crickets
Mine won last year, noob.

A large factor as to why an SEC team was even in the NC game in the past was because they played other SEC teams (strength of schedule). Which means that even if the conference wasn't as almighty as the media and marketing has lead most to believe, they are still in the game because of the conference.

It is still like that and it is rediculous. If there were no playoff this year, the SEC would be in it again just becuase they play in the SEC.

To me it's simple... look where the top players go.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/all/all

Mine won last year, noob.
Oh, no wonder you're so sensitive you're seeing how impressive it is for a conference to make a run like the SEC - hey, thanks for making my point - you're like a cat ball being bounced around by El Gato Grande
Yeah, I bet Vandy is soooooo happy that Bama wins championships. I feel sad for teams that cheer for their conference rather than their own team. Rah-Rah SEC!

You didnt make any point.

Grits, Barbeque, Noodling, Moonshine, Bream Fishing, Sweet Tea, Buying Natural Light and Camel Cigs at the Tom Thumb, - How can you deny the Southeast is the greatest

FSU fans went on and on about how great they were after ther win last year - instead of winning with class, they had to start ths SEC sucks crap, acting after their win like they were some kind of dynasty. So you go after SEC fans with that crap, and you're no different.

While I'll admit it was an impressive run, it was also hard to watch with all the problems the program had - so maybe hating on the SEC was an attempt to get the football world to focus on something other than that, but it also made FSU one of the most hated teams n the country.

And winnng it in a year where they hardly played any Top 5 teams palls in comparisson to when Miami's beat 7 #1 ranked teams and dominated the state when they rang up the rings. That to me is damn near as impressive as one conference having a choke hold on the National Title game.

Miami is my team, I wanted to see FSU repeat, but the ACC didn't have the teams behind FSU the last few seasons to challange. It is mute what's the best conference, the sport is about winning.

Originally posted by blackpopsicle:
Cocoa,

Is there any such thing as the Best Conference in College Football?
Yes, and it is the SEC. I have never said they arent. I argue people saying the entire SEC is dominate. Which is ENTIRELY different than being the best conference. A few teams are dominant, whereas, the bottom are the bottom. But as a whole, the SEC is the best.

FSU fans went on and on about how great they were after ther win last year - instead of winning with class, they had to start ths SEC sucks crap, acting after their win like they were some kind of dynasty. So you go after SEC fans with that crap, and you're no different.
FSU's team last year was the most dominant team that year; and can justifiably try to claim all time. The SEC has always gotten crap from FSU fans, along with everyone else saying that teams should root for their team, not the conference. I can tell you without pause, that Clemson fans weren't screaming ACC ACC ACC from the rooftops when FSU won.

While I'll admit it was an impressive run, it was also hard to watch with all the problems the program had - so maybe hating on the SEC was an attempt to get the football world to focus on something other than that, but it also made FSU one of the most hated teams n the country.
No, winning made FSU the most hated team in the country; also the media bias helped that tremendously too. FSU was also unsettling the "SEC teams are the only dominant teams" schtick that the media also promotes.

And winnng it in a year where they hardly played any Top 5 teams palls in comparisson to when Miami's beat 7 #1 ranked teams and dominated the state when they rang up the rings. That to me is damn near as impressive as one conference having a choke hold on the National Title game.
FSU beat 4 ranked teams last year, went 13-0, and won a power 5 conference with a first year starting QB and a first time DC; let's not also forget that FSU ended with the highest average winning margin of any NC team...ever.

Miami is my team, I wanted to see FSU repeat, but the ACC didn't have the teams behind FSU the last few seasons to challange. It is mute what's the best conference, the sport is about winning.

Yes, and it is the SEC. I have never said they arent. I argue people saying the entire SEC is dominate. Which is ENTIRELY different than being the best conference. A few teams are dominant, whereas, the bottom are the bottom. But as a whole, the SEC is the best.
Dominant is very hard to define, let alone prove. I agree with you here, somehow I missed that point over the past year or so.

There is no denying the fact that 12 of the 14 SEC teams went to bowls. Maybe that's because of prearrangements with bowls, but even the bowl agreements have something to say.

Very interesting to me that the weak sisters were supposedly in the East Division, yet they went 5-0 and the West went 2-5.
That kind of supports the idea that having something to say as a team goes a long way in the lesser bowls than reputation.

All that said, the SEC's bowl performance as a conference was very disappointing for me, one of those guys that wears the SEC logo on a couple of garments.

Coco, did you see the graphic before tonight's NC game about Coaches with the most TOP 5 wins? They were:

Saban 7 SEC
Miles 6 SEC
Meyer 4 Former SEC (And maybe getting another tonight by bringing SEC style play to the Buckeyes)

They didn't mention anyone else, not sure how many Top 5 Teams FSU played last year, you have a number on that?

Coco, did you see the graphic before tonight's NC game about Coaches with the most TOP 5 wins? They were:

Saban 7 SEC
Miles 6 SEC
Meyer 4 Former SEC (And maybe getting another tonight by bringing SEC style play to the Buckeyes)

They didn't mention anyone else, not sure how many Top 5 Teams FSU played last year, you have a number on that?
Nick Saban top 5 wins last year = 0(Lost to the only top 5 team they played)
Les Miles top 5 wins last year = 0(Lost to the only top 5 team they played)
Urban Meyer top 5 wins last year = 0(Never played one)
Jimbo Fisher top 5 wins last year = 2(Beat a #2 and a #3)

Nice try bro.

So two teams they year FSU won it, go back and look at those SEC teamsduring their NC years playing Top 5 all the time in their confernce when they racked up those numbers.

Speaking of "nice try bros". People didn't hate FSU because they were winning. They hated them because of a Jimbo Fisher selling his soul coddiling Jamis Winston. Have ou been under a rock?

So two teams they year FSU won it, go back and look at those SEC teamsduring their NC years playing Top 5 all the time in their confernce when they racked up those numbers.

Speaking of "nice try bros". People didn't hate FSU because they were winning. They hated them because of a Jimbo Fisher selling his soul coddiling Jamis Winston. Have ou been under a rock?
lol You tell me to tell you how many top 5 games FSU won last year then you completely ignore it.

And no, people hate FSU because they won. Everyone loved it when they dethroned the SEC. But as soon as it started happening the next season people started hating them because everyone thought that they already were used for want they wanted.

If you believe Jimbo Fisher "coddled" Jameis Winston and that is the reason people hate FSU, get your head out of the media's ass. You want a real view of what happened? Look at all the recruits that said they believe in CJF and absolutely loved how he stood by his players while they were being attacked and then being able to stand by them when they were vindicated.

Originally posted by Cocoa2010

lol You tell me to tell you how many top 5 games FSU won last year then you completely ignore it.

I was actually just pointing out that list of the top three coaches who beat Top 5 Teams, two from the SEC, and a 3rd who got a couple there,; you know that weak conference, and was wondering where Jimbo's name was.

And of course recruits are going to say that, because they are 18 and think it's great the program will make excuses for them when they do criminal/outlandish things. The adage: "where theirs smoke (Billowing) there's fire" I'm sure doesn't apply here, it's all a media conspiracy, all's well.

I think people, mostly Gators around here are jumping on the SEC bandwagon because quite frankly they have sucked 4 of last 5 years. I'm a Cane. I don't pull for no ACC. I pull for The U. It was Auburn/fsu last year. Goooooo Tigers. Oregon/fsu this year. Quack quack quack. With that said, best football conference is SEC. If you that much SEC, you should get a hard on for UK and Vandys of the conference

Originally posted by Cocoa2010

I was actually just pointing out that list of the top three coaches who beat Top 5 Teams, two from the SEC, and a 3rd who got a couple there,; you know that weak conference, and was wondering where Jimbo's name was.

And of course recruits are going to say that, because they are 18 and think it's great the program will make excuses for them when they do criminal/outlandish things. The adage: "where theirs smoke (Billowing) there's fire" I'm sure doesn't apply here, it's all a media conspiracy, all's well.
Well the "smoke" was put out 3 separate times and people still think there is fire; you dont see the bias there you are blind.

And its not just the kids, you think parents would say the things there kids are also saying and give the ok for them to go there if they felt the BS spewed by everyone else was true? You are laughable dude.

And you still cant recognize you asked for top 5 wins last year and showed you that CJF had the most. Keep on trollin' though.

Think you may have missed "the most" part, but not surprising with your Hate the SEC blinders on. Saban's 7>2, Miles 6>2 and Miami's beating 7 #1s (not Top 5) > it ever happening at FSU.

How about appreciating the Buckeyes and let's forget about FSU or the SEC anymore anyway. You got more out of this little run that FSU made than the SEC did in their 8 titles.

Think you may have missed "the most" part, but not surprising with your Hate the SEC blinders on. Saban's 7>2, Miles 6>2 and Miami's beating 7 #1s (not Top 5) > it ever happening at FSU.

How about appreciating the Buckeyes and let's forget about FSU or the SEC anymore anyway. You got more out of this little run that FSU made than the SEC did in their 8 titles.
See now you are changing what you want after being proven wrong. You asked me for CJF's wins over top 5 from last year, but then try to prove the facts I put forth wrong by comparing his top 5 wins from last year vs all the SEC coaches from their all time records.

And idk where you are getting my "SEC blinders" from. I said the SEC is the best conference; you are trying to argue that the SEC as a whole is dominant. Which is down right ludicrous. 4 dominant teams out of a league consisting of 14 teams does not make the other 10 dominant.

2014-2015 college football bowl, playoff standings:Conference Overall Champion Record for ranked teams Record vs ranked teams

Conf. USA 4-1 (.800) Won
Pacific-12 6-3 (.667) Won 5-2 (.714) 2-2 (.500)
Independents 2-1 (.667) 1-0 (1.000)
SEC 7-5 (.583) Lost 2-5 (.286) 2-4 (.333)
Big Ten 6-5 (.545) Won 4-1 (.800) 4-2 (.667)
Mountain West 3-4 (.429) Won 1-0 (1.000) 1-1 (.500)
American 2-3 (.400) L, L & W
Mid-American 2-3 (.400) Lost
ACC 4-7 (.364) Lost 2-2 (.500) 1-3 (.250)
Sun Belt 1-2 (.333) DNP
Big 12 2-5 (.286) W & L 1-2 (.333) 1-3 (.250)

IMHO... there are 15 conferences listed at the start of this topic. Minus the SEC, that leaves 14 conf of fans that wanted to see the SEC knocked off their throne. If only 20% of the non SEC fans cheered every time a SEC team lost, that's a lot of fans wanting to see the SEC fail. Imagine that happening to one of the other conferences. FSU had a little taste of it and the fans had the same reaction to it as the SEC fans did. FSU fans defending their school to the last. It's only a matter of time before another school starts to dominate in college. Like SK said 3 years ago... Winning goes in cycles. He said it about High School, but it applies to college and the NFL. Will the Pack 10 become the next conf to be reckoned with or the Pack 12... who knows... maybe. What I do know is that there will be a SEC team in the title hunt next year. Hopefully with the success they had this year maybe they will have 8 teams playing in the future.

On a side note... I would love to see UCF take a spot in the top 3 but first they have to play a tougher schedule. Didn't they play Florida one year?

I said the SEC is the best conference; you are trying to argue that the SEC as a whole is dominant. Which is down right ludicrous. 4 dominant teams out of a league consisting of 14 teams does not make the other 10 dominant.
OK I guess I've convinced you - I've been saying all along the SEC "has been" the best conference. One ACC/FSU didn't change that - I know its been frustrating. Nonsense that I think all 14 teams are great, there have to be losers in every conference kind of that W-L thing.

You were going on and on about FSU finishing off the SEC dynasty acting like that run was an everyday occurrence. You pointed to insignificant bowl games as proof- I just pointed out that all those titles in that span made them a run like the 1927 Yankees or the America's Cup. And, that they'll be back next year with a team in the Top 4.

Yeah, but those weak SEC footballs are usually very good in basketball. They are all in the SEC for a reason.

And, by the way, someone mentioned that the losing SEC teams don't benefit from the bowls. That is very wrong. Winnings from all bowl appearances are pooled and share by all teams in the conference. So why would Kentucky or Vanderbilt spend a lot of money on a coach or recruiting when they will still get a great share of the pot? And both have had pretty decent season in the past few years!

I said the SEC is the best conference; you are trying to argue that the SEC as a whole is dominant. Which is down right ludicrous. 4 dominant teams out of a league consisting of 14 teams does not make the other 10 dominant.
OK I guess I've convinced you - I've been saying all along the SEC "has been" the best conference. Nope, you've been saying the SEC is dominant. Ive been making the distinction since the beginning.
One ACC/FSU didn't change that - I know its been frustrating. Nonsense that I think all 14 teams are great, there have to be losers in every conference kind of that W-L thing. You've been proclaiming the SEC as a whole is dominant. Dont change your point now because it looks dumb,

You were going on and on about FSU finishing off the SEC dynasty acting like that run was an everyday occurrence. Never once said this; more BS to try and fill your point to make it look right
You pointed to insignificant bowl games as proof- I just pointed out that all those titles in that span made them a run like the 1927 Yankees or the America's Cup. And, that they'll be back next year with a team in the Top 4. Where did I say anything about "insignificant bowl games?"
Its been 2 years now w/o an SEC NC. The "SEC dynasty" is over. They are the best(never been in dispute), but they are not dominant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT