ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee at Venice

jgking83

Jun 4, 2007
(8-1) Manatee visits (9-0) Venice to close out the regular season. This game has no influence on the playoffs. A few people on this board have already said they expect Manatee to win comfortably. I'm not as confident as they are. Should be a good game.

What are the thoughts of those closer to the programs? How is the Venice QB coming along? Are the teams healthy?

Predictions?

For some reason playing and beating Manatee means an awful lot to Peacock and that's filtered down to his Venice High football team. Venice brings a blue collar mentality in their approach to every game whether it be their skilled position players or its players that line up n the line of scrimmage. I wonder if coach Booth gets all that, in that he's not really been a direct part of the Manatee program the last 10 years while this rivalry grew to what it has become today? Venice is going to bring a high level of emotion to this game and Manatee has to be prepared to match that intensity.

Venice touts the senior leadership of its Offensive and Defensive lines! The reality however is that Manatee has already seen equal and/or better over all talent from a number of teams, so I just don't see that being something that intimidates Manatee at all. This game will come down to 2 things for Manatee........intensity and execution...........Manatee comes into this game with the right intensity and executes its game plan properly...........Manatee wins, its just that simple because Manatee over-all is the better team.

Go Canes Go!

We had 8 turovers against Venice and were still in the game at half - a Trey Burton team probably would have hung 50 on us that first half where we gave them the ball. But Venice also had some turnovers and played sloppy in the 2nd qtr.

Manatee's talent seems to be on cruise control breezing through the season after that loss. But, Venice is always well coached, has a beast #55 on the D-line and some other sound linemen. I think if they play at the level they're capable of they have a chance.

And of course they get up for Manatee, who wouldn't around here?

I think the intensity of the rivalry, as mentioned, may allow Venice to get up early on the Canes. The difficult part is keeping that lead when Manatee comes alive as we saw a solid St Pete team lose a 15 point lead and go on to lose by 3 td's. I believe Venice would have much trouble with St Pete.

Sloan's passing game is coming along nicely to compliment Johnny Lang in the backfield. Sloan is very accurate and has a good arm.

Venice will be pumped but the Canes have a beast as well on the D line too in Kwanzi Jackson (at least 18 sacks) who will probably rattle the young QB from Venice. If he gets in his head the passing game goes out the window as long as Kwanzi is healthy. Going to be a great game. I plan on attending as usual.

This will make a nice warm up for the playoffs for both teams as long as they don't beat each other up too much in the process.

All I know is Venice beat a bad Largo team 5-3... I think Manatee would probably put the running clock on Largo this year.

Peezy28:
All I know is Venice beat a bad Largo team 5-3... I think Manatee would probably put the running clock on Largo this year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True. Largo held Venice to 5 yet let a 1-8 Dixie Hollins team score 41 on them.

5-3 looks like a baseball score. That's one you don't see often.

This post was edited on 11/2 11:15 PM by FLHSFootballFan

This post was edited on 11/2 11:16 PM by FLHSFootballFan

Peacock does a great job of coaching his kids! He gets everything they have out of them. So he will have them prepared! Manatee is very athletic and that could cause some problems! Venice has not played anybody that possess the skill set and the physicality that Manatee will bring to the table. You can be fundamentally sound in you scheme but that doesn't help when guys are just running around and passed you!

I believe this game is more important to Venice than it is to Manatee. Venice has circled this game on their schedule since the beginning of the year. Manatee is the measuring stick. Beat them and you can be mentioned in the same breath as them. Manatee will use this game as a playoff game mentality. They usually game plan their last game as the start of the playoffs Should be a good ball game. Look forward to it!

Manatee just has to many (Johnnie Lang) weapons!

Manatee-35 Venice-17!

This post was edited on 11/3 2:50 PM by twc2499

Originally posted by twc2499:
Peacock does a great job of coaching his kids! He gets everything they have out of them. So he will have them prepared! Manatee is very athletic and that could cause some problems! Venice has not played anybody that possess the skill set and the physicality that Manatee will bring to the table. You can be fundamentally sound in you scheme but that doesn't help when guys are just running around and passed you!

I believe this game is more important to Venice than it is to Manatee. Venice has circled this game on their schedule since the beginning of the year. Manatee is the measuring stick. Beat them and you can be mentioned in the same breath as them. Manatee will use this game as a playoff game mentality. They usually game plan their last game as the start of the playoffs Should be a good ball game. Look forward to it!

Manatee just has to many (Johnnie Lang) weapons!

Manatee-35 Venice-17!

This post was edited on 11/3 2:50 PM by twc2499
Part of the reason they were so fired up was the moving of the game to the end of the season from week two. That was Kinnan's scheduling, I wonder if they can maintain the soreness now that he is no longer coaching. I'm sure they can still get up as it's been a pretty hot rivalry, but that was a aggravating factor in the Spring.

I agree with Manatee by 2 TD's or more.

Looking beyond the record of FPC, Cobra do feel FPC has improved significantly enough to be viable beyond the 1st round of the playoffs?

Go Canes Go!

Guess we'll burn that bridge when we get there bud! Not focusing on that, still a week of regular season left. Can't get too focused on looking ahead. One week at a time. Good luck this week.

If I were CJB, I would play my starters for the first half and sit them the rest of the game. Manatee isn't very deep and honestly staying healthy for the playoffs is more important to me. Let Venice play their starters all game. Win or loose, get out and ready for next week healthy and ready to make a deep run.

I will say that this team (Manatee) has really surprised me as I didn't see them being anywhere close to 8-1.

fla331boy said: "I will say that this team (Manatee) has really surprised me as I didn't see them being anywhere close" to 8-1.

1.) Probably more revealing of what you really know about the Manatee football program.

fla331boy said: "Manatee isn't very deep"

Beyond the LB & obviously QB positions do tell about the precieved lack of depth, as injured starters missed games through out the season and were replaced by 2nd string players and played well? Bout the only thing you could say about this Manatee team as a vulnerbility is its over-all youth on both the OL and DL and its suspect QB play.

Venice wants this game...................BAD! Manatee has got to come out ready to match the intensity, what Booth decides to do beyond the 1st half is anyone guess if the score remain close going into halftime?

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/6 4:41 PM by gatorman001

I was impressed last week when in the 4th quarter Palm Harbor went for it on fourth and short. Manatee's D was all or very nearly all 2nd string and stopped them. Granted it was Palm Harbor but it was a yard or less against the second string.

So you're telling me no matter what the score is they should pull the starters for the second half, what kind of message does that show? That we should just give up and winning this rivalry game isn't important. Great message right before playoffs, might as well not even this game or next week

The Bradenton paper is predicting Manatee to win by 3. That kind of tight score is much more realistic than predicting one of the teams to win by 42 points, like the Sarasota paper did. Given the history of these two teams, that's just ridiculous.

This post was edited on 11/7 8:39 AM by MustangMom

There's no way on earth Venice will win by 42. What that reported did was take away any chance Venice had of beating Manatee. Now Manatee is going to be jacked up to the max. I smell a clear cut win here for the Canes.

Not if they come with the attitude of not playing their starters the whole game

It just shows you how much the sports reporters for the Herald Tribune know about football. That Dennis guy is a complete moron. Can they not find a better sports reporter in our area other than this clow? He needs to stick with swimming and soccer.

Originally posted by goldfd:
Not if they come with the attitude of not playing their starters the whole game
Booth's still trying to earn the job security. Losing to Venice by pulling the starters will have the few remaining boosters calling for his head. That would be a stupid move on his part.

Manatee has won the last 7 and in 2009 Venice won the regular season game but didn't make it to the potential rematch in the playoffs. Manatee went on to shock the #1 Nationally STA team and on to the State title game, losing a close game to Plant with that Beast James Wilder,Jr. I saw him run at least 5 yards with 5 or so Canes hanging all over him.

Joe also had 240-250 wins and 4 state titles up to the point, so he can afford to lose 3 games in a row to venice.

Very very true, but you have to give it to him, he has done a pretty good job this year regardless of what happens from here. I think we will all see what kind of coach he is in 4 years from now when Joe is long gone and he is coaching kids that came up through his program.

A pretty good indication of his ability to build of program is the one he left behind when he accepted the Manatee job. Bloomingdale has lost only one game this season that being against Plant HS............I believe if Booth is given 1/2 a chance..... that Manatee will be just fine!

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/7 11:09 AM by gatorman001

I agree. Give him a chance and he will do fine. He is kind of playing with Joes guys this year. But, I'm sure he will do great. State championship great I doubt it, but he will have the Canes competitive every year.

twc2499 said:
"Booth has really kind of let his coaching staff coach! He has not been involved with either side of the ball like Joe was. One thing is clear, Manatee is not the football they are now if John didn't have this veteran staff he has! I don't think coach Booth eats, drinks and sleeps football like Kinnan did! So the jury is still out on him. When you have a program like Manatee has you don't really have to fix what's not broken. Only time will tell."

Isnt the 1st time Joe had to step away from the program, yet the last time Joe stepped away (and he left a very vetearn club behind in 2001), things fell appart in a hurry! While I will say during the Ware County game I noted Booth's sideline demenor was one that lead me to believe that he hadn't made this Manatee team his yet..............To try to compare Booth's style to Joe's and use that as the basis to determine sucess is short sighted

Go Canes Go!

I think what twc is saying is if the rest of the staff left manatee would have had a rough year this year.

I'm not questioning Booth's ability to coach or put together a team, but I would strongly question his decision making if he doesn't go for the jugular in this game heading into the playoffs.

Conboy and Gulash are no longer on the staff...........twc2499 has before stated he felt Conboy was a huge assest on the offensive side of the ball. Booth's brother became the OC, and to me has done a much better job with the offensive over what I saw Conboy do over the spring or what I feel Conboy could have done this fall with the offense. In that I believe Booth's brother has taken what remained of the offensive talent and molded it for the talent he had, something I didn't feel Conboy was very good at! Keeping Phelen at DC was huge in that it did in fact keep the exsisting system intact. So no, I wouldn't say everything should be attributted to Joe's guys, because what Booth and his brother did with the offense was huge this year in making the best of what looked like a really bad situation. They took the talent they had and made it work, by finding ways to make the offensive system work for the avaliable talent. Good coaches do that..........I dont believe Conboy would have.

To me twc2499 statement about the staff is more of just a way to keep from giving Booth his due for what he manage to do with this team, despite a number of tuff obstacles that had to be over come before and during the early part of the season.

Go Canes Go!

Gulash was considered one of the best D-Line coaches in the Nation, I read on a National board. That was a big loss coaching-wise.

Originally posted by gatorman001:
A pretty good indication of his ability to build of program is the one he left behind when he accepted the Manatee job. Bloomingdale has lost only one game this season that being against Plant HS............I believe if Booth is given 1/2 a chance..... that Manatee will be just fine!

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/7 11:09 AM by gatorman001
This is very true, as Bloomingdale was a perennial doormat prior to Booth... The current HC was on his staff and continued moving the program in the direction that Booth was taking it. One thing people have to realize as well is the amount of schools in that area... Its really hard to get talent there are around 13 schools in that Eastern Hillsborough Area

Gatorman, manatee is running the exact same offense they did last year, so the old staff has been a big part of this years team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT