ADVERTISEMENT

Reality Check

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
When their son was in middle-school, so-called football experts projected Sloan Drummonds to be the next coming of (insert name of your favorite Pro Football Hall of Fame QB).

The kid's parents, of course, swallowed the hype hook, line and sinker, then sprung into action. Who wouldn't want anything but the best for a kid who was destined for eventual enshrinement in Canton?

So what ensued? Well, the idea of playing for the local high school was nixed. Convinced that it would be all-important to place their son in a program where his talents could be properly honed and showcased, the Drummond family picked up stakes and became a traveling road show for the next few years.

Apparently no program ended-up being good enough for Sloan. Reportedly after a number of phone calls (who knows who called who first?), a deal was struck for the road show to hit Bradenton, FL. The Hurricanes of Manatee HS - a nationally-known program - needed a blue chip prospect and Drummonds was primed and ready for a move.

Many times the best laid plans have a way of not working out, but in the case of Mr. and Mrs. Drummonds, they outsmarted the system. Years of hard-work and maneuvering finally paid-off. Their son is in college right now and will be competing for the starting QB job at .. hang on for second ... at ... I'm sure I can find it ... aaaaah, here it is ... Northwest Missouri State.

That's right folks, the NWMSU Bearcats, who as most college football fans know, compete in the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association, open this year in Kearney and also make stops in places like Pittsburg (with no "h"), Warrensburg, and Tahlequah.

Thus far no major network has a NW Missouri State game on their broadcast schedule, but who knows ... maybe Mr. and Mrs. Drummond can put a fire under the right people and change all this.

I know you have many fans on this board... but I question your motivation. Something is "off" to me when I read your posts.

When do you EVER actually talk about what teams are good in your area, etc.? You seem too intelligent to be so passive aggressive and angry.

When their son was in middle-school, so-called football experts projected Sloan Drummonds to be the next coming of (insert name of your favorite Pro Football Hall of Fame QB).

The kid's parents, of course, swallowed the hype hook, line and sinker, then sprung into action. Who wouldn't want anything but the best for a kid who was destined for eventual enshrinement in Canton?

So what ensued? Well, the idea of playing for the local high school was nixed. Convinced that it would be all-important to place their son in a program where his talents could be properly honed and showcased, the Drummond family picked up stakes and became a traveling road show for the next few years.

Apparently no program ended-up being good enough for Sloan. Reportedly after a number of phone calls (who knows who called who first?), a deal was struck for the road show to hit Bradenton, FL. The Hurricanes of Manatee HS - a nationally-known program - needed a blue chip prospect and Drummonds was primed and ready for a move.

Many times the best laid plans have a way of not working out, but in the case of Mr. and Mrs. Drummonds, they outsmarted the system. Years of hard-work and maneuvering finally paid-off. Their son is in college right now and will be competing for the starting QB job at .. hang on for second ... at ... I'm sure I can find it ... aaaaah, here it is ... Northwest Missouri State.

That's right folks, the NWMSU Bearcats, who as most college football fans know, compete in the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association, open this year in Kearney and also make stops in places like Pittsburg (with no "h"), Warrensburg, and Tahlequah.

Thus far no major network has a NW Missouri State game on their broadcast schedule, but who knows ... maybe Mr. and Mrs. Drummond can put a fire under the right people and change all this.

Isn't Neutral part of the same crew that jump on me for not letting it be, when I reminded everyone I had correctly predicted Brion Carnes would never take a regular season snap at Nebraska at the QB position? (Hello Pot............Meet Kettle)

Go Canes Go!

I don't want to make enemies, but I've got a good working memory and I see the trends that occur w/ posters over time. This board is an opportunity for positive discussion... I just don't get where the motivation comes from to do something like this...

... I just don't get where the motivation comes from to do something like this...
If your "working memory" was working, then you would recall that when Sloan Drummonds transferred HS's for the fourth time in four years last fall, the story became a big topic of conversation on this forum.

This post was simply an update on the reality of what can take place when parents decide to wage a four year campaign of undeniably transparent free agency in high school sports.

In Nu'Trelle's humble opinion, by turning their son into a gypsy, the Drummonds not only did a disservice to their son, they did a disservice to HS football.

And for what?

Isn't Neutral part of the same crew that jump on me for not letting it be, when I reminded everyone I had correctly predicted Brion Carnes would never take a regular season snap at Nebraska at the QB position? (Hello Pot............Meet Kettle)

Dude, you and Pipe Dream both need to get your working memory working. Nu'Trelle never once criticized your criticism of Brion Carnes ... but given the number of peoples who did, it's easy to understand your confusion!

Carnes doesn't belong in this thread, he wasn't a mercenary player. And Gatorman, I still think he stole your dog or something, we don't hear from you forever and you manage to work in on this thread? As Joe Dirt says "Whaaaaat?"

Carnes doesn't belong in this thread, he wasn't a mercenary player. And Gatorman, I still think he stole your dog or something, we don't hear from you forever and you manage to work in on this thread? As Joe Dirt says "Whaaaaat?"
Im sorry I must have missed it somewhere, when you were designated Thread topic moderator???????
Dont like what your read...... discontinue reading and close the thread.......how's that for some advice :)

Go Canes Go!

Man you're getting cranky in your old age too Gatorman, but you're right, I'm not the moderator but you probably shouldn't be dog riding the kid after all these years either.

Nu'Trelle been on the other side of transfer's for as long as I can remember. I sit on the opposite of him though because I was a transfer as a senior. I can honestly say I should have stayed where I started. Of course I had offers but I'm certain I would have had them anyway since they came at the end of my Jr. year.

Cat, me and Neut are just dinosaurs - we love the game, but its changed and left many of the values and lessons we grew up with, in the dust. Seeing kids change schools for whatever reason is just incomprehensible to us. Like you say, you took advantage of it - its the era you played in and certainly your choice. I played small town High School ball where 80% of us played Little League together starting at 7 years old. Most of them are my closest friends till this day; have been best man in their weddings, and had one as mine. Godfathers of my three boys. I just rebuilt a 60-foot dock on the Peace River behind my house, two of them were in the water with me the whole time jetting pilings. For me, there's just nothing that can compare to that; we've been brothers for over half a century - certainly not the chance of a State Title at some other school (heck, we only fell a game short of playing for one anyway)

Silver King... I graduated in 71, I followed my coach when he changed schools as did 4 or 5 other guys on the team. We were the last team to beat Brandon before they went on their 30 year no loss streak for wrestling. I pinned my guy who was the state runner up the year before in the second period. An injury kept me from going to state that year. I don't have any regrets though. I still went to college but to study electronics. A life long job that was my hobby also. Call sign N4XDL.

Always lurking about reading posts and do respond when I feel compelled to do so. This year will be it for Manatee in as far as being a team worthy of statewide recognition......for the foreseeable future.

I dont like how the whole transfer thing has evolved........but it is what it is and Neutral ranting on the subject has become old and tiresome.

Drummond is where he's at becuase that is where his talent base allows him to play collegite football and most importanly get an education. Not so sure playing HS football anywhere else last year or anywhere else for that matter leading up to his senior year, would have allowed him an opportunity to do better in as far as continuing to play football beyond the HS level. Manatee allowed him to play and shoecase his passing ability as well as arm strenght with a collective talent base he wouldnt have seen else where.........As it was had Booth not shown his ability to find alternative ways to move the football on offense by moving Lang to the wildcat position......Manatee probably loses some games it ultimately won last year.

Last year despite the whole transfer thing with Drummond, it turned out to be a win/win situation for both Drummond and Manatee!

Go Canes Go!

I agree with the argument you are making, Neutral. High school ball is losing its mystique because of the lack of loyalty to your school. I grew up hearing the band play at Manatee from my backyard and playing the game out as I listened on the radio. I dreamed of my turn to put that helmet on. I would have never gone to another school voluntarily.

I will say that players were transferring when I was in school too. It just wasn't broadcasted like it is now. We had a D1 safety transfer to Southeast for his senior year. He thought they had a better chance to win a title and he could get noticed by some colleges. Well, we damn near beat the team that won the whole thing that year. He could have been the difference. No loyalty.

gatorman001, Manatee isn't going to fall off. Like it or not, Booth and his staff will be very successful.

Last year despite the whole transfer thing with Drummond, it turned out to be a win/win situation for both Drummond and Manatee!

How could you possibly believe that statement? If you think the Drummonds family went through what they did so their son could get a shot to play D2 football, drop whatever you're doing and go have a brain scan.

There are approximately 120 FBS schools. Each of them had the opportunity to watch Drummonds spend 4 years of high school football in four different cities. The kindest statement that can be made about a journey as arduous as this is that it was a complete travesty. After witnessing 4 years of nonsense, each and every FBS school made the same decision - a unanimous thanks, but no thanks.

Maybe if Sloan's family had enrolled him somewhere as a freshman and allowed him to stay there like a regular kid so he could grow and mature, an FBS program somewhere MIGHT have given Sloan a chance. Only one thing is certain at this point: None of us - including the Drummonds - will ever know.

Reactions: Silver King
I agree with the argument you are making, Neutral. High school ball is losing its mystique because of the lack of loyalty to your school. I grew up hearing the band play at Manatee from my backyard and playing the game out as I listened on the radio. I dreamed of my turn to put that helmet on. I would have never gone to another school voluntarily.

I will say that players were transferring when I was in school too. It just wasn't broadcasted like it is now. We had a D1 safety transfer to Southeast for his senior year. He thought they had a better chance to win a title and he could get noticed by some colleges. Well, we damn near beat the team that won the whole thing that year. He could have been the difference. No loyalty.

gatorman001, Manatee isn't going to fall off. Like it or not, Booth and his staff will be very successful.
jgking83 its not a matter of liking anything its simply stating the fact of the Manatee football program moving beyond the varsity team of this year. The 2015 JV team...... last year as a freshman team went win less last season and lost ugly every single game except one. Numbers of the JV team this year are low and I believe Booth has moved otherwise varsity players down to the JV team to help make that team at least competitive. The freshmen team numbers for this year I was provided were a surprisingly low 39 total players (And I believe those numbers when I was provided them were in fact padded). When I played my freshmen year we had so many come out we had two individual freshmen team's. Yet this year Manatee as a 8A school can only generate interest among its freshmen class 39 total players? Tell you what I'll provide you the weekly freshmen and JV scores this season..........being competitive is one thing but I suspect we'll see more of what was witness with last years freshmen team.........losing and losing ugly!

Booth did a helluva job last year coaching a team Joe built, and whether you want to admit it or not this year's team remains players Joe already had in the program when he was forced to leave. Running a successful HS program goes much further than just coaching a group of already talented players, it also requires running the program and understanding that its from the program's foundation that makes winning on Friday night possible.

Go Canes Go!

I hear all of what you are saying gatorman. I know that the success of the JV and freshman teams are good indicators for future success. I also know that Booth built a terrible team at Bloomingdale into a playoff team in just three or four years. He understands the building process. At a place like Manatee, the program is already established. He doesn't need to build it. Might we drop off a bit for a year or two? It's possible. I tend to think that Booth will provide a high quality product on the field year in and year out.

When I was in school our JV teams went undefeated several years in a row. Until my junior year the varsity team was pretty average, bad for a Manatee program who wasn't far removed from the early 90's success. My point is that the freshman and JV program success isn't the only reason to be optimistic. We're going to be fine. My expectations remain high.

Only time will tell with the Manatee program. But trust me, the cupboard ain't bare and no varsity players are on JV. Period.

Jgking, correct me if I'm wrong but you said Bloomingdale was a terrible team before he got there? Bloomingdale was a playoff team the year before then his first year they went 0-10. I would think a lot of head coaches would love to come to a school where they made it to the playoffs year before. Also he didn't build a playoff team in 3-4 years cause he was there for 5 and never made it. As for transfering it happens but I think the real issue is if programs not maintain success you won't be seeing kids school choice into that school anymore. not positive maybe someone can help, how many kids on the 2011 title team actually lived in manatee district?

We need to undersatand that times have changed! Manatee, Lakewood Ranch and Palmetto are the only county schools that have a freshman program right now. Manatee is having trouble scheduling games! It is an issue everywhere not just at Manatee. Kids are not coming out for football. Manatee will continue to be the top choice high school in Manatee county! School choice is not all sports driven. And the school can only take so many students. There have been many kids turned away. The JV program has between 45-50 players right now. That could grow when school starts. The program is in good hands and thoses who think it's on the demise are wrong! So be aware, we did not hire Gatorman as our head of Football Operations!

twc2499 have you ever thought about a career in politics......? The Clinton campaign is looking for a few good folks and you appear to have the spin thing down perfectly! Like I said earlier results on the filed will reveal much this season with both the JV and freshmen teams. Being Competitive is one thing but if its more of the same like last year's freshmen team (losing ugly), no amount of spin or making me out to be this or that aint going to hold water.......That's a fact Jack!

Go Canes Go!

Jgking, correct me if I'm wrong but you said Bloomingdale was a terrible team before he got there? Bloomingdale was a playoff team the year before then his first year they went 0-10. I would think a lot of head coaches would love to come to a school where they made it to the playoffs year before. Also he didn't build a playoff team in 3-4 years cause he was there for 5 and never made it. As for transfering it happens but I think the real issue is if programs not maintain success you won't be seeing kids school choice into that school anymore. not positive maybe someone can help, how many kids on the 2011 title team actually lived in manatee district?

Not everything is as simple as win-loss record and terrible was the wrong word. The program he inherited was very inconsistent. I'm not going to pretend to know the details of the team he inherited, other than the fact that they went 6-4 (the team had 19 seniors out of 37 total players) the year prior to him arriving. The win totals for the five years prior to him arriving were 3, 4, 1, 2 and 6. His win totals at Bloomingdale were 0, 2, 4, 4 and 6. The last team he had at Bloomingdale had 19 seniors out of 53 total, so he left a team with plenty of experience. He grew the roster by 33%. He developed consistency in the program. Anyway, I was wrong by saying the team was terrible, but they obviously were not in a good place. His first year as a head coach at any level was not a good one. He did build a playoff team.

If he doesn't get credit for Bloomindale making the playoffs the year after he left, does he get credit for taking Manatee to the 8A State Semi-Finals with a 12-2 record? I think he has proven that he is competent and capable of taking Manatee deep into the playoffs on a consistent basis.

I'm so glad that football season is here. It's been a long off-season.

Roadkill, you'd love his friend's (wink,wink) 707hp roadkill-V8 too. That is unless you are he also?

Last edited:
Cat, damn I had you as a pup and you're a year older than me!! Ha Ha!

LOL, Yep, I look a lot younger than I am. I feel a lot older than I am. And I can't remember where I left my keys.

Where is Pops, We need his take on Bama this year? Sides, he is the resident old fart. Last I heard he was making the rounds on all the single womens in the nursing home.

Reactions: Silver King
Only time will tell with the Manatee program. But trust me, the cupboard ain't bare and no varsity players are on JV. Period.

They may not be bare but it's going to be a very short season without Lang(if he doesn't return). It's hard to get excited when we play a Pinellas County team.

Let's see how things go against Hoover and then we can judge how the year is going to look.

I feel the team was much better last year and they blew a game against Ware County who wasn't really that good.

AJ can't throw pick sixes like he did and I just hope he has grown in the little paying time he has seen since then.

They may not be bare but it's going to be a very short season without Lang(if he doesn't return). It's hard to get excited when we play a Pinellas County team.

Let's see how things go against Hoover and then we can judge how the year is going to look.

I feel the team was much better last year and they blew a game against Ware County who wasn't really that good.

AJ can't throw pick sixes like he did and I just hope he has grown in the little paying time he has seen since then.

Ware County was a very good team and had a successful season. AJ was playing his first game as a varsity QB against a stout defensive football team. It was also the first game for Booth at Manatee after not having a spring to install his offense.

I do agree that not having Lang is a huge blow, but Manatee has plenty of guys to make plays on offense. Price has the potential to be first team all-state. AJ looks much better throwing the football and even looked ok running the ball, though there is plenty of room for improvement there.

I saw some good things out of the defense too. It's clear that they are still learning that defense and Hoover will probably exploit some weaknesses there. I also some issues with getting set on special teams that Hoover might take advantage of.

I believe this game with Hoover, win or lose, will benefit this team tremendously. This team has as good a shot at winning it all as any other 8A team this year. Especially if the defense can be as good as I think they can. Should be a great year.

Former Murrells Inlet/Vero Beach/SebastianRiver/Manatee Sloan Drummonds will be competing for the starting QB job this season at Northwest Missouri State.
UPDATE - Week 3

Good News:
Three games into the season the NWMS Bearcats is undefeated.

Bad News: 5 guys has throwed passes; Sloan ain't one of them.

Good News #2: Far as we can tell, Sloan ain't transferred out yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT