ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee Hurricanes vs Apopka Blue Darters

DarterBlue2

Aug 2, 2003
It has been twenty years since the last time these two met in 1994. The 1994 meeting concluded back to back to back meetings of the two teams in the playoffs. This stretch was the only time that Apopka and Manatee have met each other even though both schools have been around a very long time and are really not that far from each other. Manatee holds a 3-0 lead in the series winning two of those games by a couple of scores and the third by a single point. Manatee went on the win a state title after the first meeting, lose in the championship game after the second, and get beaten in the semi-final the third time.

I am curious to know what the board's thoughts are on this match-up. Sadly, I am most likely going to miss this game as I will be out of the county unless I can find a way to wheedle out of a prior commitment.

Saw all of the 3 previous meetings live, but will have to watch this 4th meeting via streaming online. I watched what Apopka did to Plant last year, and it really surprised me! Despite the records I really feel Manatee comes into this game an underdog, which was how I felt coming into the very 1st Meeting in 1992. The week prior a Jeremy Rudolph lead Apopka team destroyed a pretty good Sarasota High team, while Manatee churned out a victory over Dixie Hollins. Manatee had a prolific offense that year lead by Willie Taggert, Shevin Wiggins and Chris Hill in the backfield and got way out front of Apopka before Rudolph was able to get the Apopka offense on track. Manatee lacks that type of offense this year, but is a bit better on defense than that 1992 defense. Like I said earlier I believe Manatee comes into the game, not wanting a high scoring affair. If Apopka marches up and down the field, I don't believe Manatee has the offense to keep up. Like this past week just wanting a competitive 4 quarters of football.

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/30 6:03 PM by gatorman001

I attended at least two of the previous three games, one at Manatee when Apopka was favored and the other at Apopka that Manatee won in overtime if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if I saw the third. I sense a close game similar to last week. Could be determined by a turnover or a big play or two. Should be a very exciting game between two consistently great teams.

I think Manatee has the defense to control the Apopka attack. Nobody is going to shut them down, but Manatee will get enough stops to give themselves a chance to win. Apopka gave up a lot of yards through the air, but Manatee does not have the aerial attack that First Coast does. Turnovers will be the name of the game. Manatee is outstanding on special teams. That will probably come into play as well. I'm just proud that Manatee has made it this far. Manatee should be favored, but Apopka is a good football team and I expect a dog fight. Hoping for a well played, injury free game. May the best team win.

This is a fabulous match up of two long time football powers. Being that Apopka is the host that should give them the edge. Chandler Cox is a great ball player. He'll be the difference maker

Manatee county will be all up in there. I'll be there with the Old School crew, Faron Hornes and Tee. We coming deep.Gatorman this year's D is not better than 92's.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that game went to overtime. If I remember right I think Apopka needed to hit a 40+ yd fg in the last seconds of the game to send it to OT which they missed. I could be wrong it has been like 20 years ago.

If it hadn't been for Gulash transferring in and then becoming eligible, Manatee was really average at best on the DL in 92. I'd say the LB crew was a great talented group, DB's a good group that played collectively well together in 92. Not taking anything away from the 92 defense, Manatee clearly was the best that year in the states largest classification. It was however the Manatee offense that made it a great team! Manatee doesn't have that kind of offense this year and will have to rely on its defense to give Manatee a chance at advancing to the finals in 2014.

Go Canes Go!

Originally posted by Dan in Daytona:
This is a fabulous match up of two long time football powers. Being that Apopka is the host that should give them the edge. Chandler Cox is a great ball player. He'll be the difference maker
He's one of my favorite players in the state this year. I wish the Noles were going after him. I think he would be great in our offense.

Originally posted by BigGatorMike51:

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that game went to overtime. If I remember right I think Apopka needed to hit a 40+ yd fg in the last seconds of the game to send it to OT which they missed. I could be wrong it has been like 20 years ago.
You are right. I think it was from 37 yards.

Originally posted by jgking83:
He's one of my favorite players in the state this year. I wish the Noles were going after him. I think he would be great in our offense.
FSU offered; Cox did not show much interest; and you did not pursue. He is a hell of a ballplayer. Very difficult to bring down and very versatile.

That year they had Justin Stephens and Chris Smith as linebackers and they were a wrecking crew together. They got plenty of recognition at the time as very solid linebackers. Justin Stephens used to hit kids so hard. He absolutely leveled some kid on the Orange Park team. One of the hardest hits I've ever seen in HS football if not the hardest.

Originally posted by DarterBlue2:

FSU offered; Cox did not show much interest; and you did not pursue. He is a hell of a ballplayer. Very difficult to bring down and very versatile.
I wish he would've shown interesting because he could've been great in the FB HB role but he will do well in Auburns offense as well.

I hope you will be able to make this one Darter I guess you really weren't thinking Apopka was going to make a run like this or I am sure you wouldn't have signed up for something LOL.

For the Manatee folks you probably already know this but GET THERE EARLY. Apopka fans will come in droves and the away side at Apopka is not very big.

What did they offer women? Shoulda offered crab legs..........Sorry, couldn't resist.

jgking,he (Cox) also was a dominating defensive player. He had a big time championship game as a sophomore. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays on that side of the ball at the next level.

Originally posted by peezy28:

I wish he would've shown interesting because he could've been great in the FB HB role but he will do well in Auburns offense as well.

I hope you will be able to make this one Darter I guess you really weren't thinking Apopka was going to make a run like this or I am sure you wouldn't have signed up for something LOL.

For the Manatee folks you probably already know this but GET THERE EARLY. Apopka fans will come in droves and the away side at Apopka is not very big.
EC, it's a family reunion on wife's side. I also had no idea APK would get this far.

jgking,he (Cox) also was a dominating defensive player. He had a big time championship game as a sophomore. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays on that side of the ball at the next level.
For sure. I just think he is an excellent football player. I love the way he plays the game. I think he would fill the Lonnie Pryor roll on FSU's offense perfectly. I could definitely see him play LB at a high level too. Looking forward to this match up. It has been a long time coming. I thought we might get to see this game last year, but the Canes weren't up to the challenge.

I can't believe I felt bad for 6-4 Apopka.............
laugh.r191677.gif

Losses:
Oak Ridge - led 28-13 late, FSU commit Nyqwan Murray with 2 late TDs
American Heritage Plantation - close game, AHP should win title
West Orange - AVENGED 42-0.
Edgewater - Edgewater lost by 2 to Mainland and peaked when APK did.

This could be a 13-0 team, bottom line.

This should be an excellent game. Full breakdown coming soon...

This post was edited on 12/2 4:58 PM by Pipe Dreams

Originally posted by Pipe Dreams:
I can't believe I felt bad for 6-4 Apopka.............
laugh.r191677.gif

Losses:
Oak Ridge - led 28-13 late, FSU commit Nyqwan Murray with 2 late TDs
American Heritage Plantation - close game, AHP should win title
West Orange - AVENGED 42-0.
Edgewater - Edgewater lost by 2 to Mainland and peaked when APK did.

This could be a 13-0 team, bottom line.

This should be an excellent game. Full breakdown coming soon...

This post was edited on 12/2 4:58 PM by Pipe Dreams
You probably provided some press clippings.

Found this link of the highlights from the Apopka/First Coast game last week. Great video.
That was the 2013 game. See the 2014 link here.
Thanks Darter. There are a bunch of great videos in that link.

Manatee eliminated Apopka in the playoffs

1992 (5A) 38-24
1993 (5A) 31-13
1994 (6A) 35-34

The 1994 game was not won in overtime.

twc2499, would you like to talk about Joe throwing the ball and scoring TD's with less than 2 minutes left in the 1993 game, when the game was obvioulsly already won?

The 1994 game if not for a personal foul call on the Manatee reciever doing what i believe was the "Ice Tea Plunge" into the endzone.........would have been over for all intent and purposes.........that was a truly exciting game

Manatee won the 1st game in 92 at hawkins stadium, the 93 & 94 games were played at Apopka

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman, there was some ill feelings I think between Joe Kinnan and Apopka coach Don "Chip" Gierke that season but not sure? Joe has done somethings through the years that I didn't agree with but usually he had his reasons!

I do remember that. Then they awarded Apopka the ball when they recovered an onside kick which was touch before it went 10 yards. That setup Apopka's game winning FG attempt which they missed. Crazy game!!

Canes went on to win the 1992 5A State Championship and in 1993 lost in the finals to Southridge.

All of them were physical ballgames and this Friday will be the same!

I am really worried about Apopka's offense! Defensively the Canes better come ready to play!

Go Canes!

The game will come down to the Manatee defense and its ability to at least slow Apopka down on offense for sure. I watched the First Coast game Sunday morning and they had no answer to stopping Apopka. Most plays amounted to Apopka just simply putting more people at the point of attack than First Coast. The weakside OT always pulled on the wide running plays.....so beyond just the fact the tackle was getting out there to lead, thats an awful lot of wide bodies running interference for the ball carrier on those plays. What causes me so much concern was Manatee's inability to stop Dr Phillips in the second half when they went smash mouth with numbers, Apopka of course has all the misdirection but in princple they pretty much will being doing what Dr Phillips did in the second half last week........scary scray thought if the defense cant slow it down because the Manatee Offense isnt a trading TD's type offense.

Go Canes Go!

twc, that's called Karma. I know Joe is a legend in Manatee, but he doesn't have a very good reputation with a lot of other coaches. And it goes a little beyond him running one of the area's most successful programs.

I'd heard some things before this happened, but he had absolutely no reason not to shake hands with our staff after we won that epic game in '08 at Manatee. Both teams played their butts off in what the NBC 2 anchorman said was the best football game he's seen at any level, and that kind of diminished it. Great talented coach, but on that night didn't exhibit the sportsmanship or class that his players and even some of their parents showed afterwards.

Yeah, I can see some coaches not caring for him! Mainly these bad feeling and frustrations are due to years of getting their butt kicked! Listen, Joe was not the most personable person or was he a rah rah guy. Did he come across arrogant, cocky at time, maybe so! Call that classless, unsportsmanlike or whatever! Joe was old school all the way. From under center to the shotgun formation, to his fast break offense Joe always was ahead of the game. So for maybe that one Friday night when he did or didn't shake a hand or he shoved the football down your throat as the clock expired Joe always had his reasons for doing it. All coaches have done it at one point! So like it or not that's how it was with Joe! Great coach, and great person!

Go Canes!

DP essentially ran a version of the Apopka offense in the second half against Manatee. You hit that on the head.

When Isom or Hogan would go into the wildcat I called it our Apopka formation (even though it was a completely different offense)...

Same concept though, get a bunch of guys to run in different directions in the backfield and by the time the defense knows who has the balls he's 40 yards downfield.
This post was edited on 12/4 3:25 PM by Pipe Dreams

I think we're looking at a shootout Friday night. Whoever has the ball last wins type of deal. How good is Apopka's kicker?

This is just my opinion but I think it all comes down to which Apopka shows up. I think Apopka has the more talented team and no way Manatee beats them on their best day, however Manatee has played pretty mistake free ball this year and Apopka has had some error prone games.

I think if Manatee plays it's usual solid game and Apopka makes a couple of mistakes Manatee wins. I agree it should be a high scoring affair but sometimes these potent offenses play to a 14-7 game so who knows. I think I have covered all the bases so no mater how it turns out I can say "see I was right".

I'll be watching the stream. Can't wait, should be a great game, I just hope the refs let them play and don't get too involved in the game. I think the winner of this game has an excellent shot at the title. Not to say the lower bracket isn't capable of winning, I just think the North bracket is tougher this year. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I would like to see Lang get free a couple of times to make it interesting. There's nothing better than watching him weave his way through a crowd and popping out the other side. He's less than 200 yards from Manatee's single season rushing record if Manatee wins he could break it in the final.

This is just my opinion but I think it all comes down to which Apopka shows up. I think Apopka has the more talented team and no way Manatee beats them on their best day, however Manatee has played pretty mistake free ball this year and Apopka has had some error prone games.

I think if Manatee plays it's usual solid game and Apopka makes a couple of mistakes Manatee wins. I agree it should be a high scoring affair but sometimes these potent offenses play to a 14-7 game so who knows. I think I have covered all the bases so no mater how it turns out I can say "see I was right".
Mike, I tend to agree with your analysis. I would not say categorically that Apopka is the more talented team. I would say that the Apopka that beat WO in the rematch would pose a very steep challenge for any team in 8a,including Manatee. However, the Apopka that lost to Edgewater or Oak Ridge would lose to Manatee too. I also would not be shocked if the game is low scoring. Against American Heritage I remember thinking that if APK wanted to win, it would have to do so in a shootout given AH's offensive talent. At the half it was 10-7. So who knows? May the team that wants it more win tomorrow night!

This post was edited on 12/5 2:38 AM by DarterBlue2

Originally posted by FLHSFootballFan:

I'll be watching the stream. Can't wait, should be a great game, I just hope the refs let them play and don't get too involved in the game. I think the winner of this game has an excellent shot at the title. Not to say the lower bracket isn't capable of winning, I just think the North bracket is tougher this year. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I would like to see Lang get free a couple of times to make it interesting. There's nothing better than watching him weave his way through a crowd and popping out the other side. He's less than 200 yards from Manatee's single season rushing record if Manatee wins he could break it in the final.
I would not underestimate Flanagan, Ryan Stanley, although overlooked by recruiters, has a stable of good receivers and seems to me, at least on film, to be the real deal despite an unorthodox throwing motion. In some respects, he reminds me of Rick's son, Zack Darlington. The state title game will be a challenge for either Apopka or Manatee, not insurmountable, but a challenge..

I'll be at the game representing Manatee. I live just 5 miles from Apopka but grew up in Bradenton and went to Manatee. I too get the video streams of the Manatee games but will watch this one live. It is great that I have close ties to all 3 8A powers in the region, I went to Manatee, live near Apopka and my Dad went to Plant. Makes football playoffs interesting most every season.

I'll be at the game representing Manatee. I live just 5 miles from Apopka but grew up in Bradenton and went to Manatee. I too get the video streams of the Manatee games but will watch this one live. It is great that I have close ties to all 3 8A powers in the region, I went to Manatee, live near Apopka and my Dad went to Plant. Makes football playoffs interesting most every season.
I went to last week's game at Dr. Phillips but the stands are smaller at Apopka and seating will be a bit tricky. I figure watch this one on stream and if they win then travel again to the final. I just didn't want to make 3 trips to Orlando in a row possibly.

If you remember I'm the one whose brother went to school with you at Manatee and graduated the same year. Have a great time at the game and make some noise, pump 'em up, GO CANES!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT