ADVERTISEMENT

The game you remember the most

swett2victory

Aug 28, 2010
Cocoa Beach
1480831199439.gif

It was a very chilly afternoon in Daytona Beach ( 1996 ) with underdog Bartow playing nationally ranked and D-1 loaded Jacksonville Bolles for a Florida football championship. On Bolle's first possession they drive the ball right down the field and end up inside the Bartow 10 yd line. QB runs the ball and doesn't get up..... Broken Ankle. Bartow plays great "D" the rest of the way and holds on for an unexpectedly close upset (14-13 ). Saw the game with the son of my wife's cousin who was on Christmas break from FSU's ROTC program. Now 20+ yrs later he has returned to Florida ( at Jacksonville's Mayport ) as an Army Commander - Lieutenant Colonel Treyan Mashack. Shoutout to all of our men and women in uniform, current or retired, living or passed on. Dan- 3/2 ACR, How Btry, Amberg, Germany

Last edited:
Charlotte vs Palmetto at the Fish Bowl, October 2009.

First Breast Cancer Awareness game 2009 season. My youngest is a Sr. TE/Slot for the Tarpons. My wife had been battling breast cancer for 14 years and going through yet another course of chemo. One of our boosters got the team pink socks, and somehow finds a pair of pink gloves (everyone has them now, but that was the only pair on the field that first year). He wrote "Mom" on both of them.

Before the game, my son and his close friend the QB, present my wife with a dozen roses. First drive, Palmetto is playing tough D, took a while to drive the field on the first possession. It was 3rd and long from the 19, Joey gets open against a D-1 DB up the seem, Q leads him a little too much worried about the coverage, he tips the ball over his head, then grabs it and just tiptoes to get his feat in for the TD. He looks up and points to his mom, then runs over and hugs me (I was watching from the sidelines). Great article and photo of the hug in the paper. Special moment. We lost her 10 months later, but damn was she a great Tarpon football mom for our three sons. Joey still has the game ball with the "Mom" and pink gloves painted on it and his mother, Joyce's name on it.

Since then, several great Tarpons have worn Pink gloves with the word "Mom": Alex Mut (USF), Ty Tyler (Marshall) Mike Bellamy, and Maleek Williams (Kentucky), keeping the tradition going, and have presented them to me when October ends.

Last edited:
I don't have anyone game but several come to mind.........
1.) My 1st visit to Tampa Stadium and NFL game - August 1971 Preseason game, Jets vs Lions. Namath injures his knee after a INT via a block thrown by Alex Karras. 1st time to be around grown adults drinking and betting it was wild for me to see that kind of stuff going on for 12 year old at the time.
2.) My 2nd visit to Tampa Stadium - Nov 1973 Manatee's 1st official trip to the playoffs versus Roland Acosta's Tampa Plant. Manatee lost 13-6, but had perhaps its best QB, at least prior to Tommie Frazier in Alvin Smalls. Got to see Tony Green that year in the game against Riverview as well!
3.) Capital Stadium, now known as Gene Cox Stadium 1976 - Got to see my 1st large school state title team In Godby HS against Leon and Rickards. Godby ran the wishbone to perfection that year. They had 3 outstanding backs Pompey, Chris Hobbs and the Sammy Knight, as I recall Pompey injured his knee against Leon and missed all of the playoffs.
4.) Manatee at Winter Haven 1978- My 1st away game that I went to without adult Supervision. My best friend Jon Crawford played DT for Manatee and was already being offered for a full ride to FSU as a junior. Manatee lost I want to say 35-6, Jon got kicked out of the game for punching someone in a pile, and I locked the keys in the car which I didn't discover until after the game. Jon would injure his knee the following year during non contact drills......FSU pulled the offer after the injury and Jon ended up at the Air Force .Academy
4.) Tamiami Stadium Dec 1983 - Manatee's 1st State Championship
5.) At Lakeland 1984 - Manatee had been rated in the top 10 nationally the entire season, my brother played that year although he didnt start he played WR in mostly mop up duty.......he called himself the fastest white boy in Manatee County. Manatee was looking to hookup against Woodham HS from Pensacola the next week. The game never happen however, Manatee would fumble twice inside the 10 yard line and eventually lost 19-14.......that loss was devastating!
6.) Pensacola two weeks later Dec 1984 - I decided to drive to see the state championship game Woodham HS vs Southridge HS. The game was played at noon on a Saturday, so I drove all night after getting off from work to be in Pensacola the next day. It was while waiting in the line to get my ticket, the guy in front of me told me I ought to stay in town over night and catch the Escambia vs St Pete HS state title game to see this super soph from Escambia....Emmett Smith. Kerry Watkins took the opening KO back for a TD for Woodham and while the score was respectable through out it was never in doubt. I did stay for the night game and my 1st time to see Emmett.
7.) Hawkins Stadium Dec 1985 Manatee vs Woodham - I had video of Woodham HS that I gave to coach Shannon after the semi-final game against Coral Gables. I wanted this game bad after it not coming off in 1984............Manatee won in a blow out and it was over by half, I drove across town to catch the second half of the Escambia vs Southeast State title game, mostly to see Emmett once again. As a side note when I went to get my videos back a month later, coach Knowles thanked me over and over again for providing the videos......guess who acted like he a a-hole the entire time I was there.......yeap the old ball coach himself......Joe ;)

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan in Daytona
1998 Manatee vs. Southeast - Overtime thriller with Manatee winning on a blocked PAT. My sophomore year. Our JV team was in the bleachers right behind the end zone that it happened. We stormed the field and celebrated like we'd won the Super Bowl. That is a great memory for me.

The semifinal victory over STA (I believe it was 09) was an unbelievable atmosphere. The game was just as great. Won't soon forget that one either.

There is a pinned thread with all of these games listed. I enjoy reading through that from time to time.

1994 - Hardee vs Lake Wales: Unbeaten and heavily favored Lake Wales was state runner-up the prior year and poised to make another state title run; Hardee came in with an 8-1 record. On the first possession of the game, the Hardee qb fumbled and Lake Wales defense returned for a quick score and early 7-0 lead. The rest of the game was a defensive battle. Late in the game, Hardee put together a long drive and scored as time expired. Instead of kicking the PAT to force overtime, Hardee coach Bob Martin decides to go for the 2-point conversion. I remember that stadium was packed, and on the 2-point play, the crowd was so quite you could hear a pin drop. Hardee ran a sweep to the far side, with a pile up on the goal line. I remember one official signaling score and another saying out. There was nearly a minute before the head official ruled out. Final score Lake Wales 7 Hardee 6. Lake Wales would go back to the finals and play Santa Fe in the championship.

At the time, I was a student at nearby Weber College. I had a class the next morning and when I get there a number of Lake Wales, Frostproof and other fans came up to me and were saying to me they saw the Hardee player go in. Oh, well! Hardee would go to the state championship the next year.

Since it says game:

1999 3A Basketball Championship (Cardinal Newman vs Pope John Paul II (now St. John Paul II).... I was a transfer student from out of state (non-athlete) and I enjoyed playing and watching basketball. The school's team was very good that year (and the next), several players went on to play Division 1 basketball or football. What made the game memorable though was the drive up to Lakeland with a couple of buddies and playing district rival. See at the time, they used to put district runner-ups in a different region completely.
We made it Lakeland pretty easily, but our district runner had to play 3 games on the road. We actually ended up playing in the state title game and while it was a little dicey at first my the 4th quarter, we had the game. Still one of the more exciting games I have had.

2000 Glades Central vs Cardinal Newman. Coach Sam Budnyk always scheduled Glades Central. He believed you played the best if you want to be the best. Heck, where every other coach schedules a creampuff on homecoming, Coach Budnyk scheduled the toughest game of the year. His argument used to be that he wants it to be a game that the alumni/students will remember. Anyway, we drive out to Belle Glade against the reigning state champions (and eventual state champs again) and we jump out to 7-0 lead on the opening kickoff. Game stalls, but we are up 14-13 with Glades Central on the 20 with almost no time. They heave one to the endzone and they catch it to eventually win 20-14.

I am not sure the last time that Newman has beaten Glades Central and after Budnyk retired the program hasn't been as consistent as it once was, especially with Oxbridge Academy and American Heritage (Delray Beach) competing for players.

Reactions: swett2victory
2003 second round game between Choctaw and Tallahassee Lincoln. Choctaw finished the season at 4-5 but won their district. They won a first round game over Pace 14-13 and had to travel again for this game.

The lead went back and forth throughout the game. Choctaw had an unknown QB, unrecruited but amazing RB, and an o-line that sent all 5 on to college to play. Yeah, and DJ Hall made a few amazing catches.

Choctaw ended up on top but, even if they had lost, it still would have been a great game!

Reactions: peezy28
Choctaw, were you at that game at Gene Cox? I was there and in shock of how they beat Lincoln.. The RB had something crazy like 5TDs and DJ hall had a couple as well.

Yes, that was the game! Lincoln also made some amazing long passes for TDs. Choctaw's defense, full of no name players, really stepped up. It was a great game for everyone involved.

Just a few I watched in person.
STA vs. Lakeland 2006
Manatee @ STA 2006
Manatee vs. STA 2009

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT