ADVERTISEMENT

What game are we going to this weekend (8/23)

MarkECannon

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2010
This will be a big weekend for high school football on ESPN. The ESPN Broward National Football Showcase will be at Brian Piccolo Stadium on the campus of St. Thomas Aquinas. It will include three games with Florida teams against out-of-state powerhouses. This showcase is being deemed as very early mythical high school national championship games. Here is the lineup:

Friday 7pm: Milton (Georgia) vs American Heritage Plantation on ESPN

Saturday 4pm: Bishop Gorman (Nevada) vs St Thomas Aquinas on ESPN

Saturday 8pm: St Don Bosco (California) vs Chaminade Madonna on ESPN2

I settled on Berkeley Prep @ Clearwater Central Catholic Friday night. I knew this was the big game of the week in the Tampa Bay Area but originally decided not to because the place is going to be a zoo with an overflow crowd. Armwood @ Gaither was the choice earlier in the week but I could. in the end, not attend a game with a last year’s state champion vs a last year’s state finalist. I’ve been to CCC three times the last 2 years. I’m going again. Maybe I should go ahead and buy a CCC shirt.

What game are you going to this weekend?

Wont bbe attending a game this week, as I have company, but will try to catch peeks of all 3 of these as opportunity allows. Going to take all of the out of state opponents over the Florida Schools.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Looks like IMG National team went down to Corner Canyon 35-34 last night. IMG made a decision to go for a TD rather then kick a sure FG in the 3rd QT and failed while leading 28-14. Corner Canyon rallied back to take a 35-28 lead late in the 4th QT. I noted through out the come back IMG pretty much stayed in zone coverage and the Corner Canyon QB made IMG pay dearly for it. IMG would score late and elect to go for 2 rather then kick the PAT and failed and is how you end up with final score 35-34.

Thompson AL (a Alabama power) also lost to Grayson, GA in Gwnnett County 15-14. Thompson could not manage any real offense the entire game, with its only points coming on a fumble returned for a TD in the 2nd half, Grayson scored its TD on its opening drive of the game and so the game ended 7-7 in regulation. In OT Thompson would score 1st and kick the PAT, Grayson got the ball scored a TD and was successful on the 2-point try to win the game.

Last edited:
Milton over Americsn Heritage, A lot more points scored in this one than what I suspected before the game was played. I actually thought these 2 teams were fairly evenly matched. Milton was however better able to take advantage of its opportunities. Number 1 for Milton I really liked, I could have sworn I thought I heard them say he was a TE?
Update: That TE for Milton, I looked him up. 4* TE committed to UGA

Manatee vs Lake Minneola was just about what I figured (57_19 I believe was the final). There were some serious breakdowns in Manatee's pass coverage that repeated themselves a number of times for 3 long TD's and number of other times the Lake Minneola QB wasn't able to connect with wide open receivers, that the Manatee defensive coaching staff will need to work to get corrected. Was encourage by the blocking I saw when Manatee ran between the tackles, but hard to get real excited just yet because of the quality of the opponent.

Last edited:
Gorman over STA 29-21. I felt like STA's play calling on offense was chaotic, in that it never allowed STA to develop a rhythm. Defensively I believe Im beginning to see a pattern, with how and when they bring pressure. Im surprised STA relies on what I feel is gymmick type defensive schemes, particularily when they typically have the better over-all talent? Felt also like the FHSAA officials allowed themselves at the end of the game to potentially influence a outcome, but the INT at the end of the game preserved the win for Gorman.

Last edited:
ST John's Bosco over Chaminade, I actually felt Chaminade was the better team and blame this one on the coaches for not being able to sense that and calling an appropriate game. As a side note I did call all 3 winners of these espn games, before they were played.

The big game I was most intrigued by, and haven't seen videos of yet is the Lakeland over Miami Central 16-8.

UPDATE: Found this 23 min clip, taken from the field level

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT