ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee over Lake Minneola 46-27

JonMHS

Aug 21, 2001
Looks like Cal Preps need to stick with predicting California prep games only!!!
Very good win against a very talented Lake Minneola squad. Defense played much better in the second half holding Minneola to 6 second half points. Next up home against (0-1) Sarasota next week.

Reactions: MarkECannon
370558965_10223705255006159_7226492905979611980_n.jpg

This weeks image from the game. Pretty good Manatee crowd considering the distance from Bradenton!

Lake Minneola spotted Manatee a 17-0 1st Quarter lead, via a Pic six and a by putting the ball on the ground a couple of times..... putting Manatee in excellent scoring position each time.

2nd QT however was a completely different story. Manatee had no answer on offense for the defensive pressure from Lake Minneola, and Lake Minneola's fast paced offense founds its grove.....(with some extra help from the officials), to come roaring back to take a 21-17 lead. Manatee however despite the clock operator doing his best to run time off the clock during Manatee's final series before half, was setting up to kick a FG with .06 left on the clock to go into half only trailing 21-20.

3rd QT Manatee took the kickoff and took a 27-20 lead. At this point I felt the Lake Minneola head coach made some decisions, that gave off to me at least a air of desperation and nothing really worked out in a positive way for his Lake Minneola team. Soon Manatee was up 34-20 as the Manatee OL started holding its own, the Manatee QB seemed to start understanding what to do with the ball when the Lake Minneola defense dropped its safeties back into coverage versus when they stacked the box. Although I will add it was apparent what the Lake Minneola defensive staff had instructed its DB's to do when Manatee went deep.........mainly drag the Manatee WR down and just take the penalty. There were at least 3-4 times that happened.

Lake Minneola did manage to put another TD on the board to make it 34-27. Manatee would come back however to score again to make it 40-27 and then add another TD on a run up the middle with about minute or less left in the game to make it 46-27.

Some final thoughts.....This was a game that just as easily could have gone Lake Minneola's way, except for few plays going against them. The fast paced passing attacked employed by Lake Minneola completely neutralized the Manatee DL pressure, and subsequently put alot of pressure on the Manatee DB's. If I were to grade the Manatee DBs on the whole this game, I'd give them a "A"!. Word must be spreading about Manatee's speed as the last 2 weeks, no one has kicked deep to Manatee. Was another game at least 3 starters didn't play and other 2 others starters saw minimal playing time due to lingering injuries,

gatorman001, went to Lake Minneola to see them play St Augustine for a 2020 State Semifinal. It was an incredible game. After playing, if I remember correctly, in 3 OT’s Lake Minneola prevailed . Pretty cool atmosphere and nice stadium. Saw them the next week in the State Final at Doak Campbell having to play Miami Central. Spoke to some Lake Minneola fans before that game. They knew close to nothing about the Rockets. Of course Miami Central shellacked them.

My intent was to sit on the Lake Minneola side of the stadium, because there was way more seating available on the home side versus the visitors side. Would have allowed me to talk to some of the Minneola fans at that point, but once the folks at the gate realized I was a Manatee fan, they insisted I seat on the visitor side. Seating at this stadium doesn't allow for you walk to one side or the other as its gated to prevent you from doing that. The area surrounding the school appeared newer as well as up-scale. Seating isn't raised and the field is surrounded by a track, so it doesn't really allow for a good over-all field view, and then with the track makes you rather removed from the field.

Where we ended sitting allowed me to meet and chat with some of the parents and relatives of some of the Manatee players............they all had a great understanding of the game, as well as provided me some insights about players and the team, I wouldn't have known otherwise..............so it was a good time!

To me there are still some personnel issues here and there. most seemed to feel once #5 Demontez McDowell returns to action, the LB play will improve significantly. I asked who is the backup QB, because the roster doesn't list one and I was told #11 Elijah Perry..(is currently playing defense as a LB), so I thought that was interesting..... Perry delivered a number of big time hits against Minneola as well as last week against IMG!

Last edited:
Good win for the Canes! Lake Minneola is going to win a lot of games this year! As for the stadium I thought it was average. I agree the seating was not great and the PA announcer was terrible! You get spoiled when you have a beautiful stadium like Manatee has!
Defense will get better as year goes on. And yes not having your top LB and probably your second best DT Alvoid Kennon out doesn't help. They both still are a few weeks from being back. This defense is very talented and has some depth and will be fine until they return. Manatee's next three games are at home starting with Sarasota this Friday. I see them being (4-0) when they hit the road next against Port Charlotte. Go Canes!

and the PA announcer was terrible!
The current Manatee PA guy is no Jim Fossel (sp?) either, and since you mentioned the Lake Minneola PA announcer.......I mentioned to my wife Friday night during the game, that the Lake Minneola PA guy must have went to the same PA announcing school as the Manatee PA guy in as far as style and manner he called the game, in addition to having having apparent vision issues as the Lake Minneola PA guy regularly made huge ball placement as well as down and distance errors with his calls. Had no affect ultimately on the outcome of the game, so I just looked at it as it was what it was. My concern was that the officials were keeping that all straight.....

There were a few instances where ball placement wasn't the best, and I thought they perhaps were allowing a bit too much grabbing holding of Manatee defensive players, as there seemed to a bit more than usual torn jerseys issues with the Manatee DL? All in All I thought the game was called about as well as could be expected......except for the 2 instances I will mention below.

I didn't want to say too much, as it will only lead to Janbun making one of his appearances to virtue signal on behalf all referees aboard. During Manatee's last drive before halftime. Manatee was attempting to conserve time to allow for Manatee to get into a potential scoring opportunity. There were at least 3-4 instances once the clock got down to less than 2 minutes, where the clock operator would allow the clock to continue to run for an additional 2-4 seconds after the play was dead. It surprised me Jaquez didn't it bring it to officials attention after it happen the second time during that drive, as it ultimately led to Manatee kicking the FG as opposed to getting a couple more cracks at getting a potential TD?

The officials also bent over backwards to assist with Lake Minneola fast break offense, as they allowed the snap numerous times despite the folks with sticks and down markers not being in place, as well as with the ball rotation Lake Minneola employed, there were many instances where the ball used from the prior play was still in the process of being removed from the field when the official allowed Lake Minneola to snap the ball for the next play anyway.......one play the ball from the previous play was still in the middle of the field, when the official allowed for the ball to be snapped

Last edited:
The current Manatee PA guy is no Jim Fossel (sp?) either, and since you mentioned the Lake Minneola PA announcer.......I mentioned to my wife Friday night during the game, that the Lake Minneola PA guy must have went to the same PA announcing school as the Manatee PA guy in as far as style and manner he called the game, in addition to having having apparent vision issues as the Lake Minneola PA guy regularly made huge ball placement as well as down and distance errors with his calls. Had no affect ultimately on the outcome of the game, so I just looked at it as it was what it was. My concern was that the officials were keeping that all straight.....

There were a few instances where ball placement wasn't the best, and I thought they perhaps were allowing a bit too much grabbing holding of Manatee defensive players, as there seemed to a bit more than usual torn jerseys issues with the Manatee DL? All in All I thought the game was called about as well as could be expected......except for the 2 instances I will mention below.

I didn't want to say too much, as it will only lead to Janbun making one of his appearances to virtue signal on behalf all referees aboard. During Manatee's last drive before halftime. Manatee was attempting to conserve time to allow for Manatee to get into a potential scoring opportunity. There were at least 3-4 instances once the clock got down to less than 2 minutes, where the clock operator would allow the clock to continue to run for an additional 2-4 seconds after the play was dead. It surprised me Jaquez didn't it bring it to officials attention after it happen the second time during that drive, as it ultimately led to Manatee kicking the FG as opposed to getting a couple more cracks at getting a potential TD?

The officials also bent over backwards to assist with Lake Minneola fast break offense, as they allowed the snap numerous times despite the folks with sticks and down markers not being in place, as well as with the ball rotation Lake Minneola employed, there were many instances where the ball used from the prior play was still in the process of being removed from the field when the official allowed Lake Minneola to snap the ball for the next play anyway.......one play the ball from the previous play was still in the middle of the field, when the official allowed for the ball to be snapped
Que jambun

And Action!

Manatee’s PA is Carl Reynolds. He is a lawyer in town…..Don’t care for his humor and Pop Warner style nicknames for the players!

Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT