ADVERTISEMENT

Weak ACC beats powerhouse SEC ?

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
Clemson over S. Carolina
Louisville over Kentucky
Georgia Tech over Georgia
FSU over Florida

With the first year of a four team playoff, could the SEC be left out of the championship Top 4 ? #4 Mississippi St is out. #1 Alabama still isn't a given with two good teams remaining. Crickets, crickets...

Keep quiet, we all know the $EC is the best, it has to be, ESPN has paid too much money for it not to be.

Dan, all those teams are from the SEC East. Not one of those programs are worthy of the Power 5 Conference membership. Now the SEC West teams could play and win in the NFL. SEC! SEC! SEC!

Originally posted by MarkECannon:
Dan, all those teams are from the SEC East. Not one of those programs are worthy of the Power 5 Conference membership. Now the SEC West teams could play and win in the NFL. SEC! SEC! SEC!
LOL now the SEC lovers wanna kick out UF, USCe, and UGA; ****ing hilarious.

Dan, like Babe Ruth in Wrigley Field I called my shot. By the way, Indiana is laying claim as SEC East Champ.

This post was edited on 11/30 1:08 AM by MarkECannon

But, we all know it cyclical. The SEC East will be back in a few years. And, a very weak Florida didn't lose to FSU by much! I can't explain the Georgia loss. Is Mark Richt's job in jeopardy?

My big question is what happened to Miss St? I thought they would blow away Ole Miss. Instead, they were embarrassed.

Originally posted by Choctaw_fan:
But, we all know it cyclical. The SEC East will be back in a few years. And, a very weak Florida didn't lose to FSU by much! I can't explain the Georgia loss. Is Mark Richt's job in jeopardy?

My big question is what happened to Miss St? I thought they would blow away Ole Miss. Instead, they were embarrassed.
Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UT Martin. That was Mississippi States out if conference schedule. Now throw in wins against an overhyped and over ranked SEC teams and you get the formulas of how the SEc always has teams loaded at the top of the rankings.

That's Richt's knock, will have a team playing like world beaters one week then shows up like a Pac 12 Coach and loses to teams he's supposed to beat the next.

Strange year in college football, that's for sure. There's no clear cut best team, even at this juncture. Alabama looks good but their defense is very suspect. Everyone in the country has been knocked off except for FSU but if they keep playing like this, it will happen. But hey, this is what we've asked for. We now have a playoff system and although we may not like it, it's a step in the right direction. And this is exactly the kind of year we needed to push for that playoff field to be expanded to include more teams because any team can get beat at anytime. No one is invincible. For goodness sakes, prior to this year, who would have believed that the team that won the SEC East would lose a home game to a Big 10 bottom feeder (4-8 Indiana)? Seriously? The Hoosiers lost to Bowling Green! Anyway, the point is, we finally have parity in college football and I like it!

Oh, yeah, yesterday's results prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ACC is CLEARLY a superior conference.

If it proved anything, it was that college football needs to find coaches who can recruit and coach defenses. It's a shame that Will Muschamp continued to build an awesome defense at Florida but couldn't find an offense. Any time you see football games with basketball scores, there's a problem!

If it proved anything, it was that college football needs to find coaches who can recruit and coach defenses. It's a shame that Will Muschamp continued to build an awesome defense at Florida but couldn't find an offense. Any time you see football games with basketball scores, there's a problem!
Wrong. Anytime you see an L after a game, there's a problem. Thats why he was fired. I guarantee you noone at UF would have fired him if he had won every single game by 1pt.

Originally posted by blackpopsicle:

Oh, yeah, yesterday's results prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ACC is CLEARLY a superior conference.
What it proves is the SEc was over rated and over hyped and it helps pad the stats of the teams every year.

Preseason rankings 2014

Auburn #6
South Carolina #9
georgia #12
LSU #13
Texas A&M #21

in the end maybe two of those will end up being legitimate top 25 teams but it just feeds into the perception of how hard the SEc is, now throw in two or three creampuffs and you can see how the SEC does it.

Cocoa2010 posted on 11/30/2014...

Wrong. Anytime you see an L after a game, there's a problem. Thats why he was fired. I guarantee you no one at UF would have fired him if he had won every single game by 1pt.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Cocoa, if winning is the only thing that counts than why does FSU keeping falling in the polls? They might drop out of the playoffs if they don't have an impressive win over Georgia Tech.

Wrong. Anytime you see an L after a game, there's a problem. Thats why he was fired. I guarantee you no one at UF would have fired him if he had won every single game by 1pt.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Cocoa, if winning is the only thing that counts than why does FSU keeping falling in the polls? They might drop out of the playoffs if they don't have an impressive win over Georgia Tech.
If we lose to Gtech we will have what all 4 teams in front of us have.... A Quality Loss (Gtech is #11) maybe that will impress the voters since they seem like Quality losses... Think about that Choctaw.

Good job at completely changing the subject. But FSU can be used as a good example. Bobby Bowden was loved for decades because he won; then the last decade he coached, he barely stayed bowl eligible most years. That led to his firing. Muschamp was average his entire tenure at UF, thus the reason for his firing.

It doesnt matter if you are #1 in Offense or Defense, if you get an L after your game, you are more likely to get fired than if you get a W.

Back to the subject at hand. What happened this past weekend won't happen again any time soon. And the only reason it ever happened is that SEC schools are allowing too much talent to go elsewhere. Look at how Florida allowed two QBs to leave that are now excelling at other schools. Florida needed one or both of them this year Maybe the SEC does not need better coaches, just better recruiters!

In the ESPN college bowl challenge, I always pick the SEC teams to win every game. I'll do it again this year and I'll match my record with anyone else's,except LAZL. He has all the inside info!

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:

Originally posted by blackpopsicle:

What it proves is the SEc was over rated and over hyped and it helps pad the stats of the teams every year.

Preseason rankings 2014

Auburn #6
South Carolina #9
georgia #12
LSU #13
Texas A&M #21

in the end maybe two of those will end up being legitimate top 25 teams but it just feeds into the perception of how hard the SEc is, now throw in two or three creampuffs and you can see how the SEC does it.
So, the SEC in conference schedule is suspect. Not very good at all. The conference where 10 of the twelve will be going to bowls this year.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, which conference carries out their business any differently? The ACC? Seems like they do it the same way.

I suppose the American, no, their out of conference schedule is occasionally augmented with really good teams from... where? The SEC, the team that you say schedules creampuffs out of conference. Unless you count Bethune Cookman.

That's pretty confusing right there.

Let me add to the confusion--3 teams from both conference didn't schedule power 5 opponent for their NCG--Mississippi, Mississippi State and Vandy from the SEC and UNC, NC State and Wake from the ACC-- so I guess those teams are on par with each other

So it brings to question. If the SEC isn't the top conference, which one is?

I suppose some will say the ACC is better than the SEC now. And others will say the PAC12, or the BIG10.

Make your bet, which conference wins the championship?

I'm going with Alabama for the win.

The SEC hands down because until someone plays for 8 straight titles (Winning 7 straight), gets into the Final 4 for a run at number 9 then SHUT UP!

Hello Pac 10? They haven't won a NC since Bay Watch was still a series. Hell George W Bush was still president and the economy rocking.

And no, even if Miami and FSU had changed places, SK would still be saying his Canes had a little more to prove than 1 in a row (You remember like they introduced the sporting world to the word Swagger).

SK rests his case.

Originally posted by Cat_Scratch:

...Make your bet, which conference wins the championship?

The conference ain't playing. A team is. So that ain't going to solve the argument.

I'll pick Bama, too.

Originally posted by Cat_Scratch:

So it brings to question. If the SEC isn't the top conference, which one is?

I suppose some will say the ACC is better than the SEC now. And others will say the PAC12, or the BIG10.

Make your bet, which conference wins the championship?

How about no CONFERENCE wins the championship but a team that plays in a conference will.... Did the ACC win a title last year or FSU...

Not sure why people give conferences credit for winning titles.

Originally posted by peezy28:

Well, see Peezy - all that conference stuff got run out by the "haters," as your Noles fans like to refer to eveyone else this season who isn't with 'em.

That's because one particular conference was catching everyone's attention because of its proclivity for hanging around the National Title game.

It ges with the territory 'Merica loves a winner just up to a point, don't win too much (Because then it reminds people of our banking industry, politicians and Wal Street) or they get on their hatin' horse.

SK rest his case x 2.

Originally posted by Silver King :
Originally posted by peezy28:

Well, see Peezy - all that conference stuff got run out by the "haters," as your Noles fans like to refer to eveyone else this season who isn't with 'em.

That's because one particular conference was catching everyone's attention because of its proclivity for hanging around the National Title game.

It ges with the territory 'Merica loves a winner just up to a point, don't win too much (Because then it reminds people of our banking industry, politicians and Wal Street) or they get on their hatin' horse.

SK rest his case x 2.
Yeah, the "SEC is good" because 29% or 4/14 teams of the SEC can win National Championships. Thats perfect reason for Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, MissST, USCe, UGA, Mizzou, TAMU, and Tennessee to hoot and holler.

Ok, let's repeat that. FOUR DIFFERENT SEC TEAMS HAVE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE PAST 10 YEARS.

Is there any other conference that won two? The only conference that I can recall came close was the ACC in the late 1990's with all the Miami and FSU wins or near wins.

Miami was not put in the ACC until 2003.

Me personally i wouldn't care about other teams in my conference winning titles unlesd its my team. That's my mentality.

If 14 guys are in a room with a fine chick (lets say Scarlett Johansson) and only 1 of them gets to um... "score" do all 13 get to claim the "td"

Im just saying.

This post was edited on 12/7 11:02 PM by peezy28

Well, I have a different perspective. It's a female thing. It's not every man for himself with us.

I watch games and cheer for teams in this order: Florida, Florida State, Mizzou, any SEC team against Alabama, any SEC team against any other conference, Air Force Academy, Army or Navy.

Sorry, but we don't get broadcasts for the other Florida D-1 schools up here very often. And, with the SEC Network, I can see almost every SEC game every week. How great is that?

Cocoa, nice logic, but alas, it swings in SEC's favor - let me use another sport so it's not so emotional for you:

Let's look at MLB, and think if you will the American League East a few years back when they were running the table with two or three very good ball clubs. They have to be beating teams in their division so there will be teams with an inverse proportion of losses to wins in their division.

Let's make it more current; now try and stay with me because we're getting ready to run down the water slide of logic.

The San Francisco Giants recently won the National League pennant and World Series. The sporting world doesn't care if the Arizona Diamondbacks (who play in their division) went 64-98 and had the worst record in baseball; because the best teams play in their division (San Fran was the Wild Card) and are going to have half the league losing.

But that really doesn't matter because MLB rewards the league that wins the World Series with the next season's All Star Game. So WHICHEVER of the lesser conferences you're pulling for, you're still falling short with that argument.

Staying with the baseball theme, you haters Keep pitchin' 'em up, I'll swing. SK Rests his case x 3!

Disclaimer: As a state of FL fan, I do hope FSU repeats, but after that I'm all SEC. And Peezy, that's a really Freudian analogy with the hearings in Tally this week.

This post was edited on 12/5 11:34 AM by Silver King

If a SEC team (Bama) wins the championship, then the SEC gets to claim they won another championship. Just like the ACC won the championship last year.

FSU loses to Georgia Tech
Alabama loses to Missouri
Arizona upsets Oregon

TCU is #1 - plays Arizona and gets upset

Ohio State plays Baylor - outscores them

Ohio State beats Arizona

Buckeyes win it all.

There you go.....

22Wham, now that's a pipe dream. Will never happen. Only one team has out scored Baylor on the football field. I wonder if their football team is outscoring their basketball team!

I would have expected our resident Buckeye graduate to come up with that twisted logic. He's been really quiet lately. Must be working extra hours at the drive up window.

Championships
Alabama 10 1961, 1964, 1965 (AP), 1973 (Coaches), 1978 (AP), 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012
Notre Dame 8 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973 (AP), 1977, 1988
Oklahoma 7 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974 (AP), 1975, 1985, 2000
USC 7 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974 (Coaches), 1978 (Coaches), 2003 (AP), 2004 (AP)*
Miami 5 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991 (AP), 2001
Nebraska 5 1970 (AP), 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997 (Coaches)
Ohio State 5 1942, 1954 (AP), 1957 (Coaches), 1968, 2002
Minnesota 4 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
Texas 4 1963, 1969, 1970 (Coaches), 2005
Florida 3 1996, 2006, 2008
Florida State 3 1993, 1999, 2013
LSU 3 1958, 2003 (Coaches), 2007
Army 2 1944, 1945
Auburn 2 1957 (AP), 2010
Michigan 2 1948, 1997 (AP)
Michigan State 2 1952, 1965 (Coaches)
Penn State 2 1982, 1986
Pittsburgh 2 1937, 1976
Tennessee 2 1951, 1998
BYU 1 1984
Clemson 1 1981
Colorado 1 1990 (AP)
Georgia 1 1980
Georgia Tech 1 1990 (Coaches)
Maryland 1 1953
Syracuse 1 1959
TCU 1 1938
Texas A&M 1 1939
UCLA 1 1954 (Coaches)
Washington 1 1991 (Coaches)

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:
Why did UF refuse to play UCF in the Birmingham Bowl?
Got a link? The way I hear it, George wanted to play in Florida. Always spinning.

Well, I have a different perspective. It's a female thing. It's not every man for himself with us.

I watch games and cheer for teams in this order: Florida, Florida State, Mizzou, any SEC team against Alabama, any SEC team against any other conference, Air Force Academy, Army or Navy.

Sorry, but we don't get broadcasts for the other Florida D-1 schools up here very often. And, with the SEC Network, I can see almost every SEC game every week. How great is that?
Choctaw, I completely understand your perspective and as you said its a female mentality you folk are not a every man for yourself type and that is completely okay with me from the female perspective.

With that said I mean no disrespect to you Choctaw fan but this goes out to the rest of the SEC followers.... You guys have a female perspective... I'm Just Saying
3dgrin.r191677.gif

roll.r191677.gif

uzi.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Silver King :

Cocoa, nice logic, but alas, it swings in SEC's favor - let me use another sport so it's not so emotional for you:

Let's look at MLB, and think if you will the American League East a few years back when they were running the table with two or three very good ball clubs. They have to be beating teams in their division so there will be teams with an inverse proportion of losses to wins in their division.

Let's make it more current; now try and stay with me because we're getting ready to run down the water slide of logic.

The San Francisco Giants recently won the National League pennant and World Series. The sporting world doesn't care if the Arizona Diamondbacks (who play in their division) went 64-98 and had the worst record in baseball; because the best teams play in their division (San Fran was the Wild Card) and are going to have half the league losing.

But that really doesn't matter because MLB rewards the league that wins the World Series with the next season's All Star Game. So WHICHEVER of the lesser conferences you're pulling for, you're still falling short with that argument.

Staying with the baseball theme, you haters Keep pitchin' 'em up, I'll swing. SK Rests his case x 3!

Disclaimer: As a state of FL fan, I do hope FSU repeats, but after that I'm all SEC. And Peezy, that's a really Freudian analogy with the hearings in Tally this week.

This post was edited on 12/5 11:34 AM by Silver King
Not Freudian at all... It was directly pointed... Stuff like that happens every day in Tallahassee... Every.Damn.Day... Nole, Rattler or Eagle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT