ADVERTISEMENT

Two More Manatee Players Going To Jail...

Dont feel this speaks to the program and/or some greater underlying issue with the Manatee football program.......I'm telling you..... stuff went on when Joe was running the program going back to the early 80's when Joe 1st arrived. Things just never seemed to reach the criminal level like we've seen the last few years. There again when I went to Manatee, we never had a permanant law enforcement person(s) on campus either.......something Im sure most high schools didnt have either yet its accepted as no big deal at every HS campus today?

Parenting or the lack there of seems to be at the root of most of this with the young people, along with a general acceptance of what to me appears to be the decline of social mores in today;s modern society.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: riverrat1961
Dont feel this speaks to the program and/or some greater underlying issue with the Manatee football program.......I'm telling you..... stuff went on when Joe was running the program going back to the early 80's when Joe 1st arrived. Things just never seemed to reach the criminal level like we've seen the last few years. There again when I went to Manatee, we never had a permanant law enforcement person(s) on campus either.......something Im sure most high schools didnt have either yet its accepted as no big deal at every HS campus today?

Parenting or the lack there of seems to be at the root of most of this with the young people, along with a general acceptance of what to me appears to be the decline of social mores in today;s modern society.

Go Canes Go!

There also wasn't such thing as social media back in the 80's when Joe first got there. Nowadays, sooner or later, everything comes to light. So if you don't want people knowing any of your business and you don't want to suffer repercussions, best to just keep to yourself. Had this happen when I was in high school to a couple teammates as well (but this was when social media was in its infancy), and it has hampered their lives since. It's an issue that sometimes high school kids are blind to because they figure they are still in high school, but once you hit 18... all bets are off. I hope they don't land in hot water just for 'being teenagers', but they are in fact and in the eyes of the law in state, adults engaging in acts with a minor at that point. It may not be a reflection of the program, just crazy that it's all coming to light almost at once.

Good luck to the rest of the program moving forward.

As a preface, when it comes to Manatee HS, Nu'Trelle is like most people in Florida - on the outside looking in. That said, it's hard to keep track of exactly how many people associated with the football program over the past several years have either been (1) called to accountability for personal shortcomings or (2) actually arrested and charged.

While an occasional hiccup or two might be found at any HS in the greater Bradenton/Sarasota area, the question that weighs heavily on many people's mind is this: Is the spate of incidents involving Manatee coaches and players over the past several years a mere coincidence or is the program somehow attracting an inordinately high number of rogue individuals?

Not trying to be a smarty britches or sumthin but it seems to have started when mom went to work and divorce rates started to climb. A working mom just doesn't have as much time to spend with the kids like they need and dads are dropping the ball or just wanting to be more like best friends. That is why coaches are soooo important for these players.

If that's the explanation, then you have to also include the fact that many young men today are growing up without a father figure at all. I have three sons, and though they are all great kids, I know that if their father isn't around, the two older ones tend to test me a little more. I believe that many single mothers have a hard time corralling their wayward sons. It's a tough job to do by yourself.

To Cat_Scratch and MustangMom: Good points all, but there is undoubtedly a percentage of missing fathers and go-to-work moms in households throughout the Bradenton/Sarasota metro area. Maybe the percentage is somewhat higher at Manatee HS, but could those factors alone explain the rash of problems they've experienced?

Nu'Trelle was wondering if the following index might prove insightful: What percentage of Manatee players who have afoul of the law have at least one parent or sibling who has been - or is now - incarcerated for the commission of a crime?

Disclaimer: The question is strictly rhetorical and was posed solely for purposes of discussion. Nu'Trelle aint askin anyone to provide anything even remotely specific on a message board.

Last edited:
After they get out of the big jailhouse they will most likely visit the place on HWY 70, about 7 miles east of Arcadia, where they lock up people like this and then lose the key...

Gatorman, I sure hope it isn't "some greater underlying issue," but while Manatee has had a few arrests for other things typical of high school aged kids, what's bothersome (and you usually don't look at things from rose colored glasses) from this recent string for me, is what rattled the old kingdom. People remember it started with an Asst. Coach involved in a sexual assault case and allegations it had gone on for years and an attempted cover-up. Before the ink was dry on that, a similar sexual issue occurred with the Q, and now it's happened again with these two. These sex offenses are beginning to run like an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. If I was the Superintendent, think I'd - at the very least -cover my bases with some very targeted sensitivity training.

It certainly appears that when you look at just the frequency an issue occurs involving someone involved with the football program, it would cause even the casual observer to want to take a longer and slower look. With the stuff that went on under Joe's watch before he was forced to leave, my take was that the man that had taken the program to its greatest hieghts, had gotten too old and complacent to control/manage the riff raff that had begun to seep in.

When I say things went on among the players even during Joe's early tenure at Manatee, I say that because I have 1st hand knowledge of the things that went on. They were always however dealt with, within with the school system, nothing ever made the paper or the media in general. I saw D-1 players get caught on campus engaging in sexual acts and only miss a game, I saw starting players fighting coaches during the week leading up to a semi-final playoff game and Joe remove the player from the team. They were a number of instances where starting players were kicked off the team, for reasons that for most remained completely unknown. Joe during that time didnt take any kind of crap, but then I also heard stories about players smoking pot on the bus on the way to a playoff game.

Kids have been having sex particularly during their HS years forever, but like cat scratch indicated there wasnt a social media or recording capabilities back then like we have today. There have always been bad cops but the ability to flim something in a instance has just enabled society to more readily bring this fact to light. Perhaps that best illustrates this point?

I dont know how you control behavior of the student athelete away from school? My thought is that you establish a hard line on a code of ethics for these young people on and away from the HS campus. When someone steps over that line, there has to either be some sort of accepted coorective action depending on the type of infraction......which in some instances could lead to complete removal from the ability to participate or repersent Manatee HS. The program has to do something at this point to establish that as program and/or as a participant in the football program behavior that violates a set ethical code of conduct means certain corrective action and/or immediate removal from the program.

Go Canes Go!

This is one of those kind of laws that over punishes people.

There is a reason the law is in place, so people don't get taken advantage of. An 18 year can make choices a lot easier than a 15 year old. Don't get me wrong it was written it was consensual but that doesn't give an 18 year, mainly TWO of them to act out like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT