ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

majicman

Oct 7, 2007
Prayers for victims families, injured and families, and all survivors adults and children and families. Gentleman all of you that are in our schools are in my prayers.

Reactions: peezy28
Horrific. A lot of families woke up this morning for a normal day, than pure evil showed up.

Stay to the light people - thoughts and prayers for the victims, families, friends and community.

Nothing more tragic than the needless loss of life. It's made worse when unfortunate incidents like this hit close to home. Prayers to the students, families and affected communities.

What I’m upset about, is many students warned teachers he was going to do something and the admin, nothing was done… what a way to teach our kids not to say anything because next time the students know something this will cause them not to tell the teachers anything…

Hopefully the students will start utilizing the police departments…I think it’s time to lock down all schools from being allowed outside access unless they go through a few security scanners first…Every Florida school needs this…

It’s a sad sad sad day…

Reactions: DeSoto Poolboy
It is terrible. My prayers are with all. HWF I agree you that campuses need to be locked down. Ijust read that Broward Schools stopped police from arresting students for campus violations in 2013 . I think this particular student brought bullets in a backpack a year ago. I am not sure if that would be a police matter but I would think so. Apparently the shooter was on meds for mental issues. It is time to reevaluate mental health and reopen the state hospitals that have closed like G Pierce Wood in Arcadia.

Wasn't this an affluent area? Guess they didn't think it would happen to them.

Not only didn't the school admin react, but the FBI couldn't find the shooter's post. Did they follow up with the guys who sent the tip? Too many excuses!

I still think there is no good reason to have assault weapons in the general population but, apparently, I stand alone on that issue.

DB, my brother, many people also feel that mentally deranged people exist that perpetuate this evil. But, nothing will be done to address that, because of this default debate: guns.

School shootings will happen again, and because of the coverage, probably sooner than later. There are reports all over the country of wanna be copy cats on social media, because they like the idea of their face plastered on every media outlet going - something they could only attain by acting out in real life, the video games that so desensitize them in the first place.

Most all of them are really no threat, because they might have a shred of intelligence, a conscience or a grasp on humanity. But, you can take it to the bank that others with that blank stare that can pump bullets into unarmed hysterical kids and teachers trying to protect them, and watch what it does, but can still keep doing it, are just waiting for the opportunity and learning (Like having targets come to them by pulling a fire alarm - difficult to harden up bus ramps or parent pick-up).

And we'll debate guns because people don't want to take any responsibility for an undisciplined, morally bankrupt society that has been on the decline for decades, or a government that gutted mental health and replaced it with with the fox guarding the hen house of big pharmaceutical companies.

In short, between the NRA, Big Medicine and the Government; Democratic or Republican, the future is bleak, so teach your kids situational awarness and stay towards the light.

Broward County law enforcement go to the shooters house 39 times. The FBI gets a tip and does not send it to the FBI. This guy should not have had any type of a weapon he shuld have been institutionialized.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
It doesn’t make a difference if every gun was outlawed guns will still be here. Ask the UK if gun bans have helped them and you will find they have all kinds of problems with gun violence.

The reason people own these weapons is for one reason and it has to do with our government and the risk of being invaded. Please don’t say it won’t or can’t happen but if Japan wanted to they could have easily invaded the USA at the start of WW2 and the US wouldn’t have been able to stop them until they reached the Mississippi River. Also we have these weapons to protect us from our own government and that was made clear when the constitution article was written.

How did this young man get ahold of this weapon? Legally or illegally?

Let’s say he didn’t have a weapon he could have easily made pipe bombs and do what others have done.

Guns are not the problem, people are, the government and too many so called doctors and attorneys are the real problems with their stupid stinking thinking about how a person should be treated for mental illnesses. Like it was said our state needs to reopen the mental help facilities and start using them once again.

How did this young man get ahold of this weapon? Legally or illegally?

He purchased the AR-15 legally shortly after his 18th birthday. I have a real problem with an 18 year old who has a troubled past being able to purchase a gun that can fire 100s of rounds per minute. You have your opinion, I have mine. They are not reconcilable.

I agree 100% background checks should be much harsher - but then you have the mental health community, civil liberties and Hippa laws about medical disclousers, to deal with.

That started to change in 2016 to address gun violence. Not sure how the implementation is going. But here's what they were up against:

"Under the old privacy rule, reporting to NICS was not allowed under the HIPAA exemption when law enforcement agencies inquired about a person. Disclosures were also not permitted even if the person posed a serious threat to health or safety, according to HHS."

the whole article: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20160106/NEWS/160109963

I have heard that an ortheopedic suregeon would not share results with a coach because of HIPPA. Makes no sense. if you are worried about student health. Do you remember registering your kids at school and having to have proof of imunizations. An undocumented foreign national can register in school with NO RECORDS of any kind. Then we act like we cant figure out why TB is on the rise. Look at the pic of the kid from MSD and look at the pic of the kid from Sandy Hook, they have the same look in their eyes. You know something is not right. I think it should be illigial for mentally ill to own a weapon, oh thats right it is. If an evil delusional person wants to harm others they are going to do it regardless of the law. Fertilizer is not illigal but look what Timothy McVay did with it. I am not saying citizens need machine guns because they don't need a fully auto. Semi auto is not the same thing. I also dont think cops need tanks but our last president did.

NOTHING and I mean nothing on record showed he had past problems. Every seller calls the DEA to do a background check on everybody and if nothing shows up in the NCIC and the FBI database then the consumer can purchase the gun. Now think about this, the FBI has admitted to what he was going to do. The person who reported it to the FBI was from another state and whenever the FBI looked on facebook by that time facebook took down the posts. Why didn't facebook report that? Second, even though the FBI started an investigation and did nothing about it, he should have been red-flagged in both the NCIC and the FBI databases. We use to have something like this in place until the previous Commander in Chief stopped this. If the FBI would have red flagged this guy he may have or may not have found another way to do what he was going to do. People with mental illnesses will do whatever they are going to do by any means necessary. The system is broken and has been broken since 2008 and that is a fact because many policies were changed even though on camera people will say one thing but behind closed doors they were creating new policies that went against what he said needs to be done.

I agree that HIPPA needs some changing and that in cases like this every person who mental health workers believes is a danger to society needs to be red-flagged in the NCIC and FBI databases so they cannot legally purchase these guns but it won't matter they will go to the streets and purchase one from the trunk of car just like how illegals obtain fake social security cards. If a person who has a mental health problem disagrees with this then let the courts rule on the issue.

I want everybody to really think about this. Before the Columbia High School Shooting did we ever hear of any school shooting like this? Yes there were gang shooting but I am talking about mass shootings. Something changed and it was mental health that changed and the way our state and federal governments deal with them. Instead of getting these people treatment they release them into society. Poolboy how many detainees were at G Pierce Woods that was released into Charlotte, Desoto, Hardee and Desoto Counties? I can tell you for a fact we had people who was down at GPW living up here in a few trailers. Guns are not the issues, people are the issue because of mental health. You can take away all the guns there are and until people are treated like they use to be they will still commit these horrific crimes. Once a person's mind with mental illness mind is made up I can tell you from experience, seeing it with my own eyes, they will do whatever they can to go through with their objective.

Last pharmaceuticals are the 2nd biggest problem. They are a huge problem pushing their pills onto people and changing the way society is.

Good points. GPW was just one of hundreds closed around America. In Charlotte, Judy Jones' mission took in many, and others found their way to a number of homeless camps.

You can't treat people with severe mental issues only out of a prescription bottle. And kids in school go off their meds often, for a variety of reasons, parent didn't pick up prescription/ couldn't afford it. Or kids just stopped because they don't like how it made them feel. A good number of these shooters had recently stopped their meds.

Its a complicated problem.

DB, my brother, many people also feel that mentally deranged people exist that perpetuate this evil. But, nothing will be done to address that, because of this default debate: guns.
SK, there are many issues related to mass shooting. Mental health is one of them. Access to certain types of weapons is another. The general frustration so many individuals seem to be experiencing in their lives is a third.

All I am suggesting is this: if changes do not occur on many fronts, we will see horrendous mass shootings (tens of dead) on a regular basis, perhaps a half a dozen a year. For as more evil, or mentally ill, or frustrated (you can take your pick), individuals see they can get their moment of "fame" doing this, they will be emboldened to do so. That is how most people behave. If something seems to work, they do it.

If society as a whole accepts this as the new normal, then more and more individuals like me, who have never owned guns, will feel the need to do so. Now they are those that argue this is a good thing. I take the contrary point of view. The reason I have never owned is because I know I have a temper. So, I have thought it best to not have a lethal weapon at my disposal. However, if I feel we are going in the direction where my life is in danger on a day to day basis, then I will do what is necessary to protect it.

Will this make us better off as a society if everyone is "packing?" Can you really argue that this is preferable? Was the 19th century Wild Wild West a better way to conduct daily life?

I guess society will be the judge. But history has a way of looking back on periods of madness and asking: what the hell were they thinking?

But it's funny that Trump is stressing mental illness when he passed the law taking away mental stability as a requirement to get a gun.

SK, I agree fully. I got very depressed going through my divorce and went to therapy for 1 1/2 years. The meds alone didn't solve the problem.

I also agree about the kids not taking their meds. When I moved from Ft Walton to DC, I cleaned out the cabinet in the boys' bathroom and found lots of unused ritalin. I had to leave for work before they got up. I trusted them to take the meds. Thank goodness they still graduated high school and college without it.

And, I thank God every day that I have awesome kids. Their little transgressions are nothing compared to mass murder!

SK, there are many issues related to mass shooting. If society as a whole accepts this as the new normal, then more and more individuals like me, who have never owned guns, will feel the need to do so...Will this make us better off as a society if everyone is "packing?" Can you really argue that this is preferable? Was the 19th century Wild Wild West a better way to conduct daily life?...I guess society will be the judge. But history has a way of looking back on periods of madness and asking: what the hell were they thinking?

DB, I hear you, there are many issues, societal change among them. Also the lack of stability or guidance at home - this kid's "foster parents" for lack of a better word, allowed him to have that gun knowing the trouble he'd been in and the drugs he was on??

But IMO, society has already accepted a lot of it; do you ever feel that the only time society freaks out about gun violence is after a mass shooting (With Semi-automatic AR-15s) when its primarily white victims, yet in cities like Chicago (Primarily handguns) when its primarily black victims, there is seldom a word? Spike Lee's movie "Chiraq" exposed a little of it, and the Mayor got pissed at him. So that "New Norm" has happened in many large cities a long time ago, and it's been the Wild West for many years (coinciding with the development of the drug trade and the protection of turf).

The media loves this - it fires people up and sells adds, unfortunately, it also helps infect already defective minds to create a constant feed of future shooters.

Here's a headline from Chicago from two days before this school shooting (Its a better year this year):

"In Chicago, 249 people have been shot this year. That is 155 fewer than 2017.
Data through Monday, February 12"

( http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/data/ct-shooting-victims-map-charts-htmlstory.html)

Nikita Khrushchev said "We will bury you from within" he's right on schedule

But it's funny that Trump is stressing mental illness when he passed the law taking away mental stability as a requirement to get a gun... I thank God every day that I have awesome kids. Their little transgressions are nothing compared to mass murder!

Choc, yes I hadn't seen that when I posted it above, that's wrong Trump shouldn't have done that.

And we are lucky, I have 3 boys and none of them has stole a train yet, and they're all settling down; so I've been blessed.

Last edited:
But IMO, society has already accepted a lot of it; do you ever feel that the only time society freaks out about gun violence is after a mass shooting (With Semi-automatic AR-15s) when its primarily white victims, yet in cities like Chicago (Primarily handguns) when its primarily black victims, there is seldom a word?
Race is a part of it. However, I also feel that when multiple people die in one incident, regardless of race or class, it makes bigger headlines causing people to freak out. A person or even two or three getting shot in a larger US city is seen as par for the course and not newsworthy (again largely regardless of race or class unless it is a real bigwig). However, when 10, 20, 30 or more individuals die in one incident, that makes national headlines. It is very disturbing, though, that within the past six months, we have had three of the largest mass murders in the country's history occur.

I don't think we can continue like this.

No we can't that's for sure - but we the people don't figure much into the grand scheme of political decisons anymore. That's reserved for the string pullers that condition us (Football analogy: like extra windsprints do for a 4th quarter drive) and manipulate us to maximize what's best for their bottom line $$$$.

and manipulate us to maximize what's best for their bottom line $$$$.
In the short run that manipulation works. In the longer run, it leads to serious, social unrest. We live in interesting times. Maybe I will be around to see what comes of things, or maybe I will be six feet deep. I am well past my youth.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT