ADVERTISEMENT

What's your over/under for number of wins for Manatee HS this year based on this schedule?

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
The schedule isn't what I would deem Brutal, but its one I could easily see by the season's end, Manatee with 7 losses. (That would put Green squarely in Tommy Plaster territory in as far as coaching as a HBC) Right now they've posted a 9 game regular season, I'm going to assume the staff is still looking for a 10th game?

Saw a post where former Southeast grad and current Pro Brian Poole commented on what he noticed about Manatee after its shutout loss to Venice in the spring game, where he basically said players appeared to be more interested in snapping pics of each other in there Manatee Uniforms afterwards, then pissed at the way the team performed as a whole? I had someone closely associated to the Manatee football program, try to correct me when I had mentioned only 1 football player had qualified in weightlifting out of districts.....so he mentions about another player had in fact qualified for state. So I go check up on that, and discover that other player was at the 119lbs weight class, so I ask this individual how many battles in the trenches can we expect Manatee to win with 119 pounders.........and I got no response. Mean while Venice qualified at least 1 and on 2 occasions 2 players per weight class for the state weightlifting meet from heavyweight to 169lbs (that's six different weight classes), Sarasota Riverview had multiple state qualifiers as well. Manatee has 20 - 30+ players weighing 169 or more and only 1 qualified in that weight range out the district tournament............and he did not qualified for the state meet.
8/20 - Manatee at Tampa Bay Tech (Kickoff Classic)

8/27 – Manatee at Gulliver Prep

9/4 – Manatee at Lakeland

9/17 – Manatee at Palmetto

9/24 – Manatee at home against Kissimmee Osceola

10/8 – Manatee at Venice

10/15 – Manatee at Lennard

10/22 – Manatee at home against East Bay

10/29 – Manatee at home against Bloomingdale

11/15 – Manatee at Southeast

Silver,

So I'm going to say Manatee can reasonably expect to get wins against Lennard, East Bay and maybe Southeast........where do you see a 4th win from this schedule?

If you're saying 3 wins (9 or 10 games), I have to take the over.
I'll take the over too they should beat:

Gulliver (unless theirs an influx of transfers in the off-season
Lennard
East

Then Bloomingdale while had a great season could be a 1 hit wonder if all those kids transferred elsewhere which seems to be the thing in Hillsborough

Then SE I have no clue how good they are but it's a rivalry game so expect anything....

Reactions: Silver King
I'll take the over too they should beat:

Gulliver (unless theirs an influx of transfers in the off-season
Lennard
East

Then Bloomingdale while had a great season could be a 1 hit wonder if all those kids transferred elsewhere which seems to be the thing in Hillsborough

Then SE I have no clue how good they are but it's a rivalry game so expect anything....
Gulliver Prep was a team last year who's roster was dominated by Juniors and Sophomores. They played a 6 game schedule last year, losing only to Cardinal Gibbons 29-7. This year's schedule has the following teams on the schedule so far other then Manatee, Killian, and Miami Palmetto.......I'd say the Gulliver prep staff knows they have a team that can compete at a high level. Don't know much about Bloomingdale for this coming year and what if any additions or subtractions to the roster they may have encountered? Their roster last year was dominated by seniors too. SE took it to Manatee last year and beat Manatee at Manatee, the game will be the last regular season game. They lost a lot of senior leadership on defense, but have some key pieces returning on offense...........because this is a season finale for both teams, and because this a season the could go south for Manatee......this could be one that SE pulls out a "W" once again......

The schedule isn't what I would deem Brutal, but its one I could easily see by the season's end, Manatee with 7 losses. (That would put Green squarely in Tommy Plaster territory in as far as coaching as a HBC) Right now they've posted a 9 game regular season, I'm going to assume the staff is still looking for a 10th game?

Saw a post where former Southeast grad and current Pro Brian Poole commented on what he noticed about Manatee after its shutout loss to Venice in the spring game, where he basically said players appeared to be more interested in snapping pics of each other in there Manatee Uniforms afterwards, then pissed at the way the team performed as a whole? I had someone closely associated to the Manatee football program, try to correct me when I had mentioned only 1 football player had qualified in weightlifting out of districts.....so he mentions about another player had in fact qualified for state. So I go check up on that, and discover that other player was at the 119lbs weight class, so I ask this individual how many battles in the trenches can we expect Manatee to win with 119 pounders.........and I got no response. Mean while Venice qualified at least 1 and on 2 occasions 2 players per weight class for the state weightlifting meet from heavyweight to 169lbs (that's six different weight classes), Sarasota Riverview had multiple state qualifiers as well. Manatee has 20 - 30+ players weighing 169 or more and only 1 qualified in that weight range out the district tournament............and he did not qualified for the state meet.
8/20 - Manatee at Tampa Bay Tech (Kickoff Classic)

8/27 – Manatee at Gulliver Prep

9/4 – Manatee at Lakeland

9/17 – Manatee at Palmetto

9/24 – Manatee at home against Kissimmee Osceola

10/8 – Manatee at Venice

10/15 – Manatee at Lennard

10/22 – Manatee at home against East Bay

10/29 – Manatee at home against Bloomingdale

11/15 – Manatee at Southeast
Sounds like Hardee's spring game. The boys seemed focused on anything but the game.

I have them winning their last 4 games. They looked young and small at the Venice classic(maybe because of those grey uniforms). Their offense showed signs of life against Charlotte. I don't know how good Southeast is going to be.

The uniforms made them look like Ole Miss High. Not bad, not great. Sounds like their players liked them.

I have them winning their last 4 games. They looked young and small at the Venice classic(maybe because of those grey uniforms). Their offense showed signs of life against Charlotte. I don't know how good Southeast is going to be.

The uniforms made them look like Ole Miss High. Not bad, not great. Sounds like their players liked them.
Manatee 1st District title back in the 70's when Calvin Short was the HBC, home Uniforms consisted of Grey pants with a red strip, and Blue Jerseys white numerals, away uniforms same pants white jerseys red numerals.....I've always liked that combo.............the spring uniform combo is about as close as they come to matching that 70's uniform combo. The OL and WR's were all basically new starters, defensively not as many new starters but also missing some starters.

Its spring! Most of the teams will have a totally different look come fall. Look, Manatee has a lot of work to do and improving to do no doubt!! Green said he was going to play everyone who practiced and he did. Green also had to put together a staff and the kids were going through a coaching change and the emotions that go with that. Manatee will not be the same team come the fall. Having 3 starting OL out and several starters on defense not dressed is the norm for spring. Manatee has already received several transfers that will probably start in the fall. I would say 1/3 of the players that played will not see the field come August. Predicting the season off of spring is only good for when there is nothing else to talk about! Lets have this discussion after summer workouts and fall practice begins. We will then have a better feel tor all teams after the Kickoff Classic not just Manatee!

Oh....Manatee has a tenth game 10/1/21 against Clearwater Academy International at home.

Last edited:
Its spring! Most of the teams will have a totally different look come fall. Look, Manatee has a lot of work to do and improving to do no doubt!! Green said he was going to play everyone who practiced and he did. Green also had to put together a staff and the kids were going through a coaching change and the emotions that go with that. Manatee will not be the same team come the fall. Having 3 starting OL out and several starters on defense not dressed is the norm for spring. Manatee has already received several transfers that will probably start in the fall. I would say 1/3 of the players that played will not see the field come August. Predicting the season off of spring is only good for when there is nothing else to talk about! Lets have this discussion after summer workouts and fall practice begins. We will then have a better feel tor all teams after the Kickoff Classic not just Manatee!

Oh....Manatee has a tenth game 10/1/21 against Clearwater Academy International at home.
You're all caught up in the results of the Spring 1/2's against Charlotte HS and Venice and what I was looking for was potential indications that Green was going to be different kind of coach then what I saw in him as a OC, and unfortunately what I saw was more of the same......just now its on a team wide scale rather then just limited to the offense he over-saw as a OC. Wanna know how close Manatee was to going 0-2 in the Jamboree? I had a Charlotte fan send me a photo that was taken from a angle that appeared to show that the Charlotte WR had caught that last pass and had possession inside the end zone...(which would have given them the win). It was just a spring game, and was a bang bang type play that you couldn't have really blamed the officiating for missing one way or the other.......that's how close however Manatee was to going 0-2

I believe I mentioned in my post where I posted the results of the Jamboree, that Manatee was missing starters. You're indicating now between missing starters and transfers approximately 33 1/3% of fall starters, were missing from the spring jamboree..............okay I'll give you that, it doesn't however make up for what I see as unsatisfactory coaching for the up-coming season.

That kick-off classic against Tampa Bay Tech is a tuff draw. Tech returns 9 or 10 of its defensive starters, will be massive along its offensive line and returns the bulk of its skilled athletes.....they will be breaking in a new starter at QB however. The 10th game that was added against Clearwater Academy is a unknown for me, in the past they've fielded teams with some elite talent on it....(not to the scale of a STA, but is a game I wouldn't say is a sure thing for the win column for Manatee).....not sure what to expect from this game for the up-coming season at this point?

Its too bad at this point that Manatee from administrative standpoint, doesn't have someone leading it that is vested in the school. Mr. Choate was probably the last time Manatee had that, and he had a football back ground in as far as being a assistant under Wheeler Leath too. Mr. Choate's only bad hire during his tenure as Manatee's principle was Tommy Plaster, and Plaster didn't even last a year his only season as Manatee's HBC.....he followed up that hire with Bob James, and then Coach Kinnan..........It would be nice if that were the case once again, is why I was on board with the former trainer being the AD......but the new Principle brought her guy over from Braden River......which from a managerial standpoint I understand her mindset with that. I want to be wrong about this up-coming season........I just don't have any confidence what so ever in Green's ability as a coach or over-all leadership abilities to lead a program on the scale of Manatee HS. A 3 to 4 win season for me isn't really that far out of the realm of possibility next season..........dont be so quick if it comes to be, to be a immediate apologist for Green if it does.....like you did with your post above.

Well, what's new! We again just don't seem to agree with each other! I think Green is going to do a good job and everybody that supports Manatee is excited! The kids love him and he has many many connections that is going to and has already helped. He is already filling out his coaching staff with some experienced guys. Many of his old college dudes and coaches are already talking about supporting and even helping him out. Manatee has already gotten several transfer just from this. The dude knows football and just needs to put good people around him and I think he is doing that. But again its just spring and you already are starting off with negative opinions! He might not be the dude for the job, nobody knows. But he was by far the best person for the job! So give him time!
Remember it is just SPRING!! See you in the fall when we really have something to talk about!! Hope you have a great summer!! Go Canes!!

Well, what's new! We again just don't seem to agree with each other! I think Green is going to do a good job and everybody that supports Manatee is excited! The kids love him and he has many many connections that is going to and has already helped. He is already filling out his coaching staff with some experienced guys. Many of his old college dudes and coaches are already talking about supporting and even helping him out. Manatee has already gotten several transfer just from this. The dude knows football and just needs to put good people around him and I think he is doing that. But again its just spring and you already are starting off with negative opinions! He might not be the dude for the job, nobody knows. But he was by far the best person for the job! So give him time!
Remember it is just SPRING!! See you in the fall when we really have something to talk about!! Hope you have a great summer!! Go Canes!!
I'll repeat once again:

I just don't have any confidence what so ever in Green's ability as a coach or over-all leadership abilities to lead a program on the scale of Manatee HS. A 3 to 4 win season for me isn't really that far out of the realm of possibility next season..........dont be so quick if it comes to be, to be a immediate apologist for Green if it does.....like you did with your post above.

Damn, along with your score predictions, I'll never doubt you again. Even Mark Cannon was talking about you last night - I told him you're the new Gypsy Fortune Teller.

• Haha
Reactions: peezy28
I didn't go to the game last night and instead live streamed at home, so I could also catch the Venice/Riverview game too. Listening to Danny Carter and Chad Choate it was obvious Danny wants badly to question the coaching, but knows politically at this point what would happen if he did, while Chad is still in full blown apologist mode despite what he has seen unfold on the football field this season. Last night was a game Manatee should have won, if it had competent coaching.

I'm not a Gypsy Fortune Teller, but my friend from Georgia (Emmett), commented to me that he thought I had the uncanny ability of discernment, based on a number of things and subjects we had discussed over time.........lots I could point out from a observation point out from just this season, on why Green was a huge mistake as a head coach selection......but for me I saw plenty just from the previous 2 years as the Manatee OC that just cried out that he was ill equipped for that job, let alone the head coaching position. It also tells me much about those with direct over-sight authority that ultimately were involved with the decision to select Green. Chad indicated to me that Green was the best candidate of submitted resumes, but when he told me that 2 things stood out 1.) They were clearly only looking for someone with apparent experience and the fact Green was the best interested candidate with experience says much about the current drawing power of Manatee as football program 2.) Young assistants looking to take the next step up, never had a chance at honest consideration. That requires honest evaluation of resumes and doing perhaps lots of interviews, which I don't believe was ever really a consideration.......they were simply going through the motions of a process to select Green.....bottom line!

Reactions: Silver King
I didn't go to the game last night and instead live streamed at home, so I could also catch the Venice/Riverview game too. Listening to Danny Carter and Chad Choate it was obvious Danny wants badly to question the coaching, but knows politically at this point what would happen if he did, while Chad is still in full blown apologist mode despite what he has seen unfold on the football field this season. Last night was a game Manatee should have won, if it had competent coaching.

I'm not a Gypsy Fortune Teller, but my friend from Georgia (Emmett), commented to me that he thought I had the uncanny ability of discernment, based on a number of things and subjects we had discussed over time.........lots I could point out from a observation point out from just this season, on why Green was a huge mistake as a head coach selection......but for me I saw plenty just from the previous 2 years as the Manatee OC that just cried out that he was ill equipped for that job, let alone the head coaching position. It also tells me much about those with direct over-sight authority that ultimately were involved with the decision to select Green. Chad indicated to me that Green was the best candidate of submitted resumes, but when he told me that 2 things stood out 1.) They were clearly only looking for someone with apparent experience and the fact Green was the best interested candidate with experience says much about the current drawing power of Manatee as football program 2.) Young assistants looking to take the next step up, never had a chance at honest consideration. That requires honest evaluation of resumes and doing perhaps lots of interviews, which I don't believe was ever really a consideration.......they were simply going through the motions of a process to select Green.....bottom line!
rumor in sarasota county is you all could have hired the Palmetto OC and he would have brought kids and coaches with him. He interviewed for NP job and withdrew because he maybe had a shot at Manatee? Seems like that sort of move would have shifted the dynamic of manatee county football.

My sources are limited at best, the prior AD and I had a bit of a rapport and I speak occasionally to Chad Choate. Chad indicated to me that Green was the only truly qualified applicant, but as i also indicated above in hindsight I am beginning to feel that it was pretty much pre-determined to take Green and I seriously doubt any real resume evaluation and/or interviews were ever done......
The folks running the booster organization now, while there are a few good ones I feel on the whole its a bunch with a eschewed perception of the Manatee football program currently.......right now I'm fairly certain Green's excuse makers will give a pass for this year's cluster.

Last edited:
My sources are limited at best, the prior AD and I had a bit of a rapport and I speak ocassionally to Chad Choate. Chad indicated to me that Green was the only truly qualified applicant, but as i also indicated above in hindsight I am beginning to feel that it was pretty much pre-determined to take Green and I seriously doubt any real resume evaluation and/or interviews were ever done......
The folks running the booster organization now, while there are a few good ones I feel on the whole its a bunch with a eskewed preception of the Manatee football program currently.......right now im fraily certain Green's excuse makers will give a pass for this year cluster.
is this a "must-win" game for the staff?

To me the last 4 were must win games, primarily because they were all winnable games and if nothing else a statement on what if any steps of positive progression the team had made from the 1st of the season. Losing any of those should have been enough to close the book on Green as the Manatee head coach! Sadly it wont.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT