ADVERTISEMENT

SPCjessica2004's 2015 Class 3A Preview

SPCjessica2004

Sep 24, 2007
SPCJESSICA2004’s 2015 Class 3A Preview

Football is a great sport to watch for the young, old, male and- yes guys, female. To me, high school football is the purest form of the sport and most exciting. This time every year reporters, websites, blogs and fans hype their favorite teams and tell us why a specific player or team is going to be better than last year. This year is no different- already we’ve heard about the star athletes at many schools not only in the Tampa area, but also around the state.

Class 3A is one of the hardest classifications to predict at this time of year for a plethora of reasons. Sure, teams won and lost their Spring games; however, Class 3A is over 95% Private School based. In the High School football world we live in of Street Agents, Recruiting and Social Media these teams all look vastly different than they did in Spring.

I do not base my predictions off College Prospects, Stars, Offers, Internet Hype or Spring game results. I base a lot of it off of Coaching, returning players (experience), general know-how, speaking with select coaches/fans to get honest-to-goodness opinion and most importantly female intuition.

Please note, these are NOT Pre-Season rankings, as they are more how I feel 3A will shape up over the course of the year.

#1 American Heritage Del-Ray Beach

Last year the Stallions advanced to the State-Championship game in Class 3A where they faced super-power Jacksonville Trinity Christian in a strong showing. American Heritage graduated a fair share of the players off of that team; however, they return, IMHO, the best player in Class 3A Devin Singletary. Singletary will be joined by new QB Cameron Smith, WR/DB DJ Davis (Younger brother of former Stallions QB Marcus Davis), a rapidly improving RB/WR/DB/S Rising Junior Alec Sinkfield and a sure-handed Bruce Hill at WR.

In the Spring, Heritage beat 8A Palm Beach Central 33-0 in a lightening shortend game where Singletary ran for 167 yards on 7 carries and 2 TD’s. It’s worth pointing out that Central graduated 28 seniors and was decimated due to transfers out of the program, still 167 on 7 carries is impressive no matter the opponents situation.

The Jess thinks: I don’t believe American Heritage is as Athletic as the 2014 State Runner-Up Version of the team. Last year’s team was a national Powerhouse. This year’s team is a more humble team. Right now, American Heritage is my pick to win the whole thing in 3A; however, it won’t be a rhomp. Their regular season schedule includes Naples, Bergen Catholic, Glades Central and a host of other quality teams. I truly believe that Devin Singletary is as good as Greg Bryant was a few years ago and while I think Cameron Smith is an upgrade over last year’s QB Warren Robinson and Trenard Davis, I still openly question American Heritage’s passing game. Of coarse, I also openly question any 3A team in 2015 slowing down Singletary.

#2 Jacksonville Trinity Christian Conquerors.

When it comes to dominating small school powerhouses in America, there aren’t many, if any, better than Jacksonville Trinity Christian Academy. The Conqueror’s have won 2 consecutive Class 3A State Championships behind a blazing fast defense, a plethora of players now playing major division-1 football, a legendary high school football coach and a challenging schedule that features numerous ESPN telecasts. With a hefty graduating class that features a loss of 11 D-1 signees, the question is- how will the conqueror’s reload?

Coach Dominey is one of the best coaches in the State of Florida, his championship resume speaks for itself. Expectations will remain high and while the defense is going to be a work in progress, the offense should be in good shape right now. Led by exciting running back Jalen Buie and explosive QB Randall Cobb. The conquerors’ are going to have a strong 1-2 punch this year. Defensively, JaxTCA still has some hard hitters in…

The Jess thinks: I don’t believe JaxTCA will be a 10-0 team and they may be hard pressed to win 7 games; however, they are still the best team in the North of Class 3A. Two years ago Tampa Catholic gave JaxTCA all they wanted, and last year Ocala Trinity played JaxTCA very hard. JaxTCA’s schedule is just as difficult as American Heritage’s and features a few powerhouses such as Tallahasse Godby and Lincoln, a return date with small school power Ocala Trinity Catholic. The road to Orlando will most likely involve games against Pensacola Catholic and then whoever comes out of Region 2 (All of those teams are evenly matched right now).

#3 Clearwater Central Catholic Marauders

Injuries happen to everyone; however, the football gods have been particularly unkind to the Marauders the past two seasons. Last year the Marauders averaged 4 Starters out per game. By the time CCC got to play American Heritage in the final 4, they had more bodies on the sideline than in the game. So far in 2015, the Marauders luck hasn’t changed much. In their spring game loss to Clearwater, the Marauders were without the services of 15 players including rising Juniors CJ Cotman, Dilan Scargle and a host of linemen and back-ups. The 15 players do not include the transfers that have already made the move to CCC, including Air Force Committ John Chiramonte. In all, against Clearwater, the Marauders started a combination of 9 Freshmen on both sides of the ball yet still managed to lead almost the entire game before succumbing late.

I don’t think there’s a better cumulative Jr. athlete in 3A than CJ Cotman who led his team to a state championship game as a Freshmen and was even better his Sophomore year until an injury in round 2 of the playoffs. Right on CJ’s tail will be RB/CB/S Rising Junior Rashaad Stewart who really impressed in the Spring. The biggest hole will be left by QB Jeff Smith, taking his place will be 6’2 185lb rising QB Jakob Parks who played in 6 games last year for CCC. He’s not Jeff Smith, but with the amount of athletes around the program- he doesn’t need to be. The Marauders offensive line also looks be healthy with big-time D-1 Prospect 6’8 280 Adam Samee and 6’5 275 Dallas Bruch.

The Jess thinks: Despite the injury bug the past few seasons, the Marauders managed to go 11-2 against one of the tougher schedules in the state. With that said, I think the 2015 version, when healthy, will be better than the 2014 version as a whole.

The Marauders roster features a grand total of 9 seniors; however, I also feel that the Marauders have more athletes on this roster than even their 2005 and 2013 teams. CJ Cotman is already one of the top players in America as a Junior and on his heels are stars Rashaad Stewart, Amari Burny, Deandre Fitzhenly, Tyler McDonald and a host of others. The amazing thing is that all of these players are Sophomores and Juniors.

If you know CCC, you know they don’t build their schedule to go 10-0, I think this is why they’ve been the most consistent Central Florida Private school over the past 20 years. This year, the Marauders start the season on the road against brutal competition in the first 4 weeks. @ Berkeley Prep, @ 2A Runner-up Indian Rocks, @ Desoto County and a Must-See game against a strong Groveland South Lake that features DJ Allen. They also host powerhouse Ocala Trinity Catholic and have traditional rivalry games against Tampa Catholic and Cardinal Mooney.

If the Marauders are healthy (a Big If), I think they can go blow-for-blow with American Heritage in the South. I’ve given the nod this year to the Stallions until the Marauders can get through a game without somebody needing 5-6 weeks to recover. Still, the Marauders have won 3 consecutive Regional Championships, and I don’t see any reason why they don’t win a 4th in a row this year.

#4 Oxbridge Academy

If there’s a team that people want the 411 on more than Oxbridge, I can’t find them. The Thunderwolves are entering their first year of Classification football and Doug Socha already has a spring win over a strong Cocoa team under his belt. Leading the Thunderwolves will be Senior Travis Homer at running back, one of the more impressive running backs in Class 3A. QB Kyle Hollander at 6’3 215 will be a terror on opposing defenses and expect the plethora of WR’s and athletes the Thunderwolves have to really step up and lead this team.

The Thunderwolves have put together a competitive schedule thsi year that features Ft. Pierce Central, DeLand and Carol City. Of coarse, the game everyone wants to see is against American Heritage Del-Ray.

The Jess thinks: So, the question is- is Oxbridge already the team to beat in 3A? If this were 2017, I think the Thunderwolves would be the favorites. Doug Socha has put together a great program and with the athletes they are attracting it’s only a matter of time before the team skyrockets. That said, if you’re being realistic- I can’t put them above the top 3 teams as they are all more established and have strong teams returning themselves. #4 is the best I can do right now. And yes, I saw their ENTIRE game against Cocoa. I do think American Heritage is better than Oxbridge right now, and I think CCC is better than Oxbridge in 2016. For right now? I like the Thunderwolves, but it’s going to take more than a spring game win over a team that had their top 3 players out and who started 8 Freshmen for me to crown them 3A champions in August.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
#5 Pensacola Catholic

Pensacola Catholic or Catholic for short is a small school powerhouse with a rich tradition of athletes, championships and knack for winning big games. For the past few seasons Catholic has played in a higher classification due to travel concerns as their 3A district would of featured numerous trips to Jacksonville.

For the Crusaders, the expectations are going to be high as QB Z’Khari Blocker (Rising Junior) is going to be a boat load for teams to defend against. Catholic brings back a strong Defensive line and a compentent secondary in stars Simeon Smiley and Jakevis Wright- expect both players to get offensive snaps this year.

Pensacola Catholic is a well rounded, physical, athletetic 3A team that has a shot to represent the North. The only major concern is at offensive line this year as Catholic is replacing most of their starting O-Line.

The Jess thinks: In the North of Class 3A Pensacola Catholic will have to go through JaxTCA early in the playoffs, potentially as early as round 1, more realistically round 2. If they upset the JaxTCA they will have to travel to a Tampa area team. Pensacola to Tampa is a lonngggg trek (I’ve made it twice). Still, it’s good to see Catholic back in 3A- and while I think they might be a bit to young to get to Orlando this year, I see them putting up big numbers and having a strong season.

Other teams I’m watching:

Tampa Berkeley Prep: Full Disclosure, I’ve been a far-away fan of Berkeley Prep since Dominick Ciao took over the program. I think he runs the program the right way and every interview I’ve ever heard him give, he gives genuine respect to the other team, compliments his players and to me, he’s like that grandfather at the dinner table everybody shuts up and listens to.

Berkeley Prep is in a 3 team district that features Tampa Catholic and Lakeland Christian, which is as competitive 3 team district as you’ll find in the State. Berkeley Prep features one of the top players in America (Actually, the #1 TE in America according to ESPN) Jacob Mathias who can play a plethora of positions. I’m also a fan of running back Gordon Stetson and DE Jon Turkel, Turkel lead the team in sacks in 2014 and Stetson has been a stablizer on offense.

The question for Berkeley is who takes over at QB with Brad Mayes having graduated? As a whole, the team is set this year to have a strong season. Berkeley, no stranger to tough competition, starts the season off with CCC and Class 2A State Champion Victory Christian in back-to-back weeks.

So, where does Berkeley Prep finish? It’s hard to project the North of 3A, but I like Berkeley Prep as a Final 4 team. I do think it’ll take a lot and maybe a few breaks to upset Trinity Christian, but I think the Bucs get a shot this year.

Tampa Catholic
: If we go back a few months, the Crusaders from Tampa Catholic were sitting in a position to go blow for blow with Jacksonville Trinity in the North of 3A for a trip to Orlando. Stars Malik Barrows and Tre McKitty transfer to IMG Academy and star QB Kevin Knox decided to focus on basketball. So, where does that leave the Crusaders? Not in a bad spot, they still have Nate Craig who is the #1 WR in America based on a few rankings, and they still have studs Bentlee Sanders and Devan Bareett. TC will be competitive, but in a crowded Class 3A North where there appears to be a lot of parity it will come down to lineplay and coaching, TC has the coaching..but the jury is still out on the lines.

Melbourne Central Catholic: Melbourne Central Catholic had quite a big graduating class from 2014 including Brandon Ziaro who was an exciting QB to watch on a team that featured quite a few amazing athletes. They went toe to toe with Lakeland Christian until the end of the 4th quarter when a few mistakes cost the Hustlers.

Thanks to redistricting, the Hustlers now find themselves in a much smaller 3 team district with longtime rivals John Carroll and Melbourne Holy Trinity( Do MCC and HTA still play the Souper bowl? I went to that game years ago, great cause!). I think MCC is helped by Orlando First Academy staying in the North of 3A and I also think John Carroll and MCC until a few weeks ago was a “Pick em” game; however, in recent developments, BJ Daniels a star RB from Melbourne High School transferred to MCC, which I believe puts them above John Carroll. For MCC to breakthrough to the Final 4 at some point they are going to have to line-up and go Toe-to-Toe with CCC and I just can’t see that one working in the Hustlers favor unless the entire Marauder team comes down with the Bubonic plague, but the point is- I think the Hustlers will find themselves in a position over the next 4 years to be competing for Regional championships which is a testament to the coaching staff at MCC.

Lakeland Christian: We all knew coach Wayne Peace would turn LCS into a winner, but with a tough region and a tough district the past few years, we didn’t know when. Last season, the Vikings gave state champion Jacksonville Trinity Christian a great game in the Final 4. While LCS loses star QB Christian Alexander, they bring back a host of talented athletes that should make another push this year. LCS finds themselves in a tough 3 team district with both Hillsborough County private schools. While I’m giving the nod to Berkeley Prep this year, I think LCS is in a better position, right now, than Tampa Catholic for the runner-up spot. The question mark will be at the QB position. I’ve heard that LCS had a star QB transfer in, I wasn’t able to verify this prior to releasing this list- but the sources are reputable.

Ocala Trinity Catholic: I’m not going to mince words, when I saw OTC’s schedule my husband heard me curse..yes.. I dropped a naughty word that I wouldn’t want my kids to hear, but..LOOK AT IT..that’s impossible, who in their right mind would schedule all of those teams? Well, OTC may be a bit young and yes they lost a couple of guys that transferred out, but I think the Celtics can finish with a winning record and win a district championship in the process. I like what I’m hearing of new coach Joe Sturdivant and I have a lot of respect for scheduling the toughest teams he could find.

It’s no secret I’m a huge fan of Robert Rivers Jr at RB, I’ve felt he’s underrated but I’m also curious to see Ryan Miller and Chris Doty at QB, especially Miller who has a chance to be special. Of the 11 games (including KO classic) that OTC plays, 8 of them are against playoff teams from last year. The two games I think are worth the money immediately are OTC vs JaxTCA and OTC at CCC. Truthfully, I’m not sure where OTC finishes in the playoffs, because the schedule is either going to make them or break them. I still have JaxTCA above them, but then again, they play in week 1. Overall, this is a great time to be an OTC fan and even if the team takes a couple on the chin, they’re building the program up the right way.

Miami Westminster Christian: The Warriors have made some serious progress with their football team in recent years under the guidance of head coach Sedrick Irvin. They’ve had a great run in recent years and currently hold a spot in the National MaxPreps Small School rankings, still the Warriors graduated superstars Tim Irvin, Jordan Cronkite and a host of others which makes getting by American Heritage or Oxbridge that much more difficult. I think the district they’re in comes down to Westminster vs Chaminade-Madonna, in the past few seasons this one has easily gone Westminsters way, but it should be close this year, actually, maybe a pickem; however, I’m sticking with Westminster until somebody else in the district beats them. If you haven’t, check out Elbre Gaiter’s film, he’s explosive!

Great job... although female intuition is rarely used in football, I would count it as better than a hunch.;)

You put a lot of work in this Jess, ever think of going into journalism?

Cat_Scratch,

Thank you! Yes and No. The short story goes, years ago Kibid and I would debate HS football on message boards. He was an avid CCC guy and I was an avid SPC girl. Well, he became staff at CCC and couldn't really debate anything publicly..as anything he said ended up on the other teams wall, even if it was well meaning. I originally enjoyed blogging about CCC/TC/SPC and Berkeley Prep. So, I went solo and just gave my thoughts..a lot of people felt that it was Kibid feeding me the information on those teams, but in truth..he had very little to do it.

The funny thing is, for about 10-15 years, Kibid drove from Melbourne to Clearwater and often back to Melbourne the same night. He was actually an advisor at Brevard Community College and his cubicle was decked out in CCC gear. He rotated between the Melbourne and Cocoa campus..the funny thing was..nobody in Melbourne believed he was part of the CCC staff until they saw him on BHSN game of the week TV and then he'd show up at work the next day. He finally left Melbourne for good and lives in Clearwater full-time, which I couldn't be happier for him since that's where he belongs.

I went to the MCC vs Ocala Trinity and MCC vs JaxTCA games years ago. Thanks to Kibid I knew a lot about MCC, so at least I knew some player names; however, I actually ended up meeting a lot of people from both OTC and JaxTCA and really admired how different they ran their programs than the Tampa area teams.

There's another girl who sometimes posts on these boards named MelbourneGirl22, she lives near Jacksonville, I met her at the MCC vs JaxTCA game and we became good friends-she graduated from MCC and occasionally you'll see her name come up.

I was also fortunate to meet some former American Heritage Del-Ray players and coaches who have been nothing but 100% awesome with helping me with information on their team over the years.

As you could imagine, I don't come up with things on my own. It's really just listening, E-Mailing and getting opinions. I strongly dislike the College Prospect talk, I like to focus more on the teams..not really which player is going to which school. So, I really post for fun.

Reactions: peezy28
I can understand keeping it fun... Blogging about my team and stuff is all I would ever think about doing even though I retired from Gannett after 30 years.

Loved reading what Melbournegirl22 wrote about MCC. She had the scoop most of the time. Hope to see her back this year. Maybe you could drop her a line telling her she is missed by us Brevard fans.

I am with you Jess I HATE writing about recruiting... which is the main reason I don't write for sites anymore it always comes back to "Who's going where" I really don't care and don't want to add to making these kids primadonnas... all I care about is the game and the "TEAMS"

Reactions: redfishron
Oh BTW don't forget to give a heads up when your going to check out a CCC game if it works out to be our bye week I will catch that.

Peezy, I will! I'm not going anywhere for the KO classic. In week 1, I know I'm going to JaxTCA vs OTC, and I'm recording Indian Rocks vs Tampa Catholic. I really, really want to see CCC vs Berkeley because that will be an amazing game, but my theory is I won't get to see JaxTCA again this year, so it's then or never.

I'm also waiting to see if American Heritage vs Bergen Catholic is going to be televised.

Jessica:

Nu'Trelle know a guy name Wavebb who would probably be willing to fly you to a few away game every now and then. Right at the moment, Wave aint own nothin that's flyable, but the boy just put in a bid on a four plane package - all 4 of which is fixable - so if he get em, the boy could easily have something in the air in time for Week 1, nomsayin?

0707020_5.jpg

Hey Nu"Trelle tell Wavebb be sure to check it real good for he gets one in the air. My son who flys out of TIco bought a couple of those fixer uppers. They are real good but he was in the air when a snake came crawlin out from under his seat. People thought he was doing aerobatics until he got it on the ground and seen him jump out on a dead run. Jess might like spiders and snakes though... you never know.

I don't get the love for TC (Ocala)... The schedule isn't that tough and the district is weak. Also, if you notice only one Marion County school would play them. No one will play them anymore in county for obvious reasons which is why they have to go hunting for games. Also, the new HC didn't make that schedule it was handed to him when he got there.

So, you're handed a schedule with Wakulla, South Sumter, Godby, JaxTCA, CCC, Jesuit on it and say that's not that tough? I imagine IMG could run through it, maybe Miami Central or Katy Tx..or De La Salle...but that's a tough, tough schedule for, I imagine, 90% of the schools in America.

Reactions: riverrat1961
No Marion County public school will play OTC because they usually get beaten by a lowly 3A team. North Marion, Vanguard, and Forest always have much more D-1 talent than OTC has. They are also all higher classification teams with larger rosters and more depth. Most teams, in all classifications, have pretty poor competition in their districts. OTC is no different. Also, the teams do not formulate their districts. The FHSAA does. Now, Sayitdontsprayit, tell me what part of the OTC schedule isn't that tough?

You know what I will admit you guys are right that is a pretty tough schedule for OTC. At first glance I saw games with Lake Weir, Father Lopez and Trinity Prep and thought that wasn't that impressive. I don't keep up with all the private schools so after some research when I saw how offended you guys were I agree it is tough and I was wrong.

Also agree that on average most teams have weak districts. It's just OTC for many years played in a joke of a two team district that was comical to say the least.

You know what I will admit you guys are right that is a pretty tough schedule for OTC. At first glance I saw games with Lake Weir, Father Lopez and Trinity Prep and thought that wasn't that impressive. I don't keep up with all the private schools so after some research when I saw how offended you guys were I agree it is tough and I was wrong.

Also agree that on average most teams have weak districts. It's just OTC for many years played in a joke of a two team district that was comical to say the least.

True. However, OTC has no control over what teams are in their district. All of them are still 3A teams that have the same opportunity to be successful as OTC does. OTC has always played a tough out-of-district schedule where most of the opponents were 4A through 8A. We played IMG when a lot of Florida teams wouldn't. Over the last few seasons we've played North Marion, Gainesville, East Lake, Booker, Palmetto, Mainland, and South Sumter, among others.

Do I cover Brevard County Football? No, however- I do follow MCC and Holy Trinity. I really stick to 3A, or more realistically, whatever classes CCC/BP/TC/SPC are in. It just so happens all of those teams are in 3A, hence..why I like 3A.

MCC and Holy Trinity are in the same district this year along with John Carroll Catholic. It's a 3 team district. Holy Trinity is most likely the odd man out on that district with MCC and John Carroll playing for the district championship. Holy Trinity, is starting quite a few 9th graders but has also implimented a strong weight lifting program- I have no doubt in the long term, the program will be fine- but in the short term there will be a lot of bumps.

As mentioned in my preview above, a few weeks ago..MCC vs John Carroll would of been a "Pick em" type game; however, due to some transfers, I like MCC to edge John Carroll out, but don't underestimate the Rams, they've got some good linebackers and will be well coached. It's a huge rivalry game and it's being played in Ft. Pierce.

If things break the way I think they will, MCC will win the district and in round 1 will go against Sarasota Cardinal Mooney, who has quietly assembled a really awesome coaching staff; however, they're most likely 2-3 seasons away from getting that program where they want it to be. I think even with the transfers, MCC and Cardinal Mooney are very evenly matched. Mooney is young, but has some talented running backs and quality linemen. Both teams will be breaking in new QB's. Still, Coach Riazzi and his staff get the nod because 1) The game would be in Melbourne, a place where MCC has pulled off some big upsets and played well. 2) Cardinal Mooney, since I've followed them, doesn't do well on long road trips and Sarasota to Melbourne is a longgg trip.

In the 2nd round, MCC would travel to Clearwater Central Catholic and while anything "Could" happen, realistically MCC doesn't have much of a shot in that one. CCC is a very difficult place to win a football game unless you're a national power (American Heritage Del-Ray, IMG, University school in 2012 are the only teams to win at CCC since they put in the turf 4 years ago).

Overall though, I still expect MCC and Holy Trinity to have strong seasons.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
SPCJessica,

Big thanks to you as your 3A write-ups are fantastic. Great to hear about the class across the state. Really enjoyable. One thing...As someone who grew up in the Delray Beach area, I can't help but cringe every time I see you write it as "Del-ray" ;)

Anyways, I suppose I can deal with it as long as the updates keep coming.

I, for one, have not tried surfing; however, my husband used to surf in his younger days... what he calls surfing, I call playing dead on a surf board.

Neutral, you've got to cut Lonny some slack on this one. After being fed, as a military lifer, saltpeter in all his meals for the past 20 yrs. his suppressed libido was jolted by young Jess's signature pic. Good thing she isn't wearing combat boots. This 13 Bravo ( Gun Bunny ) might be on his way to St Pete now...

Neutral, you've got to cut Lonny some slack on this one.
Nu'Trelle aint bein critical of LFJ. It's obvious the man got a good rap. He just need to move the action from here over to one of those online dating sites. Nu'Trelle favorite was always jailbabe.com, but it's been shut down. Apparently lotsa mens were writing-in and complaining they had been murdered.

After this past week, my 3A favorites are coming from palm beach county: AH-Delray as always, will be in the mix and looked good at times in their win vs Naples. Didn't catch any of the Oxbridge game, but 46-0 win over a Gulliver team with several D-1 prospects is pretty outstanding.

I saw that score also and thought to myself that Delray AH is going to have some fun in 4 weeks. The great thing about south Florida is that they figure out early in the season who is nasty.

Good news is that only 1 of them can come out the South Bracket.... The Oxbridge score is impressive for sure. I think the Oxbridge vs AHD game promises to be a war. As far as favorites in the 3A favorites, I still think TCJax comes out of the north region and will be a tough out for anyone in class 3A.. They looked good in every phase of the game against OTC last Friday and may have as much skill on the offensive side of the ball as any TCJax team I remember watching. However, a lot can happen in a season that effects who might show up in Orlando.

TXMan or Jess. How would you rate TCjax this year vs last year? The roster was loaded last year but they stumbled at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT