The gauntlet begins for DP

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
Next 4 weeks:
@ West Orange (2-0) - Formidable QB-WR duo
Apopka (2-0) - Averaging +300 rushing
Mainland (2-0) - Offense has been solid
Oak Ridge (2-0) - Sleeper in 8A

West Orange and DP renew the Orange Crate game, which was discontinued after 1987-2010. Should be a great game. DP formed in 1987 by splitting the West Orange, Evans (then a powerhouse) and Oak Ridge zones... THIS IS A HUGE RIVALRY AND THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A HIGHER PROFILE ORANGE CRATE GAME! Woody Barrett and Eddie McDoom will test the DP secondary (2 D1 juniors and 3 D1 sophomores).

APK fans, I think it'll be a great game.

Dan, can't wait for DP-Mainland.

Lake Mary is a completely different team with their starting QB back. They gave DP a big scare but (I have to say) most of DP's huge plays (including an Alvin Bryant long TD that was broken for a score 0.5 seconds after the snap) went back. It was very frustrating. Lake Mary brings a great crowd, but DP was able to prevail 27-17. While the Rams are 0-2 (also lost to Bolles) they will contend for the elite 8 spot against Apopka or West Orange in region 1. Lake Brantley, DeLand and Orange City University are other teams to watch.

ALSO: IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE
I will be doing a major recap of the action through week three on FV next week. I've had a gauntlet of my own at work... That article will be huge. I will key on the 7-county CFLA region but will also focus on the big picture and major statewide foes, by classification, as compared to our region.

My ranking would be
1) Mainland
2) Apopka
3) Cocoa
4) Dr. Phillips
5) West Orange
6) Osceola
7) Bishop Moore
8) Oak Ridge

You could make a case that all of these teams are Florida Top 25 material.

Last edited:
Next 4 weeks:
@ West Orange (2-0) - Formidable QB-WR duo
Apopka (2-0) - Averaging +300 rushing
Mainland (2-0) - Offense has been solid
Oak Ridge (2-0) - Sleeper in 8A

MID, Dr. Phillips faces its acid test dead ahead. Win all four and your team will have made its point. Lose all four and most non-Dp. fans will write you off as an overrated team. My guess is that you go somewhere between 3-1 and 1-3 against the above teams. 3-1 or even 2-2 is not a cause for great concern.

This Apopka team has an overall better defense than 2012 to 2014, particularly in coverage, but also against the run in my opinion. However, the offense, in particular the passing game, is not as good. If Dp. can score 21 or more, I would have to favor them against Apk. However, 21 or more is not assured.

DISCLAIMER: DP FANS, STOP READING

I agree. There are a ton of underclassmen that will keep DP in the game. The offense has been inconsistent with penalties. The QB is gifted but overthrew a couple of wide open, streaking receivers against Lake Mary. A lot of that was due to the game's momentum. While DP was up 21-7, Lake Mary was never out. Their fan base is incredible. No wonder they went 11-1 last year.

West Orange - Pick'em. I don't care if West Orange is not nationally ranked. This will be a battle.

As long as DP is in the playoffs, the Dream is still alive. If they go 10-0 I'd be amazed and they would deserve a top 10 ranking (nationally) IMO. However, with the opponents ahead, that is a bit of a stretch. I'm just thankful that - no matter what happens - THERE IS ALWAYS A GAME NEXT WEEK. Looking forward to it!

Here is the Lake Mary student section... they were very loud.

Photo: West Orange Times
DSC_9094.jpg

Nice input, as always! The pattern of irrelevance continues...
Dude, walking just one day in your shoes seems like it would be a real chore. Nu'Trelle's best advice to you: (1) Take yourself and your opinions a whole lot less seriously, (2) do something - ANYTHING - to somehow beg, borrow, or steal a sense of humor.

Watching a game at Lake Mary is one of the better high school football experiences. Saw them beat Spruce Creek last year in front of a huge home crowd last year. Was glad we did not have to play a third round game at their house.

Mid, Nutrelle is a funny guy. Besides he likes a good wager. If DP makes the final, you could lift a few dollars off him if you like your team's chances.

mid is West Orange ahead of us because they play DP this week or is it based off the game 3 weeks ago?

HAHAHA!!!! "DPHS" I see Cocoa, DP, West Orange and Osceola as even at this point.... CENTRAL FLORIDA IS ELITE!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT