ADVERTISEMENT

This I loved....and for the kids..I was there

JC-5

Oct 24, 2001
Saw one of the best tie breakers I have ever seen....'
Bartow winnng it....wow

By ROY FUOCO

THE LEDGER

One drive was all it took for Bartow to finally make the playoffs.

On the their first possession of the tiebreaker, the Yellow Jackets drove 44 yards and settled for a Chris Ramirez 20-yard field goal for the only points of a 3-0 victory over Kathleen on Monday night at Bartow Memorial Stadium, giving Bartow the runner-up spot in Class 7A, District 5.

Bartow will play Osceola in the first round of the playoffs on Nov. 14 in Kissimmee. “It’s always a sour note t h e wa y Haines City beat us (on Oct. 24),” Bartow coach Jason Butler sa id. “ We missed a field goal, so it’s great to see him (Ramirez), not necessarily redeem himself, but act more like himself. He’s usually steady, calm and collected, and he drilled it tonight. That was great for him, great for the offense, great for the whole team, but especially him.”

On the night’s only scoring drive, Bartow took over at the Kathleen 47 after a 25-yard punt return by Tre Jordan.

Barton got runs of 18 and 24 yards by Ty’reese Cruz to move the ball to the 2. Kathleen’s defense stiffened. Bartow threw an incomplete pass on first down and was stopped on two running plays, including Cruz for a 2-yard loss on third down, and Bartow settled for the field goal.

“The offensive line has been doing very good job all year long,” Butler said. “They had some lines open up for Cruz tonight. We got a little cute at the goal line when we should have just pounded it on in.”

Kathleen couldn’t get anything going offensively all night.

On the ensuing possession, the Red Devils had good field position at the 38. However, they lost 18 yards on first down when the snap went over

This post was edited on 11/4 10:56 AM by JC-5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT