ADVERTISEMENT

SINGLE WING - Who runs it?

I'm purest. You should run the Notre Dame box and wear leather helmets.

How long has Apopka been using it??? I'am familiar with it.. I watched them on youtube and they run it well with some low hard drivers.. Nice.

About 6 or 7 years now. Go back in Sports Illustrated's archives and find a great article on the Single Wing and Apopka.

Difference #3

Single Wing, most of the time, uses an Unbalanced line. TE G C G T T TE
(correct me if I'm wrong gents)

Wing T can be run unbalanced, but usually doesn't WR T G C G T TE

(forum doesn't recognize spacing)

Reactions: peezy28
single wing . 3rd guy from left is the center. backs are split behind him
Singlewing1-300x168.jpg

Basically 4 running backs in Apopka's case. When they had Darlington at QB he demolished teams with the occasional pass (lots of passing from the traditional Apopka perspective). They used slots and wide outs. So they did deviate somewhat in 2012-2013 but still very much stuck with their scheme. Apopka rarely has the deep threat WR (although the TE Hendrickson(?) in 2012 who burned DP in the final four) was very, very good.

The single wing is all about deception and numbers at the point of attack. I know it all too well from watching Apopka run it against DP for years and years and years...

Last edited:
No offense, Columbia, but y'all don't want ANY O DAT.

How 'bout Hammertime bringing the scheme, PROPER.

Reactions: peezy28
yeah redfish ik, we faced apopka in kickoff, im sure u can find where they talked about it, we did ok, we messed up, first drive we stopped them 3 and out and gave up 15 yard personal foul after play and gave automatic first, we never recovered, we faced bolles with wing T and won by 29, so we handled wing T but not single wing, and ty for clarrification, and i remember apopka using their QB as one of the running backs

Looking forward to seeing how Raines defends Sante Fe's SW. Raines has 7 shutouts this season with top notch talent on D. But I predict Wiles contrarian offense will give the overzealous Viking D fits.

To beat the single wing you need push at the LOS and disciplined LBs. All other match ups go out the window when you play that beast.

To beat the single wing you need push at the LOS and disciplined LBs. All other match ups go out the window when you play that beast.

I can dig it. You also need good CB play, as long as that means bring the funk on run support.

Saw an SW team last year (no names,Luggage tag - APK) playing one of those extra athletic teams (Tag - FCO), after APK ran that super power for about the 5th time in a road, the CB was yelling at the sideline, "They got three blockers! What I'm sposed to do?"

Funny to me though, every time someone states what it takes to beat a certain team or style or formation; the thing that it takes applies to nearly ALL TEAMS, STYLES and FORMATIONS.

Control the LOS, good LB play, stick with your assignment, etc.

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
Apopka ran some spread Single Wing when Zack was there. Beast is not going to stand pat on anything. He's not going to let you put 11 in the box and just play assignment football.

im sure u can find where they talked about it, we did ok, we messed up, first drive we stopped them 3 and out and gave up 15 yard personal foul after play and gave automatic first, we never recovered, we faced bolles with wing T and won by 29, so we handled wing T but not single wing, and ty for clarrification, and i remember apopka using their QB as one of the running backs

Coach D and Apopka aren't into the talking game. He respects Columbia.

Coldest football game of my life was watching Columbia play Choctaw in the playoffs. Early to mid 00's?

Coach D and Apopka aren't into the talking game. He respects Columbia.

Coldest football game of my life was watching Columbia play Choctaw in the playoffs. Early to mid 00's?
ik i was replying to what red fish said about us not wanting any of the single wing, i was pointing out we had aready faced it this year, and i know we played Choctaw in 3rd round of playoffs back in 03

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT