ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkinson leaving Cocoa for New Smyrna Beach

Catscatch and myself ( Dan in Daytona ) have talked about this possible move for years. Below was taken from "Merritt Island" thread pg. 13 on Feb. 2 & 3 on "Prepgridiron." I'm talking to my pal Darter. Sorry for the poor computer skills. I'm a pen and paper guy.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, DarterBlue said:
On 2/2/2018 at 10:45 PM,DarterBluesaid:
If he did leave Cocoa, I believe it would be for Merritt Island. Wilk is not a spread guy and I feel that for Viera to succeed it needs to run a heavily pass oriented type of offense.

Vierra is a very affluent, suburban area and I can't see them running the smash mouth offense that Cocoa ran under Wilkerson. Just my ten cents.

I could certainly see him returning to his Alma Marta, though. And, it would be a shorter drive home.

(Dan).....to New Smyrna Beach, where he lives. They (NSB) also need a (6A) HC. This rumor has been floating around for years. There's been a Merritt Island/NSB/Cocoa connection for many years. It started with coach Gerald Odom and some of the boys who played for him.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:07 AM, DarterBlue said:
On 2/3/2018 at 7:07 AM,DarterBluesaid:
That would be an intriguing move. Do you think he would seriously consider it?

(Dan)...Don't know the man, it's pure speculation, but he and family live in the area. His boyhood buddy from Pop Warner thru high school ( Lance Jenkins ) was the head coach at NSB till 2015? There are a group of area business men (NSB) who aren't afraid to throw dollars around. Booker T Washington High, out of Miami, won 10K two years in a row by winning a summer 7 on 7 tournament in New Smyrna Beach. The runner ups won 5K. So anything is possible. You know, as I do, in Florida most head coaches get 4-5K over their teaching salaries. That's the norm.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
Any change they could poach some of Mainland's talent? NSB ain't that far away.
We've gotten a few of their's over the years. Like Deland, they have a long history of great area athletes. If Wilk's keeps them home, they will be OK. Can they get some Mainland guys ? Yes, but they will be competing with the newer head coaches at FPC, Atlantic, Spruce Creek, and Deland for those guys who think Mainland doesn't always play quality kids early and/or give them enough rep's.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT