ADVERTISEMENT

TCA vs AHD in Final

Fan 74

Dec 7, 2008
AHD opens up as the 6 point favorite. Looking at video against CCC and Westminister AHD looks like the real deal. Hopefully both teams are healthy for this match up.

Originally posted by Fan 74:
AHD opens up as the 6 point favorite. Looking at video against CCC and Westminister AHD looks like the real deal. Hopefully both teams are healthy for this match up.
Just remember, Fan 74, that TCA is the real deal, also. The way I see it, to be the champion you have to beat the champion. I don't think anyone should pick against TCA. That's just my opinion. Is TCA healthy going into the championship game?

Posted this in another thread a few days ago.

If you just look at 3A, the two finalists (AH-Delray and Jax Trinity Christian) beat 2/4 teams remaining in 5A (AH-Plantation and Godby). Heritage also has wins over Glades Central (4A), East Lee County (6A), Palm Bay Heritage (6A) and Central High Alabama 7A (state semifinalist).

I'll take Heritage in a close one. But what an amazing 3A final.

Originally posted by Landobound:
Posted this in another thread a few days ago.

If you just look at 3A, the two finalists (AH-Delray and Jax Trinity Christian) beat 2/4 teams remaining in 5A (AH-Plantation and Godby). Heritage also has wins over Glades Central (4A), East Lee County (6A), Palm Bay Heritage (6A) and Central High Alabama 7A (state semifinalist).

I'll take Heritage in a close one. But what an amazing 3A final.
You are 100% correct. AH is an exceptional team and in order to defeat them it will take another exceptional team. I just feel that TCA is a team that can coast along in a game and look unexceptional for a half or even 3 quarters. Then, just when you thought they were ready for the taking, they explode and bury you. The amount of athletes on this TCA team just wears down most teams. Their defense never seems to get tired and your offense just gets tired of trying. If AH has an exceptional passing attack I think they have a chance against TCA. If not, I think it will be a long afternoon for AH. OTC has an exceptional passing attack along with a very good rushing game and could only score 10 points on them.

I'm curious if Warren Robinson plays this week for the Stallions, CCC was to banged up to do much more than roll over and die, so it was smart to sit Robinson out last week; however, this week, he'll need to play as putting Trenard Davis at QB takes away IMHO a top WR on the offense.

For Heritage to win, they need to be able to throw the football- running against the Trinity defense is next to suicide. Devin Singletary is a special athlete, and the Brockwell's up front are strong linemen, but those Trinity beasts up front are double tough.

That door swings both ways though, the Heritage defense isn't a pushover either- Rondarian Bell and Joshua Ward are as good as defensive ends as you'll find. I also think Desmond Cain can make up for any mistakes.

Both teams have played tough schedules and you can make an argument for either team. My preseason pick was Jacksonville Trinity, and since they are here, I'm not going to go against it. But, Heritage has really caught fire...they went to Alabama with question marks and came back as young men.

Originally posted by Dan in Daytona:
When 3A AH-D beat 5A AH-P,that's all you needed to know to rank this championship final.
Yeah, but ZERO to 38 against Gulliver Prep??

ProSetEye you got me revisiting that OTC game. That was a classic game right there with a lot of talent on both sides of the LOS. A lot of hitting took place by both teams. I believe we got #2 back full time last week but lost #1 for a half. Don't know the status of #1 but if he cant go we lose a LB, RB and wide out as he plays all three thru out the game. Our main back seen limited work last week due to the ankle he sprained against you guys toward the end of the game. Other than that I have not heard any injuries this week in practice. Going to be fun game as I think this is the 3rd time since 2009 we will have played AHD.

Originally posted by Dan in Daytona:
When 3A AH-D beat 5A AH-P,that's all you needed to know to rank this championship final.
Dan, I don't know if that is all you have to consider. TCA played arguably the best team in the nation Buford close. They defeated 5A powerhouse Godby, and blew out 4A power Madison. We can't dismiss one of the toughest defenses in high school football so easily. I have watched both teams play. Unless AHD brings an effective passing attack, to go along with their running game, they will probably lose IMHO. I don't see AHD and Trenard Davis possessing a truly effective passing attack. You simply can't run against TCA no matter how good you are at it. And AHD is good at it.

ProSetEye you got me revisiting that OTC game. That was a classic game right there with a lot of talent on both sides of the LOS. A lot of hitting took place by both teams. I believe we got #2 back full time last week but lost #1 for a half. Don't know the status of #1 but if he cant go we lose a LB, RB and wide out as he plays all three thru out the game. Our main back seen limited work last week due to the ankle he sprained against you guys toward the end of the game. Other than that I have not heard any injuries this week in practice. Going to be fun game as I think this is the 3rd time since 2009 we will have played AHD.
As long as Martin and Clark are healthy and ready to go you then have a potent rushing offense. Toliver is the additional player in that triple headed monster. What a potent backfield. Barr seems also to be a big part of that offense at WR. Since AHD has a good rushing defense Cobb may have to go to Barr, Wade, and Flowers more than is usually necessary.

I think that TCA is going to win this game on Saturday. You will do it with your stone wall defense against a team where rushing is their bread and butter.

This post was edited on 12/4 1:43 PM by ProSetEye

Looks like a very tough game coming up on Saturday. AH Delray is picked to win by 3-6 points by most, if not all of the high school prognosticators. Their lone loss came to a very good Miramar team, in a game that ended with AHDelray on the 5 yard line with a chance to tie. Trinity's two losses came to two national powers in IMG and Buford. I think the game, like the one against OTC, will come down to the line of scrimmage and Trinity's front seven against the Oline of AH. Trinity has been very stout all year against the run and normally shuts down the running game of any opponent, forcing them to throw at Toliver, Williams, Johnson and Edwards (all of whom are D1 defensive backs). Lakeland Christian was forced into this strategy last week and it resulted in 4 interceptions in the second half. A real concern is how TCJax will move the ball against a AH defense that held Miramar to 14 points. Trinity QB Cobb will need to continue to pass well and take some pressure off the OLine and backs of TCJax. I think it could be a close game, decided by turnovers, penalties and tackling. I hear that the AHDelray team and staff feels that AH Delray will win this one going away, so I hope TCJax comes out ready to play on Saturday. Looking forward to it !

Landobound,

It's being broadcasted live through Bright House Sports Network. You can buy a daily pass for 7 bucks and watch the game live if you can't make it to Orlando.

Dish Network is carrying it live at 1 pm Saturday on Channel 421 CST (Cox Sports Television). I believe that CST will be carrying all of the championship games.

At the half TCA 7 to 0 over AHD. Great defensive game so far. AHD working on the pass a little. TCA D has been stout in first half. But 1 half left to play.

TCA 27 to 7. Final. ProSetEye you were correct. OTC was best team we played in play offs. Jess you were also correct. TCA D best in 3A and maybe one of best in state of FL.

The only reason that AHD scored at all, on the last play of the game, was because the TCA players were ready to go home. And, it took them 4 downs inside TCA's 3 yard line to even get that score. AHD may be a very good team in their district and region. But, if you can't pass very well you are not going to win in Orlando. AHD has no passing game at all. Congratulations to the Conquerors. One of the best teams in Florida.

Jacksonville Trinity Christian is the best team in 3A, honestly- they have been all year. American Heritage Del-Ray has nothing to be ashamed about. I do think Ocala Trinity Catholic was the toughest team Trinity Christian played in the playoffs- OTC is a double tough football program who just flat out doesn't lose many games- so for Trinity Christian to win that one, really showed the heart and resolve of a champion.

3A was a blast this year, more interesting that many felt it could of been. Now, we'll see how reclassification works its magic and see which teams end up where, new districts, regions.

Again, kudos to JaxTCA for an outstanding championship season!

See Jess I told you not to buy into the hype. AH was really good but they were 1 dimensional and that one dimension played right into the strength of the best defense in 3A and one of the best in the state. You have to be able to pass to beat Trinity.

Dominating performance by TCJax in the finale for a great team. TC Jax was simply unbelievable today and held one of the best offenses in the state in check for all four quarters. Congrats to coach Dorminey on the program's 5th title and back to back championships. All year I've kind of laughed every time the AP poll came out and had TCJax 5th in the state in 3A. Watching this team in person shows you how ridiculous the defense is for TC. AHDelray played hard and should be proud of a great season. They just ran into a juggernaut this year.

Heritage beat Glades Central, Palm Bay Heritage, Plantation Heritage, CCC, Phenix City Alabama.... please find me a bad team in that bunch. Those are all reallly, really good teams. It wasn't so much that Heritage was all hype, it was that Trinity is that darn good.

Now, credit where credit is due, Kibid nailed the game out of the park, his prediction was Trinity 28, Heritage 7 with Heritage finishing with less than 75 yards of rushing and less than 5 completed passes. But he also made that prediction right after Heritage beat the living crap out of CCC, so my assumption was that was an emotional prediction- so I picked Heritage.

Overall, it was a great season and the preseason favorite won it.

Nah he was being honest if you would have asked him honestly without bias he'd tell you if CCC was healthy they'd have lost to TCA today too.

So maybe the boys in 3A will get to play with at least one of the 4A teams next year. I think Cocoa is down 240 students from what I've heard and I think that will drop them into 3A. Will be interesting to see what they do with the reclassification.

Cat Scatch,

Technically, Tampa Catholic is a 4 team playing in 3A; however, in Cocoa's case, if there was a drop in student population- according to the current climate of a 636 cutoff from 3A to 4A, that would put Cocoa in Class 3A Region 2 which is the Orlando area region.

Obviously, the cuttoffs will change a bit and may be raised to accomodate the 1/3 smaller schools in the smallest classes. I actually expect Class 3A's cutoff to go up to around 700. Part of this is that a lot of schools went off to form their own leagues, sometimes that seems to be picking up steam.

I don't think anybody can reliably predict the future of the classifications at this point; however, I would love to see Cocoa vs Jacksonville Trinity or Cocoa vs Ocala Trinity Catholic.

I would like to see some of the higher classification teams, in 4A and even 5A, move down to 3A. Most of the teams in 3A are not competitive with the exception of 4 or 5 teams. OTC, TCA, and CCC, have very weak districts. None of the teams in those districts have any chance of defeating those 3 teams. Nobody wants to see games over by the half and with running clocks. I don't even bother going to the OTC games when they play these teams. I would like to see teams like Cocoa, Madison, Bolles, Raines, Gulliver Prep, and Glades Central, move to 3A. Also teams like South Sumter and Wakulla. That would make 3A a very tough class.

That's easy to say Proset when you select your players such as TCA or yourself but the actual schools who rely on kids who actually live in the community would hope not to play an all star team in the playoffs. Probably easier to move the privates up a class or two.

Originally posted by Captains Morgan:
That's easy to say Proset when you select your players such as TCA or yourself but the actual schools who rely on kids who actually live in the community would hope not to play an all star team in the playoffs. Probably easier to move the privates up a class or two.
Yep what Captain said. If you offer ANY financial assistants to student athletes you should be made to play up 2 classes

Proseteye,

I think you're 100% correct. I'm looking at the rosters for the teams that have been the "elite" 3A teams over the past 3-4 years. They are all going to be realllllly good again next year. JaxTCA has a bunch of young studs, American Heritage brings back almost all of their skill players and you know they'll get a few transfers, CCC's potential 2015 roster already resembles an All-Star roster and word is there is a very real shot they are going to load up for CJ Cotman as they have him for 2 more years, we're talking 8-10 transfers this offseason. OTC isn't going anywhere with the amount of underclassmen.

It's hard for other teams to compete in 3A. The classifications are going to be highly interesting.

Are the majority of 3A if not all of 3A private schools? I would assume all private schools have to get students to come to their schools. I would almost go out on a limb and say most if not all private schools deal with enrollment the same way as well. I do not think there are boundaries for private schools as there was for public schools back in the day.. Thus that is why 3A is all private schools. Now be it smaller private schools.

I agree with Jessica and Proset as well. The top teams in 3A have a decent number of underclassmen returning next year and will look to some younger players to fill some big shoes. The redistricting always creates some controversy and will likely do the same this year as well. As far as who moves up and who should be playing who, the FHSAA has already attempted to address this by the current classification systems. Class 3A is overwhelmingly private at this point. Trinity beat two private schools to win the district and then 4 more private schools to win the state title. As far as moving up to 5A like river rat suggested, I'm not sure that helps. The 3A championship finalist played both of the 5A state finalist. AH Delray beat AH Plantation and TCJax beat Tallahassee Godby. So 3A in Florida actually proved to be one of the best classes in all of the state in my book. By the way, public schools are still getting it done in their respective classes as evidenced by Booker T. Washington's dominance over Bolles for 3 years in a row.. .

Bolles is one of the few private (football) schools that require high academic achievement. Not just anyone can get it there, that's the reason why and Booker is Nationally Rank the past two years. I got some people that went to Bolles and TC in Duval. Let's just say the ones at Trinity couldn't get into Bolles...
This post was edited on 12/8 1:13 PM by fan44

Fan44... Trinity actually has good academic achievement as well. In fact, almost fifty percent of potential students (and athletes) that apply at TCJax do not get in as they can't pass the entrance exam. TCJax alumni are at almost every major college and leave our private Christian school with a very good education. TCJax maintains an academic standard for athletes that is actually higher than the guidelines set forth by the FHSAA. Trinity also has many very good student athletes. Within the last year, Trinity has had kids accepted to the Naval Academy, Vanderbilt, Yale, JU, etc... This year, the starting safety on our State Champion team has offers ( and has been accepted) to Stanford with a 4.0 GPA. Bolles is a great school - no doubt about it. But you may want to entertain the thought that perhaps the kids at Trinity are at Trinity because they want to be there.

TCA #9 Has an offer from Stanford. I wonder if it is as hard as Bolles to get into. I know Bolles is the best school but not all of the smartest people go there. JMO

Are the majority of 3A if not all of 3A private schools? I would assume all private schools have to get students to come to their schools. I would almost go out on a limb and say most if not all private schools deal with enrollment the same way as well. I do not think there are boundaries for private schools as there was for public schools back in the day.. Thus that is why 3A is all private schools. Now be it smaller private schools.
There are a few public schools in 3A like Frostproof and Ft. Meade

I think there are like 1 or 2 public schools in 2A.

1A actually has 1 private school (correct me if I am wrong) in Aucilla Christian or something like that.

Peezy,

I hear Ft. Meade, Frostproof, Pahokee, Moore Haven are all looking to go Rural 1A. If that happens, 3A would be an All Private School classification and contain most of the small private schools.

It then becomes an issue of the bigger private schools like Jesuit/ STA/ Columbus..what do you do with them? It's not really fair to throw them in 3A unless you ONLY look at private schools and have Small Privates and Large Privates.

It's always a tough subject to deal with.

I actually think you could lump the privates into large and small classifications. The tricky part is defining the numbers to make it work. For instance, there is no reason STA should breeze through the playoffs when AH-Delray, AH-Plantation, Columbus etc..are all located within an hour. I'm not saying any of those teams would beat them, but they would require STA to actually fight through the playoffs.

Additionally, why do Bolles and TCA have to be in different classifications? They're on a level playing field if you ask me.

I don't have all the answers as to how divide the teams, but it seems odd that this has never been addressed with all of the complaints every year.

This is off topic, but did Kevin Toliver end up playing this year in the playoffs for TCA? I had heard from a few people he got in to a pretty nasty fight at school and Trinity was contemplating expulsion.

I ask because this state run would be even more impressive without their best player. As a Bolles alum who was a part of the team when we were district opponents, hope this rivalry can be renewed one day.

I knew of the Frost proof, & Fort Meade but I thought they were supposed to be 1A already but it was to far to travel North and North West to play games. I agree that 1A is a geographical oddity for them two to play in. I was under the impression it was their decision to play in 3A to hold down cost of travel. Anyway 30 out of 32 schools in 3A are private.

Originally posted by Captains Morgan:
I agree with you. And, in fact stated just that in a previous message. I think that TCA, CCC, OTC, and AHD could easily compete in 4A and even 5A. All of these teams take on higher classification teams and defeat most of them during the regular season. I remember one year, when OTC went undefeated, we had 8 higher classification teams, 4A through 8a, on our schedule. And, these were all good teams. Most went to the playoffs. I'm just tired of seeing these teams play against other 3A teams that don't have any chance. I have no idea why most of the other teams in 3A are not capable teams. All private schools have the same ability to obtain players so there should not be that much difference among them. I thought that any school could petition the FHSAA to either move up or down in classifications.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT