ADVERTISEMENT

UCF in the Big12?

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
Seems their president made a plea to join this conference. I guess they didn't want to compete in the ACC or SEC. I wonder why?
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ersity-central-florida-makes-case-join-big-12

I think it's ridiculous for conferences to have teams all over the country. All it does is raise the cost of playing sports. Travel costs triple.

The original idea of conferences was to play teams nearby and build rivalries. The Southeastern Conference schools are so close that they could travel by bus but I'm sure they now use planes to get to most games. It's a whole lot further to go from Orlando to Omaha than to go from Tuscaloosa to Auburn or Oxford or Starkville or Nashville. The only SEC teams any distance away are Florida, Texas A&M, and Missouri.

They say players don't enough money and their parents can't go to all the games. But, when all the away games are 1000 miles away, do I need to pay more to send my kids to UCF to pay for it? Or, do we all need to pay more for the products advertised during a UCF football broadcast because they are in the Big 12? Oh, I forgot, all the Big 12 money goes to Texas!

Even the pro sports leagues group their teams by regions (although they could do a little better job). Why would a college conference have teams all over the country? The Big 12 would only consider adding UCF if it meant getting better access to the Florida recruiting pool. There's no other reason to add them.

They need to add two, and west Virginia is on the east coast.

Also the sec east has Missouri? Wtf

They would be better off inviting USF, yes I'm biased. However, there was a recent article showing many different categories (academics, endowment, research grants, patents, athletics, etc.) and USF makes a much stronger statement across the board than UCF does. I'll will see if I can go dig that article up from a few months back.

Seems their president made a plea to join this conference. I guess they didn't want to compete in the ACC or SEC. I wonder why?
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ersity-central-florida-makes-case-join-big-12

I think it's ridiculous for conferences to have teams all over the country. All it does is raise the cost of playing sports. Travel costs triple.

The original idea of conferences was to play teams nearby and build rivalries. The Southeastern Conference schools are so close that they could travel by bus but I'm sure they now use planes to get to most games. It's a whole lot further to go from Orlando to Omaha than to go from Tuscaloosa to Auburn or Oxford or Starkville or Nashville. The only SEC teams any distance away are Florida, Texas A&M, and Missouri.

ACC and SEC didn't want UCF that would be the reason why. The big 12 needs another team to get a conference championship game.

1 thing UCF has that USF doesn't is a conference championship and a BCS Bowl game/Victory... Not that, that is all they need just saying perhaps USF wants to try to dominate where they are 1st as moving on to the big boys could be a death sentence to them (to UCF too).

The ACC already has two teams in Florida and Orlando would be way too close to Gainesville for recruiting. I would like to see FSU or Miami join the SEC and UCF go to the ACC. But, they are now in the AAC. Isn't that good enough?

The ACC already has two teams in Florida and Orlando would be way too close to Gainesville for recruiting. I would like to see FSU or Miami join the SEC and UCF go to the ACC. But, they are now in the AAC. Isn't that good enough?
The SEC would have to drop 2 schools its already too big.

I expect the NCAA to go to 5 or 6 super conferences in the near future. There would be 16 teams each. That would make an opening for FSU or Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT