ADVERTISEMENT

gatorman001

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Good running into you the other day and meeting the Mrs. I just saw of all the years, Charlotte and Manatee are back on the regular season schedule next year.

Really, well I guess we'll be doing a game together next season..........Nothing has been released from the Manatee sites I visit, but I have been monitoring them for that very reason. Kids have been doing camps and doing strength training. I had to smile however about a situation that put things into a reality versus the Manatee propaganda you get from the football facebook page. Ran into the Mom of a kid that plays at Charlotte, as well as is very heavily vested in weight lifting. He competes at 150lbs his Mom indicated, and she shows me a video of him lifting 245lbs in a clean and jerk lift......then I happen to stopped by the facebook page the other day and the administrators of the page had posted a video of a 236lbs soph lifting the same amount and acting like it was the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread.......Manatee did have a kid progress to states in wrestling in the heaviest weight class.......the kid started at center last season......and then I've watched videos of kids doing camp work......big OL kids but my gwad they have incredibly slow feet.....I'll be watching the team weight lifting and track season results to help me assess what kind of progress has been made with regards to speed and strength from last year......Coaching wise I am not expecting better, but I anticipate a much more manageable schedule that will allow the coaching deficiencies to be masked over...........any schedule however like what they had last year will more than likely see Manatee finish with a 4 to 5 win season and hopefully be the death nail to the Green coaching tenure at Manatee.................

Last edited:
Hey both those lifts are pretty impressive and brag worthy on a FB page. You are a "people person, " getting a proud Tarpon momma showing pics!! I think we had three school records in weight lifting this year.

After decades of continuity, that produced a HOF Head Coach, we are doing something foreign to me in regards to Tarpon Football: A major rebuild. And it is coming with a tough schedule and largely a new staff (position wise anyway) at HC, DC, and OC.

My expectations aren't very high. I understand its a process, so I just want to see us reestablish the cornerstone of Tarpon football, what made us a competitive program: Program discipline. Those incessant penalties at the wrong time, cost us possibly three games last season, given the talent we had.

Our Weight Lifting Coach is our OL Coach, he was my oldest's sons coach, then left for college and a HC position in Lee Co. He's one of our returning coaches and is going to have to pull some rabbits out of the hat next season. We may be forced to go back to the undersized but athletic guards that stated in my era and could get out to lead the Tarpon Sweep (it put me through college).

Last edited:
Oddly enough, at the Manatee county weightlifting meet this past week,missing were the names of any individual from Manatee high winning from any weight class in either lift category.........The district meet should tell me much about what if any progress has been made from last year in the gym

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT