ADVERTISEMENT

Think Charlotte may sneak into the playoffs; Beat PC on FG as time ran out

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
After graduating 23 seniors last year, the Tarpons weren’t up to their 10 game pace of recent seasons. SK doesn’t post weekly scores unless he feels the team is playoff caliber. But this was an intriguing game and may have backed Charlotte into the playoffs as District runner up at 4-1.

The PC Coach, after his loss to North Ft Myers immediately said they’d see the Red Knights again in the playoffs. The PC QB guaranteed a win tonight. Neither proved any good at predictions.

The Charlotte QB, who came over from PC in the summer after seeing he wouldn’t get a chance to start, said of this game, “I just want to show them they made a mistake by not playing me.” He proved very good at predicting.

The Pirates came into the Fish Bowl cocky, flags flying. Like last year, they led at half, 14-7. They were a little undisciplined and had the ref's flags flying with personal fouls, including an unsportsmanlike, after their last score to tie the game at 21-21. Marked off on the kick-off, Charlotte got a good return then our Q hit a bomb down to the 10. Timeout with 2 secs left, and the Tarps hit the FG for the 24-21 win.

It got a little ugly on their sideline with pushing and shoving. One of our coaches trying to keep players back, caught a punch. Their staff decided to forgo the handshake and got them over to their endzone. They looked like a couple of their players were fighting amongst themselves. A shame, because it was really a great game between two evenly matched teams.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
4-1 better get you guys in the playoffs hopefully but then again what is their overall record because nondistrict teams counts towards a lot of points… Also there are no runner ups anymore like previous years…

Going by what the paper said, 5-3 - we were 10th on the list PC was 9th. But I think this rule was put in because Port Charlotte made the playoffs years ago with a 3-7 record in a 3-team district. There were 8-2 teams in the area that didn't go.

Reactions: Wavebb
FHSAA site would have Charlotte the 8th seed.

If you win your district you are one of the top 4 seeds. Then after that comes the second place teams. You can have a district that only has one team, the DC, but another district with 3 teams it all just depends how many points the non district teams has.

Yeah, I think we have to win against Palmetto, and that may be tough, Port Charlotte plays a 1-9 team, so they may still have a chance.

Yeah, I think we have to win against Palmetto, and that may be tough, Port Charlotte plays a 1-9 team, so they may still have a chance.

Not sure about how Charlotte matches up with Palmetto but a good scheme and you can win that game. Defense is their strength. Return 9 starters from last year. Running the ball traditionally between tackles can be tough.

Reactions: Silver King
This is the first year in 10 Charlotte hasn't had a D-1 back, from Bellamy starting as a freshman in 2007 (Coffee break at Clemson where his first NCAA touch was a 75 yd TD run, then to a JC where his first touch was a 65 yd TD) to Maleek Williams 2016 (at Arkansas). Last year we ran the ball very well against them. We've had a kid emerge and our O-line has gotten pretty solid, so at least the Tarps have a chance.

Well I guess when the well runs dry( I.e. kids from Desoto) Charlotte has an off season. Bellamy and Lump(solid kid on the oline) are both from K-town just to name a few. The Harvey boys are as well, but don’t feel bad PC’s ball handlers Campbell and Luther are both also from DeSoto. If Desoto ever figures out how to stop the flow south it might be North Fort Myers and then everyone else in the district.

Well I guess when the well runs dry( I.e. kids from Desoto) Charlotte has an off season. Bellamy and Lump(solid kid on the oline) are both from K-town just to name a few. The Harvey boys are as well, but don’t feel bad PC’s ball handlers Campbell and Luther are both also from DeSoto. If Desoto ever figures out how to stop the flow south it might be North Fort Myers and then everyone else in the district.

First steps are to establish tradition and stability and success will follow. Community support and the facilities might be factors as well.

Charlotte has one of the longest tenured coaches in the area. That stability alone pays dividends.

First steps are to establish tradition and stability and success will follow. Community support and the facilities might be factors as well.

Charlotte has one of the longest tenured coaches in the area. That stability alone pays dividends.

All very much true.

SK, it will come down to Clearwater winning or losing to East Lake this year... Win and Clearwater is in with a round 1 rematch with Largo.

Well I guess when the well runs dry( I.e. kids from Desoto) Charlotte has an off season.

Yeah that's it, how do you explain last year's team that won the region that grew up playing Pop Warner together.? And Bellamy wasn't from Arcadia - he moved from Orlando to Nocatee, his uncle played at Charlotte. But the reason he came here was Charlotte had a special needs program he needed, Desoto didn't. He was an unknown as an athlete and Charlotte didn't play him at RB till half way through his first season. The few kids who have come from Desoto, were developed and learned to win not there, but in this program.

Charlotte would love to get back on the schedule because we started playing Desoto in the 1920s, but they won't play us.

Charlotte is at capacity now with 2,000 students and the district closed enrollment. There are lots of just plain old students who left Desoto because their parents don't want to send them to D schools. That has no stoped - they can follow the athletes to PC if they want to, but not Charlotte.

Port Charlotte has only 1500 students - and for years has gotten most of Desoto's football players because they had an x Desoto coach.

Fix your schools and program then you can complain.

Last edited:
SK, it will come down to Clearwater winning or losing to East Lake this year... Win and Clearwater is in with a round 1 rematch with Largo.

We'll see. If by some miracle we get to meet and its up there you host dinner this year!! The Tarps played the best complete game they have all year Friday. They played very good first halves against FM (Led) and NFM (Dominated time of possession but threw a bad pic in the redzone, had two blocked FGs, one returned, and lost two pooch kicks).

Well you explain last years pop warner team as just that a pop warner team. I thought this was a high school football forum not flapopwarner.com...my bad. And last time I looked Nocatee was in Desoto county but maybe I missed the news when it was incorporated into Charlotte County. Bottom line is Charlotte and PC have benefitted greatly over the years because of Desoto’s short comings on the field and off. Just don’t brag about doing it with your own kids, please don’t insult the rest of us out here in the sticks. And yes the school “technically” is closed, but if you are the right kid you can get in, want names I can provide. Charlotte is a good school believe me I get it, but without the Desoto kids(Nocatee included) Charlotte’s success would be different, you know it and we hillbillies all know it.

OK you're one of the old Desoto guys who Morphed, we've missed you since the Marcus Shaw days.

Same old tired broken record of being the football victim and its eveyone's else fault, just a new morph.

And by the way, Port Charlotte has had a steady flow of Desoto players the last five years or so, and a coach from there. That hasn't helped them win a district title yet, so don't flatter yourself.

That must be one hell of a pop warner feeder program y’all got going on!!! Oh yeah I almost forgot yall’s pop warner president knows Desoto’s real well!! If you know him ask him, it will make for a great conversation.

I have no clue who or what you're talking about and from your comments and misinformation, obviously neither do you. Your did just point out that this was a Varsity board didn't you then you run some PW stuff out? Isn't there some other message board you can bring your Desoto whinning too? And real classy coming back as a morph.

Last edited:
Sorry I’m from the sticks. I will next time. Thanks for the heads up though.

We'll see. If by some miracle we get to meet and its up there you host dinner this year!! The Tarps played the best complete game they have all year Friday. They played very good first halves against FM (Led) and NFM (Dominated time of possession but threw a bad pic in the redzone, had two blocked FGs, one returned, and lost two pooch kicks).

With the point system there really is no we'll see... Our coach is diabolical after losing the district title dude was probably up all night doing every calculation possible and figured out all the results. What he showed me was simple... Win and were in which I believe pushes your district runner up out.

Our paper and TV have been all over the place. After Friday's games I guess we'll know one way or another.

I haven't paid attention so I am not sure who is winning your district but trust me when I tell you Donny probably built a model that can calculate points for the whole state. He is very efficient and hates surprises so I am sure he has his point total figured out a long with everyone else in his region.

NFM District Champ 5-0 (8-0)
Charlotte District Runner up 4-1 (5-3)
PC 3-2 (6-2)

Because of Weather PC and Charlotte will only get in the minimum 8 games, think NFM will get in 9

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT