ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity Christian at Providence

ProSetEye

Oct 24, 2011
Ocala
In all seriousness, any ideas on this game? I know that TCA is one of the best teams out there. However, Providence does not seem to me to be a team that you sleep on. And, I guess, playing at home will help somewhat.

The Providence team is coached by Jeff Kopp, a former Jacksonville Jaguar, and assisted by Tony Boselli, another former Jaguar. They are 7-1 so far and, if they manage to defeat TCA, they will win the district. Of course that's a very big IF. Believe that they run the Spread which allows for more passing capabilities than the previous Wing T that they used to run.

I've watched video of their big time RB Jamauri Wakefield. 2,317 total yards so far, 34 TDs, and 282 ypg average. He's a good one. He runs behind what looks like a very good and very big OL. Their QB Charlie Martin seems very capable in running that formation.

Of course they are going up against an exceptional and proven defense at TCA. The Providence defense does not look as exceptional or proven.

Either way, my team OTC will probably have to play both of them in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the playoffs. That is if OTC gets by its last district game next Friday.

If I recall correctly, Providence is a Wing-T type team. Now, I don't know a lot about X's and O's, but unless you're a super duper national powerhouse, it's impossible to run against Trinity Christian.

I'm going JaxTCA 42, Providence 10

Originally posted by SPCjessica2004:
If I recall correctly, Providence is a Wing-T type team. Now, I don't know a lot about X's and O's, but unless you're a super duper national powerhouse, it's impossible to run against Trinity Christian.

I'm going JaxTCA 42, Providence 10
Jessica

Under HC Raulerson Providence ran the Wing-T. According to what I have read HC Kopp instituted the Spread when he took over. Probably why they do more passing now than they used to a couple of years ago. The video that I watched of Providence suggest that they are passing a lot more and their QB, Charlie Martin, seems to be pretty good at it. That is why Providence may be a bit more of a challenge then they normally would be be at 95% ground game. However, I can only pass on what I read as the last time I saw Providence play was against us in the 2013 1st round.

Proset: Providence, under Coach Kopp is a very run heavy offensive scheme. They have passed for around 400 yards for the season. They run behind a very large offensive line anchored by Tony Boselli's son. Their quarterback is the son of Coach Gus Bradley of the Jaguars - he is a 9th grader. Providence will most likely try to run the ball right at TCJax and use play action to set up any passing game. I'm just not sure Providence wants the 9th grader sitting for a long time in the pocket with three 230 pound linebackers in Smith, Holland and Alexander coming. Should be a good game with the two best teams from the district.

TCMAN hopefully everybody is back this week. I think we were down 5 men last week. Should be a good battle in the trenches this week.

Originally posted by TCMan:
Proset: Providence, under Coach Kopp is a very run heavy offensive scheme. They have passed for around 400 yards for the season. They run behind a very large offensive line anchored by Tony Boselli's son. Their quarterback is the son of Coach Gus Bradley of the Jaguars - he is a 9th grader. Providence will most likely try to run the ball right at TCJax and use play action to set up any passing game. I'm just not sure Providence wants the 9th grader sitting for a long time in the pocket with three 230 pound linebackers in Smith, Holland and Alexander coming. Should be a good game with the two best teams from the district.
I wonder what happened to QB Charlie Martin? Is he playing behind Carter Bradley? Also, I think that the Florida Times Union stated that Coach Kopp was going to implement the Spread Offense where they could utilize more passing. If they don't have an effective passing attack it's going to be difficult moving the ball against TCA no matter how good their RBs and OL are.

I'm not sure about the backup, but Bradley has been playing as the starter for Providence. The key to stopping them is in stopping wakefield at tailback. I believe he leads the state in rushing at this point in the season. He has had one game where he went for something like 470 yards. Should be a good test for the TC defense, especially if they have some starter out with injuries. This is the point in the season that the difficult schedule that TCJax played should come in handy. Providence has played a pretty light schedule in comparison to TCJax, only losing to 2A NFC a few weeks back. Looking forward to it as it has become somewhat of a rivalry game.

Does either TCA or Providence have live internet streaming for their games? Or, are any of the TV stations going to carry the game this Thursday?

Don't know about TV but you can listen to it online at AM600 Jacksonville.

TCJax 42-0.. Running clock in the 4th quarter. Wakefield held to very little in the way of rushing . Very nice win for TCJax.

Kind of reminded me of Yulee a fees years back. Henry every down. Same with Wakefield. He is a good runner. Don't know what year in school but gonna be good.

Gheytorbait... I understand your "really fellas" comment, but the buzz around the game against Providence this year was that they had the #1 rusher in the state of florida (and #6 in the nation ). Providence also had received a good amount of attention this year by being ranked in the Times Union power poll and possessing what was called by the local newspaper prep guy as "one of the top two offensive lines in the area".

Providence is a 3A team just like TCA. They were 7-1 coming into this game. As mentioned before, they have an exceptional RB that averages 260 ypg, a QB and WRs that are better than average, and a huge OL. Providence is no pushover. Yes, you might expect a powerhouse like TCA to win the game and probably win it big. However defeating the Stallions 42-0 with your subs in and a running clock in the 4th quarter, tells us that TCA is playing at a 5A or 6A level, where Providence is playing at a 3A level. If you look at the box score TCA was only leading 6-0 in the first quarter and 18-0 at the half. If Providence could have sustained some of their drives they might have challenged TCA. However they are going up against one of the best defenses in the state.

I'm waiting to see how TCA does against 5A Vanguard this coming Friday in Ocala. Will be going to that game just to get a look at TCA. Vanguard will be a good test as they always have skill players and are well coached.

Also looking forward to see how CCC does against IMG. TCA lost to IMG 28-7. Hard to believe that IMG will be able to hold CCC under 28 points.

Proset: The beginning of the game was a deluge of rain. Providence had 2 first downs for the game and never challenged the endzone. Providence must develop some type of throwing threat in order to advance in the 3A playoffs. I'm not sure they completed a pass on the evening and maybe only attempted 2 passes. I agree that IMG vs CCC should be interesting tonight. TCJax played horrible on offense and still outgained IMG in total yards for the game. Against TCJax, 14 of IMG's points came off special teams (blocked punt in the endzone) and a scoop and score off a TCJax fumble. Otherwise it's a 14-7 game. I would imagine this would be a pretty close game tonight against CCC. The question for me is this: Can CCC hold up against that massive IMG line that averages 2lbs less than the University of Oregon? TCJax held IMG in check for most of the night but that O-line at IMG is no joke. Should be interesting !

CCC is more of a team that rather win shootouts. Their defense hasn't played together much.

Worth pointing out, IMG has had a resounding 16 days to get ready for this game.

Still, IMG should win by 30+. I do think American Heritage would beat IMG though.

Reality check

Question: What has IMG got to do with regular HS football? Answer: Nothing.

The same people who believe IMG should be allowed to compete in sports against ordinary HS's would probably allow a team of high-end strippers and prostitutes to compete in HS cheerleading competitions.

Re: Reality check

Originally posted by Neutral 0bserver:
Question: What has IMG got to do with regular HS football? Answer: Nothing.

The same people who believe IMG should be allowed to compete in sports against ordinary HS's would probably allow a team of high-end strippers and prostitutes to compete in HS cheerleading competitions.
Neutral, I can empathize with your concerns. However, both TCA and CCC scheduled IMG. Why would they do that if they knew their teams would not benefit from the meetings? I fault Coach Brantley of Trinity Catholic for not keeping IMG on their schedule as they did last season. Yes, they were taken to the woodshed in 2013. But, OTC has a much much better team this season and should have had the opportunity to prove it against IMG. Just remember, IMG is not in any district and does not have the opportunity to enter any playoffs or championship game. So, what is the harm in taking them on? Are we going to admit that an out of state team. like St. John's in Washington DC, is better competition for IMG than our own Florida teams?

Although I respect your opinions I don't understand your reasoning regarding IMG.

This post was edited on 10/31 6:09 PM by ProSetEye

Neutral and Proset

You're both right. But, I still think when the contract was signed Trinity and CCC didn't expect these guys to be great so fast.

I give teams that play IMG credit, but at this point IMG has the program going, need a highly talented deep team to play them.

I don't put much stock in IMG blowing teams out.

Final: IMG 50, CCC 21

Had a chance to speak with a longtime friend and supporter of IMG football. Here's the notes I have:

--> Raved about CJ Cotman, who had 2 TD's in the first quarter of the game- said the IMG Defense was chasing a blur. After the first quarter, he was still getting positive yardage, but the IMG defense was having 2 guys key on him and daring Jeff Smith to beat them.

--> Thought Jeff Smith is highly overrated as a QB, thought he was more of an ATH at QB than a QB.

--> Thought IMG came out shaky from the long layoff and CCC played well. Said the IMG offense really played well all night, but there were some overthrown balls by their QB.

--> Mentioned final score wasn't indicative of how competitive the game was, felt CCC was 1 or 2 plays away from making it extremely interesting. Said CCC hung with IMG until the start of the 4th.

--> Difference in the game was 100% special teams. Said CCC had 3 punts go for 5 yards, had a punt blocked for a TD, and on a kickoff, a CCC player fumbled the ball inside their own 20, giving IMG a gimmie TD. Also mentioned they blocked an Extra Point.

Overall, he felt CCC is as good as anyone they've played but there special teams is the worst he's seen in recent memory.

That's all the notes I got.

This post was edited on 11/1 12:40 AM by SPCjessica2004

Originally posted by SPCjessica2004:
Final: IMG 50, CCC 21

Had a chance to speak with a longtime friend and supporter of IMG football. Here's the notes I have:

--> Raved about CJ Cotman, who had 2 TD's in the first quarter of the game- said the IMG Defense was chasing a blur. After the first quarter, he was still getting positive yardage, but the IMG defense was having 2 guys key on him and daring Jeff Smith to beat them.

--> Thought Jeff Smith is highly overrated as a QB, thought he was more of an ATH at QB than a QB.

--> Thought IMG came out shaky from the long layoff and CCC played well. Said the IMG offense really played well all night, but there were some overthrown balls by their QB.

--> Mentioned final score wasn't indicative of how competitive the game was, felt CCC was 1 or 2 plays away from making it extremely interesting. Said CCC hung with IMG until the start of the 4th.

--> Difference in the game was 100% special teams. Said CCC had 3 punts go for 5 yards, had a punt blocked for a TD, and on a kickoff, a CCC player fumbled the ball inside their own 20, giving IMG a gimmie TD. Also mentioned they blocked an Extra Point.

Overall, he felt CCC is as good as anyone they've played but there special teams is the worst he's seen in recent memory.

That's all the notes I got.

This post was edited on 11/1 12:40 AM by SPCjessica2004
I agree with everything your friend said except 2 things.
Jeff isn't overrated at all. Kid is the best player in Pinellas and one of the best dual threat QB's in the state... College coaches probably know better than said IMG suppporter.

If anything the IMG QB is overrated. As an FSU fan I don't see that kid ever playing at QB for FSU. He is not very accurate and runs scared most times.

As a general rule, I don't post on the message boards anymore- but your IMG friend is nuts. Jeff Threw for 281 yards and rushed for 41. As a whole, we racked up 411 yards of offense. At the end of the day, IMG was more prepared than us, and as a program, better than what we are. By definition of what IMG is, they should be. Still, the score was 29-21 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd and we had the ball, driving- we lost a costly fumble, but we had our chances.

Your friend is correct in that the Special Teams really put distance between the teams, but overall- I'm very proud of our effort. We suffered one injury that we'll know more about soon, but as a whole- we came out of the game healthy.

Bottom line, I don't regret playing IMG- and am looking forward to the playoffs- to me, that's what high school football is about- being a high school student and representing your town/city in a state tournament. There's a lot of really good teams fighting for a championship.

Something to ponder and possibly argue about.

Three of the best teams in 3A are in districts. I'm not sure if Westminster is an Independent and is thus not in a 3A district. All three teams have districts in which their competition is less than scintillating if not down right non competitive

Trinity Catholic has:

MaClay
Father Lopez
PK Yonge

Trinity Christian has:

Providence
Episcopal

CCC has:

Calvary Christian
Admiral Farragut
St. Petersburg Catholic

The FHSAA assigns teams within districts based upon what is available in that classification. So, it is not really the fault of the schools themselves. They have to play the teams that they are assigned.

Since there really is little to no competition in 3A for these schools, they should all petition the FHSAA to move up to 4A or even 5A. All three are routinely defeating out of district 4A schools and above, or if not defeating them then being very competitive with. Let's face it, there is no fun going to a game where one school has a running clock and their subs are in at halftime. Beating teams 50-0 is not an accomplishment if the opposing team is not even equal to your JV team.

I do realize that all three teams schedule higher classification schools for out of district games. But, if they are continually beating or are competitive with these schools then it should tell us that maybe they need higher classification games within their districts.

This post was edited on 11/2 8:57 AM by ProSetEye

ProSetEye what can you tell us about Orlando Vanguard. We play them this week.

Originally posted by Fan 74:
ProSetEye what can you tell us about Orlando Vanguard. We play them this week.
Fan,

All I can tell you about Ocala Vanguard is that they are an enigma. They always have a bunch of skill players and normally are in the playoffs. Their Jr RB Alonzo Taylor is a good one. Big and fast. Gets through the DL quickly. Their Sophomore QB N'Kosi Perry looks to me a lot more poised and skilled than most of the Sophomores I've seen. He is very quick and allusive. Hard to get to and bring down. Vanguard also has a slew of Sr WRs. That being said. They have a new coach this season, Edwin Farmer. Their coach of the last few years, Alex Castaneda, retired. So, obviously the team has growing pains under new leadership. They're scoring 24 ppg but are giving up 24 ppg. So, the defense has got a lot of work to do.

Although they are a pretty good 5A team and always give a 100% effort, I think they will be overmatched playing against TCA. Unless they bring their best A team effort up to Jacksonville on Friday they are not coming back to Ocala with a win. Possibly a closer game than many people think, but that is only speculation.

I'm planing on being at the game. Kind of scouting TCA to see how they will stack up against OTC. Don't know if either team will leave their starters in for the entire game as they are both in respective playoffs.

This post was edited on 11/5 11:44 PM by ProSetEye

Thanks for the info. You should see quite of few underclass man on Friday. We still have several injured I believe. Enjoy the game on Friday..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT