ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Mississippi State # 1?

181pl

Aug 24, 2006
Tampa
Their schedule has Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, and Tennessee-Martin. Auburn is an impressive win, no doubt, but that's about all they got so far. Kentucky and Arkansas played them tough.

I know they are a good team, but coming from nowhere to #1 may be a stretch. Let's see how they do against Bama and Ole Miss. I have a feeling they could lose both of those.

Didn't Auburn come from nowhere last year?

The Pistol Offense has changed football more ways than ever. It has allowed the use of more skilled players and that Coach out west that created it is an Einstein of football.

Because FSU is not as good as they were last year. Boom! There you go. I know you haven't heard that before. I came up with that. You can use it if you like.

If not Miss State then who?
Florida State, a team that struggled with Clemson, NC State, and Louisville. They have an impressive win against Notre Dame. Let's be honest, there is no clear cut dominating team this year in college football, which leads back to several problems with college football. This is why pre-season rankings are idiotic, it is entirely based off hype and tradition. I would argue that the CFP rankings did wait long enough to come out with their rankings, too much of the season still left to decide.

Go back to 11 games. I am tired of directional state university vs Goliath College.
Conference Championships in all Conferences.
5 Champions plus 3 Wild Cards (if non Power 5 gets ranked above 15 they are in) in an 8 team playoff.
1st round 2 weeks after conference championships played at higher seed.
2nd round at one of the big bowls
3rd round at biggest bowl.

Look at their schedule and see how many ranked teams they have already beaten and the number they still have to play. Most of those SEC teams will not drop from the rankings because of the level of competition. Mississippi States strength of schedule is off the charts.

The SEC West already has 6 bowl-eligible teams eight games into the season while beating each other up. Beat those teams and you deserve to be #1.

I assume you believe FSU should be #1 181??? Let's see who FSU has beaten #8 Notre Same and #19 Clemson both at home and both came down to the final mins. Miss st has beaten #3 Auburn and on the road vs #15 LSU. Looks as if they have beaten better people and gone on the road for a big victory. Please explain why they shouldn't be #1??

AND TEXAS A&M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT EVEN LIKE TAMU!!!!!!!!

Give Clemson or Notre Dame TAMU's schedule and see if they are 5-3.

I want to see FSU repeat because I'm a state of Fl fan (Canes fan by choice), but boy are some of their fans annoying. I like to remind them when Miami was running the state, they beat six or seven #1 Ranked teams including FSU on the way to their NCs. FSU hasn't played a hand full of games in two seasons against Top 10 teams let alone Top 5.

Now Winston being undefeated as a starter is incredible, but it has helped that he doesn't play many SEC teams and the ACC is all over the place. If they pull it off this year I'll be sure enough impressed.

Originally posted by Pipe Dreams:
LSU & TAMU also exist and were beaten by Miss State.
A&M is HORRIBLE

LSU is playing good football now but they weren't when they lost to MSU.

Exactly Peezy. MSU has 4 complete lightweights on their schedule. Victory over tamu is not impressive. LSU was horrible when they played. Arkansas hasn't beaten an sec team in forever.

FSU is the undefeated defending champs and has beaten excellent Clemson and ND squads and jut hung 42 on the top defense in the country.

These excellent teams you speak of, Clemson with a true freshman QB getting his first playing time. Really??? Also pretty sure Auburn is better than ND not to mention FSU doesn't have another ranked team on the schedule. How can you play 12 games only 2 ranked teams and one of them isn't even from the conference. That's pretty sad.

181pl said: FSU and just hung 42 on the top defense in the country.

That would be the same best defense in the country that has lost now 3 times this season, including to a 4-5 Virginia Team? We can spin this anyway you want 181.............

Your worried about who's number one, when making the playoff is really all that matters..........everything will take care of itsself at that point.

Go Canes Go!

Originally posted by gatorman001:
181pl said: FSU and just hung 42 on the top defense in the country.

That would be the same best defense in the country that has lost now 3 times this season, including to a 4-5 Virginia Team? We can spin this anyway you want 181.............

Your worried about who's number one, when making the playoff is really all that matters..........everything will take care of itsself at that point.

Go Canes Go!
Yeah, but there really isn't a "true playoff system". Its 12 J-offs sitting in a room to determine who the top 4 is. Nonsense. Especially with all the national media anti-fsu lobbying this year. I could see the comittee putting in a 2 loss SEC team over a 1-loss FSU, Mich. St., ND, Oregon, etc., even though that team will likely be a conference champion (not ND).

Like was said above, we need 8 teams. Power 5 conference champs and 3 at large (best of the rest). Those 3 at large can be determined by a vote of the coaches, media, and NCAA athletic directors or Presidents. Only fair way.

Also, I agree with the above. Get rid of the 12th game, but at this point its too late. They could nix the 12th game if they really wanted to because they may make more $ with a true playoff. The money could be distributed to each team to set-off the revenue loss of the 12th game, with the remainder going to the playoff teams and their conferences.

Disclaimer: I am not an SEC fan. In fact, I root for any team that plays an SEC team. However, one thing that cannot be disputed is the power of the SEC West Division. Collectively, this division is 35-1 against the college football universe, including the SEC East. The lone loss was Arkansas losing to Georgia. I'm not sure if there's ever been a more dominant group, regardless of sport. Repeat: I'm not an SEC fan. So I spend a lot of my Saturday's in seclusion.

Laz, who have they played out of conference?

MSU's OOC is the sisters of the poor. Tenn-Martin, UAB, South Alabama, and an OK program in Southern Miss.

I can think of 3 games that were decent and to their credit ended up with close SEC West victories:

LSU- Wisconsin

Bama -WVA

Auburn- K State (K-State missed 3 chip-shot field goals, had a dropped TD pass that went for a pic, and had a turnover on downs on first and goal; Auburn was as lucky to escape this game as FSU was against ND, bet even more so).

LAZL, don't worry. We'll convert you over time.

SEC teams have to schedule FCS or lesser FBS teams because most others will not risk a loss to a much better team. You have to fill the schedule somehow!

FSU will make the playoffs. Not being #1 doesn't mean they can't win it all.

This post was edited on 11/4 6:11 PM by Choctaw_fan

Originally posted by Choctaw_fan:

SEC teams have to schedule FCS or lesser FBS teams because most others will not risk a lose to a much better team. You have to fill the schedule somehow!
First of all Choctaw Fan, congratulations on your Gators beating Georgia Saturday. I sure did not see that coming. Concerning your statement above, it could not be more untrue. SEC teams were avoiding teams from power conferences using the excuse that their conference schedule was too difficult. Recently the SEC teams have started improving their OOC schedule after media and public criticism.

I didn't see it coming either. I want to know where they found that ground game. Can't wait to watch Kelvin Taylor for few more years.

The only people who can tell us the true story are the schedulers at every SEC school. I do know that the SEC provides a lot of financial support to FCS football programs. I'm sure Idaho was happy to take that check and not risk a single injury.

OK, I finally got a chance to take a hard look at this out of conference thing. After many hours of digging, I have to admit 181pl is pretty much on the money with his comments.

The SEC as a whole, is (41-3) so far this season vs. out of conference teams.
Of these 44 games, only seven (7) games have been played against Power Conference teams. The SEC is (5-2) in those contests.

The SEC is (28-1) against non-power conferences and (8-0) vs. FCS opponents. Remarkably, the SEC still has six games remaining vs. FCS teams. Very strange at this juncture of the season.

It's eye opening and alarming for a Power Conference consisting of 14 teams to have only played 7 games against other power conferences. The sad part is the reality that they will only play 4 more games against power conference teams for the remainder of the season. That's a total of 11 games in the regular season vs. power conference teams.

Anyway, here is the breakdown of SEC non-conference opponents thus far.
For the record the SEC East is (14-2) and the SEC West is (27-1).

2014 SEC NON CONFERNCE WINS

Arkansas St
Boise St
Charleston So. (FCS)
Chattanooga (FCS)
Clemson (ACC)
East Carolina
Eastern Michigan
Florida Atlantic
Furman (FCS)
Kansas State (Big 12)
Lamar (FCS)
Louisiana Tech
Massachusetts
Memphis
New Mexico St
Nicholls St. (FCS)
Northern Illinois
Ohio U.
Old Dominion
Rice
Sam Houston St (FCS)
San Jose St.
SMU
South Alabama
South Dakota St. (FCS)
Southern Miss - 1
Southern Miss - 2
Tennessee-Martin (FCS)
Texas Tech (Big 12)
Toledo
Troy
UAB - 1
UAB - 2
UCF
UL Lafayette
UL Monroe - 1
UL Monroe - 2
UL Monroe - 3
Utah State
West Virginia (Big 12)
Wisconsin (Big 10)

2014 SEC NON CONFERNCE LOSSES

Oklahoma (Big 12)
Temple
Indiana (Big 10)

Except for Vanderbilt, all the other SEC schools are state universities, which means they are subject to the whimps of state politics. Its quite common for states to mandate or pressure its universities to play one another, if not every year, ever so often. Many times this is why match ups like LSU vs ULM or Tenn vs Chattanooga.

Laz, I'm surprised at the mediocrity of the SEC's out of conference wins. Still don't believe there is a stronger grouping of teams out there regardless of that list of underwhelming victims.

60 Minutes did a story many years ago about the college football scheduling process and highlighted UCF. I believe it was just a few years after they moved up to FBS. It was very enlightening!

But back to the SEC. When your conference schedule gives you four or five ranked teams, why should you have to play other Power Conference teams? Did you compile the numbers for all the other Power Conference teams? How does the SEC compare to others? Be sure to adjust for the number of teams in each conference.

Geez Choctaw, he said it took him "several hours of digging" to come up with the SEC list above. Now you want him to tackle the whole D-1 schedule ? I thought you worked for the government? That's a 6 month job with a 1/2 dozen helpers ( plus overtime, and hazard pay : eye strain ). You're never going to hook Neutral with those kind of demands. Low maintenance wimmens is all he has time for these days. Low,low,low...

Originally posted by LAZL:
SK, I can't. Personally, I have them at #9.
Who do you have above them?

MissSt
FSU
Auburn
TCU
Bama - shouldnt be
ND - shouldnt be
Kstate - shouldnt be
OleMiss - shouldnt be
Michigan State - shouldnt be

Top 4 should be:

1. FSU
2. MissSt
3. TCU
4. Auburn/Oregon

I am an SEC Fan and like FSU and Miami, but while we're commenting on it;

I said three weeks ago on a post those 12 JOs (as 181 puts it), find a way to get Notre Dame in there because three of those JOs have ties; a former ND Coach, A former ND Student (Condoleezza) and a ND Broadcaster. So, with the market influence, I really see why they want one west coast team so they have an audience.

Let's just watch and see how those type influences shake out.

Good stuff Laz

Oh and I didn't reply to the group text because apparently whenever I send a message Dan gets the same message like 30 times....

Peezy, that's 21 times as of yesterday
smile.r191677.gif

Dan, what in the world makes you think I am trying to hook Neutral? Seriously? I think he already has several wives. I'm prefer not to share my man. LOL

And speaking of government workers, read the attached story to see my future. I had tentatively set my retirement date as 31 Dec 2017 and had already been shopping homes in the Naples/Bonita Springs area to be near family. Now I may get RIF'd before I even reach retirement age.

LAZL, I'm not trying to put additional workload on you. I know you love to do this stuff and so do I. I wish I could have done it for a career. Give me a computer with data on a spreadsheet and I'd be in "hog heaven." My duties in DC limit the time I have available to do data analysis for work or personal use.

I will visit the LAZL Index to see what is there. Thanks for all you do!

The Future of Federal Employees

All was in jest Choctaw. My wife is also a government employee ( Veterans Administration ). No red blooded, bible toting, flag waving, sound stage patriot politician would dare cut her government department in these hyper times we live. Backbone is not a strong trait in Washington. You short timers should be OK. Take care...

Originally posted by Hwy17:
I didn't know Neutrell was a Mormon. Is he living in Utah now?
To whom it may concern: Nu'Trelle still in FL, but can make hisself available to Mormon wimmens in Utah (or elsewhere) in very short order long as they wealthy and alcohol tolerant.

Mississippi State is number 1 because of the SEC love fest that happens every Saturday on ESPN. Auburn and Alabama can both beat the cowbell.

Originally posted by Neutral 0bserver:

Originally posted by Hwy17:
I didn't know Neutrell was a Mormon. Is he living in Utah now?
To whom it may concern: Nu'Trelle still in FL, but can make hisself available to Mormon wimmens in Utah (or elsewhere) in very short order long as they wealthy and alcohol tolerant.
One more reason for a "like" button.

Thanks! Today was a rough day at work and I need a good laugh!

By the way, can anyone recommend a reputable realtor down in SW Florida?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT