ADVERTISEMENT

Oxbridge In a Battle

LAZL

Feb 5, 2003
Oxbridge is playing McCallie TN here in Lake Mary tonight and is down 13-7 at halftime. I know it's early but this is somewhat of a surprise. My son (lives in Knoxville) and I have been doing a Lazindex TN this year. McCallie has been quite average and a bit down this year. Pinkos has Oxbridge a 21 pt. favorite and I thought it might even be worse than that. We have to see what happens but if this score holds, it would be a substantial upset.

Oxbridge will go on to win this game, in my mind, the 2nd half, Oxbridge will turn on the jets and blow them out. I'm thinking Oxbridge might have heavy legs from the long drive north and needed a half to organize themselves.

Hope you're right Jessica. I'm always shooting my mouth off about how great we are in Fla. Looks like the guy streaming the score jumped the gun but it's 21-14 McCallie in the 2Q. I stopped by the game when McCallie took a 13-7 lead and was shocked that by the time I got home score stream said it was halftime. I should have stayed.

Coach Socha is one of the best coaches in the state and is a hard guy to outcoach- I'm sure the players got chewed out at the half and will right the ship; however, I agree- never in a million years did I think they'd give up 21 points in this one- especially after their flawless defensive performance against American Heritage a few weeks ago.

I'm blown away that Oxbridge lost this game 28-24. Credit to McCallie for coming to Florida and leaving with a big-time win over an elite Florida program.

You're not joking! This was a game that Oxbridge was expected to win, handily. Have to credit McCallie; however, I've heard from a few people (Lazl mentioned it earlier) McCallie isn't exactly a great program this year- a good program, but Oxbridge has played and beat better teams this year.

I

Florida's elite hasn't been very elite this year. They haven't fared well vs out of state competition.

Good FL teams have done just fine; average to awful teams have predictably done terribly (Lincoln is a prime example) or teams lost that were matched up against teams far better than them (Plant vs. Colquitt Co, CC being a top 10 team in the country). Manatee lost to Hoover, AL; Manatee also lost to Lincoln (LOOK at Lincoln this year).

AHP is 1-1 against quality teams, the loss being a 1 point loss on a missed XP (had they made the XP and won in OT would that have made them exponentially better? - No,). The win is against a top 25 team in GA.

Hallandale did fine against a solid team.

The only game where two opponents were relatively even and the FL team took the loss was Mainland and St. Edward (Miami Central has been beaten in state by Carol City so I don't see much to be down about with them getting killed by Dematha).

Call IMG a national team, a prep school, whatever - they've been beating teams from all over.

Cocoa lost 24-14 to St. Edward (it was 17-14 with 1 minute left), with the game in Ohio, hardly a negative result.

Coconut Creek won their OOS game (against a team that will have a good record in GA, but isn't relevant).

Wakulla lost to the #1 team in South Carolina, a top 25 team in the country. And they beat a team from PA.

Niceville and Venice are a combined 2-0 OOS this year.

No other team from inside the top 35 or so teams in FL played an OOS game except for the ones I mentioned.

Various other results: Tate beat Biloxi, MS; Escambia lost to Jesuit, LA; Oakleaf beat Wayne County, GA; Godby lost to Tucker, GA; Viera lost to Allen, TX (top 10 team in the country); Bay beat Vidor, TX; West Florida beat Cairo, GA.

If anyone wants to draw broad conclusions from that, be my guest, you'll look silly doing so - but go for it.

Last edited:
I realize they are having sub par seasons, Lincoln, Godby, Manatee are all traditional powers and viewed as elite teams frim Fla by most uneducated viewers. That basically includes 90% of the folks out there. As for teams like Oxbridge and Wakulla folks see them make a run deep in the playoffs and say well didn't team x from wherever beat them. It's more about perception than reality, but I know what you are saying DSouth.

Oxbridge is ranked as a top 25 team in most polls for Florida (all classes) and is nationally ranked amung small schools. They feature a deep, talented roster lead by Travis Homer and coached by Doug Socha who flat out wins wherever he goes.

I was skeptical about Oxbridge going into the season; however, I went to the American Heritage vs Oxbridge game a few weeks ago and came away extremely impressed with the Thunerwolves since they shut down a very good team. I was also impressed with how well they've played Miami Carol City. They shut out a good Gulliver Prep team. Overall, for 2015- they're one of the top programs in the state..and despite the loss, still one of the top programs in the state.

Oxbridge should make a deep playoff run this year, but they do have a gauntlet to go through Orlando.

I realize they are having sub par seasons, Lincoln, Godby, Manatee are all traditional powers and viewed as elite teams frim Fla by most uneducated viewers. That basically includes 90% of the folks out there. As for teams like Oxbridge and Wakulla folks see them make a run deep in the playoffs and say well didn't team x from wherever beat them. It's more about perception than reality, but I know what you are saying DSouth.

I think some people put way too much stock into these computer rankings and polls.

Oxbridge is ranked as a top 25 team in most polls for Florida (all classes) and is nationally ranked amung small schools. They feature a deep, talented roster lead by Travis Homer and coached by Doug Socha who flat out wins wherever he goes.

I was skeptical about Oxbridge going into the season; however, I went to the American Heritage vs Oxbridge game a few weeks ago and came away extremely impressed with the Thunerwolves since they shut down a very good team. I was also impressed with how well they've played Miami Carol City. They shut out a good Gulliver Prep team. Overall, for 2015- they're one of the top programs in the state..and despite the loss, still one of the top programs in the state.

Oxbridge should make a deep playoff run this year, but they do have a gauntlet to go through Orlando.

When Oxbridge lost to Carol City many knew that they were not ready for prime time...Inconsistent and play a soft schedule.. New school in Palm Beach county, not yet..

Nu'Trelle: "Doctor, let me ax you somethin. Has you ever used a message board, quoted someone else's comment, and replied?"
Neurosurgeon: "You mean where you hit "Reply", their quote comes up, then you key-in your comments, then hit the "Post Reply" button?"

Nu'Trelle: "Exactly."
Neurosurgeon: "Is THAT the question?"

Nu'Trelle: "No. The question's this. How stupid would someone have to be to NOT figure how to do this proceedure after dozens of attempts?"
Neurosurgeon: "Honestly, it would be very difficult to define that degree of incapability."

Nu'Trelle: "Could you please give it a try?"
Neurosurgeon: "Well, let's take a complete moron. Someone who doesn't know 'up' from 'down'."

Nu'Trelle: "Yeah. Yeah. That sound good."
Neurosurgeon: "If we performed surgery and removed 98% of his brain, he still should be able to figure out how to do things in one post."

Nu'Trelle: "Amazing. A moron could do it wiff 98% of they brain gone?"
Neurosurgeon: "Correct. Have you met the man in person? Do you know where he's from?"

Nu'Trelle: "Never met him. But he tell everyone he from New Jersey."
Neurosurgeon: "Does he use repetitive punctuation marks?"

Nu'Trelle: "All the time. How'd you know?"
Neurosurgeon: "We find it commonplace among the most severely impaired and quite a few are from NJ."

Nu'Trelle: "Is there any way you guys have surgery to make him stop typing?"
Neurosurgeon: "No, but do you think his family would consider donating his brain for scientific research upon his demise?"

Nu'Trelle: "Not sure, but the Moderators would probably give it their okay right now."
Neurosurgeon: "Well, ship it to us when he's finished with it. You won't need much of a box."

Nu'Trelle: "Why you said that?"
Neurosurgeon: "From your description, the man's brain is probably no bigger than a golf ball."

Nu'Trelle: "If his brain that small what's the rest of his head filled wiff?"
Neurosurgeon: "Bravado."

Reactions: blackpopsicle
Nu'Trelle: "Doctor, let me ax you somethin. Has you ever used a message board, quoted someone else's comment, and replied?"
Neurosurgeon: "You mean where you hit "Reply", their quote comes up, then you key-in your comments, then hit the "Post Reply" button?"

Nu'Trelle: "Exactly."
Neurosurgeon: "Is THAT the question?"

Nu'Trelle: "No. The question's this. How stupid would someone have to be to NOT figure how to do this proceedure after dozens of attempts?"
Neurosurgeon: "Honestly, it would be very difficult to define that degree of incapability."

Nu'Trelle: "Could you please give it a try?"
Neurosurgeon: "Well, let's take a complete moron. Someone who doesn't know 'up' from 'down'."

Nu'Trelle: "Yeah. Yeah. That sound good."
Neurosurgeon: "If we performed surgery and removed 98% of his brain, he still should be able to figure out how to do things in one post."

Nu'Trelle: "Amazing. A moron could do it wiff 98% of they brain gone?"
Neurosurgeon: "Correct. Have you met the man in person? Do you know where he's from?"

Nu'Trelle: "Never met him. But he tell everyone he from New Jersey."
Neurosurgeon: "Does he use repetitive punctuation marks?"

Nu'Trelle: "All the time. How'd you know?"
Neurosurgeon: "We find it commonplace among the most severely impaired and quite a few are from NJ."

Nu'Trelle: "Is there any way you guys have surgery to make him stop typing?"
Neurosurgeon: "No, but do you think his family would consider donating his brain for scientific research upon his demise?"

Nu'Trelle: "Not sure, but the Moderators would probably give it their okay right now."
Neurosurgeon: "Well, ship it to us when he's finished with it. You won't need much of a box."

Nu'Trelle: "Why you said that?"
Neurosurgeon: "From your description, the man's brain is probably no bigger than a golf ball."

Nu'Trelle: "If his brain that small what's the rest of his head filled wiff?"
Neurosurgeon: "Bravado."

Man, that was not very nice... you need to remember that there are some members of this board that might be using a Mac. You board designers got to keep it simple. As in one button and one click. 2 buttons and 2 clicks might confuse people.

What you call a Deer that ain't got no eyes?

no-eye-deer...

Man, that was not very nice... you need to remember that there are some members of this board that might be using a Mac. You board designers got to keep it simple. As in one button and one click. 2 buttons and 2 clicks might confuse people.
My mac works. That dude is witless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT