ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Jamboree results from Venice HS

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Lakeland 7 Charlotte 0
Venice 21 Lakeland 7
Manatee 12 Charlotte 7
Venice 44 Manatee 0

Each contest was played in a 2 quarter format. I believe everyone knew going into this, that Venice would be loaded this coming season and the results for the 2 contest they played pretty much proved that point. Venice's contest against Lakeland saw Lakeland leading 7-0 for most of it.........but the last 5 plus minutes saw Venice score three times to put them on top 21-7. Against Manatee Venice open the contest with a kickoff return for a TD and it went down hill fast from there for Manatee. It appeared Manatee spent little to no time on special teams during spring drills, as Venice would score 2 more times on special teams play as well as recorded a safety. I was curious about the transfer QB for Venice, and it looks like he'll fit in perfectly with what Venice likes doing offensively.

Charlotte HS looks to have its self a team with some potential! Sliver King mentioned to me that there were questions about the QB, and it looks like he was spot on with that assessment. I believe the Charlotte coaches got to see everything they needed in as far as closing out spring practice, and can now begin the work of planning for fall practice........ knowing what Charlotte's strengths and weakness are heading into the fall.

Lakeland's approach was typical of what most coaches do during the spring. I remember watching Martin their QB play against Manatee as a freshman, but transfers always seemed to knock him out of being a potential starter. He played both contest tonight and appears to be finally in a position to be the starting QB......I don't believe he had the best night in either contest and I have to wonder if Castle might have a transfer somewhere in Polk county waiting in the wings by the time fall practice starts? Lakeland should be very good in the fall.

Manatee tonight reminded me of what Manatee looked like when Tommy Plaster was its head coach.......(for 1 season), before Bob James came to Manatee.................they were pathetic looking tonight! This is what the fan base and boosters wanted however, so I'm just going to stand back and watch as the up-coming season unfolds.......................it could get ugly......real ugly by season's end next year..................rock bottom however might just be what needs to happen.................the potential is there!

Go Canes Go!

Lakeland 7 Charlotte 0
Venice 21 Lakeland 7
Manatee 12 Charlotte 7
Venice 44 Manatee 0

Each contest was played in a 2 quarter format. I believe everyone knew going into this, that Venice would be loaded this coming season and the results for the 2 contest they played pretty much proved that point. Venice's contest against Lakeland saw Lakeland leading 7-0 for most of it.........but the last 5 plus minutes saw Venice score three times to put them on top 21-7. Against Manatee Venice open the contest with a kickoff return for a TD and it went down hill fast from there for Manatee. It appeared Manatee spent little to no time on special teams during spring drills, as Venice would score 2 more times on special teams play as well as recorded a safety. I was curious about the transfer QB for Venice, and it looks like he'll fit in perfectly with what Venice likes doing offensively.

Charlotte HS looks to have its self a team with some potential! Sliver King mentioned to me that there were questions about the QB, and it looks like he was spot on with that assessment. I believe the Charlotte coaches got to see everything they needed in as far as closing out spring practice, and can now begin the work of planning for fall practice........ knowing what Charlotte's strengths and weakness are heading into the fall.

Lakeland's approach was typical of what most coaches do during the spring. I remember watching Martin their QB play against Manatee as a freshman, but transfers always seemed to knock him out of being a potential starter. He played both contest tonight and appears to be finally in a position to be the starting QB......I don't believe he had the best night in either contest and I have to wonder if Castle might have a transfer somewhere in Polk county waiting in the wings by the time fall practice starts? Lakeland should be very good in the fall.

Manatee tonight reminded me of what Manatee looked like when Tommy Plaster was its head coach.......(for 1 season), before Bob James came to Manatee.................they were pathetic looking tonight! This is what the fan base and boosters wanted however, so I'm just going to stand back and watch as the up-coming season unfolds.......................it could get ugly......real ugly by season's end next year..................rock bottom however might just be what needs to happen.................the potential is there!

Go Canes Go!
Lakeland will benefit from the return of 5* Gabe Dindy, 3* Miguel Maldonado, FCS prospect Dre Keys, and transfers QB Tyler Williams, QB Michael Singleton, WR/OLB Joey Cheshire, and perhaps some others we don't know about yet. Once those kids begin playing, I think Lakeland will begin to look like a state title contender. Without all of them tonight, and with a wicked wind turning two Venice sky kicks into accidental onside kick recoveries (and a 3rd resulting in an awkward, game-ending fall for 3* Nasir Bowers), Lakeland was a shell of what they figure to be in a few months.

Last edited:
Can't add much to that, although you're being kind and a lot more optimistic than me about Charlotte.

No doubt, Venice was the Belle of the Ball - they were the best coached team there last night. lots of experience on that staff. Those special team pop-up onside kicks - some may think those were wind aided flukes, but Venice is very astute with onside's, just get it up high and let your athletes run under it. If they're successful they will go to it again - seen that happen against us. And of course, they will aways draw you off on D, if you're susceptible to it. They coach to time/stage of the season, also.

It was good pre-gaming with you gatorman, and thanks for letting us know it was streamed. They did a great job with the broadcast.

Last edited:
The offsides call when a player just inches across the LOS-without making contact or the ball being snapped- remains one of the dumbest rules in H.S. football. My team has benefitted by it a ton as well; any smart team would try to do so. But, the rule needs to change.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT