ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee at Venice

I knew it would be a dog fight and the game would be close either way. Venice is a good team that may only go to the 2nd round being that they may have to play Armwood. Manatee's freshman team was awful. I can see Manatee being a 7-3 regular season record type of team within the next 3 years.

Originally posted by gatorman001:

fla331boy said: "I will say that this team (Manatee) has really surprised me as I didn't see them being anywhere close" to 8-1.

1.) Probably more revealing of what you really know about the Manatee football program.

Coach Booth has been blessed to have retained the staff that he has and that's the main reason I made the statement. Like another person stated, let's see what happens to the program in the next couple of years. Joe came in and turned around our program that was joke during the Howie D years. Not quite sure Booth has what it takes to get it done here at Manatee. I would bet you see many more kids leaving to IMG which will be very sad. I hope not and have always been a big supporter of Manatee and hope we can make a deep run but I think the offense is too limited and simple to beat some of the North Teams.

fla331boy said: "Manatee isn't very deep"

Beyond the LB & obviously QB positions do tell about the precieved lack of depth, as injured starters missed games through out the season and were replaced by 2nd string players and played well? Bout the only thing you could say about this Manatee team as a vulnerbility is its over-all youth on both the OL and DL and its suspect QB play.

Maybe I should have stated "depth" in the terms of experience of the non-starters. You would be correct that youth could turn out to be the difference in the payoffs.

Venice wants this game...................BAD! Manatee has got to come out ready to match the intensity, what Booth decides to do beyond the 1st half is anyone guess if the score remain close going into halftime?

I understand that this game is a big game but I would have felt much better with not having to worry about any possible injuries especially running Lang out of the wildcat like he has done so much this year.

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/6 4:41 PM by gatorman001

Originally posted by goldfd:
So you're telling me no matter what the score is they should pull the starters for the second half, what kind of message does that show? That we should just give up and winning this rivalry game isn't important. Great message right before playoffs, might as well not even this game or next week
LOL no one mentioned anything about next week. Yes, I understand the rivalry but I don't believe that this game should be that important our team personally. Has no effect on the playoffs and making sure we remain healthy would be my main concern. If this game was played earlier in the year, then yes, play as you normally would. With the brackets set, I would have rested players and gave some second and third guys some "big game" experience.

Bloomingdale has lost only one game this season that being against Plant HS............I believe if Booth is given 1/2 a chance..... that Manatee will be just fine!

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/7 11:09 AM by gatorman001
What does that have to do with a Manatee led Booth team? He went 4-19 in Valrico and Coach Surcy comes in to lead a 1 loss squad into the playoffs and Booth gets credit for that record?!?!?!?!

Please explain because if that's your logic, then I guess Joe is to blame when we stepped down and Howie D went 25-19 without reaching the Semis even once......Hmmmmmm

This post was edited on 11/12 3:52 PM by fla331boy

Originally posted by fla331boy:

Bloomingdale has lost only one game this season that being against Plant HS............I believe if Booth is given 1/2 a chance..... that Manatee will be just fine!

Go Canes Go!

This post was edited on 11/7 11:09 AM by gatorman001
What does that have to do with a Manatee led Booth team? He went 4-19 in Valrico and Coach Surcy comes in to lead a 1 loss squad into the playoffs and Booth gets credit for that record?!?!?!?!

Please explain because if that's your logic, then I guess Joe is to blame when we stepped down and Howie D went 25-19 without reaching the Semis even once......Hmmmmmm

This post was edited on 11/12 3:52 PM by fla331boy
Bloomingdale got better every year under Booth and he built the program up so that it can sustain over a long period. I'm sure the new coach is very good as well, but Booth definitely gets a little credit for where that program is right now. The new coach would tell you the same thing. Booth will continue to have Manatee playing at a high level for years to come. If the freshman team is bad again next year, you may have a point. I don't expect that to be the case. There is a lot of young talent in the Bradenton area and Manatee will never lack for skill position players.

jgking, I agree with what you said about Booth building the program but coaching a team to wins is different.

Please don't think that I'm not a fan or Booth or the program but he has some very big shoes to fill and he must maintain the level of the program to stick around.

I'm a Manatee Alum and fellow graduate with the Booth brothers and hope they keep the program near the top in the state. He's got a good defense but is going to have to start to put some points on the board as there are some good teams this year that can score points.

I'll be there Friday night and hope to walk out of there with a win.

If booth gets credit for bloomingdales succes this year then kinnan gets credit for manatee's success, right?

jgking, I agree with what you said about Booth building the program but coaching a team to wins is different.

Please don't think that I'm not a fan or Booth or the program but he has some very big shoes to fill and he must maintain the level of the program to stick around.

I'm a Manatee Alum and fellow graduate with the Booth brothers and hope they keep the program near the top in the state. He's got a good defense but is going to have to start to put some points on the board as there are some good teams this year that can score points.

I graduated a year after Booth. We probably know each other. Wish I could make it to the game.

Originally posted by goldfd:
If booth gets credit for bloomingdales succes this year then kinnan gets credit for manatee's success, right?
^^ That's my point. I mean Joe didn't really leave Howie with much of a team and Howie failed. Joe comes back and take our Canes to the Semis against STA in the first year back with only a couple of players at the same position Howie had them at. So do we give Howie that success then?

SMH

Originally posted by jgking83:

I graduated a year after Booth. We probably know each other. Wish I could make it to the game.
It's a very good possibility and it's nice to be home to enjoy great football.

Before howie got there manatee made it to the 3rd round and eventually lost to the state champs, kinnan left a great team for howie. Then Howies last year manatee had a losing record and didn't make the playoffs, so no Howie doesn't get credit that was all kinnan for the success the next year. the year before booth got there manatee was 11-1 district champs and the year before they were number 1 in the nation for alittle bit so kinnan does get credit for this season. I have no problem with giving booth credit for Bloomingdales success I'm just saying kinnan gets a lot of the credit though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT