ADVERTISEMENT

Tarpon coach steps down.

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Coach Wade Taylor has been in the program a long time, good man and a friend of mine. It's never easy to follow the best coach to ever coach at a school along with his longterm DC and OC/QB whisperer. Still, last year he over achieved. This year the talent dropped off and we were kind of forced into changing QBs going into the first game. Teams could stack the box and penalties cost a couple games. Wade's been coaching a long time (Track also, and did a stint as a college track coach). He said he's ready to turn it over.

Thanks coach!

Silver King, I know Elgin Hicks really wanted the job after Binky retired. Is he seen as a possibility now?

Coach Wade Taylor has been in the program a long time, good man and a friend of mine. It's never easy to follow the best coach to ever coach at a school along with his longterm DC and OC/QB whisperer. Still, last year he over achieved. This year the talent dropped off and we were kind of forced into changing QBs going into the first game. Teams could stack the box and penalties cost a couple games. Wade's been coaching a long time (Track also, and did a stint as a college track coach). He said he's ready to turn it over.

Thanks coach!

So do they reach from within the program again to find a new coach or go outside of it?

This took me a bit by surprise - I don't get the local Mullet Wrapper, and my brother-in-law asked me about it sitting down to Christmas Eve dinner.

In times like these, I try and let the guy whose job it is, work. Our AD's remarks are pretty explicit about what they're looking for. He's pretty good at what he does; coming off the Tarpons' best Athletic year in its history with State/Regional/District titles. It's engrained in the program and a huge commitment. I think we always look in-house first and the history of this century proves that has worked for the Tarpons; you trust your guys who understand the culture and the road to get it back if that's required. CHS has something like 36 alumni teaching here, one of the highest numbers in the country. This past year's staff had a HC and 7 or 8 guys who played for the Tarps, on the sidelines as assistants or volunteer coaches. Still it's a pendulum swing and its going to take a bit of time to get a new system hitting on all cylinders.

Mark, I'm not even sure if Elgin is still interested, haven't heard. We have upcoming talent in our OC and DC and a former head coach in the pool.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Dang yall Tarps are like some of those west/panhandle Texas schools where the fish stay close to the birthplace

Reactions: Silver King
Punta Gorda was the epicenter of Tarpon fishing as a sport, good analogy!

Thanks for the housekeeping of those breaking news stories, somebody must be auditioning for mainstream media!

Punta Gorda was the epicenter of Tarpon fishing as a sport, good analogy!

Thanks for the housekeeping of those breaking news stories, somebody must be auditioning for mainstream media!
The Spammers must've been bored around Christmas

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT