ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 35 Martin County 21 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee was down 21-14 at half, but came out in the 2nd half with a strong run game.....( Primarily Kyree Jones, as he had to have close to 200 yards rushing by the end of the game). Manatee's biggest problem this game, was what's been its biggest issue all season........Vulnerability to the big pass play. In all Manatee allowed 5 pass plays of 28 yards or more for the game, and 3 of those completions went for TD's! STA will take advantage of that next week against Manatee, in a even bigger way! Turnovers also plagued Manatee in the 1st half. killing 2 Manatee drives.

Should be interesting to see how Manatee does against STA's Turner and Sapp at the DE positions. I believe the STA QB will also give the Manatee defense problems with his ability to run and pass too.......It could get ugly in a hurry.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Silver King
I'm hoping Manatee can upset STA. I never like the fact that they allow STA to compete in the playoffs being that I see then as an IMG type team, but it is what it is.

Don't know if its because they got such a late start on the season or not, but the little bit of film I've watched leads me to feel that they aren't as stacked from top to bottom as they normally would be. Now they still have incredible speed, and have the 2 DE's Turner who I believe looks to be heading to Alabama and Sapp who committed to Florida. The RB isnt a big back maybe 5'8" or 5'9", but he's shifty and fast. The QB was with them last year as a soph when they won the state title, but his completion % this year is just a tad bit over 50% and what I've seen on film he's thrown more bubble screen type passes then throwing down field. He's also a threat to pull the ball down and run as well.

Manatee's going to have to come out playing with emotion. Tyrek Allen the Jr safety for Manatee hasn't played in 3 weeks, and Shakir keeps everything on the downlow in as far as injuries go......so not sure what his status for the game is, but Manatee could sure use him in the defensive backfield this game! Jabari Dunbar at RB who I believe is a pretty good RB, just cant seem to stay healthy. Every time he gets the ball he comes up injured. By the end of the game last week he was out of his pads, with ice on his shoulder or arm.....so his status for this weeks is up in the air? Kyree Jones when he runs hard and doesn't dance around in the backfield is a presence to deal with. I was shocked last week when he broke out into the clear and then cranked it up to another gear and out ran the Martin County DB's to the goal line!

I see STA on offense attacking Manatee's defense at the perimeter, as well as testing Manatee's shaky pass defense. On defense I see STA just playing Manatee straight up, with a attitude of we're better and stronger than you......bring it!

I'd just like to see it be a competitive game, and lets see what happens!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT