ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals in Ft. Lauderdale.

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
Wavebb & myself with a buddy of ours just returned from the State Finals for the 4A-8A. Fort Lauderdale turned out to be one of the best locations for the event in the 13 years I’ve attended.

Drive Pink Stadium was a near perfect venue. It holds approximately 18,000 and the grass field remained in very good condition throughout the 5 games in 3 days. The concessions were adequate but could be upgraded. There are plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby. Parking was a disappointment and the $20 per game was excessive. The game tickets were 12-15 dollars. The management of entering and exiting left a little to be desired.

Even though there were 2 teams from Ft. Lauderdale (Cardinal Gibbons and Aquinas) the FHSAA had to be disappointed there was only 1 Dade County team (Miami Central). Attendance was typical for the event and maybe a little low. You could say a negative is that it is not a central location like Orlando. Miami Central did not turn out like they usually do. Rocket fans might be getting a little bored winning so many state titles. Their championship games aren’t even competitive.

The 4A and 8A games were the most entertaining. The other games were blowouts. The 8A Pensacola Pine Forest-Jesuit provided a fantastic finale.

Pine Forest had what may have been the best player of the weekend. QB Tierra Wilson led the Eagles to a halftime 15-14 lead with his bull like running and rifle arm. He ended the game with 33 carries for 171 yards running. Many times it took most of the Jesuit players to bring him down looking like a rugby scrum. Wilson is listed at 6’3” and 215 lbs. I would guess those lbs. might be short by about 20. If he was a little faster I would argue he might be the best player in the state. He’s a junior so we will see.

Incredibly, Jesuit’s late game goal line stands and quick strike offense rescued the Tigers from defeat. The Jesuit fans were euphoric with the result with the last minute comeback winning 35-29 for their first title since 1968. Pine Forest must be commended for giving Jesuit all they could handle.

We were informed by a FHSAA official that next year’s finals will return to Ft. Lauderdale which we applaud. Orlando or Tampa would be a more central location. Maybe Exploria Stadium near Downtown Orlando could be a possibility in the future. I give the FHSAA an A- for this year. Overall was very impressed. Very good job!

Last edited:
Didn't go, but watched the Venice game online and kept up with the STA/TBT game and the Jesuit games online while they were being played. Venice reminds me of the 1989 Manatee team, in that they were just physically superior to everyone they played in the playoffs. I wondered who exactly Tierra Wilson was during the Jesuit game, as he almost single handedly beat what I thought was a unbeatable Jesuit team? Jesuit coming back in the 2nd half for the win like they did made me smile!

Thanks for the weekend report!

Didn't go, but watched the Venice game online and kept up with the STA/TBT game and the Jesuit games online while they were being played. Venice reminds me of the 1989 Manatee team, in that they were just physically superior to everyone they played in the playoffs. I wondered who exactly Tierra Wilson was during the Jesuit game, as he almost single handedly beat what I thought was a unbeatable Jesuit team? Jesuit coming back in the 2nd half for the win like they did made me smile!

Thanks for the weekend report!
gatorman001, every Venice player seemed fit. No fat boy offensive lineman.

Last edited:
gatorman001, every Venice player seemed fit. No fat boy offensive lineman.
Last spring before the prior Manatee head football coach was fired, I had pointed out on a Manatee football forum that Manatee had advance only one individual out of districts weighing 165 or better in weight lifting and he failed to advance out of region.

Venice on the other hand qualified 2 or more for every weight class from super heavy weight to 165 for the state tournament, ( most which were football players). As another note, the last time Manatee won a team state title in weightlifting ??? The same school year they won the 1989 state title in football.

I remember the first time I saw Manatee once the Hurricanes had started having their success under Kinnan in the 1980’s. They were playing at Sarasota Riverview. The main thing I remember was the size of the Manatee offensive line which included wide girth. I witnessed how they pounded the Rams into submission that night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT