ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland 28 Dr Phillips 7

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
At no point in this contest did anyone in the stadium get the impression that DP was a better/stronger, or a more complete team then Mainland. This was by far Mainland's best showing of the season. They generally play to the level of competition. DP is a good solid team, however on this night they had nothing for the big bad Bucs. Defense should have had a shutout ( more on that later ). The Mainland offense, at times, was nearly unstoppable ( more on that later ). DP lines up in a spread offense, but very rarely spreads the ball around. Can't really remember seeing another team with their athletic skills running so much from that open formation. Their defense appeared ( this evening ) to be a strong fast unit. Not as strong as the Bucs, but very capable nevertheless.....Later is now...... I'm old enough to be the father of damn near every Mainland coach on the football staff. The joy that team has given me over the years is beyond me being able to properly explain it . It all starts with the coaches. The long hours, with little or no compensation these young guys give to the school's athletic programs can never really be appreciated unless, like me, you have observed them from afar over many years and leading many different Mainland sports teams. The majority are ex Mainland Buccaneers. Daytona Seabreeze is represented, Bethune-Cookman (Daytona Beach) is also there. Young Daytona Guys giving back to where they came from. The word "Family" is used by many programs. Most often it's lip service. At Mainland it's the TRUTH! With all that being said, Coaches the amount of red flags being thrown in the direction of your young Bucs is ridiculous. It cast an unfavorable light on all the hard work you put into being a Florida high school football power. You have to clean things up! One of these days, at a most inappropriate time, like a playoff game, your going to lose to an inferior team because of all the foolishness. No hate, I love you guys, signed the old Buc with the big mouth.... Buc Forever

Last edited:
For 3/4 of the first half, Mainland looked like a state champion. For the remainder of the game, not so much, as stupid, unnecessary penalties and some hard to understand play calling on offense, marred what, otherwise, would have been a stellar performance.

Mainland can go as far as it wants to go this year. The only weakness I observed during the game was the absence of the nasty linebackers that have been a hallmark of Mainland teams the past three or four years. This allowed DP modest success in its running game.

For 3/4 of the first half, Mainland looked like a state champion. For the remainder of the game, not so much, as stupid, unnecessary penalties ... marred what, otherwise, would have been a stellar performance.
Man does that ring a bell!

Turn the clock back to December, 2000. The big school (6A) final contested at Ben Hill Grifffin in Gainesville, became a defensive battle that matched Ft. Lauderdale Dillard against Palm Bay.

Throughout the first half, the Dillard offense (which featured future OSU and Carolina Panther star Chris Gamble) kept misfiring and shooting itself in the foot. On the opening drive of the second half, Dillard sprung a running back named Markis Facyson for a 16 yd gain.

Palm Bay (who happened to have a DB named Reggie Nelson) managed to bring Faison down on the 37. Panther fans went nuts. Down 10-0, it was their first big offensive play and Nu'Trelle remembers saying, "That play might turn out to be the reason Dillard wins this game!"

No sooner had the words come out Nu'Trelle's mouth, when Facyson jumped to his feet, faced downfield and executed the single "most demonstrative" first down signal you is ever seen.

Yellow hankies flew from all four corners of Alachua County. The officials marched off 15. The drive ended on the next play. Dillard's QB threw an interception.

Palm Bay eventually prevailed 10-6, primarily by taking advantage of Dillard miscues.

In 20 plus years of attending the Finals in every class, Facyson's decision to draw the flag is still one of the most pathetic performances Nu'Trelle has ever seen.

The most amazing part of all? Joe Redmond, then HC at Dillard, didn't even pull Facyson out the game ... didn't even sit him for one play!

When Nu'Trelle played, there wasn't one athlete on our team who would have been stupid enough to have committed Faison's error, but if one of us had, our head coach would have wound up getting arrested for the ass-beating that he would have been administered after the fact ... and he probably wouldn't even have waited til the player reached the sideline.

Last edited:
Mainland has always and will always out talent most they play in the North, they are my pick this year to win it all in 6A

Yikes, tough critique. Thought we did well on defense, down 14-7 and driving in the 4th. The fumble on Mainland's side of the field for DP midway through the 4th was huge and Mainland filpped it quickly with the Killins run for 21-7. Mainland's last TD came as DP was driving again, taking a bad snap back to the house for a TD. There is no excuse for what Mainland's defense did (and the way they played, I saw the film), and that allowed DP to play with them. But guess what, this is football. DP also shot itself in the foot many, many times. It was closer than you indicate; if you don't make plays (or if you commit penalties) then you are a worse football team for it. DP had nothing offensively and that is a concern. However they were stopped (or turned the ball over) twice in Mainland territory in the second half. Best of luck the rest of the year. I want DP to go Wildcat with 2 and 5.

Last edited:
Listen, DP (2-3) would blow out many (if not most of) the 5-0 teams in the state. Apopka and Mainland back to back. Respect Magrino/Wambles/Wells. This will get us ready. We need to focus on our deep passing game as we play lower level opponents. However, before those 4 games come, DP needs to handle Oak Ridge (9-2 last year and beat Apopka in 2014). Mainland was a true test and the best defense I've seen play against DP since... hell... Hillsborough in the 90's (beat DP 7-0 in the playoffs when coach Wells was a senior. I think we also gave up about 4-6 ppg that year). Went 9-3 and lost 7-3, 6-0 and 7-0, I believe. (RANT OVER). I'm not even sure they were up to par with Mainland. STOP THE PENALTIES AND YOU WILL CRUISE TO A TITLE.

Listen, DP (2-3) would blow out many (if not most of) the 5-0 teams in the state.
Nu'Trelle glad to see that Pipe Dream is stayin positive.

Before anybody on here badmouth Dr. Phillips, take into consideration:

1. There are 2,344 high schools in FL.
2. Only THREE of them has figured out how to beat DP.
3. This mean 99.87% of them AIN'T.
4. Losta 5-0 schools AIN'T.
5. Sure, not all 2,344 schools play football, but who cares.

Warning to Cat_scratch: Don't come here with none of that "Who's on first" chit. This is a serious post.

P.S. to Pipe Dream: If you get to the point - and you should - where you decide that the future look so bright you're worried bout your eyes, contack TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye who keep upgrading shades with each consecutive loss. He/she might give you a real good deal on some used ones.

Reactions: Wavebb
Nu'Trelle glad to see that Pipe Dream is stayin positive.

Before anybody on here badmouth Dr. Phillips, take into consideration:

1. There are 2,344 high schools in FL.
2. Only THREE of them has figured out how to beat DP.
3. This mean 99.87% of them AIN'T.
4. Losta 5-0 schools AIN'T.
5. Sure, not all 2,344 schools play football, but who cares.

Warning to Cat_scratch: Don't come here with none of that "Who's on first" chit. This is a serious post.

P.S. to Pipe Dream: If you get to the point - and you should - where you decide that the future look so bright you're worried bout your eyes, contack TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye who keep upgrading shades with each consecutive loss. He/she might give you a real good deal on some used ones.

How many national titles has DP won???? How many state titles??? National top 25 rankings by Max Preps ??? Where do they rank nationally now??? According to Max Preps they rank 29 in Fla, are 2-4 and rank 292 in the country??????????????? FAR FROM OMNIPOTENT...

Last edited:
Yeah, no doubt about it. Drummer qualify as that "special kinda stupid" dude who walk into a bar an start hittin on the Sheriff's girl.

Reactions: peezy28
Yeah, no doubt about it. Drummer qualify as that "special kinda stupid" dude who walk into a bar an start hittin on the Sheriff's girl.

Explain.... I was just questioning DP credentials as some "dude" posted.. Just flew back from Jersey and saw two great games.. Bosco D might just be getting started..Rummel=tough D too.

Yikes, tough critique. Thought we did well on defense, down 14-7 and driving in the 4th. The fumble on Mainland's side of the field for DP midway through the 4th was huge and Mainland filpped it quickly with the Killins run for 21-7. Mainland's last TD came as DP was driving again, taking a bad snap back to the house for a TD. There is no excuse for what Mainland's defense did (and the way they played, I saw the film), and that allowed DP to play with them. But guess what, this is football. DP also shot itself in the foot many, many times. It was closer than you indicate; if you don't make plays (or if you commit penalties) then you are a worse football team for it. DP had nothing offensively and that is a concern. However they were stopped (or turned the ball over) twice in Mainland territory in the second half. Best of luck the rest of the year. I want DP to go Wildcat with 2 and 5.

Just an observation from an outsider.

DP wouldn't have scored at all, if it wasn't for a b.s. call of roughness.

It was the play immediately after the roughness penalty for hitting that kid without a helmet.
DP ran a read option play inside and the QB carried out his fake and the Mainland DE slammed
him to the turf. There was zero roughness on that play. That QB is fair game. The entire
idea of carrying out his fake is to draw people away from the ball carrier. Also, DP coaches
will want to see if the DE is paying attention to him. All those questions were answered.

fwiw...after that initial roughness penalty, I believe the referee might have been worrying
that he could lose control of the game and threw the flag, just to slow everybody down a
bit. I was surprised the Mainland Coach didn't go on the field. He was jawing at the
ref about it. I'll cut the official some slack based on my thinking of why he threw the
flag, but if he didn't throw that flag, DP wouldn't have scored.

Just an outside p.o.v.

You can't get that kinda stupid off the rack or skrait out the showroom. No, NO.
You gotta order that kind of phlegmatic stupidity from the factory, with a deposit, cashier's check, and license check.

BTW, I solemnly apologize for ever calling Jambone less than stellar.

Reactions: Wavebb

Explain.... I was just questioning DP credentials as some "dude" posted.. Just flew back from Jersey and saw two great games.. Bosco D might just be getting started..Rummel=tough D too.

You guys crack on me, but never respond with credible or viable responses to my post referencing DP..........Therefore,DP must not be of much account...By being silly and exhibiting childish behavior ,you two I laugh at.. Comedy central at it's best, morons at their worst..

You guys crack on me, but never respond with credible or viable responses to my post referencing DP..........Therefore,DP must not be of much account...By being silly and exhibiting childish behavior ,you two I laugh at.. Comedy central at it's best, morons at their worst..

Yet, you keep coming back, like a white rat, hitting that paddle for another shot of goody in an early eighties experiment to find out if Coke is bad for you.
You not here for the football, are you?

PJD3883, in 2014, the NFHS expanded the definition of a defenseless player to include a player because of his physical position and focus of concentration is vulnerable to injury. This, among others, is meant to include a pretend runner who, in the judgment of an official, may be out of the play for a reasonable amount of time. This is all part of the emphasis on player safety by the NFHS.

PJD3883, in 2014, the NFHS expanded the definition of a defenseless player to include a player because of his physical position and focus of concentration is vulnerable to injury. This, among others, is meant to include a pretend runner who, in the judgment of an official, may be out of the play for a reasonable amount of time. This is all part of the emphasis on player safety by the NFHS.

Hey, Moon, I mean Jambub82!
We were just talking about you. Hey, man, I want to tell you something, uhm, ah, I uh, ...
Dude, I' m sorry for ever saying you was a dumbass. That's it. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the referee stuff.

At no point in this contest did anyone in the stadium get the impression that DP was a better/stronger, or a more complete team then Mainland. This was by far Mainland's best showing of the season. They generally play to the level of competition. DP is a good solid team, however on this night they had nothing for the big bad Bucs. Defense should have had a shutout ( more on that later ). The Mainland offense, at times, was nearly unstoppable ( more on that later ). DP lines up in a spread offense, but very rarely spreads the ball around. Can't really remember seeing another team with their athletic skills running so much from that open formation. Their defense appeared ( this evening ) to be a strong fast unit. Not as strong as the Bucs, but very capable nevertheless.....Later is now...... I'm old enough to be the father of damn near every Mainland coach on the football staff. The joy that team has given me over the years is beyond me being able to properly explain it . It all starts with the coaches. The long hours, with little or no compensation these young guys give to the school's athletic programs can never really be appreciated unless, like me, you have observed them from afar over many years and leading many different Mainland sports teams. The majority are ex Mainland Buccaneers. Daytona Seabreeze is represented, Bethune-Cookman (Daytona Beach) is also there. Young Daytona Guys giving back to where they came from. The word "Family" is used by many programs. Most often it's lip service. At Mainland it's the TRUTH! With all that being said, Coaches the amount of red flags being thrown in the direction of your young Bucs is ridiculous. It cast an unfavorable light on all the hard work you put into being a Florida high school football power. You have to clean things up! One of these days, at a most inappropriate time, like a playoff game, your going to lose to an inferior team because of all the foolishness. No hate, I love you guys, signed the old Buc with the big mouth.... Buc Forever

Dan, the penalties are a problem and they are being addressed. We are happy to be improving week by week and have still yet to perform our best yet. Thanks for your support both as a Wildcat and as a Buc. So, just stay tuned and watch as we try to continue to get better week by week.

Reactions: peezy28
Blackpopsicle, I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but thank you anyway. That means a lot to me. I hope that you and your team are having a good season.

Blackpopsicle, I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but thank you anyway. That means a lot to me. I hope that you and your team are having a good season.

blackpopsicle, your apology apparently mean 3 times as much to jambun82 as any us ever imagined. If you really bein sincere, why not go head an tell him "who your team is". He been worrying bout that since July 13, 2011.

Dude never ceases to amaze.

Of course he meant it.Of course he meant it.Of course he meant it.

That's all fine and dandy but that QB hadn't even made the edge before he got hit.
He read the option...handed the ball off...and didn't take more than 4 steps before the
DE put him down.

He got put down a few other times in the game and nothing was called. Nah, that official
didn't want the game getting out of control. That hit was how you teach tackling. That DE
came straight thru, wrapped him up, took him off his feet, and put him into the ground.

I thought it was ironic. 90% of all tackles are hand grabbing, arm reaching, jumping on shoulders,
spearing, cheap shots, whatever. This kid does a text book tackle and gets a flag for it.

Maybe that's it. The ref has been calling games for 5 or 10 years and has never seen
a proper tackle made.

blackpopsicle, your apology apparently mean 3 times as much to jambun82 as any us ever imagined. If you really bein sincere, why not go head an tell him "who your team is". He been worrying bout that since July 13, 2011.

Nope.
Nope.
Hail Nope.

We still got games to play against vindictive folk. Jambone know more folk than Willie Stargell!

Dan, the penalties are a problem and they are being addressed. We are happy to be improving week by week and have still yet to perform our best yet. Thanks for your support both as a Wildcat and as a Buc. So, just stay tuned and watch as we try to continue to get better week by week.

Apopka, Mainland and Armwood are the only 3 teams from outside South FL that I often find myself backing in a state title game/playoffs.

But it is frustrating to always hear of Mainland missing pieces in regards to focus of play. Playing a bit reckless is fine in VERY small increments, but sustaining sloppy play and racking up penalty yards is an easy way to give away a state title.

Miami Central is going to give you 100 yards in penalties, so it's pretty clear that Mainland needs to tighten this up before then, because what point is it to have an advantage of playing a penalty prone team like MC if you're just going to negate the head start they've given you.

Further, those Ohio boys will make the Bucs pay and they WILL put a hurt on those boys in a BAD way if Mainland doesn't play a clean, focused game. And none of us want to see them go down to an Ohio team - even though it's a team that is already nationally respected. - The Bucs are playing for the whole state in that one.

I'm glad it's being addressed; hopefully the kids absorb the point and the team moves to the next level.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
... it is frustrating to always hear of Mainland missing pieces in regards to focus of play. Playing a bit reckless is fine in VERY small increments, but sustaining sloppy play and racking up penalty yards is an easy way to give away a state title ... I'm glad it's being addressed; hopefully the kids absorb the point and the team moves to the next level.
Nu'Trelle could not agree more with these sentiments, but would change one thing. He would remove "hopefully the kids absorb the point" and replace it with "hopefully the coaches do whatever it takes to communicate the fact that consequences will follow if the commission of stupid penalties does not come to an end."

When Nu'Trelle played, we were taught that it was just plain selfish to commit stupid penalties. Screw up and at halftime, our HC might say something like, "We had them stopped. We were going to get the ball back, gentleman, but guess what, Neutral took it upon himself to decide they needed 15 yards and a first down. Let me stop talking for a moment and let's have Neutral explain to the rest of us why he did that."

Peer pressure, folks. Hard to sit in a locker room and have a warm, fuzzy feeling when you know that your HC is so pissed he can't see straight and even your best friends know it's totally justified.

And if poor judgment persisted, what happened then? The coaches Nu'Trelle played for weren't bashful. You found your dumb a$$ parked on the bench so you could think things over.

Yet, you keep coming back, like a white rat, hitting that paddle for another shot of goody in an early eighties experiment to find out if Coke is bad for you.
You not here for the football, are you?
Never saw a white rat, only black and dark brown stupid ones !!!!!!!!!! I have better things to do and no longer will major in minor things..

Last edited:
Man does that ring a bell!

Turn the clock back to December, 2000. The big school (6A) final contested at Ben Hill Grifffin in Gainesville, became a defensive battle that matched a mistake-prone, penalty-laden Ft. Lauderdale Dillard against Palm Bay.

Throughout the first half, the Dillard offense (which featured future OSU and Carolina Panther star Chris Gamble) kept misfiring and shooting itself in the foot. Early in the second half, facing third down and a $25 cab ride deep their their own territory Dillard finally sprung a running back named Faison for a huge gain.

Palm Bay (who happened to have a DB named Reggie Nelson) managed to bring Faison down just short of midfield, but he had picked-up the first down. Panther fans went nuts. It was their first big offensive play and Nu'Trelle remembers saying, "That play might turn out to be the reason Dillard wins this game!"

No sooner had the words come out Nu'Trelle's mouth, when Faison jumped to his feet, faced downfield and executed the single "most demonstrative" first down signal you is ever seen.

Yellow hankies flew from all four corners of Alachua County. The officials marched off 15. The drive consequently stalled and came to nothing.

Palm Bay eventually prevailed 10-6, primarily by taking advantage of a lethal combination of outright stupidity and lack of self-control on the part of many Dillard athletes.

In 20 plus years of attending the Finals in every class, it is still the most pathetic performance Nu'Trelle have ever saw.

The most amazing part of all? Joe Redmond, then HC at Dillard, didn't even pull Faison out the game ... didn't even sit him for one play!

When Nu'Trelle played, there wasn't one athlete on our team who would have been stupid enough to have committed Faison's error, but if one of us had, our head coach would have wound up getting arrested for the ass-beating that he would have been administered after the fact ... and he probably wouldn't even have waited til the player reached the sideline.

I remember the Game well. I think Faison even went on to play for a highly ranked Florida team.
My football coach made the whole team run laps during practice in gear for our screw ups.

I remember the Game well. I think Faison even went on to play for a highly ranked Florida team
You might be thinking of Ciatric Fason (from Jax Fletcher) who played at UF and got drafted, but he was 210-220 lbs. The kid from Dillard was much smaller. Could find his first name if I dug out the program.

Or ... maybe checked the Internet

Addendum (ain't the Internet is a wonderful thing):

1.Back's name was Markis Facyson
2. He played sparingly for two years as a RB at Rutgers (2004-2005)
3. Penalty in 2000 6-A final came on the opening drive of the second half.
4. Palm Bay was up 10-0 and Dillard had 1st and 10 on their own 21.
5. After a 16 yd carry to the 37, Facyson was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.
6. After 15 was walked-off, ball was placed on Dillard 22, 1st and 10.
7. Dillard was intercepted on the next play.

Last edited:

Thanks, we've had better seasons and are getting better each week.
I am always sarcastic and will be sleeping more soundly in the knowledge that my well wishes mean so much to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT