ADVERTISEMENT

Tarpons Rolled in '24 with 14 District Titles!

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
The Tarpon Class of 2024 arrived during the COVID-19 epidemic, survived the Eye of Cat 4/5 Hurricane Ian, and once again proved the CHS adage, as they did after Hurricane Charley, that "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

The 2024 Tarpons won a record 14 District titles, Basketball made it to the final four, and Wrestling produced the Tarpons' first-ever female state champ in that sport, junior Iyonna Church-Ross (28-0). Eight (8) Tarpon Head Coaches were named Coaches of the Year by Sun Preps. Our overall Student Athlete GPA was 3.45. The Silver King Marching Band won its highest-ever honor, a Superior rating, and our Robotic Team won State and earned the top spot at the World competition this summer.

THE Academic and Athletic School, Baby!

Congratulations and thanks for bringing this up!

My granddaughters, Kylie and Kiera Vasquez, both played for the Charlotte Tarpons volleyball and beach volleyball that won district titles. The beach volleyball team made it to the state tournament in Tallahassee.

• Love
Reactions: Silver King
One thing that has really impressed/surprised me since I moved to Punta Gorda was just how well rounded the tarpons sports programs are (Girls and Boys), every year. Being in Georgia before I moved, all I was aware of was the football program......to explain my general ignorance, but my eyes have been opened! Cant say that about Manatee........

Ran into young lady who graduated last year the other day, that I had the plesure to get to know. She's back from her 1st year at FSU, and so one of my 1st questions was how she was doing acedemically? Being humble as she has always been, she remarked she had done alright, and then commented she struggled with Calculus.......I smiled and told her.....Come on, you and I both know you're smart......(used to test her with math questions/formulas all the time....., she always knew the answers)! you passed right!?

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
Good, steady coaching is the primary reason. It's hard for high schools to get it right across all the many sports, but we do as good as any Public School, and they like to hire alumni.

We've gotten a lot of play for football, because that's where we had the meteoric rise out of mediocrity (1-9 1968 to 10-2 semifinal in 1970). And we've had some great teams, produced four NFL players. Unfortunately they played in the toughest classifications in the state, I think two of our best faced Top 10 National teams that knocked them out of playoffs (The Tarps beat St Thomas in the Regional, and earned a Top 10 National ranking). Now, had we been in this new classification at the time, we'd have had a couple.

But in reality (and tough for me to say with my three boys and me being the winningest family in Tarpon FB history with 82 wins and two of the Tarps three Regional titles), but we're a Wrestling, Swimming, Weightlifting and Track school, each won at least two state tiles, wrestling three.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT