ADVERTISEMENT

Venice football - Tis Tis

I just read the article. So Peacock didn't actually text their player right? or am I reading this wrong? It starts by a North Port kid asking a Venice kid to have Peacock call him??? Am I missing something here?

No he didn't actually text him but he admittedly told his players to message him (I think it was Instragram) and tell them I said this... I mean he admitted his wrong doing... Whether he got duped or not is irrelevant (Sounds like he was duped by the kid though but he fell for it sooo)).

Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
I just read it again. He didn't tell his players to text or tell them to say anything. I think he apologized and said he was wrong because he did not report the text messages between the 2 kids. Handicapper read that article and tell me if that's what you get from it. I may be wrong. I've been wrong before.

This part sums it up for me:

"
In text messages to a player on his team, Peacock wrote, “Does he want to play ball in college? How many D1 players in the past 20 years has Nopo had? Answer 0. That kid is a stud though!! Imagine him J and Brown, look out!!!”

The FHSAA deemed that “may have encouraged instead of discouraged the representative of the school’s athletic interest to continue urging the student-athlete to change schools for football.”

He sent that to his kids... Which alone mean nothing but the fact that he "allegedly" knew they were in contact with the other kid can look like he was directing (or not discouraging) his kids from going after that kid. He was wrong... He should have shut it down immediately which I am sure he agrees with.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
I just read it again. He didn't tell his players to text or tell them to say anything. I think he apologized and said he was wrong because he did not report the text messages between the 2 kids. Handicapper read that article and tell me if that's what you get from it. I may be wrong. I've been wrong before.

I see the grey area you are you referring to but you can flip that the other way too. A coach would be expected to maintain responsibility to a degree in this case even if it means immediately addressing the matter with his AD asap.

I understand he apologized and " learned" from this but he did not come clean until another party reported the matter. In this case, possibly a more responsible party. He should have been the one that reported it from the get go rather then making "what if" comments about how great it could be. From what I gather he did not deny anything in the report.

Last edited:
I just read the article. So Peacock didn't actually text their player right? or am I reading this wrong? It starts by a North Port kid asking a Venice kid to have Peacock call him??? Am I missing something here?

Now if Roger Harriott and STA were in this exact scenario, would your opinion and rational be equivalent?

Whatever happened to the idea of taking your kids from your school, teaching, coaching, shaping molding and developing them into a well oiled machine...

High school football is not about "the next great move in/transfer/recruit" it's about player development...

Reactions: peezy28
Whatever happened to the idea of taking your kids from your school, teaching, coaching, shaping molding and developing them into a well oiled machine...

High school football is not about "the next great move in/transfer/recruit" it's about player development...

4A 8 Fan, you are so 90's, get with the times man!

Peacock is going to keep doing it but know he will have to be more discreet and not leave a trail with text messages. Until North Port gets some kind of stability they will lose their best players year in and year out.

Problem is even if that's true no way to prove it unless the kid flips and snitches on North Port coach
Wont happen he will be a senior next year and I'm betting will not want to jeopardize his playing time.
Funny as that same kid was complaining about how bad NP was after the Venice game last year. Its interesting how this has come about.

So if you don't win a championship every year your program is garbage? To each his own.
So if Venice had better coaching they would win a championship? I figure you would have to have a mix of a few things. Coaching, players and a bit of luck.

I don't think I said program was garbage, I said they won't win a championship under current coaching, anyone with equal or better talent can and will beat them in a playoff run. One simple example of this is how Venice adjusts to trips.... they don't. Watch film it's great. Manatee under Kinnan threw like 100 bubbles 2 on 3 with the high safety needing to run a long way to make the play- no adjustment. There are many such examples, they are a very talented always tough team that drinks too much Peacock coolaid. They will continue to be an area threat for years though. If Binky coached the Venice teams over the last 10 years he gets a Championship.[/QUOTE]

Defensive strategy is not my place to talk. I can watch tons of film but in the end its all about them having less at the final whistle.
I'm sure if other coaches had the reigns it could go either way. Im also sure that for Venice it takes a few things to make it all of the way. Coaches, players, and luck. Sometimes you only get 2 of the 3 needed.

I'm pretty sure it has to come from the coach's supplement/salary if he is an employee or paid coach if its a volunteer head coach I don't know.

Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
Wont happen he will be a senior next year and I'm betting will not want to jeopardize his playing time.
Funny as that same kid was complaining about how bad NP was after the Venice game last year. Its interesting how this has come about.

Peacock had a lapse in judgement on many levels then... I am assuming he knows "about" this kid as well being from the same area when his players started asking or inquiring in his name that should have been a red flag.

Peacock had a lapse in judgement on many levels then... I am assuming he knows "about" this kid as well being from the same area when his players started asking or inquiring in his name that should have been a red flag.
He personally might not know him but I do I and see your point.

I'm pretty sure it has to come from the coach's supplement/salary if he is an employee or paid coach if its a volunteer head coach I don't know.
If that's the case and it comes from his supplement he will be coaching 2018 for basically free.

Peacock is going to keep doing it but know he will have to be more discreet and not leave a trail with text messages. Until North Port gets some kind of stability they will lose their best players year in and year out.
The stability they need comes from community. The support needed from that community is a tough sell. Coaches who have been through there will tell you things need to change from the top down. Spoke to one coach and he wanted the job to turn it around and he was let go in favor of a guy who spent like 30 days on the job and left.

The ideas are out there if they will go looking.

This just makes you understand how good STA is at it. When a program has been doing it for decades, they know the fine details like not incriminating themselves in a text.

Again, I admire STA, their staff and players - they compete and the FHSAA seems to let them do it their way. But, some of the STA faithful based on three that have been on this site over the past 15 years seem like a pretty vindictive group - Napoleon complex types living vicariously through that team. STA also carries a lot of weight in Broward, has the NFL contingent of former Dolphins. I'm guessing a lot of Broward teams don't want to take the chance and start a war with them like North Port and Venice by reporting them ;).

I understand NP's frustration; Charlotte got thumped by Ft Myers for damn near half a century, But it seems if they put as much effort into the community and hiring a coach, they may have kept some of those players and been competitive. That's how we did it and eventually turned the corner by worrying about ourselves, not what other teams were doing. Charlotte beat Venice in the only playoff game they've ever had a few years ago, and has fairly dominated Ft Myears the last 15 years or so, including beating them in the Region this year. Only way to get respect from an opponent.

The FHSAA opened up free agency, and now they enforce this - priceless. Then again, it's not like it cost Venice any games or playoffs, the coach will be there on the sidelines and Venice will be one of the best teams in the area and life will go on next season. I wonder if NP brought up the discrepancy between FHSAA rulings on the team brawls STA got and NP's 5 suspensions in the Braden River brawl.

Last edited:
This just makes you understand how good STA is at it. When a program has been doing it for decades, they know the fine details like not incriminating themselves in a text.

Again, I admire STA, their staff and players - they compete and the FHSAA seems to let them do it their way. But, some of the STA faithful based on three that have been on this site over the past 15 years seem like a pretty vindictive group - Napoleon complex types living vicariously through that team. STA also carries a lot of weight in Broward, has the NFL contingent of former Dolphins. I'm guessing a lot of Broward teams don't want to take the chance and start a war with them like North Port and Venice by reporting them ;).

I understand NP's frustration; Charlotte got thumped by Ft Myers for damn near half a century, But it seems if they put as much effort into the community and hiring a coach, they may have kept some of those players and been competitive. That's how we did it and eventually turned the corner by worrying about ourselves, not what other teams were doing. Charlotte beat Venice in the only playoff game they've ever had a few years ago, and has fairly dominated Ft Myears the last 15 years or so, including beating them in the Region this year. Only way to get respect from an opponent.

The FHSAA opened up free agency, and now they enforce this - priceless. Then again, it's not like it cost Venice any games or playoffs, the coach will be there on the sidelines and Venice will be one of the best teams in the area and life will go on next season. I wonder if NP brought up the discrepancy between FHSAA rulings on the team brawls STA got and NP's 5 suspensions in the Braden River brawl.

Excellent point form the fight between NP and Braden River in which both teams had kids ejected for 5 game min.
Problem is that was during regular season and FHSAA had time to deal punishment.

STA had it during playoffs and only 1 game. In either case STA was and is loaded so a even if they had multiple game suspensions neither Venice or Plant was on that level for last year. I'm sure it will be the same for the foreseeable future.

The Bellamy "knee down" not "down" is still a knife in Venice still talked about.

Private schools have home visits and text and phone kids from other schools all the time what is the difference than what Venice did?

If that's happening it needs to be reported .... that's the difference it was reported

Private schools have home visits and text and phone kids from other schools all the time what is the difference than what Venice did?

All communication to private schools must be initiated by the parents of the student.

Coaches cannot communicate initially nor pass messages along through third parties.

At the end of the day, Peacock is a great coach. His teams are very disciplined, and coached up well. All Venice needs is more overall team speed/more skill guys to compete with teams deep in the playoffs.

Like you just said Handicapper contact needs to be initiated by the student athletes parents had the NP kid been talking to an STA player over text, social media whatever and the STA player told him to talk to the coach or tell his parents to initiate the contact with the school would that be a violation?

Like you just said Handicapper contact needs to be initiated by the student athletes parents had the NP kid been talking to an STA player over text, social media whatever and the STA player told him to talk to the coach or tell his parents to initiate the contact with the school would that be a violation?

I am not the FHSAA and do not make rulings, but based on what you are describing, I would say it would be addressed. Why do you choose STA roake such examples? Why not Venice that has proven track record of such scenarios?
Do the facts and truth hurt so much that some STA prefer to go to a fantasy land , create lies, hearsay and other negative fantasies about opponents to make themselves feel better? Is it that reassuring?

Accept the fact that the SRQ generally does not have the athletes to compete with many state powers and the population does not help either.

Is it worth risking violations with the FHSAA for players that in many cases would not even make the roster of some state powers?

Work with what you got , improve coaching and go from there. Venice is not the only team in the state that is very challenged and overwhelmed by other state powers in their classifications or even districts. Life goes on...

What I do know is that if such a case is investigated by the FHSAA it probably does not help to have recent violations of:

A student/athlete falsifying their address to gain eligibility for football.

Other students and coaches providing housing and impermissible perks and benefits.

A Venice High Rep sending recruiting text messages in nature to a student enrolled at another High School.

Here are more details from the local Venice newspaper if you missed this story a few years back. Was Peacock at Venice when this went down, or is the trend just a "Venice" thing and that is why most schools in the area are not so fond of them?

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20101116/venice-high-fined-forfeit-2009-games

Are the facts above and in the related story correct?
But it is still more sensible to point and reference recruiting accusations at other schools with what you want to believe rather than at Venice with multiple facts, right?

Like I said, I won't be surprised if the trend unfortunately continues and the hand gets caught in the cookie jar again...

Last edited:
Ok no more STA talk because the first thing you always seem to do is defend them... If (Insert private school) had the same form of contact with the student trying to get in touch with their coach would it be a violation? That's all I am asking also just out of curiosity how much does it cost to go to school at STA?

Ok no more STA talk because the first thing you always seem to do is defend them... If (Insert private school) had the same form of contact with the student trying to get in touch with their coach would it be a violation? That's all I am asking also just out of curiosity how much does it cost to go to school at STA?
Ask the FHSAA on your first question, and I believe STA is around 8-11 K depending if you are part of the church or not.

Do you understand what a jack-ass you look like ASSUMING another school is committing violations that your own school has a proven track record for such violations.

Answer this question for me please without bringing up another school...

Does Venice football have a history of cheating with falsifying housing and recruiting players?

Spit the Kool-Aid out!

That's a lot of scratch for a high school education... all of these stud players families have that kind of money to send them to go there? Same with other private schools are there a list of scholarships that students can receive to go there? As in the "He's a really good football player so he can come here for free scholarship" I'm just asking and if you had that ability why would you not take advantage I don't blame them or any other private school its the FHSAA that I've got the issue with.

I'm not assuming anything you've expressed on message boards multiple times that yes STA does indeed recruit I'm not a Venice guy idc what they do but I am sticking up for public schools that will get fined and have their reputation dragged through the mud for such violations and bringing a kid to a private school based on a "scholarship" or "grant" whatever you want to call it is looked at like they're this great school that is doing charitable work.

I'm not assuming anything you've expressed on message boards multiple times that yes STA does indeed recruit I'm not a Venice guy idc what they do but I am sticking up for public schools that will get fined and have their reputation dragged through the mud for such violations and bringing a kid to a private school based on a "scholarship" or "grant" whatever you want to call it is looked at like they're this great school that is doing charitable work.

The World vs. Venice!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT