ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Dunbar First Undefeated Season!

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Good to see them stay the course, they are a talented team that beat a couple of SW Fl's power houses along the way!

Want to read a good high school football book? It's by former local sports writer, David Dorsey; Fourth Down in Dunbar

Thanks for sharing Silver King. I’ve attended 3 Dunbar vs Fort Myers games in the last 10 years. It will be interesting to see how far they go in the playoffs this year. They have a good chance to get to the 3rd round then the competition will start to get steep.

Reactions: Silver King
Yeah, good RB, good team speed, couple of good guys on defense. Puzzled about the NFM game, we thumped them and they hung with the Tigers in that 7-3 game. We didn't have our best back for Dunbar, I was hoping we would have drawn them, rather than Naples.But I still feel funny getting in with only 5 wins, saw Port Charlotte go in one year with 3 wins. But the FHSAA needs the $.

Came across this bit of Karma in Monday's paper about the three area teams headed for the playoffs but turned out to instead be about all the scenarios why Port Charlotte didn't (Football Karma finally caught up with the 8-seed Pirates from when they made it on a 3-7 season):

"Another twist of fate – the District 11 champion, Chamberlain, stole a spot with an automatic berth from a three-team district despite going 3-7. Port Charlotte was No. 8 in the region’s RPI ratings. Chamberlain was 10th"

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s more about winning the right games while losing the games that don’t matter don’t matter that much.

Didn't matter much for the Fish, Naples thumped them 37-0. I figured it wouldn't be pretty; a 5-win team against a 9-0 team with as many shutouts as we had wins.

We're in the pendulum swing/market adjustment and until we get back, these weighted games are the only way to get to the playoffs to at least hope something good happens and you advance.

But still, this dinosaur liked it when we played in the old Coral Coast Conference with no watered down teams from expansion: Venice, Palmetto, Southeast, Cypress Lake (Angry Joe Kinan coaching), Naples, NFM, East Bay, Desoto. You survived a season with a battle every week then you were playing at a very high level and you went straight to the Regional Title game.

If not, there was No Runner up, no participation trophy, your season was over. Be really good or be gone!

Last edited:
The best moment from last night, was the fake punt that Charlotte converted for a 1st down that subsequently put the Tarpons deep in Naples territory. They would however come away with no points and Naples from that point just simply used its superior team speed to overwhelm the Tarpons the entire night.

I'm old enough to remember the old Coral Coast Conference, of course I also remember the old Western Conference that Manatee played in. Last night Broward and Dade counties put it to Lee County football teams in a big way!

The 2 year program Sumner, (that a earlier thread was devoted to), won its 1st ever playoff game over Northeast high school last night......I want to say by a score of 8-6?

Palmetto won its playoff game last night, and plays Tampa Bay Tech this coming Friday. I believe Palmetto's defense can keep Palmetto in this game. Anyone that hasn't seen Palmetto's LB Jaylon Wester play, is missing a real treat.......he is old school with his play at the LB position!

Last edited:
Curious to see how Naples and Venice do.

Wave told me Naples ran that Veer to perfection, three guys who can run the ball. I heard they're not very big but they have great technique. One of our Dl has had a habit of standing straight up- he never lost that all season. Someone told me their smallish 180lb guard was getting on his hip and washing him out all night.

Ordered that Dunbar book Silver King. Wave warned me that Plantation could handle Dunbar. Well, he was right again. Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT