ADVERTISEMENT

Overstreet from Manatee transfers to Plant City

Football941

Feb 23, 2017
http://www.bradenton.com/sports/article164404297.html

I'm not a fan of the transfer rule. Doesn't bother me to make a big point about it, but I do find it interesting you would make a move like this just days before practice is to start.

I think Manatee will find a replacement fairly quickly as Overstreet was for all intensive purposes the starter.

Question for me is, was it a coaching issue he didn't like or was it just a move to another school just because?

Sounds like maybe he liked Booth. Seems he may have struggled with a decision but with Monday being the first day of practice, he had to make a choice.

Reactions: Football941
Few questions
1. How many games has Overstreet won?
2. Who wants a QB that is happy about his performance after a loss.
3. I wouldn't have this kid start on a pop warner team

Few questions
1. How many games has Overstreet won?
2. Who wants a QB that is happy about his performance after a loss.
3. I wouldn't have this kid start on a pop warner team

Don't know him never seen him play.
What I really ask is why? Why stay around until 2-3 days until the first day of practice then leave? Its really not just him its anyone. I don't care personally the feeling is do it sooner rather than later.

On a side note I'm sure Manatee will have plenty of options.

Reactions: peezy28
Don't know the kid either, but its taking a lot of coaching time away from a position coach, and he goes somewhere to a new system that he has to learn (I'm guessing since he's going to an old coach it might be the same system).

I watched a kid move to Michigan, gone for a year and played up there. The parents decided to return two weeks before the season, we were desperate for a Q that year and he didn't have time to get the system down, then we lost the FB. That ended up being probably the worst offense we had in 20 years even though it was one of the few seasons we beat both Ft Myers and Venice. It took two blocked punt returns for the 12-10 win over FM, didn't have much of a kicking game either.

Overstreet has missed a lot of summer workouts because of attending camps. Coach Shakir hasn't been happy with that! Also coach Shakir likes to run the football and isn't going to throw it 30 times a game like Booth. He wants a more athletic QB. Ryan has a very good arm and will be a good one. If the season would start tomorrow he wouldn't be starting with the first unit according to coaches. Manatee has several options at QB! Good luck to Ryan!

I didn't like his throwing motion anyways, felt he short armed the ball on his short to medium routes. If he was missing off-season workouts as TWC2499 indicated, and to wait until the Monday practice is to begin.......best of luck to you son.....Manatee High school wont be looking back I can assure you of that!

Sir Williams might be the guy if the HBC is looking for someone with senior leadership, I believe he was a QB his freshman year as well........otherwise Manatee would have had someone under center to start the season the had no previous varsity experience regardless..............

Go Canes Go!

Actually they have a 6'3 190 senior transfer who has really impressed them! He has been out there all summer. Overstreet was not penciled in as a starter by any means! Sir William and Keyon Fordham can both play. I can see Wiiliams at QB with Josh Booker and Keyon Fordham in the backfield in a heavy run set.

Hey Gatorman.....just wanted you to know that this incoming freshman class is a good one! That size we have been lacking....well in a few years that want be an issue! Weight coach Lansky thinks it's the best group he has seen since he's been at Manatee. Also, Tracey Sanders is back coaching the safety's and Brion Carnes will coach the QB's.

Hey Gatorman.....just wanted you to know that this incoming freshman class is a good one! That size we have been lacking....well in a few years that want be an issue! Weight coach Lansky thinks it's the best group he has seen since he's been at Manatee. Also, Tracey Sanders is back coaching the safety's and Brion Carnes will coach the QB's.[/QUOTE]

We'll aint that just a hoot, Brion's come back to coach the QB position! I was also tickled to see Thor's come back to coach the JV team! There's just too many alumni out there to not have Manatee's football program covered up with alumni that previously played for Joe, and helping out some way or another. I didn't like the hire but football season is just around the corner, and at this point I don't care who's coaching. I'll hope for the best, the program was way better than the results its seen the last 3 years from the bottom ......up!

Go Canes Go!

Having alumni on you staff is what has been lacking on the lower levels for a long time. These guys have been though the wars and know the tradition! Having coaches that have no ties to the school is why the lower levels have been hurting. We are finally getting these young guys out there who have tons of energy and enthusiasm for the program. These guys have bled on all levels of football. It great to see these guys wanting to give back!!

t

Having alumni on you staff is what has been lacking on the lower levels for a long time. These guys have been though the wars and know the tradition! Having coaches that have no ties to the school is why the lower levels have been hurting. We are finally getting these young guys out there who have tons of energy and enthusiasm for the program. These guys have bled on all levels of football. It great to see these guys wanting to give back!!

t

Last edited:

I echo your sentiments twc. It's not a must with all program's, but local home grown coaches that come back to their roots shouldn't ever be underestimated. They've been there, done that and know the school community. Many at my "Homer" school (Mainland) are male role models to the young ball players. They fill a void that sometimes isn't there. The reason the Bucs have been to the playoffs for 23 consecutive years, besides an abundance of athletic talent, is a stable core group of coaches who grew up in Daytona neighborhoods and make the program an intrical part of their life. All staffs can't or won't do that. Mainland's does.......Buc Forever

Same thing at Charotte Danny (heard we got to face you guys at USF 7-7 last week), but we don't have the abundence of talent end of it. We have the longest running HC in the area, he played here and so did a core of coaches. We have younger guys grooming, one from my youngest's son's team. Its how we squeeze blood out of turnips around here.

Actually they have a 6'3 190 senior transfer who has really impressed them! He has been out there all summer. Overstreet was not penciled in as a starter by any means! Sir William and Keyon Fordham can both play. I can see Wiiliams at QB with Josh Booker and Keyon Fordham in the backfield in a heavy run set.

Hey Gatorman.....just wanted you to know that this incoming freshman class is a good one! That size we have been lacking....well in a few years that want be an issue! Weight coach Lansky thinks it's the best group he has seen since he's been at Manatee. Also, Tracey Sanders is back coaching the safety's and Brion Carnes will coach the QB's.

RED ALERT RED ALERT HURRICANE WARNING GATORMAN WILL NOT LIKE THAT NEWS!!!!

Peezy, you need to read all the post on this topic before posting "RED ALERTS"
;)

Go Canes Go!
I'm joking with ya man lol for those that know the joke yourself included should get a chuckle (I saw your post and was surprised non the less lol)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT