ADVERTISEMENT

Firing and Hiring season has started

307mac

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2009
Coaching moves

Baker County hired Jamie Rodgers as its new football coach. Rodgers had spent the last four seasons at Suwannee, including a 12-2 mark and state semifinals berth in 2014. Rodgers replaces Tom MacPherson, who was fired earlier this month. ... Ridgeview coach Charlie Libreto resigned from the head coaching position after two seasons. The Panthers went 5-5 in 2014, but slumped to 1-9 this year.

Richard Vester has been hired as Newberry’s new football coach, Bryan Roundtree, the high school’s athletic director, announced Wednesday.

Vester has 17 years coaching experience, most recently as assistant coach at Jay (2013-2015) and Madison County (2010-2012).

Cedderick Daniels, a longtime assistant at Gainesville High, will cross town to take over the football program at Eastside, Rams athletic director Doris Raven announced Friday.

Daniels, 36, has been a defensive assistant for seven years at GHS, his alma mater, serving under head coaches Ryan Smith, James Thomson and Mark Latsko. He has been co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach since 2010.

“It has been an overwhelming feeling,” said Daniels, who will be making his debut as a head coach. “Yesterday was a long day and right now I’m trying to get over the emotional part of it and get down to business.”

Daniels replaces Jeff Parker, who resigned at the end of the 2015 season after five campaigns. Parker remains a dean at the school.

Jeff Parker is a Daytona guy. Went to Seabreeze High then on to UCF. Hired as head coach at Spruce Creek High but never coached a down. Coached at Norfork State and then Tennessee State. Didn't realize he was in Gainesville.

Edit ,under further review : Sorry must be two Jeff Parker's. Daytona's own is still listed at Tennessee State. Good work Tony. Add the Pine Ridge head coach to the list also. He was let go Wednesday

Last edited:
Pine Ridge relieved Bob Goebel of his duties as the school's football coach on Thursday afternoon, principal John Atkinson said.

In two seasons with the Panthers, Goebel posted a 3-16 overall record including an 0-9 mark against district opponents. He coached Spruce Creek for four seasons before stepping down in 2012 with a record of 12-28.

"We are grateful to Coach Goebel for his efforts in helping to restore stability to our football program," athletic director Brad Montgomery said in a statement released by the school. "As we do with all coaches, we reviewed the results of the season and all aspects of the program. It was determined that a change was needed."

Prior to Goebel, the Panthers had only three wins from 2011-13 under Scott Surgener. The team went 6-4 in 2011 but was forced to vacate five victories after dressing an ineligible player.

Pine Ridge has reached the state playoffs only once in its history, according to Florida High School Athletic Association records, back in 2008 under Robert Braucht.

Montgomery hopes to conduct interviews immediately after the impending winter break and fill the vacancy by late January.

Goebel will remain at the school as a social studies teacher, Atkinson said.

Sickles High and head football coach Brian Turner have parted ways.

Sickles athletic director James Harris said Wednesday the school has begun its search for a new head football coach. Harris would not comment as to why Turner and the school parted ways.

Messages left for Turner were not returned.

Turner, hired in 2010, has led the program to six consecutive winning seasons, three straight playoff appearances and two district titles. Turner guided the program to its first district title and state playoff appearance in 2013.

In 2013, Sickles finished 11-2, the best record in program history, and advanced to the Class 7A region championship. In 2014, the Gryphons defended their district title and reached the region semifinals. This past season Sickles finished 8-3, was district runner-up to Plant, and lost to Lakeland in the 7A region quarterfinals.

During Turner’s time as coach, the program featured many of the state’s top players, namely Hillsborough County’s all-time career rushing leader Ray Ray McCloud III, who now plays at Clemson, South Florida linebacker Josh Black, Bethune-Cookman running back Cary White and current senior and South Florida commit Chris Oladokun.

Turner had an overall record of 58-19 in six seasons at Sickles.

Most of these fired coaches are also teachers, right? Do they retain their teaching positions or are they out of that job also?

Pine Ridge is a very difficult school to coach and win at due to demographics. Patience is needed, and hopefully the Panthers get the coach that they are looking for.

yman High School has found its new head football coach.

On Thursday the Greyhounds turned to Celebration coach Dennis Thomas to fill that role. He’ll replace Jeff Gierke, who stepped down from the position at the end of the season but remains on faculty at the school.

“We were looking for somebody with a little bit of head coaching experience, and he has that,” Lyman athletic director Russel Williams said. “He’s done a good job over at Celebration and they gave us a good recommendation.”

Thomas, a 1999 graduate of Evans High School, applied for the Lyman job four years ago. Williams said 65 applicants inquired about the position this time around.

“It’s the first head coaching job I applied for and when I saw it again I couldn’t pass it up,” Thomas said. “My wife grew up in that area, we used to live around there, and that’s where we want to raise our family.”

The Greyhounds finished 1-9 in 2015 after going 3-7 in 2014 and 5-5 in each of the two years prior. Lyman hasn’t finished above .500 since going 6-4 in 2009 under Bill Caughell.

“I’m fully aware that this is not going to be easy,” Thomas said. “We’ve got a hard district and some hard teams on the schedule, but in this coaching thing you’ve got to believe in yourself a little bit, so that’s not going to scare me.

Most of these fired coaches are also teachers, right? Do they retain their teaching positions or are they out of that job also?

Choc, that's a question too general to answer in specific terms. Football coach is a supplemental position in Fl publics, so, your teaching position is subject to your teaching performance. If the coach wants to continue his FB career, he will need to move on. If not, he can remain and the incoming coach has a harder time bringing new folks in and finding positions for them on campus.

Lots of times those teams that struggle to develop program momentum, do so because they can't get good coaches on campus. Sometimes that's on the new coach, too. Many haven't given thought to who will coach for them and haven't established what the new principal will allow for incoming movement. New guys applying for HBC don't have the connections to pull in coaches that have multiple endorsements to teach.

For the life of me, I can't understand any HBC not having a ball rolling PE job.

As you know, in the panhandle most head coaches are also the AD so, if they are fired, both positions become available. When Coach Thomas came from North Carolina, he brought a few coaches with him and retained a few. Some are still coaching Choctaw from when my son played in the early 2000s.

But, in Okaloosa County, I have seen many assistant coaches move from school to school without a head coaching job change. I guess they move before they lose their coaching job.

Ribault has a new football coach with a familiar name.

Kelvin Smith, a longtime Trojans assistant and a 1987 graduate of Ribault, was tabbed as the school’s next coach. Smith was a Super 11 selection as a linebacker at Ribault and later went on to play at Florida State. He played in the Canadian Football League for three years and then segued into coaching. Smith had been Ribault’s defensive coordinator.

Smith replaces Anthony Flynn, who is retiring from his teaching position in 2016 following 36 years. He had served as Ribault’s head coach for nine years, going 55-42 and leading the Trojans to the Region 1-5A semifinals this season.

As you know, in the panhandle most head coaches are also the AD so, if they are fired, both positions become available. When Coach Thomas came from North Carolina, he brought a few coaches with him and retained a few. Some are still coaching Choctaw from when my son played in the early 2000s.

But, in Okaloosa County, I have seen many assistant coaches move from school to school without a head coaching job change. I guess they move before they lose their coaching job.

Actually, it's Okaloosa and Walton counties that have the football coaches double as ADs, which is why both counties pay so well. Escambia and Santa Rosa stopped that practice years ago. Jerry Pollard at Pine Forest is the only football coach that is also the AD in the Escambia-Santa Rosa counties.

Following the most successful run in the program’s history, Hallandale football coach Dameon Jones announced Monday he was retiring from coaching.

Jones led Hallandale to five playoff appearances in his seven combined seasons over two coaching stints at his alma mater.

Over the past two seasons, he guided the Chargers to a 21-4 record and appearances in the Class 6A regional semifinals in 2014 and 5A regional finals in 2015 each time losing to the eventual state champion.

Jones took over the program in 2007 and coached three seasons before stepping aside for a year and returning in 2011. He led the Chargers to five of its six-ever playoff victories.

This past season, Jones led Hallandale to a second-round upset over two-time state champion Plantation American Heritage before losing in the next round to Orlando Bishop Moore.

In 2014, Jones’ Chargers went 11-0 before losing to five-time state champion Miami Central in the second round.

This past season, Hallandale was one of the potent offensive teams in the state led by quarterback Tyler Huntley, a Utah commit that passed for 3,636 yards and 42 touchdowns. The Chargers averaged 34.5 points per game.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article51923970.html#storylink=cpy

Oak Ridge in search of new football coach after parting ways with Sapp

Zephyrhills’ Reggie Roberts confirmed Monday night that he is no longer the head football coach at the school.

The coach from Tampa Sickles will have to find another job or he will be entered into a seniority pool where you get placed (anywhere/somewhere) based on years of experience - it's almost like a draft of sorts. Once you lose your head coaching supplement you lose your teaching spot (the reason is of no importance). Most other districts will retain you if you have tenure.

Hard to win at Pine Ridge, think they've had one winning season since the school opened, don't hold me to that fact though. I do know they were not much competition when I coached at that other West Volusia school. Sanford Seminole has now opened their head coach spot as well, surprising since I thought Wiggins was doing a good job of rebuilding that program. Especially with the death of Coach Moore, very distracting and he still managed to field a winning and competitive team. If not for outstanding defensive play by our guys they could have rung us up this year, having the ball 3x inside our 5 yard line and only getting one touchdown.

UHSTitan, Pine Ridge had some success right after the school opened in 1994. I believe that the Panthers were 7-3 in 1996, and they played in a postseason bowl game. Pine Ridge made the playoffs in 2008 as a second place finisher in their district under the coaching of Robert Braucht. Coach Braucht left to coach in Georgia after that season, and the Panthers had a winning season in 2011 under first year coach Scott Sugerar. On a personal note UHSTitan, I wanted to say how sorry I am, and how bad I felt about the way that University was not able to participate in the playoffs after clearly earning the right on the playing field. I was glad to see the parents get a lawyer, fight this, and I wish the Titans all the best in 2016.

Jambun, thanks for the correction. I knew Pine Ridge had made the playoffs one year however did not remember the other two seasons. Thank you for saying that, kids had been working hard since we played Mainland in the spring and they played a helluva season, unfortunately a honest mistake was made and we were punished. Don't agree with the harshness of the punishment however that's not my call to make. It was awesome to see how our parents circled the wagons and defended us. No one can take away what they did on the field though and just gives our kids returning a chip on their shoulders! We lose 2 starters on offense however have big holes to fill defensively!!

UHSTitan, Joe Rago was I believe the Offensive Coordinator when Pine Ridge has some early success in the mid-to-late 90's. He would be able to give you some more information about that time. The Head Coach of the team back then name escapes me, but I believe that he went on the coach in college.

Bishop Kenny made two big moves Tuesday as the school put the finishing touches on its changing of the guard.

The school announced that football coach Mark Thorson is moving to the athletic director position, and assistant Bobby Raulerson was elevated to head football coach.

“I’m excited, Bishop Kenny’s a good place with good people and great kids,” Raulerson said. “I have so much respect for Mark and what he’s done over there. This is a tremendous job. It wouldn’t be where it is without Mark.”

Thorson will step into the role held by longtime athletic director Bob West, who announced his retirement last November after 39 years at the school, 23 of those as the baseball coach. West stepped away from baseball after the 2005 season with a 532-129 record.

Tim “Ice” Harris is ready for Round 3 at Booker T.

A source has told the Miami Herald that Harris, who turned Miami Booker T. Washington into a national powerhouse by leading the school to three football state championships, including a national title in 2013, is set to return to coach the Tornadoes.

Harris, 50, spent the past two seasons as running backs coach at the University of Miami in what was his second stint at UM. Harris was not retained following the Hurricanes’ hiring of Mark Richt as head coach.

Harris did not immediately return phone calls to the Herald.

At Booker T. Washington (2003-07, 2011-13), Harris compiled a 99-10 record in eight seasons and won USA Today National Coach of the Year honors in 2007 after leading the Tornadoes to a state championship.

Harris was then hired at UM and was there from 2008-2010 under then-coach Randy Shannon.

After a similar coaching change at UM, Harris returned to coach Booker T. once again. He would earn Florida Dairy Farmers Florida Coach of the Year honors in 2012 and 2013 after leading the Tornadoes back-to-back Class 4A state titles those seasons, and starting what would eventually become a Miami-Dade record 41-game winning streak.

Harris is set to take over for Earl Tillman, who led Booker T. to its fourth consecutive state championship this past season, a streak that is tied with Miami Central for the Miami-Dade County record.

The source said Tillman, who has been on the coaching staff for the past 14 years, will remain as the team’s associate head coach and offensive line coach — his role when Harris previously coached the team.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article56643248.html#storylink=cpy

Ty will do great there still losing a legend like Sherman is a loss to HSFB IMO

On Tuesday, South Sumter’s “perfect man” retired as Raiders coach and athletic director. He will remain the school’s curriculum coordinator until the end of the school year.

Longtime assistant coach Ty Lawrence, a Leesburg High School graduate, was named to replace Sherman as head coach. Keith Hileman, another longtime assistant of Sherman’s, will replace him as athletic director.

“This is a good day for me and the South Sumter football community,” Sherman said. “My wife and I are in good health, and we’re young enough to enjoy our retirement. This was something we’ve been thinking about for a couple of years now and the timing for everything seemed right. I’m 60 (years old) now and it’s time to let the younger guys take over.

“Our football program is in great shape with Ty as head coach.”

Sherman’s accomplishments with the Raiders are substantial. He compiled a record of 261-109, including an 8-3 record last season.

He is the winningest football coach in Lake and Sumter County history and ranks fourth in Central Florida, behind Bill Gierke, Larry Gergley and Gerald Odom.

The Raiders have won 17 district championships since 1993 and won an area record 39 straight regular-season games between Oct. 21, 2011 and Oct. 8, 2015.

He led South Sumter to the 2005 Class 2A state championship and produced countless college football players. Among those are Earl Everett, a linebacker who helped the University of Florida win a national championship in 2006, and Clint Hart, who played quarterback and defensive back at South Sumter and was a starting defensive back for the Philadelphia Eagles and San Diego Chargers in the National Football League.

But, Sherman’s accomplishments on the football field tell only part of his story.

“Inman’s legacy extends far beyond Raider Field,” said Principal Dr. Preston Morgan. “His impact on our community is widespread and multi-generational. He’s coached fathers and sons, and maybe even a few grandfathers. As a curriculum coordinator, he’s helped many students enjoy academic success. Not many of our student athletes go on to play college football, but a lot of our students have gone on to college because of his help.

“To many people in this community, he is more than a football coach. He is one of the reasons they have become successful in life.”

Sherman said he was leaning toward retiring after the Raiders lost in the Class 4A-Region 2 quarterfinals at Alachua Santa Fe. Instead of announcing his decision then, Sherman and his wife, Marty, used the holiday break to think things over.

When Sumter County Schools returned from the break, he quietly told Morgan he was stepping aside.

“I tried to talk him out of it,” Morgan said.

Sherman felt he wasn’t doing things as well as had in the past, like conducting practices or film study. While his mind and body were willing, Sherman realized his energy level — the level he felt the job required — wasn’t as high as it been in previous seasons.

“Coaching is an everyday job,” Sherman said. “You can’t just do it during the season for a couple of hours a day and expect to do it well. It requires a lot and I felt like I wasn’t doing it as well as I had in the past. There are certainly some mixed feelings about stepping down and while it hasn’t been an easy decision, it feels like the right thing to do.”

Sherman said he and his wife plan to spend time with their grandson and granddaughter, and “doing whatever retired people do.”

They have no desire, however, to move out of Sumter County and expect to attend South Sumter football games as often as they can.

When they do, there is strong probability they will encounter some kind of tribute to Sherman. Morgan said no plans have been put together, but he believes the community will demand that something be done to acknowledge Sherman’s accomplishments with the football program.

Whatever is done, however, likely will be to the former coach’s dismay.

“Inman doesn’t want anything,” Morgan said. “That’s just the kind of person he is. He wants to slide out quietly. Well, that’s not going to happen. I don’t think the community will allow that happen.

“We have a lot of options available to us and we’ll come up with something appropriate.”

Regardless of what happens with tributes around Bushnell or South Sumter, Sherman said he walks away from the sidelines at Raider Field feeling good about what he’s leaving behind. He feels the program is in solid shape, with Lawrence at the helm and most — if not all — of last year’s coaching staff remaining intact.

As for his legacy, Sherman said he hasn’t given it much thought.

“I just want everyone to know that I always did the best I could do for South Sumter footbal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT