ADVERTISEMENT

TCJax vs OTC in 3A

TCMan

Nov 30, 2004
Should be a great game this week in what is a repeat of last years regional final. Both teams lost a good amount to graduation, so this years edition of the game should look much different from last seasons game. TCJax has played a "referee game" against 7A Bartram Trail in which the varsity against varsity score was 28-0 in favor of TCJax (first half and one drive into the third quarter). In the preseason kickoff last week, TCJax beat Union County 36-6 in one half of play by the starters. TCJax has a much different look on offense this season and should be explosive from the WR an RB position. OTC seemed to struggle on offense against 7A Buchholz but played well on defense when the starters were in the game. I'm not sure how to forecast this one, but would love to hear your thoughts. Looking forward to the trip to OTC this week - great place to watch a game ....!

My good friend TCman. Since I try my best to tell the truth, as I see it, I will do my best to give you and others the benefit of my thoughts for this upcoming game on Friday.

The Celtics struggled against Santa Fe and they struggled against Buchholz. Two teams that they would never have struggled against in the past, although both are higher classification teams than OTC. Yes, our defense played fairly well in the first half against Buchholz. However, our offense was, for the most part, AOL through the entire game. In all fairness to the offense the two top WR's, I believe both D-1 players, were out with injuries. Our running game was pretty bad and forced Ryan Miller to pass more than he wanted to. Our OL did not block well either for the RB's or for Miller when he attempted passes. Miscues and penalties also resulted in two Buchholz TD's. Buchholz made very few miscues and practically no penalties. I was very surprised at something. We kept sending our RB's into the line even though the OL was not making the holes. Sr Cameron Thompson, who I believe is a D-1 RB, has got to be the fastest player on the team. I have seen video of him in the open field. He is fast and difficult to stop. Not once, that I could see, was he sent outside. And, he was not utilized a great deal, either. Then again, this was a KO Classic which is a game for the coaching staff to evaluate players, formations, etc., before the fist game of the season. Possibly there was a lot of evaluation going on that I am not aware of. I'm quite sure that Coach Sturdivant will have his assistants working hard on correcting things this week in anticipation of, arguably, the toughest opponent OTC will have this year. I still think that TCJax has to be wary of OTC. A team that has been as good as OTC has been doesn't go away just like that. If the injured players are back, the offense has settled into the difficult formations that Sturdivant is implementing, and Ryan Miller is on target (he's deadly when he's on target), then TCJax will be in for a game. If OTC plays no better than they did against Buchholz, then TCJax may have an easier time than is expected.

At any rate, two good decent teams going head to head, is always entertaining no matter who wins. :cool:

Speedy back for sure .... Trinity's defense will have to be solid against OTC in order to come out with a win. I agree Proset, OTC has been good for years a program like the Celtics normally stays strong even during coaching transitions. Depending on how the season goes, this may be an early look at a playoff game later in the year between these two clubs. I'm really looking forward to this Friday night in Ocala as Celtic Field is one of the better venues in high school football to watch a game.

I agree on the venue. I just hope that TCA doesn't start off slow and lethargic like last year. Should be a good game as I know round 2 last year was awesome. Great D on both sides. And I have been surprised by TCA O so far this year. Hoping both teams stay injury free thru out season.

TCA 49 to 6. Rebuilding I believe hit OTC harder than TCA. Hard game to watch after the classic 2nd round play off game last year.

Just what I said could happen. Watching the Santa Fe and Buchholz games gave me an indication of how the Celtics might do against TCJax. Never thought it would be as bad as it was, though. However. I do feel that the team will come together and be competitive. Possibly these two teams may meet up again in the playoffs. Hopefully, the Celtics will be light years better than they are at present. No excuses. They do have a long way to go to get there.

You guys do have a shifty back that ran the ball late once they tried the option and running outside. QB is big and stands pocket nice. I think in 2nd round it will be a tighter game. Your QB and tall receivers will get clicking and be in play offs for sure. TCA threw a lot last night which seems to be the norm in the past few years. First year in awhile we had a returning QB.

OTC has the players and the training necessary to defeat any team. They just have to now play together as a team. I know that Coach Sturdivant has a development program being implemented. He's trying to take the team to a new level and that is why he scheduled so many exceptional teams this season. I do know that his practices are very difficult as I've been to them. The players just have to start producing in the games as they do in practice. Playing top notch teams during the season, regardless of the outcome, makes for an experienced bunch at playoff time. I don't expect OTC to be anything like they are now when the playoffs begin, assuming of course that they can win 3A District 3.

I agree. Just look at TCA last year. Struggled early against real good teams and then it came together. I agree OTC will mesh and be there at playoff team.

OTC has the players and the training necessary to defeat any team. They just have to now play together as a team. I know that Coach Sturdivant has a development program being implemented. He's trying to take the team to a new level and that is why he scheduled so many exceptional teams this season. I do know that his practices are very difficult as I've been to them. The players just have to start producing in the games as they do in practice. Playing top notch teams during the season, regardless of the outcome, makes for an experienced bunch at playoff time. I don't expect OTC to be anything like they are now when the playoffs begin, assuming of course that they can win 3A District 3.

I agree that OTC is a better team than they showed on Friday night against TCJax. They have some impressive athletes and the defensive line in particular is a very good unit. I think Coach Sturdivant will get the issues ironed out and have a good rebuilding year despite the losses to graduation and transfer. The pieces are there for OTC, they just have to get the kids to buy in and play as a team. You could see and feel the deflation on the OTC side when TCJax jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first 7 minutes - but to their credit, OTC played hard for four quarters and probably learned alot about themselves that will help them throughout the season. As for TCJax, I was very impressed with the offensive scheme and the skill positions as well. Five solid receivers and four solid RB's force defenses to be solid and disciplined. The defensive unit, while not as experienced as last years team, pursues to the ball very well and is physical up front. I think TCJax has a chance to go deep into the playoffs once again ( barring injury and provided they get through district play).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT