ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Drums of War

Just pray my son does not get deployed there. He goes to a school next week then will change bases in August. Hopefully, that will make him undeployable for the summer.

This one act alone will not lead to war I do not think... Will be interesting to see what happens next...

This one act alone will not lead to war I do not think... Will be interesting to see what happens next...

The wild card is: will we continue.

If we do, it is possible Russian soldiers may die (they are many of them there). If they do, then I have no idea where this goes, as, unfortunately, both countries could nuke the world into oblivion. Normally, I would not be too concerned, but with the current leadership of both countries, I am not so sure.

Choc, I hope your son stays out of harm's way and that if he is deployed he is spared death or injury.

Choc, hope things settle down but with the island issue between China and Japan, and the nut in North Korea, I'm not seeing it. He's good for a while it sounds, maybe it will calm down by the fall.

Two piece and a biscuit?
l1ORifT.jpg

Reactions: blackpopsicle
Just a suggestion, play the clip - better flow then having to go back and explain it. Because peeps on here like Peezy prolly not old enough to see any of Mel Brooks' movies or understand how generational funny they were.

Reactions: Hwy17
Trump card is working. China folding on NK. Only reason Putin is not folding is because of his forward operating bases in Syria that give him a militaristic sphere of influence in the middle east. That will not change. If Russia DID agree to a shift in power it'd be a huge US win. But again, Russia losing forward op bases in Shria will not change.

Wasn't 100% sure I'd say it, bravo Don.

That may be because China's fixing to put all their eggs in the Senkaku Islands basket. But I like your take on the Rooskies.

And it continues. My only hope is: we avoid thermonuclear war. I am optimistic but concerned.

I don't think those in charge fully appreciate that with great power comes great responsibility.

And it continues. My only hope is: we avoid thermonuclear war. I am optimistic but concerned.

I don't think those in charge fully appreciate that with great power comes great responsibility.

Only way we go Thurmo Nuclear would be against another Nuclear power... IE Russia or UNK.... Its not out of the realm of possibility that happens with NK but I don't think it will... The MOAB probably destroyed an underground or mountainous compound and it also was an ultimate "my d*** is bigger than yours" move for the rest of the world.

Only way we go Thurmo Nuclear would be against another Nuclear power... IE Russia or UNK.... Its not out of the realm of possibility that happens with NK but I don't think it will... The MOAB probably destroyed an underground or mountainous compound and it also was an ultimate "my d*** is bigger than yours" move for the rest of the world.

The my d++k is bigger than yours did not work well in the long run in the hood I grew up in and I don't think it is the way to conduct foreign policy. It makes the world a more dangerous place. NK does not have the nukes to pose a serious threat to the USA at this point. Yes, it could do some damage, but no, it would have no chance of prevailing. The risk is if we nuke them, China may feel it has no recourse but to act. It is right on their border. I mean: how would we feel if Canada or Mexico, for that matter, got nuked? My guess is we would see it as an imminent threat. I am just not sure that this administration is capable of thinking through some of this stuff and I am concerned that things could escalate beyond anything we now believe could happen.

During the Cold War, which I lived through as a boy and young man, at least cooler heads prevailed.

The my d++k is bigger than yours did not work well in the long run in the hood I grew up in and I don't think it is the way to conduct foreign policy. It makes the world a more dangerous place. NK does not have the nukes to pose a serious threat to the USA at this point. Yes, it could do some damage, but no, it would have no chance of prevailing. The risk is if we nuke them, China may feel it has no recourse but to act. It is right on their border. I mean: how would we feel if Canada or Mexico, for that matter, got nuked? My guess is we would see it as an imminent threat. I am just not sure that this administration is capable of thinking through some of this stuff and I am concerned that things could escalate beyond anything we now believe could happen.

During the Cold War, which I lived through as a boy and young man, at least cooler heads prevailed.

We need not use Nukes at all... But if we were to obliterate NK whether that be Nukes MOAB ground force or drone strikes the deal would probably be "Hey China guess what we have a gift for you"

EC, the problem is: the USA much more resembles the South at the time of the Civil War than it does the North. China, on the other hand, more closely resembles the North. They manufacture, we consume. It is probably moot as we would exterminate each other. But I don't fancy our chances if we picked a major war with China. Having been there, it has an energy we no longer have.

Reactions: peezy28
Yeah DarterBlue2, you're being tempted to apply that to our generations mechanics of war, but if the missiles start flying, production isn't going to mean much. Hell they've got stockpiles of bombs anyway that they used to remind us could destroy the world dozens of times over. But we're humans, and never underestimate a leader with button who wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

Something else about the Civil War that goes beyond production that is seldom considered. The south had slaves, and while there were some who fought on the side of the confederacy, the old boys weren't too keen about arming them to fight the Yankee aggressors. The North, on the other hand had poor Irish immigrants flowing into the country post Potato famine that needed a job and soldering was readily available.

Yeah DarterBlue2, you're being tempted to apply that to our generations mechanics of war, but if the missiles start flying, production isn't going to mean much. Hell they've got stockpiles of bombs anyway that they used to remind us could destroy the world dozens of times over. But we're humans, and never underestimate a leader with button who wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

Something else about the Civil War that goes beyond production that is seldom considered. The south had slaves, and while there were some who fought on the side of the confederacy, the old boys weren't too keen about arming them to fight the Yankee aggressors. The North, on the other hand had poor Irish immigrants flowing into the country post Potato famine that needed a job and soldering was readily available.

Very true; and this is what concerns me. A nuclear war with Russia or China (one of the big nuclear powers), would set the world back centuries at a minimum. The victory would be pyrrhic at best. I could see a scenario where half the world's population or more would be wiped out (including those that did not want war and for that matter could not fight war). Is this where we want to go?

Carl Sagan, whom I had a great deal of respect for, once mused that the lack of contact between us and advanced life elsewhere could be due to one of two factors: 1. It does not exist because intelligence is ultimately self destructive. 2. They look at us as way too volatile to be worthy of contact. Of course there could be many other reasons, as for one, maybe such life does not and has never existed. But the perspective is food for thought.

Regarding your second paragraph, no doubt there is also much credence to it as an important factor. It would take a special master/slave relationship (and no doubt some existed), for a master to arm his slaves.

Great stuff, (I'll get the dictionary out and look up 'pyrrhic', but I think I can guess its meaning). I agree with Sagan - hell maybe that's where we're headed by design, get rid of half the population who aren't good enough consumers to keep markets cranking.

I always thought natural disasters and wars were God's way of controlling the population. Why else would they happen?

Reactions: Silver King
Also every time a nuke is exploded on the surface layers of ozone burn off.... I figure a good 15 on frequent concession would cause a chain reaction that would basically burn up the whole ozone hence the planet would cook itseld

Reactions: DarterBlue2
Are you bringing the Global Warning debate into Nuclear War? Is this some kind of resistance movement thing? Ah ha ha ha...

Nah not global warming conversation.
Are you bringing the Global Warning debate into Nuclear War? Is this some kind of resistance movement thing? Ah ha ha ha...

NOOOO... because for some reason the environment of our planet has become politicized when it should not be but for obvious reasons it is $$$.

I will just say this... If you believe the Ozone layer exists (and if you don't then this conversation doesn't even pertain to you and you likely also think the earth is flat), then you will know what it is made of and what its purpose is. Nuclear Fission is in direct contrast to this as the end result is an explosion with the power of a small sun.... The Ozone blocks the sun from one direction... When hit with equal force from the opposite direction... Well we can talk science stuff all day but the end point is Nuclear Radiation kills... Lots and lots and lots of it in concentrated efforts can probably eliminate a species..... Ours.

Nah not global warming conversation.

NOOOO... because for some reason the environment of our planet has become politicized when it should not be but for obvious reasons it is $$$.

I will just say this... If you believe the Ozone layer exists (and if you don't then this conversation doesn't even pertain to you and you likely also think the earth is flat), then you will know what it is made of and what its purpose is. Nuclear Fission is in direct contrast to this as the end result is an explosion with the power of a small sun.... The Ozone blocks the sun from one direction... When hit with equal force from the opposite direction... Well we can talk science stuff all day but the end point is Nuclear Radiation kills... Lots and lots and lots of it in concentrated efforts can probably eliminate a species..... Ours.

Ours and most, if not all, of the rest of the animal kingdom. I was a teenager/young adult in the 1970s. I remember that the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were still feeling the effects of the much tamer bombs that hit them 30 to 35 years after the fact. Nukes are pretty scary stuff and not to be used triflingly.

A lot of leaders spent a lot of time avoiding nuclear war. I hope Trump has the sense to do the same!

Ours and most, if not all, of the rest of the animal kingdom. I was a teenager/young adult in the 1970s. I remember that the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were still feeling the effects of the much tamer bombs that hit them 30 to 35 years after the fact. Nukes are pretty scary stuff and not to be used triflingly.

Cock roaches would survive that's about it

Kurt Vonnegut wrote a book about the cockroaches surviving, they were the superior beings in the universe.

Peezy, if Vadim, the missile tech who finished last in his class at Paldiski, gets the 'go' order on his Soviet Aasen-Class submarine out in the Atlantic or Gulf, and somehow miss-entered target info for one of the nuclear-tipped cruise missile destined for the US Central Command in Tampa sending it south 100 miles, I can assure you, I'll not be thinking of the ozone.

If they hit Tampa you wouldn't be thinking about it either the radiation effects would be felt from Clearwater to Daytona and probably all the way down to Naples.

Oh and with Nukes.... their targets are either gonna get hit or get knocked out of the sky by our amazing missle defense system... Which is part of the reason I don't worry about them Nuking us by missle from sub or Siberia out missle defense system is straight from Mars lol. We know when a Russian sub sailor has the sniffles let alone if they decide to launch.

OK, tell me about that failed North Korean test, hackers?

You can't compare North Korean Nuclear Capabilities to Russians... the Russians are probably just as good as us if not slightly less. The North Koreans handling nukes is like putting a 5 year old in a play pen with 3 fully loaded hand guns 2 machete knives and a grenade and say "don't touch any of this stuff kid I will be back in an hour"

Its a reason why some people don't have them or shouldn't.

[QUOTE="
Its a reason why some people don't have them or shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Children, weapons or both?

We can only hope!

Did we educate any of the North Koreans? We have educated a lot of the middle easterners who are now fighting against us. I hate when colleges bring in foreign students for diversity then they either stay here and attack us or go home and fight against us. There's enough diversity in the US population. All they want is more money!

Think I may go to the UWF spring game this weekend. I saw the first game they ever played last fall against Ave Maria University. I want to see how much they improved. BTW, they beat Ave Maria who has been playing for 5 years. There's a lot of talent in the panhandle that never gets considered by D-1 programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT