ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp Gone

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
He will coach the last two games than step down. What about a bowl, if they reach one? I fear this will have a big impact on recruiting. FSU is getting most of the top recruits in the state right now. How much worse will it get?

I just don't think you can build a championship program in only a few years. If I were a coach, I'd demand a "no firing" clause. They have to honor the life of the contract and there would be no buy-out clause. There is a good reason they offer 5 year contracts. Let's see what a coach can do in the full 5 years.

The other issue is who will replace him? I know Steve Addazio, Dan Mullen, and Charlie Strong have been successful at other schools but will they meet the demands of the Gator Nation?

Oh well! Gator basketball season has started and I'm ready for another exciting year.

They should've fired him last year after the Georgia Southern game. Guy is a great DC, but not cut out to be a head coach at a major program like Florida. And no school will hire a coach who has a "no firing" clause. That's just not realistic. As for the new coach, I heard Foley doesn't like Mullen, plus Mullen didn't like his time there when he was OC. Strong isn't leaving Texas, and Addazio isn't a sexy hire, plus he's another guy the Gates fans hated when he was a assistant at Florida. Hugh Freeze would be my first target. He says Ole Miss is his dream job, but he'll never win a national title there, and Florida is better than Ole Miss in every way. And even though I doubt they would do it, I'd take a serious look at Bobby Petrino. He has a huge buy out at Louisville, but the Gates can afford it and with a good DC, he'd be a great hire.

An article I read says Florida needs to improve their facilities to attract the best. Seriously? People are dying of hunger and a college needs to spend millions to attract a coach who can win a championship. How about they send that money down to the Shands Medical Center.

I was really shocked when they hired Muschamp. Never heard of him before. I guess his hiring and others like Lane Kiffin tell us some coaches are meant to be offensive or defensive coordinators, not head coaches. But how does an OC or DC learn to be a head coach? Where should they start?

Someone I thought of for the Florida job was Spurrier's son, Steve Spurrier Jr. He has no experience as a head coach but he learned from one of the best. I suspect Foley won't make that mistake again and will hire an experienced head coach..

Anyone hear of his buyout? I wonder if he'll take a year off or be able to take a settlement and coach somewhere else?

I'd like to see him take over the DC position at USCaro or Auburn. Those teams need defense badly.

Some talk of a possible hiring.

Source: Florida close to hiring Jon Gruden

If this happens then Florida will be back, enough said.

Foley is the guy who hired Ron Zook; great recruiter and assistant, but HBC material, No - he had the time managment skills of a 1st year Pop Warner Coach who ends up following his son into soccer. OK, I could forgive him that mistake if it wasn;t repeated.

Foley did better win-wise at least, for a couple years with the UM hire but they sold their soul to win. The G-ville police arresting all those bad boys ended up having a ripple effect that we're experiencing now: and the pendulum has way swung the other way in Tally where they have a hands off policy.The FSU Board of regents don't want to have Jimbo get too stressed out and have to leave like UM. Now being a Canes fan of old, I can understand that hire and a win at all costs mentality.

But Foley then hires Muschamp, another no-ready-for-prime-time HBC in the S, Frickin' EC. So, he better come up with an Ace this time because the Bull Gators are growlin' and not liking these sp[inning the wheels type seasons.

I think Jon Gruden will be a great hire. I don't know if he can take them to a national championship but he will do better than Muschamp. They fired Ron Zook and he never had a losing record so I think Muschamp was way overdue.

Seriously doubt Gruden takes that job. Guy makes big bucks announcing, plus if he goes back to coaching, I think it'll be in the NFL, not college.

Originally posted by gambello:
Seriously doubt Gruden takes that job. Guy makes big bucks announcing, plus if he goes back to coaching, I think it'll be in the NFL, not college.
I asked myself why would Gruden even consider coaching on the college level.

My reasoning was that his first debt is to his family which is rooted in Tampa. Second is the stress of college level football isn't near the same level as coaching pros. Third, he has a chance to do the recruiting and development of young athletes. And last, while making a great sum being a common tater, rumored to be 4 million, the salary Florida would pay would be around the same at 4 million.

Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden has agreed to an exclusive
agreement with ESPN that will keep him on sports television's signature
series and out of coaching for the next five years. The new contract
begins in September 2012.

In a recent interview with Real Sports though, Gruden sounds much less
certain than his employer over that agreement saying while he's turned
down several opportunities to get back into coaching, he would return
under the right circumstances. When pressed by Bryant Gumbel, Gruden
said he would come back for the right opportunity.

"I don't know,'' Gruden said. "I'm trying to figure out where I'm
going. If the right opportunity presents itself, I will come back.''

This post was edited on 11/16 10:39 PM by Cat_Scratch

Florida may be a good job but it will be tough to convince any high level coach to come to UF in the current state of the program. Gator fans are unrealistic and don't want to accept that other teams are allowed to win as well. uF needs to find a good head coach at a lower level that can recruit and knows offense well.

Trident is not going to UF, the guy is making big money announcing and his brother is an nfl head coach, Gruden would not go to the college level.

Originally posted by gambello:
Gruden was never great at drafting, he was always good at bringing in vets to run his system so I don't think he would be a great college coach because he might not be the best recruiter (young talent evaluation skills sucked).

Also he makes more announcing than he would coaching at UF.

3 guys who will likely never coach again yet their names come up in every coaching conversation

Tony Dungy
Bill Cowher
John Gruden.

Wow after all the debacle of you guys slapping me around for wanting a head coach gone a few years ago, now all of you are experts. Who are you to say who is head coaching material or not? It's easy to point your fingers at the person who tells the truth but its not fun getting your own cup of cereal fed right back at you.

There is a biblical word for this, its called being hypocritical.

If Chad Morris from Clemson gets a hold of those UF studs, the Gaytors will be a force to be reckoned with! Not sure if he is HC material, but his offense is impressive when he has the right guys to run it.

Ok, I am going to lay it out there, I am a true blue FSU fan, that being said I would like to see UF get the best coach they can and get the program back on track, It's good for everybody in the State to see the program turned around, That being said, maybe just maybe it's the person doing the hiring. Something as big as this is to the school and the success rate of the past for Mr. Foley, one would think that the :gator nation" would demand to have some input. You need a large well know name person that has proven he can coach and can recruit! Here is my recommendation and please don't laugh, think about it.

Terry Bowden, Terry is currently at Akron, a place where you are lucky if you can field a team. He took over a program that had the longest losing streak in America at 28 loses. He has been there three years, went 1-11 the first year and has had two respectable seasons since then. Prior to that he was at North Alabama for three years with two winning seasons and look what he did at Auburn. He was at Auburn for 5 years or let's call it 4.5 years and went 11-0 the first year and had very respectful seasons 4 of 5 with his worst season at 8-3 and three bowl appearances. prior to his fifth year. I know he had his problems with controlling himself and his players but he is hungry to get back in the spotlight. Prior to Auburn, he was at Sanford for 6 years with winning seasons 4 years and Salem for 3 and with 2 winning seasons. If you want someone that can recruit both great players and great coaches and bring some instance publicity to the program, then Terry is your man, just saying!

Originally posted by BStreak:

If Chad Morris from Clemson gets a hold of those UF studs, the Gaytors will be a force to be reckoned with! Not sure if he is HC material, but his offense is impressive when he has the right guys to run it.
I would think the Gators are not going to hire another Coordinator to be HC.

This post was edited on 11/17 4:15 PM by peezy28

Originally posted by HardeeWildcatFan:
Wow after all the debacle of you guys slapping me around for wanting a head coach gone a few years ago, now all of you are experts. Who are you to say who is head coaching material or not? It's easy to point your fingers at the person who tells the truth but its not fun getting your own cup of cereal fed right back at you.

Your still mad about something from a few years ago?

Originally posted by peezy28:

Originally posted by HardeeWildcatFan:

Your still mad about something from a few years ago?
Just picking at Silver King causing him to take a few extra blood pressure pills.

If I had my choice I would try to go after Tim Tebow because 1. He is one heck of a morale booster, 2. He is a great motivational speaker, 3. UF would have a ton of recruits camping at their doorstep the day after he signed the HC Contract. 3. He is a good offensive guru.

This post was edited on 11/17 4:54 PM by HardeeWildcatFan

Wow, I didn't think about Terry Bowden. Do you think a Bowden would ever coach at FSU's biggest rival?

I agree that he has had some great teams over the years and he has big time experience.

Maybe Foley is the problem. The only issue is almost every other UF team, and coach he hired, has had success. Just last year they shared a gymnastics NC, won the WCWS, sent the basketball team to the final four, and did well in most other sports. The women won the Capital One Cup as the best women's program in the NCAA. The only underachieving team has been the baseball team. But, at least they continuously send talent to major league baseball.

Names that should not be on Foley's list....

Bob Stoops
Mike Shanahan
Jon Gruden
Dave Wannstedt
Terry Bowden
Steve Addazio
Lane Kiffen
Jim Leavitt

Names that should be on Foley's List

Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss)
Rich Rodriguez (Arizona)
Dana Holgorsen (WVU)
Charlie Strong (he's not leaving after a year, but they should have fired WM last year and brought in Charlie then)
Bobby Petrino (not going to be able afford his buyout
Dan Mullen (He's not leaving, but Foley should talk to him
Kirby Smart (Not going to happen, because people will consider him WM 2.0)
Paul Johnson (Only because I think he is fantastic, but UF fans would REVOLT)

Ok I agree with you that Foley has hired some very good coaches in other sports that have been successful but my question to you is which sport raises the most money for the school and supports those other sports programs? We all know it's football, it's the foundation of every school and Booster program. Football is built on two things, money and talent. If Foley hires just another coach or someone who has never been a head coach again it's going to take years to turn things around. What Florida needs right now is a STAR who everybody in America will recognize and athletics will start saying, "hey I can play for that guy, let's look at Florida again". The revolving door needs to stop if the program is going to turn around or we will be talking about this again in three years if not sooner.

Didn't Strong accuse the entire UF administration of being racist when he didn't get the job in the first place?

Originally posted by Dan in Daytona:
Pop, $6,000,000 buyout (2mil each yr.'15,'16,'17)
I suppose he would forfeit the buyout if he went back into coaching, and who is going to pay a DC $2M?

Auburn maybe, but then they have to pay Ellis Johnson, too. Carolina? Don't know if they have that kind of money.

Freeze to UF? Can't see that happening. That's his home.

Miami and Florida both hired inexperienced Head Coaches after the guy who won them National titles moved on. People were wondering how it would work out for FSU hiring a guy who was groomed. The last few years show; having what you know is better than hoping what you don't know is going to develop.

What about David Cutcliffe? I bet he would love to come back to the SEC and the volume of 5-star talent he in his own back yard in Florida. He's done very well at Duke.

There is no way John Gruden would even come close to winning in college. Even though he did build Oakland he just wouldn't cut it at UF. Also, he wouldn't want to leave his cushy job where he is at now.

I think Foley will go after a CURRENT head coach that has been a HC for awhile now and he will go after an offensive guru.

Lets be realistic folks. Most of these guys are not leaving their current HC jobs for UF and deal with the pressure of UF and the SEC for any amount of money. Take less money and don't have to worry about expectations of winning the SEC and or a National title ever 3 years ummm yeah.

Guys that I think are in serious consideration though are Doc Holiday and Jim Mclewain. Current HC's on successful lower teir teams with ties to UF and the SEC and also offensive minded guys.

It will be one of those 2 unless they are able to pull someone away big for a splash hire.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/14/report-cops-went-easy-on-star-fsu-cb-over-hit-and-run/

Lord Have Mercy, Cutcliffe at UF would be like giving a baby a gun. As a FSU guy I really hope they don't get him or Jim Harbough. Art Briles at Baylor would be a good hire. But I'm sure Foley will hire a jabroni idiot for the job.

Watching and listening to Foley makes it pretty clear that his tenure at UF should end when Muschamp's does.

Colorado State's Jim McElwain? I never even heard his name in the mix.

Quick work!

He is a really good coach. Definitely more of a program guy then an offensive or defensive genius. Florida will rebuild quick.

The offense will be much, much better, and Offensive coaches always make better HCs. He's a huge step up from the Muscrat

Do you think he will retain any assistants or bring in his own? I would hate to sacrifice defense to get someone who can run an offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT