ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates and Indians anybody watch it?

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
I caught some of the last half, was wondering what you guys thought of the game. Venice gets in some high scoring games and finds a way to hold on - not sure I've ever seen a team with a defense giving up almost 45 points a game and not being a liability yet. PC back had 175yds against them.

This is one of the better teams PC has fielded. Want to hear from you guys who are good picking it apart to see what you think. How did Charles play against much better competition? Do they have the horses yet to get by Naples for the District title?

My curiosities about Venice offensively is how much of what they do is related to the LOS, versus the elite status of its skilled players? They have a 5* WR that transfered in this season from a private school in Naples, Wilder is a 3* but he plays HS ball at much high level than just a 3*, The other RB is a Soph but I watched him last year as a freshman playing JV ball, and to me he looked like a man among boys. Found out later during the season, he was also getting varsity snaps in addition to playing JV ball. I commented the other day to Mark Cannon about 5-8 years ago, Peacock elevated the level of offensive sophistication at Venice. Not taking anything away from the OL, its good but the skilled talent for what Peacock does offensively is really elite! Going to see if I can get idea what the guys on the Venice OL is doing in the weight room, and will report back.

I havent watched the tape of the game to comment on Charles, Port Charlotte isnt posting stats this year so I cant even provide info on that. I dont see how the Venice defense can continue giving up points like it does, before it eventually bites them in the butt!

Reactions: Silver King
I’ve watched some of the first half. From what I understand most of the fireworks were in the 2nd half. Really interested to see what’s going to happen Friday night when Cocoa visits Venice. It will probably be the biggest game in the state and there are a lot great matchups this week.

Interesting watching the Venice broadcast, it was almost as if the kid doing color was clueless to the fact that the Venice defense had been giving up 40+ points a game. Because if this was your 1st exposure to Venice football, the Venice defense was one of the best units in the state, according to this young man. Having said that, I will add this......I only went to last years state weight lifting meet...(didnt look into the regional or district meets), but at the state level most of the kids that qualified (I want to say 5 or 6 kids), are defensive starters on this years Venice defense.....(Landon Masters LB, lifted for Sarasota, Riverview last year). Didnt see anyone on the Venice OL on the state weightlifting spreadsheet?

Venice moves its big OT (also a Sarasota Riverview transfer), to the left and right side of the OL. Charles seemed to move based on where the big Venice OT lined up at, sometimes it was strong side with the TE lined up there as well. I really didnt see Port Charlotte put a DE to the outside of Charles, so basically you have Charles playing as a DE. He was non-fact in what I watched and way too slow to execpt him to do anything but get push up the middle.....but surprised Port Charlotte didn't put anyone lined up to outside particularly when Venice went tight with the TE? Charles just strikes me as a low motor kind of guy, big and strong at the Hs level but that only goes so far at the next level. I just see him being recruited for his potential, but he's going have to crank the RPM's up alot to be successful at the next level......my 2 cents!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT