ADVERTISEMENT

University of West Florida Finally Playing Football Today

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
Long time residents of the panhandle have wished and hope for some college football. There wasn't a college team for 150 miles (FSU) then 100 miles (South Alabama). Now, college football can be seen in Pensacola. Not only does this bring college football to the area, but, it also helps get college scholarships for more players from the area. Most athletes could not take advantage of scholarships to Division II schools in Alabama because the tuition costs. Intelligent athletes can use Bright Futures Scholarships and football scholarships to play at Division II schools in Florida for free!

Best of all, they are playing down south at Ave Maria today. I think I'll drive the 25 miles to cheer both new teams on!

That's just great, wish those opportunites existed when us lower level Fl players had to go thousands of miles away to play. We have a couple of guys playing at Ave Maria.

I remember my senior year, St Mary of the Plains vs Bethel College; two ranked, undefeated NAIA teams got together and there were 11 Florida guys from Charlotte, Belle Glade or Pahokee on the field.

Although, if I would have had more fun than going to Dodge City with the crew I was with, it would have killed me!

Correction, Ave Maria has been playing football since 2011 according to their website. I've lived here over a year and never heard the local sports announcers talk about them but FGCU is often mentioned.

... wish those opportunities existed when us lower level Fl players had to go thousands of miles away to play.
Maybe SK say he were a lower level player, but, based on them outfits he wore back in mid-70's, he musta been a major league playa.

One day SK will find a pic and share it with you. He was flying out to report for his sophomore year, and flew to Illinois to drive out with the other tackle. He struck quite the pose, decked out in a green stripped golf shirt, a green plaid sports coat, green plaid elephant bells, green plaid (size 13 $7) platform shoes (When SK bought them at a Ft Lauderdale shoe store, the owner said, "Thank god I didn't think I'd ever get rid of those." Think they'd been on the shelf since the Beatles Yellow Submarine). SK turned heads at the connection in Atlanta Airport like he was the bass player for Dr Hook and the Medicine Show. His buddy's mom was caught quite by surprise when he landed in Chicago, necessitating SK to immediately go into his Eddie Haskel routine.

Oh, we want to see that.

I'm headed out to watch the Gyrenes play the Argonauts. Doesn't sound like football teams, does it. I can't wait!

Reactions: Silver King
Roller Hockey teams; my old boss Tom Monaghan (ran his yacht for most of a decade) who opened Ava Maria was a Marine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT