ADVERTISEMENT

What does this mean....

It means things are going to get a lot different. Some of the differences:
1. In the larger classes (5a-8a) only the district champ gets an automatic playoff birth.
2. In1a-4a there are no more districts; you get to the playoffs based on a points system which is determined by strength of schedule. Note that in the larger classes, strength of schedule will help determine the other playoff teams (non district champs) as the points based system also applies.
3. It will be possible now for multiple teams (3-4) to make the playoffs from one district with only the district champ from weaker districts making it.
4. Combined with the new transfer rules, it is going to totally change the landscape of high school football in Florida.
5. There will be big winners and losers as a result of all of the above. There will also be unforeseen consequences resulting from this.

At this point in time I am not sure if I am a supporter or detractor with respect to the above. One thing is certain: things will get very interesting.

Reactions: peezy28
You're going to find that scheduling will get TOUGH for the good small schools.

PK, it will be a point based system. I will see if I Can find the link for you but I know its somewhere on the FHSAA website.

It's a great system if'n you ask me. I like the idea of a 2-8 Diskrict Runner Up staying home. I also like the idea of a 7-3 third place team gettin a chance to go on da road and upset some one.

Reactions: peezy28
Nothing new here... still doesn't solve the problems.

The major problems are caused by too many classifications. People are upset that a 1-9 team makes the playoffs because they are in a 3 team district. Well, why does that happen? Answer: Teams are too spread out with this many classifications.

People continue to say that you will see more marquee match-ups with the new system, I continue to ask how does the current system stop them from happening? Nobody ever answers that question. The current district/runner-up doesn't discourage you from scheduling a 10-0 team. Also some teams are not going to reschedule some games.

Columbia High School is going to play Suwannee every year, because it is a gate game that both communities want. Columbia is going to continue to play Gainesville and Buchholz because they are close, gate games.

People say that we will have less blowouts in the first rounds, these were the point differentials in the state championships when the best of the best are supposed to be playing and would happen under the new or old system.

8A Game: 19 point spread
7A Game: 35 point spread
6A Game: 35 point spread
5A Game: 3 point spread
4A Game: 20 point spread
3A Game: 27 point spread
2A Game: 45 point spread
1A Game: 34 point spread

How does this new system fix the above? Simple answer it doesn't....

We have to stop pretending that school size is the only factor that matters in football success. We need to weight success on the field along with school size.

Does this mean a school like Trinity Christian or Oxbridge might be playing in a classification 2 or 3 sizes bigger, sure. But their success has proven they can handle it.

At the same time, do we need to allow schools like Stanton Prep to play in a lower classification because they aren't going to compete with schools their own size. YES!!!

I continue to believe that this is not the fix we need. It doesn't solve anything. We need some sort of relegation/promotion system that allows the "serious" football schools to move up and the "non-serious" football schools to move down in classifications. Heck, both systems would work well together in all sports. Ask some of your knowledgeable people about other sports in your area and they can tell you the dominate volleyball, basketball, and baseball teams. Allow good teams to move up in classification and bad teams to move down, this create parity. Use the new point system to determine who qualifies and then you have competition otherwise, it is just going to be the best recruiters of a certain size school facing the best recruiters of the same size school

... otherwise, it is just going to be the best recruiters of a certain size school facing the best recruiters of the same size school
Ding, ding, ding. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Going to district games in many FL districts is about as exciting as sitting down and watching paint dry.

I'm just sayin, watching paint dry sure beats getting chewed out by the old gal - just cause you was actin the same way you was when she met you. But I still they given away to many daggone trophies these days. Just ruin'n these youngsters.

What's the definition of a "serious" football school?

Choctaw,

"Serious" football is a team that consistently is playing late in November. Non-Serious football is a team that rarely makes the playoffs.

Serious, could be American Heritage(s), Bolles, Trinity Christian, St. Thomas Aquinas, Miami Central, Armwood, Plant, Manatee, Lincoln, Niceville.

Non-Serious, Stanton, Paxon, Forest Hills (West Palm Beach), many of the small independent schools. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy football or that their fans aren't passionate, but the reality is that they are playing many times at a level that is not competitive. It is bad for the kids, bad for the community.

I also don't think a team always has to be a "serious" or "non-serious" football team and teams could move up or down depending on their success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT