#3 Braden River
#4 Manatee
#5 Palmetto
#6 Charlotte
#7 Southeast
#8 Port Charlotte
#9 Cardinal Mooney
#10 LR/Booker

Palmetto had some good looking kids last year, but it was funny going back and listening to the Palmetto broadcast crew a couple days later, those guys were a trip - great set up for HS coverage though.

"I just can't understand how our bigger D-line is not having its way with this small Offensive line, they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all and you just can't let him stand there and throw all night."

"We're getting a great look at big Maleek Williams, he's big, he's in the wildcat, takes the snap at the 35, and oh, he ran over a defender and carried three more into the end zone. You just can't tackle a big strong back like that high or he's going to continue to carry you into the end zone.

There were about five or six gems like that in the game.

Any one of the first 3 could be the #1 in the area. Would like to see that first team stay there hopefully.
Braden River transfers will be tough.
Riverview could have been the one game locally Venice would have had a tough time w last year.

Palmetto had some good looking kids last year, but it was funny going back and listening to the Palmetto broadcast crew a couple days later, those guys were a trip - great set up for HS coverage though.

"I just can't understand how our bigger D-line is not having its way with this small Offensive line, they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all and you just can't let him stand there and throw all night."

"We're getting a great look at big Maleek Williams, he's big, he's in the wildcat, takes the snap at the 35, and oh, he ran over a defender and carried three more into the end zone. You just can't tackle a big strong back like that high or he's going to continue to carry you into the end zone.

There were about five or six gems like that in the game.

Yes they were clearly better than Palmetto last year. My concern is how much Charlotte lost and Palmetto returns 9 of those 11 on defense who will now be bigger and stronger and there isnt the Arkansas RB back there. Manatee kind of same thing they return a lot of kids on defense. They could be dangerous. My feel is Charlotte takes a back seat to some of those teams but still is a 2nd round playoff team

Oh yeah, you might have Charlotte way too high - we got a couple of linemen, some LBs and a great corner, but are replacing everybody else.

Top 5 is spot on to me. Venice is loaded, I'm not sure this will impact the team. I read that they return 17 multi-year starters.

Top 5 is spot on to me. Venice is loaded, I'm not sure this will impact the team. I read that they return 17 multi-year starters.
Memory is 11 of the return started as sophomores. The others played significate time and most started as juniors.
Needs that are most glaring are at RB. Doss got hurt late last year.

If I had to go top 10 it may surprise some people

#1 Venice
#2 Riverview
#3 Braden River
#4 Manatee
#5 Palmetto
#6 Charlotte
#7 Southeast
#8 Port Charlotte
#9 Cardinal Mooney
#10 LR/Booker

Well this could change this depending on the coach the kids exiting etc... A lot of factors play into what happens at MHS

No sir I don't. it's just plain Riverview, you know the one that's been around since more than half a century.

I might suggest you tag the Johnny Come Lately one, as it needs to find a prefix. They tried that crap with Charlotte, wasn't happening.

Carpetbagger sports editors who move in and try and redefine the history because it fits with their limited coverage, or move teams around on a whim from traditional boundaries like SW Florida and Suncoast.

Last edited:
IMO the forum suggests SW FL meaning there would be no need to front Riverview with Tampa or Sarasota. Its sort of self explanatory based on the title of the post. However, now that we have got off topic anyone wanting to refocus us please help

I loved when they would call Southeast, Bradenton-Southeast all the time in college coverage.

No sir I don't. it's just plain Riverview, you know the one that's been around since more than half a century.

I might suggest you tag the Johnny Come Lately one, as it needs to find a prefix. They tried that crap with Charlotte, wasn't happening.

Carpetbagger sports editors who move in and try and redefine the history because it fits with their limited coverage, or move teams around on a whim from traditional boundaries like SW Florida and Suncoast.

IMO the forum suggests SW FL meaning there would be no need to front Riverview with Tampa or Sarasota. Its sort of self explanatory based on the title of the post. However, now that we have got off topic anyone wanting to refocus us please help

Well, the top of the thread says "West Central Florida". Going by our buddy Laz, that includes nine counties: Pinellas, Hillsborough, Polk, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Hardee, DeSoto, Highlands, and the region ranks second to "Southeast Florida" in producing powerhouse programs and championships. At the end of 2016, taking IMG out of the mix, the top 10 would be:

1. Lake Gibson
2. Plant
3. Venice
4. Armwood
5. Charlotte
6. Jesuit
7. Lakeland
8. Hillsborough
9. Clearwater
10. Riverview (Sarasota).

Going into 2017, I'd say its probably about the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT