ADVERTISEMENT

Power/WildCard/Playoff Point Rankings

gatorman-uf

Jul 28, 2006
I am not suggesting that less than 12 hours after the games have ended that the FHSAA or others should be releasing an updated power points rankings, but does anybody know how often they will do it? Is it scheduled for a certain day? I have done it for one region of one classification, so I want to see if I did it right.

I hope they would release the information every week (even if it is going to have wild fluctuations and be of little consequence until later in the season). A new system needs to have as much transparency as possible for the coaches, fans, and the media. Those same groups will be faster to check mistakes than the normal one-man administration team at the FHSAA.

I coached in the VHSL back in 95 and 96 and the power points rankings were updated every 2 weeks back then...

They should have it in a database and allow the DB to take care of everything. One issue with the points is they cannot add certain points because its based on a team's current season record. That is different than the one from the mid 90s and early 2000s...I've looked at the spread sheet because I was going to create a spreadsheet but since certain amount of points can't be added because of opponents season record I decided to not do it.

They should have it in a database and allow the DB to take care of everything. One issue with the points is they cannot add certain points because its based on a team's current season record. That is different than the one from the mid 90s and early 2000s...I've looked at the spread sheet because I was going to create a spreadsheet but since certain amount of points can't be added because of opponents season record I decided to not do it.

An excel worksheet that changes the points as you go is the best option and requires a lot of frontloading work on the person. As the season goes, all you would have to do is enter the overall wins and loses and results from the week. If all of the information is available through MaxPreps or other sources an entire classification could probably done in an hour or so. If I had to do it all, I would borrow from the laxindex.com (one of the best sites on the internet for statistical information) their alphabetical listing of all teams names and their win loss records, which would speed up the process.

The schedules have been updated here-on the right side of the page.

http://www.fhsaa.org/sports/football

The points will be released on the Tuesday following week 5 (September 26), Week 7 ( October 10), Week 9 (October 24) and the final released on November 4.

Last edited:
An excel worksheet that changes the points as you go is the best option and requires a lot of frontloading work on the person. As the season goes, all you would have to do is enter the overall wins and loses and results from the week. If all of the information is available through MaxPreps or other sources an entire classification could probably done in an hour or so. If I had to do it all, I would borrow from the laxindex.com (one of the best sites on the internet for statistical information) their alphabetical listing of all teams names and their win loss records, which would speed up the process.

Yes you can keep up with the points using excel which is what I was going to do for 5A Region 3 but again for the final points I would have to wait until the season is over with because of the Category points which are given AFTER the season over and the total games played will be divided by the total points earned. So I would only be able to keep up on the W/L points and figured why even do it since nothing will matter until the season is completed because of the way the system is setup. Yes I could "guesstimate" by the 8th game on who will be seeded where by using the records points by then.

Eye'md juss sayed'n diss two much'd two falloh. Whose'n firss? Whose'd gawt a chance's of maiken dat Payoof'd? Now>,,,? I'md knee'd of sum tooter'n.

I coached in the VHSL back in 95 and 96 and the power points rankings were updated every 2 weeks back then...

" "I always wanted to coach at (fill in the blank), but I never thought he would step down. When I left (fill in the blank), I always told myself that if I ever got back into head coaching, I wanted it to be at (fill in the blank)."

I'm not smart enough to figure out your cryptic message (fill in the blank)...

I do know this, I will not be getting back into head football coaching...

BTW, this is my last year as a Head Coach guy...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT