ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Charlotte playing this week?

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
So I was out and about in the Charlotte county area today, and thought since I was seeing more than a few folks wearing Charlotte Tarpon attire......why not find out who the Tarpons were playing this week? Unfortunately I never was able to get a straight answer from anyone, and get this...............more than 6 were Charlotte high students as well as asking several adults....... one adult was actually a coach for another Tarpon sports program, but none knew who the Tarpons were taking on in football this week........what???????????

Now a couple knew the Tarpons lost last week, but only 1 (an adult), knew the Tarpons lost to Dunbar........ I was really starting to enjoy how this was going, so with the kids that identified as Charlotte high students I asked if any were taking a class in culinary arts? None were nor had any previously taken the class.......one young lady however indicated she had thought about it, but she heard the teacher had a bad reputation of requiring a awful lot of essays?????? I laughed out loud and question how culinary arts could in a class format generate enough material worthy of requiring assignment's in essay format? The young lady agreed and said it was enough to scare her away.

To be fair, I wouldn't be too surprised to find results like this at most any school.......but I had a good time with it and enjoyed the interaction with everyone!

Has a Manatee connection; It's the school that Joe Kinnan started coaching at - see if you can figure it out. And yes we do two essays every single week of the school year (amongst other things), so glad I have that reputation because most kids think they're coming into a class and baking cookies everyday, rather than get taught life skills) ! Essay 1) Three things they learned from my lecture (or any of the great stories I tell). So they learn stuff about Situational awareness, Vietnam, Alligators, Tarpon fishing, Stone crabbing, etc); and of course a Current event article they have to tell me about.

Last edited:
Like that, and yes i know the answer! I actually as a 7-9 year old saw that Cypress Lake team coached by kinnan in a spring jamboree at manatee......remember my dad telling me they were coached by a manatee alumni.

Reactions: Silver King
That just gave me an ephimy; Kennan never liked Charlotte.

They were playing us in the Fish Bowl his first season I thin it was, and their QB had the ball two possessions and had 14 points on the board in no time - amazing pin-point passer.

Third possession we had closed 14-7. First two passes he goes for two first downs, then at mid field our DC blitzes Burton Lawless from OLB.

Impact came just as he's letting the ball go. Burton Drilled him, ended up breaking the poor kid's jaw. Next possession I get out on a sweep, create a seem, our HB breaks outside and their MLB is trying to catch him from behind - I see a blur flash in front of me as Lawless (TE) hits him from the side and knocked him on to the track. They carried him off too. Rest of the game was all Tarpons.

So the next day in the Ft Myers Newspress, Kennan said they were cheap shots thin it ay have been the game headline. But both were clean I saw them both with eyes right on them, and the film showed it too. But that Sat morning everyone was talking about it, coaches were poised he said it. I'm sitting next to Burton during Film, he began questioning himself. He turns to me and asked , "D, you don't think I hit that guy late do ya?" I said, "Nah, it was clean Burton watch the film." Finally, we get to it and Goldsmith played it about 20 times. Clean hit.

After all this time, now I'm sure that's why when we beat the Brion Carnes/ Ace Sanders team in Manatee (my youngest son's Sr year) he refused to shake hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT